Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Elsbeth (CBS) -- S: Carrie Preston, Wendell Pierce -- Comedy/Drama from the Creators of The Good Wife

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Elsbeth (CBS) -- S: Carrie Preston, Wendell Pierce -- Comedy/Drama from the Creators of The Good Wife

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

CARRIE PRESTON STARS AS ELSBETH TASCIONI, AN ASTUTE BUT UNCONVENTIONAL ATTORNEY WHO USES HER SINGULAR POINT OF VIEW TO MAKE UNIQUE OBSERVATIONS AND CORNER BRILLIANT CRIMINALS ALONGSIDE THE NYPD, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "ELSBETH," THURSDAY, FEB. 29

"Elsbeth" Is Based on the Character Featured in "The Good Wife" and "The Good Fight"

Series Also Stars Wendell Pierce and Carra Patterson with Stephen Moyer Guest Starring in Premiere

"Pilot" - Carrie Preston stars as Elsbeth Tascioni, an astute but unconventional attorney who utilizes her singular point of view to make unique observations and corner brilliant criminals alongside the NYPD. After leaving her successful legal career in Chicago to tackle a new investigative role in New York City, Elsbeth finds herself jockeying with the toast of the NYPD, Captain C.W. Wagner (Wendell Pierce), a charismatic and revered leader. Working alongside Elsbeth is Officer Kaya Blanke (Carra Patterson), a stoic and ethical officer who quickly develops an appreciation for Elsbeth's insightful and offbeat ways. In the premiere, when a college theater student is mysteriously found dead in her high-rise New York City apartment, Elsbeth immediately suspects foul play and enters a game of wits against the victim's popular theater director Alex Modarian (guest star Stephen Moyer) who she believes is involved. Throughout the evolution of the murder investigation, Elsbeth must balance her consent decree role with the NYPD and her uncommon methods to make her case and uncover the real killer, on the series premiere of ELSBETH, Thursday, Feb. 29 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network and streaming on Paramount+ (live and on demand for Paramount+ with SHOWTIME subscribers, or on demand for Paramount+ Essential subscribers the day after the episode airs)*.

STORY BY: Robert King and Michelle King

DIRECTED BY: Robert King

EXECUTIVE PRODUCED BY: Robert King, Michelle King, Jonathan Tolins, and Liz Glotzer with Tolins serving as showrunner

Read more: Listings - ELSBETH on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com Listings - ELSBETH on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com

Elsbeth Tascioni was introduced in The Good Wife and also appeared in The Good Fight.

I liked her. She was such a weird lawyer. Glad she got a spinoff. I like seeing an unconventional procedural.

Sepinwall gave it a positive review and he's a real hard ass these days on TV

Variety also gave it a good review: https://variety.com/2024/tv/reviews/...ff-1235922490/

If this type of show isn't your cup of tea or simply have no time for it, it's all good. Just posting a thread.

I loved and watched every episode of The Good Wife, but never really watched The Good Fight. I am a fan of The Kings work as writers and directors.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-29-24 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-29-24, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Elsbeth (CBS) -- S: Carrie Preston, Wendell Pierce -- Comedy/Drama from the Creators of The Good Wife

I liked the character but am not sure if I can take a whole series of her.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (03-01-24)
Old 02-29-24, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Elsbeth (CBS) -- S: Carrie Preston, Wendell Pierce -- Comedy/Drama from the Creators of The Good Wife

Originally Posted by davidh777
Understandable. The character is a little eccentric.
Old 02-29-24, 08:01 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

My wife and I love the Elsbeth character, we'll be checking this one out.
Old 02-29-24, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I know nothing of the character or shows it's a spinoff from but I'll be checking it out just for Wendell Pierce.
Old 02-29-24, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

What is this new TV series, a female version of Columbo?
Old 02-29-24, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Never watched the Good Wife but I get Monk and Psych vibes from the trailer so I am going to give it a shot.
Old 03-01-24, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Nope. That show is Poker Face, this is a spin off series.
Old 03-01-24, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Nope. That show is Poker Face, this is a spin off series.
Have not watched it yet but I meant to say Monk not Columbo.
Old 03-01-24, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Elsbeth episode 2 won't air until April. Stupid scheduling. Elsbeth should have aired in April then if these conflicts would happen.

Due to the State of the Union Address airing next week… presumably a decision to dodge the return of ABC’s Thursday slate on March 14… and then CBS’ March Madness coverage, Elsbeth Episode 2 won’t arrive until April 4. In five weeks. Which is its own kind of madness.

Old 03-01-24, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I feel the same way but once I saw Wendell Pierce's name, I was in.
Old 03-01-24, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Basically. The eccentric investigator who nobody takes seriously, but is picking up all the little clues that undo a perfect crime.

I love this format for a detective show, but Elsbeth might be a little too eccentric for me.
Old 03-02-24, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

So a female version of Monk?
Old 03-02-24, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
So a female version of Monk?
It's not the best comparison, since Monk was so defined by his OCD. To me, Monk was more of a Holmes figure, who amassed clues that np one else notices until it lead him to a conclusion. Whereas, and there has only been one episode, Elsbeth uses her great knowledge of criminal behavior to intuit the solution to the crime, and then seeks to amass evidence that supports her narrative.

A better comparison, based on the first episode, is Columbo. Elsbeth does not accept appearances at face value, and so looks past the obvious answers or clues that the police are eager to accept. The other similarity to Columbo is that Elsbeth's quirky behavior and personality lead to everyone underestimating her, principally the murderer. Also, like Columbo, at least in the pilot, she presents herself as a friendly figure to her suspect, disarming them.
Old 03-02-24, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds interesting to me.
Old 03-04-24, 08:08 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

That was the vibe I go as well. It was meh, but I'll stick with it to see if it gets better.
Old 03-04-24, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts

This is getting a hard push online and I find that promo image so damn offputting. Even Wendell whom I love to watch will not pull me in for this one. Hard pass on that kind of quirky BS,
Old 03-04-24, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
A better comparison, based on the first episode, is Columbo. Elsbeth does not accept appearances at face value, and so looks past the obvious answers or clues that the police are eager to accept. The other similarity to Columbo is that Elsbeth's quirky behavior and personality lead to everyone underestimating her, principally the murderer. Also, like Columbo, at least in the pilot, she presents herself as a friendly figure to her suspect, disarming them.
It's very "Columbo". I'll give it another, though I didn't think there'd be a month between episodes, which might be a mistake. Knowing my personal taste, I could see myself watching another episode and suddenly getting the urge to turn it off in the middle.
Old 03-04-24, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
This is getting a hard push online and I find that promo image so damn offputting. Even Wendell whom I love to watch will not pull me in for this one. Hard pass on that kind of quirky BS,

Makes sense not to watch it first I guess.

Anyway this show is very much Columbo more then Monk.
I like it. Hopefully they keep the female police officer on as a “patrtner” to Elsbeth.
Also I need more from the Captain Wagner character. Pierce was under used.

Also this is 4K on P+
Old 03-04-24, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Wasn't aware of this show or the character(from The Good Wife) until a couple days ago. I like the lead actress so I'll eventually give it a shot.
Old 03-13-24, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked Elsbeth. It was quirky and also funny. Her inquisitive nature was the best part. It reminded me of one of those old school detective procedurals like Columbo. And she uses her experience as a defense attorney to see behind the suspicious behavior.

And you all had to notice that it was a Bill and Arlene reunion from True Blood.

at the Cary Agos reference. If you never watched The Good Wife, you wouldn’t get it. The little call at the end with Elsbeth actually being undercover for the justice department was an interesting reveal.

But, I could see her character being annoying to some. So YMMV.
Old 03-13-24, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I liked it also. My only little nitpick was that they revealed the bad guy up front. Hopefully they switch that up and don't do it every episode. Monk kinda went that way as the show went along and I didn't like it as much.
Old 03-13-24, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Liked it, the bit about 20 NYPD just standing around the crime scene was spot on.
Old 03-20-24, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked the episode enough to keep watching. I hope it ‘s not all “I notice stuff the police don’t notice” every week.
Old 04-14-24, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Three episodes in, and I’m still watching. I think the stories are pretty good, but that’s not a surprise as The Good Wife was my favorite show for a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.