Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rush (USA) - Season 1 Thread - Thursdays starting 7/17/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 09:26 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Rush (USA) - Season 1 Thread - Thursdays starting 7/17/14

RUSH examines the world of renegade physician Dr. William Rush (Tom Ellis, "Miranda"), a "medical fixer" who privately caters to LA's elite and whose service comes with a hefty price tag. Though the hard-partying doctor claims that he doesn't make judgments about his less-than-squeaky-clean clients, he's not immune to the ugliness that he encounters. From Fox21 and writer/director Jonathan Levine (Warm Bodies), along with Gina Matthews and Grant Scharbo ("Missing," 13 Going on 30) and Executive Producer Adam Fierro ("The Shield"), the series is set to film in Vancouver, Canada.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Larenz Tate as Alex Thomas
· Rick Gonzalez as Manny Maquis
· Tom Ellis as William Rush

CREW INFORMATION:
· Adam Fierro as EP
· Gina Matthews as EP
· Grant Scharbo as EP
· Jonathan Levine as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BePmjGqntpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
10 episode season.
Old 07-19-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Rush (USA) - Season 1 Thread - Thursdays starting 7/17/14

This series is basically if Julian McMahon's character from Nip/Tuck had his own practice as a doctor willing to discreetly handle bad clients for large sums of money. I could feel USA's cookie-cutter approach all over the pilot, I can already see the likely formulaic structure which will be religiously followed each episode.

I mostly like the cast, though the main guy is a little too smarmy to be a lovable character. I guess that is the point of the series.
Old 07-19-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I liked the pilot and I'll continue to watch. Hopefully they'll keep having a high quotient of attractive women on the show.
Old 07-20-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not what I thought it was going to be about.
Old 07-20-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be much cooler with a Rush song playing in the background.
Old 07-23-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lateralus
It would be much cooler with a Rush song playing in the background.
I don't think anyone has ever said that before...
Old 07-26-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the second episode was pretty good, including building upon a couple of the story threads from the pilot. I still don't get the relationship with his assistant, they keep making oblique references to how they met.
Old 07-28-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just saw the 1st episode.

I was entertained, but it definitely feels formulaic. The best description for this judging by episode 1 is that it's an edgier version of Royal Pains with a little Nip/Tuck. I think USA is hoping this could potentially take the place of Royal Pains since that show is aging and probably on it's way out soon.

Seeing Odette Annable in the Pilot as Rush's ex was a pleasant surprise.

I'm surprised the Pilot wasn't extended like most USA Pilots. This was straight up 1 hour. Satisfaction's Pilot ran 83 minutes.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-29-14 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-04-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Is anyone else watching this show?

I just got caught up with it tonight. I'm starting to really dig it. It's a little bit of House and Nip/Tuck. The Rush character is kind of a rogue doctor like House and also a playboy like Christian Troy on Nip/Tuck.

Plus, there is so many hot women in this show. Episode 3, which aired last week had Rachel Nichols from Continuum and Erica Cerra from Eureka. Eve Parker who plays Rush's assistant is also pretty hot too.

I think this is the show that Royal Pains should have been. It definitely has a formula like Royal Pains, but I like that it has more of a darker edge.

Interesting story in episode 3 with Harry Hamlin playing Rush's Dad and also Rush treating a Gonorrhea outbreak in a massage parlor.

at the Swede from Hell on Wheels guest starring as a director. He still has the scruffy beard too.
Old 08-04-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been a decent show up to this point, they haven't gotten bogged-down in any silly storylines yet. Rachel Nichols is all over the place these days, she also guested on Witches of East End last week. I don't think that bodes well for Continuum's chances going forward.

I still can't believe how young Larenz Tate looks. The man doesn't seem to age.
Old 08-09-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Aww, poor Rush, Am I supposed to feel sorry for him, especially that he got to bang his young hot Step Mommy.

So everything that we've learned about Eve, Rush's assistant, she has come kind of dark past with that ex.

This is a pet peeve of mine, but I know most TV shows do it. What woman has sex still wearing their bra or teddy? Eve was about to have sex with that dude and she was still wearing her bra. I'm guessing it's probably a no nudity thing for the actors contract. The ones that allow nudity, but are filming something for basic cable like this, probably will act nude, but covered under those sheets.

I've enjoyed this show. It's has some dark humor and there is lots of eye candy. Especially Eve and Erica Cerra playing Larenz Tate's wife.
Old 08-09-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eve seems to have been battered in her prior relationship and Rush saved her. It does have some dark humor, which is a nice change of pace for USA.
Old 09-21-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Finished the last 2 episodes tonight.

I'd like to see this come back next summer (It's fun and I like that it's darker than most USA shows), but that finale left a bad taste in my mouth. Such a contrived ending with Will and Sarah to keep them apart when it didn't need to be like that. So Eve's ex dies after their fight and then finds out he's the father of Corinne's baby and now he realizes he's a bad person and bad for Sarah? I thought Will was going to get in trouble for taking that blow from an earlier scene in that apartment and stuffed it in his bag.

That would have made much more sense. I agree with Sarah, he's a coward. I hate when the lead character is written like that to keep him apart from his leading lady. And of course it ends on a cliffhanger.

And of course Alex paying off the blackmail money to that girl was going to bite him in the ass. Never pay blackmail money, because the initial asking price is never enough.

I see this show never caught on here at all despite it being such a short season (10 episodes) Oh well, most USA dramas are expendable entertainment. If it comes back great, I'll see a 2nd season, but if not, I'll move on.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-21-14 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

DJariya, you took the words right out of my mouth...not a good episode (but I did enjoy the eps leading up to this one), as the best thing about this episode was Odette Annable's gorgeous (in my opinion) blue dress.
Old 09-30-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That last episode did go in a curious direction. Considering the first nine episodes were pretty good, I can forgive them for the dramatic final scene. Everyone knows the status quo could be reset within minutes of next season's opener, if it gets renewed.

I didn't really buy the whole sequence of events with Rush and Eve regarding her ex-boyfriend. I guess they set-up Alex's potential divorce in case they wanted to axe his wife from the series and make him a swinging single.

This was a good season overall and it proved Rush has a likable cast. It was always one of the easier watches each week from the many series I follow.
Old 10-03-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cancelled.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/satisfac...ed-usa-844657/

Shame -- I thought it had promise.