Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sliders - anyone rewatched it recently ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 06:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't seen Sliders since it's original airing in the mid 90s. I remember loving the early series, but then it got a bit confusing and OTT.

Has anyone rewatched it recently ? Just wondering how it has aged
Old 07-24-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sliders - anyone rewatched it recently ?

I watched it a couple of years ago. The first 2 or 3 seasons are still good and have aged well. The 4th and 5th season should have never been made imo.
Old 07-24-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

After John Rhys-Davies decided to leave, it was pretty much all downhill. Still, it's a good premise for a TV show, should anyone ever want to try a reboot. As MScottM said, the first couple seasons are a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-14, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed the first couple seasons are still pretty fun due to the premise. This is one show I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of. Had a lot of potential they just never went in the right directions with.
Old 07-24-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird, I tried rewatching it and found that it has aged pretty poorly.
Old 07-24-14, 03:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought but never watched a boxed DVD set of the whole series ages ago having only seen the first two seasons when they aired in the UK. Looks like I may already have seen the best!

Perhaps I'll give the unopened set away to a pal's 10 year old who is a fan of Doctor Who, Spiderman and Ben 10.
Old 07-24-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I've been working my way through Sliders over the last year. First time views for me. I guess being busy with school made me miss a lot at that time (watching Deep Space Nine for the first time too).

I'm liking it ok. Likable cast. The premise allows for a lot of interesting stories. It is unmistakable as being of its time, so viewers have to be understanding of that. Though Rhys-Davies left a few episodes ago (I'm almost done season 3) and I'm feeling my interest wane a bit. From what I've heard of the last 2 seasons, maybe I'd be smart to stop soon.
Old 07-24-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I've been watching S4 on and off since I never watched them originally. It's okay (some good stories here and there), but not as good as the first few seasons.
Old 07-24-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, it occurs to me that I may not even have seen the last season of SLIDERS. Did O'Connell leave at some point? Did the final episode wrap things up, or did it end with a cliffhanger? I remember the show jumping over to the Sci-Fi Channel and Kari Wuher joining the cast, but I think I bailed not long after that.

I miss the Cryin' Man!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/08goIU9H2TE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-24-14, 06:23 PM

I re-watched last year. As others have pointed out the first couple of seasons are still enjoyable, but if definitely takes a downturn in S3 and I found S4 and S5 hard to get through.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Did O'Connell leave at some point? Did the final episode wrap things up, or did it end with a cliffhanger?
O'Connell left at the end of season 4. They wrap a few things up but it ended on a cliffhanger.
Old 07-24-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I re-watched it two years ago and as folks have said, the first couple seasons hold up ok but it goes downhill pretty quickly when Davies leaves. I didn't re-watch season 5 as I don't acknowledge its existence.
Old 07-25-14, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Weird, I tried rewatching it and found that it has aged pretty poorly.
I tried watching it recently and was shocked at how bad it is (its currently airing on one of the cable channels). I remember enjoying it when it aired originally but yikes.
Old 07-25-14, 05:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny, just watching the Jet Li movie the One which has a similar premise

Yeah this show really could do with a modern reboot, could be interesting
Old 07-25-14, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah it hasn't aged well. Rick and Morty reminds me of this show sometimes.
Old 03-27-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Exclusive: John Rhys-Davies and Jerry O’Connell talking to NBC about potential Sliders revival
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/...iders-revival/

At the Toronto Comicon this weekend, John Rhys-Davies has revealed to Flickering Myth that he and his Sliders co-star Jerry O’Connell are speaking with NBC about a potential revival of the 90s sci-fi series.

The sci-fi series followed a group of scientists as they discover ways to travel – or slide – into parallel universes. After getting stuck in one parallel universe and losing their way home, they have to discover how to find Earth Prime again or risk being stuck in that world for nearly 30 years before they can open a vortex again.

“Jerry had been pestering me for a number of years and we’re actually talking to NBC at the moment to see if there’s any possibility of rebooting the series,” Davies said. “They’re looking into the basic question of who actually owns it? At the moment we don’t seem to be able to find that out.

Sliders first premiered on Fox in 1995 where it ran for three seasons before being cancelled. However, it was then picked up by Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) for additional two seasons. With NBCUniversal as the distributor though, it might be hard to sort out who actually owns the rights to the series now.

Davies left the show in the middle of the third season after Fox moved production from Vancouver to Los Angeles. Despite leaving Sliders, though, Davies is still enthusiastic to return for more adventures.

“I would do it again, if just to show how it should be done. It could have been the best show on television, it could still be on the air. I think maybe if we got another chance at doing it with the new technology, but also new stories, I think we could do something quite extraordinary. I wouldn’t want to do it for the rest of my life, but I would do it for a season or two if it was right.”
Old 03-28-19, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Continue with season 6 where Quinn escapes from those stupid future-cavemen and figures out Arturo is an impostor. Introducing those future-cavemen were the worst possible direction they could have taken the show,
Old 03-29-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait...didn't they kill off the "real" Arturo? Or am I remembering wrong? John has a history of bailing on series early and having his character killed off (see "The Untouchables" TV reboot).
Old 03-29-19, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Wait...didn't they kill off the "real" Arturo? Or am I remembering wrong? John has a history of bailing on series early and having his character killed off (see "The Untouchables" TV reboot).
We don't know. If you remember there is an episode where they go to a parallel world where another Arturo takes his place. The "real" Arturo is freed, but when they go through the portal we're unsure just which one is left behind.

It was never resolved.