Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One and Only TV FAQ Thread Plus Renewal and Cancellation News

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: The One and Only TV FAQ Thread Plus Renewal and Cancellation News

Blood Bath at The CW. This is probably the most shows they’ve cancelled in over 10 years.
Old 05-12-22, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I usually only watch reality competition shows on broadcast network tv now (Shark Tank, Survivor, Amazing Race, Tough As Nails, and Holey Moley). All the really good comedies and dramas are now on streaming services. It’s sad how far the quality of network tv has fallen. I have no desire to watch three hours of FBI on CBS on Tuesdays and the triple power hours of Chicago Fire, Med, and PD on NBC.
The following users liked this post:
etching (08-31-22)
Old 05-12-22, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This week was a bloodbath for Network shows, honestly, I am going to clean house on my season pass list and just move on knowing some of the shows I watch are not coming back, even if some of them still have a season left to air before they are really off the air.

The cancellation of Mr. Mayor hurts, same with Kenan...but I was drifting away from many CW shows lately, and yes, like you DJariya, I just could not separate learning how much of a douche nozzle Matt Davis is from his persona on Legacies. I can usually do this, unlike folks who walked away from doing things like re-watching Mel Gibson films, to this day I still enjoy the hell out of the Lethal Weapon series, granted he is a movie star not a tv star, but still, also able to usually separate a musician being a douche in real life and just enjoy their music, but for some reason I could not do this with Matt Davis.

I noticed that How We Roll is cancelled, but will just continue to watch until the last produced episode that is already in the can airs.

As far as the new shows being green-lit, meh....it has become harder and harder for me to really go all in on getting excited for upcoming shows. All these cancellations are not as shocking as I thought they would be to me.
Old 05-12-22, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Nora From Queens renewed for season 3!

https://deadline.com/2022/05/awkwafi...al-1235022223/
Old 05-12-22, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
And the vast majority have moved on from broadcast network TV.
The funny thing is that people still get into broadcast shows, but they find them on streaming platforms. I've had people think certain shows were Netflix originals that were broadcast shows.
Old 05-12-22, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
After 3 seasons too, just like the original.
Well it’s still going to air it’s 4th season that they shot, so not technically the same as the original.

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2022/05/good-sa...aa5dee56334940

Good Sam with Sophia Bush and Jason Isaacs also got cancelled. I didn't even bother bringing up this show here as I know this forum mostly loathes medical shows.
We watched the premier but it didn’t grab us. Idea wasn’t bad, but something was off.
Old 05-13-22, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This last season was pretty bad. Apparently the lead star, Danielle Rose, hated her character's romance with Landon. Writers acquiesced by sending Landon off into a perpetual b-plot for all of season four basically isolated from the rest of the cast, one of the most baffling creative decisions I've ever seen on television.
Old 05-13-22, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

https://deadline.com/2022/05/magnum-...ns-1235018361/

Magnum PI cancelled

Damn, I like this show. It's fun and escapism entertainment. And I loved seeing Hawaii every week.
So do I and way better than NCIS:Hawaii.
The following users liked this post:
randian (05-13-22)
Old 05-13-22, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

ABC is the opposite of the CW this year, renewing a ton of bubble shows, plus their unscripted shows:
Big Sky
A Million Little Things
The Conners
Wonder Years
Home Economics
American Idol
AFHV
Celebrity Wheel of Fortune
Shark Tank
The Bachelor
Old 05-13-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Well that certainly sucks. Mr. Mayor, United States of Al, B Positive and Magnum were shows that I actually looked forward to each week. Magnum was a good mindless replacement for Hawaii Five-0, plus Higgins was a joy to watch. I also watched Endgame, but I am less upset about that one, as I can just continue watching the Blacklist.
Old 05-14-22, 08:38 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

https://deadline.com/2022/05/magnum-...ns-1235018361/

Magnum PI cancelled

Damn, I like this show. It's fun and escapism entertainment. And I loved seeing Hawaii every week.
Wonder if NBC will pick up this show for another season on the Peacock streaming service.
Old 05-14-22, 08:50 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I have no desire to watch three hours of FBI on CBS on Tuesdays and the triple power hours of Chicago Fire, Med, and PD on NBC.
I'll watch live the three hour blocks of FBI (tuesday), Chicago (wednesday), Law & Order (thursday) if I'm at home during those respective evenings. I don't even bother recording these shows to the dvr anymore. (ie. Too much stuff to go through, which ends up being deleted unwatched).

I'll only record sundays 60 minutes, NCIS:LA, Equalizer, SWAT and mondays NCIS + NCIS: Hawaii to the dvr.
Old 05-14-22, 11:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've really enjoyed Mr. Mayor. Sorry to see it go. Most of the others, I couldn't care less about.

As for the CW shows, the only ones I watch are Superman & Lois and All American (the original, not the spin-off). I'm usually good for one or two seasons of Berlanti's superhero series until they get too wacko. The Bizarro world plotline is stretching the boundary.

Unlike a lot of you, I guess, I enjoy the medical dramas for casual watching, even Good Sam, although it is clearly the worst of the bunch, so I'm not sorry it's leaving. The only problem with watching them all (Chicago Med, Good Doctor, The Resident, New Amsterdam) is that they are so alike that I get the characters mixed up. Which black doctor is in an open relationship and which one's girlfriend got deported? Which psychiatrist is gay and which one has a black daughter? But IMO The Resident is clearly the best, if only to see just how low Matt Czuchry's voice can go. He basically just growls all the time now. If that show gets renewed, I just might need a new subwoofer.
Old 05-15-22, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I watch Grey's Anatomy, The Good Doctor, The Resident, and New Amsterdam. It's amazing how often they have similar storylines. I think they've all had episodes where the hospital is hacked by cyber terrorists demanding a ransom. Another one they all seem to do is a new character or company takes over the hospital and only cares about making money at the expense of patients lives. The doctors have to come together to drive out the evils forces. There was a storyline about a patient who had a condition that produced alcohol inside their body that appeared within weeks of each other on different shows...I think Grey's and The Resident.
Old 05-15-22, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

My wife and I both enjoyed B Positive, but more so for Annaleigh Ashford. I think she looks a lot like Linda Lavin too, in the eyes at least.

Magnum was fun. I didn't consistently watch the original but watched this from the beginning.
We watched Good Sam because of Bush, but nothing special going on there. Won't miss.

I liked In the Dark, horny hot blind girl was a plus. They really went off the rails in S3. 4400 was interesting to start then kind of fizzled out for me. Watching S3 of Roswell now, but won't miss it, never watched the original. Will probably watch the last season assuming it's on Netflix.

I liked Mr. Mayor and Kenan, but if they weren't going to be on Hulu anymore I wouldn't be watching anyway. But would have continued watching Young Rock, and probably American Auto, but the misses far outweighed the hits so far on that one.
Endgame, I felt like they could have wrapped it up by shooting her in the kneecaps a couple of times. I got 1 ep left still.

I liked US of Al, but only decided to watch it because "Hank" was in there.

Originally Posted by windom
I watch Grey's Anatomy, The Good Doctor, The Resident, and New Amsterdam. It's amazing how often they have similar storylines. I think they've all had episodes where the hospital is hacked by cyber terrorists demanding a ransom. Another one they all seem to do is a new character or company takes over the hospital and only cares about making money at the expense of patients lives. The doctors have to come together to drive out the evils forces. There was a storyline about a patient who had a condition that produced alcohol inside their body that appeared within weeks of each other on different shows...I think Grey's and The Resident.
Yes! I've been wondering if there's a union meeting covering all the topics they should write about. Sometimes they're within the same week. I'll usually say, "Simpson's did it!"
Old 05-15-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
That's because that actually happened at my hospital and its nationwide network last year l. It really sucked and brought a lot of services to a standstill. I don't watch medical dramas but that is exactly the kind of modern hospital story that I could see writers intrigued by.
Old 05-15-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Yeah, they did the same type of hospital ransomware stories on "FBI" and "The Rookie."
Old 05-16-22, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

9-1-1 and The Resident were both renewed by FOX last minute today

https://deadline.com/2022/05/9-1-1-t...nt-1235025030/

9-1-1 Lonestar had already been renewed.

I'm way behind on 9-1-1 after all these new streaming shows started airing. I'll try to catch up this summer on Hulu.
Old 05-16-22, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Are all the TNT shows like Snowpiercer considered cancelled since they're going away from scripted shows, or is there still an expectation that Max picks up some or all of them?
Old 05-16-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
Are all the TNT shows like Snowpiercer considered cancelled since they're going away from scripted shows, or is there still an expectation that Max picks up some or all of them?
Snowpiercer is filming it's 4th season right now. I don't know if it will air on TNT or not.
Old 05-19-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've heard American Dad may be picked up by one of the streaming services.
Old 05-19-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Riverdale's 7th season will be the last one.

I've fallen off on that show after loving how bonkers it got. But, I am about 1/4 through season 5 on Netflix and not sure I have the time to catch up.
Old 05-20-22, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've heard American Dad may be picked up by one of the streaming services.
It was renewed for another two seasons bringing it to 19 total before season 17 debuted. If TBS backs out then it could go to a streamer.

But at this point, it’ll either remain at TBS or swap to Adult Swim. Adult Swim has second run rights after TBS.
Old 05-22-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
So do I and way better than NCIS:Hawaii.
Like I said.. it distinguished itself apart from the Tom Selleck series after the first season and finally put Magnum and Higgins together as a couple only now to cancel it.

I don't think it's better or worse than NCIS Hawaii, but wished they could have crossed over legitimately instead of making NCIS in its own universe (Katrina Law and Beulah Koale appear as brand new characters.)
Old 05-26-22, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Like I said.. it distinguished itself apart from the Tom Selleck series after the first season and finally put Magnum and Higgins together as a couple only now to cancel it.

I don't think it's better or worse than NCIS Hawaii, but wished they could have crossed over legitimately instead of making NCIS in its own universe (Katrina Law and Beulah Koale appear as brand new characters.)
That bothers me when they do stuff like that. In addition to Katrina Laws character from Hawaii Five-0, also having Zoe McLellan play a different character on NCIS New Orleans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.