Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24: Live Another Day (S9E11) -- "9:00pm to 10:00pm" -- 7/07/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (S9E11) -- "9:00pm to 10:00pm" -- 7/07/14

Evan Katz and Manny Coto, who were the showrunners for LAD did a Reddit chat on the show today. Here's a couple of their responses about 24's future.

Is 24 going to continue next year? If so, will it be in this new format again?
Manny Coto: As of now, there are no plans to continue the show next year but we remain open to the possibility. We had a great time doing it this year and would love to take another crack at it.

After your big London adventure, if 24 was to return, where ideally would you like it to be set?
Manny Coto: Personally, I think 24 should return to Los Angeles for at least one more season.

Evan Katz: I would like it to be set in Italy because I’d like to live there for six months.
Old 07-09-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm kind of hoping they kill off Chloe.
Bite your tongue.

Not that I don't like the character but it would be a big OMG moment for the series.
Pushing an older female terrorist out a high window with her hands handcuffed behind her back wasn't OMG enough for you? Chloe's the best serious geek character I can remember since Matthew Broderick in War Games. The intelligence community is all about technology these days. Chloe is an important complement to Jack.

Of all the things going on this season, I find Jack stealing a guys wife in 12 hours to be the most impressive.
Even considering Jack was there first, they were already in love, and they have a strong history?

If they continue the series I think 12 episode seasons are the way to go. Personally though I'd rather have a definitive ending this time than leave it open to the possibility of other seasons.
Is your tongue feeling better? Cool. Now bite it again. I didn't feel it was particularly open-ended at the end of Season 8 and I don't need some kind of "definitive ending" this season. As long as they successfully close out this story, I don't need to see Jack die or anything like that. How would seeing Jack die make the story any better? Or is there some other "definitive ending" in mind?

What I really wish is they could do it like the BBC does "Sherlock". They get the band back together when they can, crank out some high quality episodes, and move on -- until the next time. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman can certainly make more money doing other things, but they want to do Sherlock. With 12 episodes, Kiefer Sutherland isn't tied up all year on "24". He can do other things for additional money. Also, are those salary numbers just for acting? He also gets other credits.

One problem is Kiefer isn't getting any younger. It's still somewhat (but not really) plausible that he excels at combat, but at some point that just won't work anymore.
Old 07-09-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Pushing an older female terrorist out a high window with her hands handcuffed behind her back wasn't OMG enough for you? Chloe's the best serious geek character I can remember since Matthew Broderick in War Games. The intelligence community is all about technology these days. Chloe is an important complement to Jack.
1. Pushing the terrorist out the window was not OMG enough for me. Killing off Terri at the end of season one and killing off Renee Walker in season 8. Those were OMG moments. Terrorists are meant to be killed. Killing off Chloe the way they killed off those two would hit hard emotionally.

2. If you think Chloe is the best serious geek character in a long time, you should watch Arrow.

3. Chloe is an important complement to Jack but if this is the series finale, then what does it matter?

Even considering Jack was there first, they were already in love, and they have a strong history?
You're taking that comment a bit too seriously.

Is your tongue feeling better? Cool. Now bite it again. I didn't feel it was particularly open-ended at the end of Season 8 and I don't need some kind of "definitive ending" this season. As long as they successfully close out this story, I don't need to see Jack die or anything like that. How would seeing Jack die make the story any better? Or is there some other "definitive ending" in mind?
I loved the end to season 8. Totally dark and definitive enough. I would have been plenty happy if they just ended it there. All I'm saying is that I, personally, don't need any more 24 after this. Which was a common sentiment around these parts after season 8. So I'd be plenty happy with a good ending that can put Jack Bauer to rest.

I never said seeing Jack die would make the story better. That's a conclusion that you jumped to. And I don't know how they'll pull out a definitive ending because I'm not a writer for the show. Let them figure it out.
Old 07-09-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I don't think Chloe needs to die. 24 has already killed of WAY too many of it's best characters. Besides, is any 24 death "shocking" any more? I know my reaction to Renee getting killed in season 8 after the day she had already had was more "really?" than shock.

If you want to affect Jack then kill Audrey or Kim. No one would really miss them.
Old 07-09-14, 06:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

LOL at the thought of them reintroducing Kim during the last episode just to kill her.
Old 07-10-14, 07:32 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
LOL at the thought of them reintroducing Kim during the last episode just to kill her.
That would be great.
Old 07-10-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

haha:

TV Legends Revealed | Did Kiefer Sutherland Try to Get ’24′ Fans Drunk?

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...24-fans-drunk/
Old 07-10-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just because the show's about to end and there's not much else to talk about until the next episode...

2. If you think Chloe is the best serious geek character in a long time, you should watch Arrow.
In short, I've met people like Chloe. I've never met anyone like Felicity. To me, Felicity is as fantastical as Green Arrow. Chloe and Jack are a little more rooted in reality (though no doubt fantastical in their own right).

War Games was the coolest geek movie ever when I saw it because I was amazed so much of it was rooted in reality. Dialing into school computers using modems. Wargames dialers (well, they weren't called that until after the movie, but still....). Phreaking. Voice Synthesis (The WOPR sounded just like games of the era).

Sure Chloe goes on about opening up sockets and other assorted nonsense, but that's in debt to the story and tone of the show. But the character is believable for what she does.

Mea Culpa... I've only seen the first season of Arrow. That said... Felicity is hot (which I know goes a long way with guys), but just doesn't ring as remotely realistic (as a character) to me. She's enjoyable in the context of Arrow (a superhero show, after all), but Chloe's on another level. Felicity's more like, say, Chuck... to me.

I never said seeing Jack die would make the story better. That's a conclusion that you jumped to. And I don't know how they'll pull out a definitive ending because I'm not a writer for the show. Let them figure it out.
That's a bit of a cop-out. I didn't suggest you write the script. I asked for you to provide an example of a definitive ending, since you suggested there should be one. I also didn't jump to a conclusion, but instead gave an example of a definitive ending people have previously suggested around here that I don't think would improve the ending of the show.

It'd be rewarding to me to keep both Jack and Chloe alive, though I have no idea how either of them finds any happiness at this point. I'll be looking on in anticipation to see what the writers came up with.
Old 07-10-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It'd be rewarding to me to keep both Jack and Chloe alive, though I have no idea how either of them finds any happiness at this point. I'll be looking on in anticipation to see what the writers came up with.
Hey, they still have each other...
Old 07-10-14, 11:20 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Damnit Chloe let me open your socket!
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (02-17-23)
Old 07-10-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In short, I've met people like Chloe. I've never met anyone like Felicity. To me, Felicity is as fantastical as Green Arrow. Chloe and Jack are a little more rooted in reality (though no doubt fantastical in their own right).

War Games was the coolest geek movie ever when I saw it because I was amazed so much of it was rooted in reality. Dialing into school computers using modems. Wargames dialers (well, they weren't called that until after the movie, but still....). Phreaking. Voice Synthesis (The WOPR sounded just like games of the era).

Sure Chloe goes on about opening up sockets and other assorted nonsense, but that's in debt to the story and tone of the show. But the character is believable for what she does.

Mea Culpa... I've only seen the first season of Arrow. That said... Felicity is hot (which I know goes a long way with guys), but just doesn't ring as remotely realistic (as a character) to me. She's enjoyable in the context of Arrow (a superhero show, after all), but Chloe's on another level. Felicity's more like, say, Chuck... to me.
Fair enough but I don't see much of a difference at all between Chloe and Felicity.

Also, 24 is as much of a superhero show as Arrow is.

That's a bit of a cop-out. I didn't suggest you write the script. I asked for you to provide an example of a definitive ending, since you suggested there should be one. I also didn't jump to a conclusion, but instead gave an example of a definitive ending people have previously suggested around here that I don't think would improve the ending of the show.

I don't think it's a cop out. I don't find the need to think of examples on how to end the show. I'll leave that up to the idea men. All I'm saying is that I don't want them to give me a cliffhanger ending simply for the possibility of another season happening because I don't want to be left hanging if it doesn't happen.

And personally, Chloe dying gives Jack a more meaningful ending. Kind of like what we got at the end of season 3. So yeah, I'd prefer that. Of course they could do that with Audrey but I think it would be more meaningful with Chloe, a character we've gotten to know over the years.
Old 07-10-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And personally, Chloe dying gives Jack a more meaningful ending.
How it that? Because he lost yet another person that he cares about?

Seems far more meaningful to me if he was able to at least have a few people to have around that shared what he went through over the years when they have passed the jobs off to the new generation. To me it seemed like they have been doing that with Kate, Erik, and the new tech guy (not the dead one).
Old 07-10-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm still pissed Milo is gone, and more pissed that he was absent for so long until his re-emergence. He could have been a good dude to have around the entire series.
Old 07-10-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
How it that? Because he lost yet another person that he cares about?
Yes. It's been a running theme for the show, why give up on it now? Jack takes every risk and breaks every rule to save lives and he pays for that by losing his loved ones. Audrey may very well be next. And if they go that route all I'm saying is that it would be better if it were Chloe. I wouldn't be surprised if they set up the last episode with Jack having to choose between saving Audrey or Chloe while chasing down Cheng.
Old 07-10-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. It's been a running theme for the show, why give up on it now? Jack takes every risk and breaks every rule to save lives and he pays for that by losing his loved ones. Audrey may very well be next. And if they go that route all I'm saying is that it would be better if it were Chloe. I wouldn't be surprised if they set up the last episode with Jack having to choose between saving Audrey or Chloe while chasing down Cheng.
Not everybody has died, but I see where you are coming from. I still think it would be a better end for Jack, Chloe, Audrey (and Kim if they bring her back for a cameo) to be able to pass the torch to the new group and have some happiness together in their later years.
Old 07-10-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I'd like to see a final shot of Jack boarding a plane on the way back to Los Angeles ending with the silent clock. They did the silent clock on 24 Redemption when Jack left Sangala and headed back to the States. Even if we don't see him actually seeing Kim again, I think that would give the series a good sense of closure that he's finally heading home.
Old 07-10-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on. We NEED to see Elisha Cuthbert one more time.