DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Strain (S1E01) -- New FX Horror Series (99 minutes) -- "Night Zero" -- 7/13/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621145-strain-s1e01-new-fx-horror-series-99-minutes-night-zero-7-13-14-a.html)

DJariya 07-13-14 05:26 AM

The Strain (S1E01) -- New FX Horror Series (99 minutes) -- "Night Zero" -- 7/13/14

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...09377046_n.jpg

Episode 1 / Production #101 - "Night Zero" (Airs July 13, 10:00 pm e/p) - When a plane lands in New York City with everyone on board dead, Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, head of the CDC's Canary Project, and his team are called upon to investigate. Harlem pawnbroker Abraham Setrakian races to the airport, convinced that what looks at first like a mysterious viral outbreak might be the beginning of something infinitely more sinister.

Written by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan; directed by Guillermo del Toro.

13 episode 1st season

The head writer and showrunner is Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel)

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UGzWxOnWzkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Behind the scenes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vZEAblK9Qrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pre-Show Thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604...producing.html

starseed1981 07-13-14 01:54 PM

Re: The Strain (S1E01) -- New FX Horror Series (99 minutes) -- "Night Zero" -- 7/13/1

Awwww yeah! Can't wait!

DeputyDave 07-13-14 02:08 PM

Re: The Strain (S1E01) -- New FX Horror Series (99 minutes) -- "Night Zero" -- 7/13/1

I'm actually just finishing up the first book and its fairly OK (not great). I'm looking forward to it but one thing I can say is that I'm not liking the casting of Setrakian. I've only seen the actor in the Harry Potter series and Game of Thrones but he seems all wrong. Who knows, he could be a fine actor and able to play it completely differently than I've seen him. I'll reserve judgment.

TomOpus 07-13-14 02:43 PM

Looking forward to this tonight!

Bill Needle 07-13-14 03:57 PM

I'm going to give this a shot based on the pedigree of those involved.

thebunk 07-13-14 04:56 PM

It will be interesting to see if Cuse fairs better with his new series then Lindelof.

starseed1981 07-13-14 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by thebunk (Post 12167488)
It will be interesting to see if Cuse fairs better with his new series then Lindelof.

....if the Leftovers first two episodes are any indication he won't have to aim very high.

TheMadMonk 07-13-14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12167310)
I'm actually just finishing up the first book and its fairly OK (not great). I'm looking forward to it but one thing I can say is that I'm not liking the casting of Setrakian. I've only seen the actor in the Harry Potter series and Game of Thrones but he seems all wrong. Who knows, he could be a fine actor and able to play it completely differently than I've seen him. I'll reserve judgment.

I haven't read the books, but to me, he was the most interesting character in the first episode.

DeputyDave 07-13-14 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk (Post 12167680)
I haven't read the books, but to me, he was the most interesting character in the first episode.

I'm DVRing it and won't be able to see it till tomorrow so I can comment then but he is written as the Van Helsing character played by an Ian McKellin type. Someone with gravitas.

DJariya 07-13-14 10:29 PM

FYI,

The 1st episode is now listed as 100 minutes

In case you missed it, there are few more re-airs tonight.

11:40pm ET
1:18am ET

TomOpus 07-13-14 10:50 PM

I thought it was a good premiere episode. Looking forward to more!

boogieman03 07-14-14 12:01 AM

Enjoyed the premier. Looking forward to seeing more.

DJariya 07-14-14 12:53 AM

:eek: Poor Andrew Divoff. But that was a little overkill when that thing bashed his head to a pulp after draining his blood.

:lol: at Corey Stoll's hilarious wig.

Boondock Saint 07-14-14 01:23 AM

An hour in and I'm wicked bored. Which is weird, because I'm not bored during The Leftovers. But I don't know if I can do another 40 minutes of this, which is why I'm posting this now instead of after. I hate virus storylines in general, way too overused, but I have/had faith in the creative team to make it interesting.

I dunno...I usually give first episodes the benefit of the doubt so I'll finish it I guess...just not impressed so far

DJariya 07-14-14 01:37 AM

I liked it. Looking forward to more. It has the vibe of a B horror movie. Atmosphere was pretty creepy.

:lol: Poor Andrew Divoff. As far as I can tell, noone notices he's missing.

Judging by the tattoo on Setrakian, he's probably from one of the Nazi concentration camps from WW II and I'm assuming that's where he witnessed the previous outbreak.

I noticed that Leslie Hope (Teri Bauer) had a really small part in this episode.

MLBFan24 07-14-14 01:51 AM

Freaking awesome. Loved it.

I thought they could have just ended it with the coroner getting infected. That would have been a sufficient ending for me.

mnementh 07-14-14 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12167822)
I thought they could have just ended it with the coroner getting infected. That would have been a sufficient ending for me.

I'm puzzled why the coroner wasn't following biohazard protocols.

spainlinx0 07-14-14 06:27 AM

I enjoyed it, but it had a few of those annoying establishing character pilot cliches.

The main character has to wag his dick and say why his job is so important to be first on the plane. I just didn't like that speech. Also, the milk. Oh he's so quirky with his milk. I don't know why but that just irritated me.

Then some strange guy comes through saying he knows what's going on, and even mentions the casket, and it doesn't even give him pause? I know he needs to ignore it for the sake of the story, but I hate things like that.

I enjoy camp, but I hate dumb characters. They find these worms they have never seen, so let's let it get really close to our thin latex gloves before we put it in glass. This heart is beating on it's own oozing some goo, let's pick it up with again, those thin latex gloves as protection. Then when we rip off the gloves to get the things off, let's wipe down our other glove with our now uncovered hand? Good, if you're that dumb you should get eaten.

TomOpus 07-14-14 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh (Post 12167853)
I'm puzzled why the coroner wasn't following biohazard protocols.

Same reason the CDC agent went into the cockpit after being told repeatedly not to enter.

Geofferson 07-14-14 08:40 AM

Despite it being the show I've been looking forward to most this summer, I wasn't able to tune in last night. Glad to see there's some positive feedback (my expectations were checked at the door as of late). I plan on watching tonight.

Cellar Door 07-14-14 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12167867)
I enjoyed it, but it had a few of those annoying establishing character pilot cliches.

The main character has to wag his dick and say why his job is so important to be first on the plane. I just didn't like that speech. Also, the milk. Oh he's so quirky with his milk. I don't know why but that just irritated me.

Then some strange guy comes through saying he knows what's going on, and even mentions the casket, and it doesn't even give him pause? I know he needs to ignore it for the sake of the story, but I hate things like that.

I enjoy camp, but I hate dumb characters. They find these worms they have never seen, so let's let it get really close to our thin latex gloves before we put it in glass. This heart is beating on it's own oozing some goo, let's pick it up with again, those thin latex gloves as protection. Then when we rip off the gloves to get the things off, let's wipe down our other glove with our now uncovered hand? Good, if you're that dumb you should get eaten.

I agree with all of this. I enjoyed it, but there was a lot of dumb/lazy writing in the actions of the characters. The milk thing really had me rolling my eyes, the way they kept pointing it out.

I thought the "look" of it all was pretty well done. Sets, makeup, cinematography, etc.

brainee 07-14-14 04:28 PM

Just watched it. Good stuff ... the time went really quickly. I find it a lot easier to get into these shorter 10-13 week season series for serial stories. It's also nice knowing that the producers know exactly where they're going. I guess the one big danger is that they'll pull a "V" on us and cancel before anything gets resolved. But at least there's the completed trilogy of books (which I've read) to give closure in that worst case scenario.

DJariya 07-14-14 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12168333)
Just watched it. Good stuff ... the time went really quickly. I find it a lot easier to get into these shorter 10-13 week season series for serial stories. It's also nice knowing that the producers know exactly where they're going. I guess the one big danger is that they'll pull a "V" on us and cancel before anything gets resolved. But at least there's the completed trilogy of books (which I've read) to give closure in that worst case scenario.

Unless the ratings are absolutely abysmal like Terriers (which I seriously doubt considering the marketing blitz and del Toro and Cuse being behind it) I can see this show being a new signature show for FX & giving them a presence on Sundays. del Toro already said they plan a 5 season arc should the show make it that far, but they have enough material for at least 3 seasons.

brainee 07-14-14 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12168352)
del Toro already said they plan a 5 season arc should the show make it that far, but they have enough material for at least 3 seasons.

Yeah, I heard 1 season for book 1 and 2 seasons for the second and third books. The scope of the story gets bigger, so that makes sense to me. And while the third book is generally considered the weakest, I think it provides a lot of opportunity to expand the story on tv and actually improve things. del Toro seems the kind of guy to pay attention to constructive criticism from fans, so maybe he can use the book feedback to make the tv series the best version of the story.

Vipper II 07-14-14 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12167821)
I noticed that Leslie Hope (Teri Bauer) had a really small part in this episode.

I wonder if she'll get amnesia in any future episodes.