DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Pawn Stars v Hardcore Pawn (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621267-pawn-stars-v-hardcore-pawn.html)

Original Desmond 07-18-14 05:38 PM

Pawn Stars v Hardcore Pawn

Cool shows to have on in the background when your doing other things

I think Pawn stars is way better. I don't like the obvious fake 'angry customer' setups in hardcore pawn. I mean who goes into a pawn shop and demands to be sold something for a particular price just because they saw that price online.

anyone else watch these shows ?

My Other Self 07-18-14 05:40 PM

Re: Pawn Stars v Hardcore Pawn

We already have a Pawn Stars thread.

Hardcore Pawn is garbage. Les is a total slimeball.

Charlie Goose 07-18-14 10:20 PM

Both are fake, obviously.

PS has a lot of interesting items, but loses me when it goes into "storylines" with the cast.

HP is just angry blacks.

MLBFan24 07-18-14 10:23 PM

Pawn Stars is better for sure, but I do fast forward during the skits.

And of course, Rebecca. Huge "fan of her book knowledge!"

dan30oly 07-18-14 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 12173419)

HP is just angry blacks.

Not cool.

Original Desmond 07-18-14 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 12173419)
Both are fake, obviously.

PS has a lot of interesting items, but loses me when it goes into "storylines" with the cast.

HP is just angry blacks.

and angry grannies !

Mike86 07-18-14 10:57 PM

Pawn Stars is by no means great especially the newer episodes, but Hardcore Pawn from what I've seen is total garbage. At least Pawn Stars has interesting items (even if they are set up) and the cast is somewhat likable though the series would be better if they'd drop the storylines and Chum's constant crazy over the top antics.

johnnysd 07-18-14 11:05 PM

Both are way too scripted and have become boring. Pawn Stars is almost more sitcom now than reality show. Items are cool but 90% are clearly fake

Original Desmond 07-19-14 02:42 AM

I should have added i watch Beverly Hills Pawn purely for Cory, she's gorgeous ! can't stand that bald mofo on that show though

Charlie Goose 07-19-14 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 12173434)
Not cool.

And yet not inaccurate.

Sgtsnake 07-20-14 11:27 AM

HP is a total joke..and the kid? Seth..looks like a fucking monkey

MLBFan24 07-20-14 01:33 PM

I hate the new voting thing they have for Pawn Stars (for example, guessing how much the final price will be, if Rick will offer or pass on the item, etc)

Besides being stupid, it takes up about a quarter of the screen and is really distracting.

Troy Stiffler 07-20-14 02:28 PM

Hardcore Pawn is subtly racist. Or less civilized. Or something. It's really grating. I was watching a rerun this morning. The clerk told the guy his ring is a fake, and then asked if he had a TV or something that he wanted to pawn. What a fucking troll.

Pawn Stars, on the other hand. I like watching that show. I don't think it's fake. Why do people say that? The people coming in are vetted by producers waiting in the parking lot. And the guys are probably curbed into doing their stupid shit around the office. That's the only staging that I can see.

The Pawnography show is a little much. It's neat to see the guys on a mini game show. But it's pretty lame and over reaching their celebrity. Also, Christopher Titus needs to do another sitcom. Where did he go? Titus was mean and hilarious.

grenier 07-20-14 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12174462)
I hate the new voting thing they have for Pawn Stars (for example, guessing how much the final price will be, if Rick will offer or pass on the item, etc)

Besides being stupid, it takes up about a quarter of the screen and is really distracting.

Just record a later showing, that's what I do to avoid the annoying thing.

TomOpus 07-20-14 04:38 PM

I watch Pawn Stars for the cool items that get brought in.

I watch Hardcore Pawn for the sexual chemistry between the brother and sister. I think they'd hate-fuck each other like rabbits.

My Other Self 07-20-14 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 12174513)
Pawn Stars, on the other hand. I like watching that show. I don't think it's fake. Why do people say that?

Because it is.

In one episode, online personality Pat the NES Punk tried "selling" his Nintendo World Championship cart which (people who watch his videos) know he had no intention of actually selling.

Another episode had someone selling a replica proton pack from Ghostbusters. The guy is a known prop builder in the online community, but the way the episode played out would have made you think otherwise. There's also stories of other people who have been asked to "sell" things to the shop to make an episode more interesting.

That's not to say everything is fake, but a lot of it is.

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12174606)
I watch Hardcore Pawn for the sexual chemistry between the brother and sister. I think they'd hate-fuck each other like rabbits.

As disgusting as that is, you're totally right. I'm sure Les would be the one filming it.

Traxan 07-20-14 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 12173454)
Both are way too scripted and have become boring. Pawn Stars is almost more sitcom now than reality show. Items are cool but 90% are clearly fake

And you know this how?

Eric F 07-21-14 12:40 AM

Christopher Titus sure has hit bottom. I don't understand what he's doing, drek like Pawnography. The show sucks. Just like Pawn Stars, Rick is fed the little facts/tidbits on the products beforehand. They need to spice things up a bit.

GoldenJCJ 07-21-14 06:55 AM

Pawn Stars, on the other hand. I like watching that show. I don't think it's fake. Why do people say that? The people coming in are vetted by producers waiting in the parking lot. And the guys are probably curbed into doing their stupid shit around the office. That's the only staging that I can see.

I watched an early series rerun the other day where Ron (the brother from American Restoration) came into the pawn shop to sell an old, beat up coke machine. This was obviously before producers decided to make American Restoration a show and certainly before they decided Ron would be a part of it. Of course Rick ended up buying the coke machine and brought it to - guess where? - Rick's Restoration shop to have it restored.

As far as Chumlee's antics, every once in a while the show slips up and actually shows Chumlee NOT acting like a complete boob, in fact, in some cases he comes off as actually pretty smart and knowledgeable. Of course then the next minute they have him in idiot mode again.

And let's not forget the point where Pawn Stars basically became a Subway commercial. You could make a drinking game about how often they slip in Subway sandwich product placement.

Shannon Nutt 07-21-14 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12175050)
As far as Chumlee's antics, every once in a while the show slips up and actually shows Chumlee NOT acting like a complete boob, in fact, in some cases he comes off as actually pretty smart and knowledgeable. Of course then the next minute they have him in idiot mode again.

Yep, he's definitely playing a 'character' for the show...I've read elsewhere he's actually pretty bright.

Shannon Nutt 07-21-14 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 12174991)
Christopher Titus sure has hit bottom. I don't understand what he's doing, drek like Pawnography. The show sucks. Just like Pawn Stars, Rick is fed the little facts/tidbits on the products beforehand. They need to spice things up a bit.

I agree Rick is prepped before each show...I'm wondering how 'rigged' the final round is, because I thought there were laws against rigging game shows - although that might only apply to network TV, since it has to do with FCC jurisdiction and they don't have as tight a reign over cable as they do broadcast TV.

johnnysd 07-21-14 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12175074)
Yep, he's definitely playing a 'character' for the show...I've read elsewhere he's actually pretty bright.

supposedly there is an episode of American Restoration where he completely ditches the Chumlee persona.

Original Desmond 07-21-14 06:37 PM

I cannot stand Rick's fake laugh for the camera

the items are the only interesting thing and i have to admit, they are cool

Mok 07-21-14 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 12175717)
I cannot stand Rick's fake laugh for the camera

He sounds like Muttley the dog.

Mike86 07-21-14 09:39 PM

The Pawnography show is a little much. It's neat to see the guys on a mini game show. But it's pretty lame and over reaching their celebrity. Also, Christopher Titus needs to do another sitcom. Where did he go? Titus was mean and hilarious.

Pawnography is too much if you ask me. The concept of the show is fairly stupid and honestly it doesn't even seem like Rick, Cory, or Chum really want to be there half the time. It feels like something that History Channel talked them into doing for easy ratings but doesn't seem like it'll be a series that will last.