DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Extant (S1E01) -- New drama starring Halle Berry -- "Re-Entry" -- 7/09/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621052-extant-s1e01-new-drama-starring-halle-berry-re-entry-7-09-14-a.html)

DJariya 07-09-14 10:02 AM

Extant (S1E01) -- New drama starring Halle Berry -- "Re-Entry" -- 7/09/14

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...33180731_n.jpg

ACADEMY AWARD WINNER HALLE BERRY STARS IN "EXTANT," A NEW SUMMER SERIES PREMIERING WEDNESDAY, JULY 9 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"Re-Entry" - Astronaut Molly Woods tries to reconnect with her husband, John, and son, Ethan, after returning from a 13-month solo mission in outer space. Molly's mystifying experiences in space lead to events that will ultimately change the course of human history, on the series premiere of EXTANT, Wednesday, July 9 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Allen Coulter ("Boardwalk Empire") directed the premiere episode.

EXTANT, a new 13-episode serialized drama, is a co-production of CBS Studios and Amblin Television.

SERIES REGULARS:

Halle Berry (Molly Woods)
Goran Visnjic (John Woods)
Pierce Gagnon (Ethan Woods)
Hiroyuki Sanada (Hideki Yasumoto)
Michael O'Neill (Alan Sparks)
Grace Gummer (Julie Gelineau)
AND:
Camryn Manheim (Sam Barton)

GUEST CAST:

Maury Sterling (Gordon Kern)
Annie Wershing (Femi Dodd)
Brad Beyer (Harmon Kryger)
Anne Ramsay (Laurie Vinson)
Tami Roman (Cass Hendy)
Sergio Harford (Marcus Rawlins)
Jonathan Craig Williams (Bill Hendy)
Alisha Boe (Brynn Hendy)
Kevin Ryan (Balloon Vendor)
Rick Kelly (Segers)
Kenzo Lee (Tech)

WRITTEN BY: Mickey Fisher

DIRECTED BY: Allen Coulter

Trailer/First Look at the show:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PcmB-BoY1j0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-in-cbs-extant

Sepinwall liked it. He said it's a good start.

jjcool 07-09-14 12:43 PM

Re: Extant (S1E01) -- New drama starring Halle Berry -- "Re-Entry" -- 7/09/14

I just have no desire whatsoever to watch this. They have hyped the heck out of it, but it just doesn't pique my interest. Anybody excited for this?

RichC2 07-09-14 12:49 PM

While I remember reading about it as part of the Amazon deal, this is the first ad I've seen for it. Looks good.

DJariya 07-09-14 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 12163367)
I just have no desire whatsoever to watch this. They have hyped the heck out of it, but it just doesn't pique my interest. Anybody excited for this?

A serialized science fiction drama with an A-list movie star...uhhh, yeah.

Seriously though, I will definitely watch. Been a fan of Berry and she's definitely a draw for me.

Dan1boy 07-09-14 01:13 PM

Agreed. I've been wrestling with it. But have too many new shows coming back this month...not to mention Netflix series.

They're really hyping that "executive producer" credit though, aren't they? Sheesh.

stvn1974 07-09-14 01:34 PM

If this is twice as good as the Spielberg produced Falling Skies it will still be garbage. Pass.

starseed1981 07-09-14 01:39 PM

I'm a fan of Halle but honestly the previews did nothing for me. I'll pass.

Geofferson 07-09-14 01:41 PM

What isn't Spielberg exec-producing on TV these days? I respect Sepinwall as a critic and like the fact they attracted an A-list (TV) director. I'll check out the pilot.

writer106 07-09-14 07:26 PM

I'll give this a chance.

MrSmearkase 07-09-14 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12163384)
A serialized science fiction drama with an A-list movie star...uhhh, yeah.

Seriously though, I will definitely watch. Been a fan of Berry and she's definitely a draw for me.

A-List is being kind of generous, though. She is certainly a celebrity and a name, but she is far from an A-List actress nowadays.

TheStoicPaisano 07-09-14 09:05 PM

"I think there's been a rape up there!"

Decent premiere, I'll give next week a whirl.

movie diva 07-09-14 09:21 PM

I agree, I am not excitement for this show at all, I don't think its worth the space on the DVR

Eric F 07-10-14 12:22 AM

12 posts in and nobody even bothered posting about the episode itself. That does not bode well. I guess I'll start.

I found it to be an odd episode- sort of a mix between A.I. and general sci-fi tinged influenced shows/movies. The leads are pretty good, Halle (as usual) is almost too beautiful for the part and you can tell they try really hard during the space station scenes to "ugly" her up (it doesn't work).

The kid, well, is very robotic. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. I suppose you couldn't expect much more than that.

As for the plot, well, we don't really know much other than something happens to Halle's character on the space station, real or imagined. She's now pregnant (unknown whether that happened on the space station or not we don't know either). That's pretty much it. :lol:

DJariya 07-10-14 01:18 AM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/extant/

81% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

I didn't really have super high expectations, but I thought this was really good for the premiere episode. Good mix of weird, WTF and compelling. I thought Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic were both good as the leads. The kid is a creepier version of Haley Joel Osment from AI. I think there were elements of AI and some elements of Gravity here. The flashbacks to Molly's mission were creepy and claustrophobic. Since she was in space for 13 months, I can see them being part of each episode.

I can see why they hired Allen Coulter to direct this. He gave it a bigger feel than a standard episode of TV.

CBS isn't really known for producing great serialized shows, but I think this is a promising start.

TGM 07-10-14 05:11 AM

for those like me who missed it, it is on again tonight 10PM.

Laertes 07-10-14 06:06 AM

Yeah, I'll say right off that I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Halle Berry is distractingly beautiful. I had the same problem with "Monster's Ball." The scene when
Spoiler:
when her son died
and she was crying, all I could think was "look at her boobs bounce!!" She can't be made ugly.

Did they try to "ugly" her up on the space station? I didn't notice. She still looked good to me.

I'm in, for now.

Canis Firebrand 07-10-14 08:11 AM

I forgot to set my DVR to record this last night. It looks like tonight they are replaying the premiere episode.. I've got my season pass in and set tonight to record the reply of last nights episode.

RichC2 07-10-14 08:26 AM

Halle Berry has thrown off the curve for 47 year old women everywhere.

Cellar Door 07-10-14 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12164161)
for those like me who missed it, it is on again tonight 10PM.

Yep, I'm going to have to catch the repeat tonight.

DeputyDave 07-10-14 02:41 PM

I'll catch the replay, Uverse crapped out on me (again) last night.

PhantomStranger 07-10-14 03:41 PM

Halle Berry is so good-looking they should have made her the robot instead of the kid.

Josh-da-man 07-10-14 09:22 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Josh-da-man 07-10-14 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Laertes (Post 12164171)
Yeah, I'll say right off that I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Halle Berry is distractingly beautiful. [...] She can't be made ugly.

http://news.mtv.ca/wp-content/upload...alle-berry.jpg

She can, but they have really work at it.

hdnmickey 07-11-14 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12164234)
Halle Berry has thrown off the curve for 47 year old women everywhere.

Looks great for 47, but I personally don't have the same problem as others in being distracted by her beauty. Not sure why. Might have something to do with being turned off by the characters he has played.

And while I enjoyed the first episode, I found Halle to be the worst part of it. Great supporting cast though. And thankfully the previews gave me hope that other episodes that Halle's character will be more tollerable.

Red Dog 07-11-14 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12165292)
Looks great for 47, but I personally don't have the same problem as others in being distracted by her beauty. Not sure why. Might have something to do with being turned off by the characters he has played.

And while I enjoyed the first episode, I found Halle to be the worst part of it. Great supporting cast though. And thankfully the previews gave me hope that other episodes that Halle's character will be more tollerable.

:thumbsup: