Reload this Page >

Night Court 30th Anniversary Tribute Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-28-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"Night Court didn't try to be cool. It wasn't the cool show. It was seltzer down your pants; it was an elephant coming into the court room; a guy falling from their desk through the ceiling."-- Markie Post

I've been on a heavy Night Court binge over the weekend in a late celebration of it's 30th anniversary. As far as I can see, it's still so funny that it can almost work as an antidepressant.

The early to mid years were the best and when Reinhold Weege left the show in 89, it's quality did wane. But, the first 6-7 seasons were comic gold. It was an ensemble show with not a slacker in the cast. Of course, John Larroquette was the obvious star as sleazy DA Dan Fielding (the prototype for Glenn Quagmire on Family Guy) as he was the linchpin character. Not to mention the cavalcade of reoccurring characters from Buddy (played by the impeccable John Astin) to Art the idiot handy man to Phil the derelict.

It pisses me off that this has never gotten a PROPER DVD release (calling Shout Factory! If ever a TV show deserves a Complete Series release with FACTORY PRESSED discs, this is it!)

Putting that minor bitterness aside, my favorite episode is "Who Was That Mashed Man" with Teri Hatcher as a forbidden temptress trying to get into Dan's pants. The ending's a classic.

Feel free to share your favorite Night Court memories here!
Old 07-28-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Night Court 30th Anniversary Tribute Thread

Loved Night Court. Wish it were on Netflix.
Old 07-28-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
It pisses me off that this has never gotten a PROPER DVD release (calling Shout Factory! If ever a TV show deserves a Complete Series release with FACTORY PRESSED discs).
You can get Seasons 6-9 on pressed discs through Warner Archive. They still have they replicated discs in stock so they're not DVD-R. The only seasons that aren't factory pressed as of right now are Seasons 4 & 5.

Last edited by My Other Self; 07-28-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan Fielding might just be the greatest character in the history of theater, film, television and literature.
Old 07-28-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beyond loving Dan Fielding I really enjoyed the Brent Spiner character and his family.

And while not part of the original cast, I really preferred the second female lead over the first. Funnier and much, much more better looking.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-28-14 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

The first female lead on Night Court was Meatloaf's partner in Paradise By the Dashboard Lights, iirc.

Beyond Laroquette, I never loved the show. Thought Harry was always better on Cheers than on his own show. Still it was pretty funny and was a better way to kill the 30 minutes between Cheers and Hill Street Blues (or L.A. Law) than anything else -- ah, life before DVR.
Old 07-28-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"That's not Herb tea, that's Herb!"

One of the funniest lines I remember from that show. I loved that show so much, but I fear if I ever saw it again, it won't be nearly as funny as when I watched it as a kid. But I'd still like to see it again.
Old 07-28-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved this show back in the day.

Markie Post was one of my early TV crushes, and Harry Anderson was just cool. (loved his appearances on Cheers, too)

Old 07-28-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post

Markie Post was one of my early TV crushes
Same
Old 07-29-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Beyond Laroquette, I never loved the show. Thought Harry was always better on Cheers than on his own show. Still it was pretty funny and was a better way to kill the 30 minutes between Cheers and Hill Street Blues (or L.A. Law) than anything else -- ah, life before DVR.
Seemed like they found ways for the Night court Harry to act like the Cheers a few times. Almost like a nod to one show from the other.

And I forgot to mention that I liked the replacement for the old bailiff better than the original as well. If only the writing was as good after they improved the cast.
Old 07-29-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For such a long-running and popular show, it's disappeared completely off the cultural radar.
Old 07-29-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
For such a long-running and popular show, it's disappeared completely off the cultural radar.
I don't remember it syndicated at all in the late 90s or 2000s, and I watched a lot of TV then. I vaguely remember Nick at Nite or TV Land showing it for a short time about 10 years ago, but that's it.

Encore Classics started showing it every night a few months ago.
Old 07-29-14, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
And I forgot to mention that I liked the replacement for the old bailiff better than the original as well. If only the writing was as good after they improved the cast.
I liked Selma, Thelma and Roz.
Old 07-29-14, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I liked Selma, Thelma and Roz.
Actually, it was Selma, Florence, and Roz. (Just sayin)
Old 07-29-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great show. Seems somewhat tame now, but it pushed the envelope for network TV at the time.

I think I have a couple seasons on DVD (first one was kind of the epitome of a TV show that needed to sort out its cast and concept before it got good) and should get more.

Anyway, moments I still remember:

I still think of head cheese as the nadir of lunch meats, and I always think of Markie Post's dad staying with her and making her lunches. "Ah, Dad--head cheese again?!"

Or some older woman calling Christine/Markie "a ____ [I forget what] with a padded bra," to which she pointed at her chest said, "Listen, lady: these are factory originals!"

Or Dan talking about Christine getting pregnant and looking at her chest and screaming "How could those things get any bigger?!"

Yeah, I had a thing for Markie Post as well.

Or the power going out in the courthouse and Bull saying they'd get colder and colder till their extremities froze and broke off. Harry looked at the "gavel cozy" Christine had given him and said "Not me." and walked out of the courtroom.
Old 07-29-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Not entirely, 30 Rock had some of the cast on under the guise of filming a reunion episode in 2008.
Old 07-29-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The first female lead on Night Court was Meatloaf's partner in Paradise By the Dashboard Lights, iirc.

She was a lot more than that, she put out two great albums backed up by The Clash (under the name "the Lash") and sang on quite a few Clash tunes. That being said I prefer her music to her role on Night Court and Christine was really the best female lead on the show.

I love LOVE Night Court. I am a huge Barney Miller fan, and you can see the DNA of that show in Night Court (especially in the first couple of seasons) which makes sense since Reinhold Wiege was a Barney Miller writer. The show definitely got sillier and more cartoonish as it went on, but was always entertaining. Between Night Court and the Warriors New York was never the way I pictured it being whenever I'd visit.
Old 07-29-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched episodes as a kid with my parents. TVLand did air reruns in the early 2000s and I watched the episodes again. Yesterday, I saw that one of the Encore channels is now airing reruns. I'm not sure if the reruns just started or have been on for awhile.
Old 07-29-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just did a search and for those with Comcast, the entire series is available On Demand.

Edit: Although you're better off using the search function because On Demand has it listed by episode which is all out of whack.
Old 07-29-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I loved this show as well. Great ensemble cast with many memorable episodes -- Christine's Friend being one of my faves, for obvious reasons.

Christine Sullivan:  Are you two done mentally undressing my friend?
Dan Fielding:  Hold it a sec.

Old 07-29-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This, my friends, is why John Larroquette is the man!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wShcaqhThFA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sorry about the crummy quality, it's the best version I could find.
Old 07-29-14, 11:23 AM

I always liked this ending.

Old 07-29-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I looked after a Parakeet for an older couple who had flood damage back in 2008, and the bird would sometimes talk about wanting to watch Night Court. When the owners were finally able to pick up the birds, I mentioned how we thought that was funny, and she said that they've never once watched the show.

So it's somehow on the Parakeet cutural radar.
Old 07-29-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I loved that show when I was a kid.

There was one episode where someone was choking on a hot dog and someone gave them the Hemlich, which sent the hot dog into Dan's coffee (iirc) - he didn't see it land, drank it and said "Ah...Columbian. The richest kind."

I still think about that line anytime I drink coffee.

I'd marathon that show in a heartbeat.
Old 07-29-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My favorite episode is still "I'm Okay, You're Catatonic/Schizophrenic".

Shelley Berman gives a great performance as Buddy's friend Al, and the hearing at the end goes from humor to pathos (no, not the Musketeer ) and back again. It was very touching.

Spoiler:
"I don't know what's real anymore.

When I was young, my mother told me Santa Claus was real. But when I got older... she told me he wasn't.

One book says Jesus is real; one book says he isn't.

We're living in the greatest country in the world... and we're murdering each other in the streets.

What did they expect when they made us believe in the tooth fairy and the easter bunny ... then gave us the nuclear bomb to play with?

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle ... is a lie like all the rest. The astronauts killed the man in the moon ... growing up took care of the rest."

Last edited by Kmical; 07-29-14 at 01:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.