Reload this Page >

Californication (S7E12) -- Series Finale -- "Grace" -- 6/29/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Californication (S7E12) -- Series Finale -- "Grace" -- 6/29/14

Old 07-03-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Californication (S7E12) -- Series Finale -- "Grace" -- 6/29/14

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Personally, the show should have ended at the season where Karen left her other guy and the last scene was them driving away in his car (can't remember which season that was). What we got didn't even feel like a season finale, let alone series finale.
That would be the first season. That season followed a perfect arc and ended definitively. They kept hitting the reset button after that, which is why there could never be any real closure, in our heads we can see them resetting the story over and over,
Old 07-03-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me, just fast forward 5-10 years or so. Hank and Karen are grandparents now or Hank died from lung cancer.
Old 07-04-14, 12:19 AM

Meh!
Old 07-04-14, 06:41 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Looks like I'm one of the few that enjoyed this season and pretty much every season. I think the writing on the show was hilarious and everyone cast in the part was spot on, but to each his own I guess.

I guess comedy (and I know everyone can question comedy and its definition) is probably one of the hardest to write given everyone has different tastes; but at least this didn't suck as bad as 'Dexter' or 'True Blood' in regard to show finales.

Long life Hank Moody
Old 07-04-14, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic View Post
Looks like I'm one of the few that enjoyed this season and pretty much every season. I think the writing on the show was hilarious and everyone cast in the part was spot on, but to each his own I guess.

I guess comedy (and I know everyone can question comedy and its definition) is probably one of the hardest to write given everyone has different tastes; but at least this didn't suck as bad as 'Dexter' or 'True Blood' in regard to show finales.

Long life Hank Moody
Whatever you say Tom Kapinos...
Old 07-04-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

but at least this didn't suck as bad as 'Dexter' or 'True Blood' in regard to show finales.
The True Blood finale hasn't been shown yet. Still 8 more episodes to go.
Old 07-04-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never would have known this was a series finale. I always liked the Hank Moody character, but the show just got bad for several years.

I did enjoy seeing Heather Graham, though. She still looks great.
Old 07-04-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

at least this didn't suck as bad as 'Dexter' or 'True Blood' in regard to show finales.
That was my only expectation coming into this thing. They managed to accomplish that, as it turned out better than the Dexter series finale. However, it was still a terrible finale by most standards. It was just opened ended really, with Karen and Hank living happily ever after... for the next month or so? (5 minutes is too drastic, even Hank Moody can keep it together for a few weeks)

I didn't hate this final season overall, but it was more entertaining when we were not presented with Hank dealing with either Karen or Becca. Yes I know those two will always end up back together, but it was all the other shenanigans and messed up situations that Moody/Levon/Runkle got themselves into that were interesting.
Old 07-05-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd have been happier with the finale if I knew that Hank really HAD changed and years down the road you could still see him with Karen... But I don't

There was enough this season to keep it above previous seasons in terms of quality. And as far as finales, I hated Weeds more than Dexter
Old 07-05-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He obviously didn't change. I mean the episode before he was going to have sex with Heather Graham before Levon walked in the room. The whole plotline of the last season was not needed at all and they could have ended up in the same place in a much better way that added more weight to the ending than throwing something together in the last episode.
Old 07-05-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority here, but I would have preferred Hank starting over with Julia. He has a "clean slate" with her, at least compared to Karen. So a new, "responsible" Hank starts life with his new family, Becca gets married and starts her own family, and Karen finds someone stable and boring to share her life with. I mean, I "get it" - the whole point of the show was Hank and Karen's relationship... but I would have preferred a curve ball ending myself.
Old 07-05-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority here, but I would have preferred Hank starting over with Julia. He has a "clean slate" with her, at least compared to Karen. So a new, "responsible" Hank starts life with his new family, Becca gets married and starts her own family, and Karen finds someone stable and boring to share her life with. I mean, I "get it" - the whole point of the show was Hank and Karen's relationship... but I would have preferred a curve ball ending myself.
I agree, and I thought that that was where they were going with in the introduction of Julia.

Hank and Karen should make their peace and go their separate ways. They can remain friends, but I think there's too much history and resentment there to have any kind of stable relationship.
Old 07-05-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't finished watching this season yet, upto episode 9 but am loving it!

The different dynamic with the son and Heather Graham who looks amazing is really fun to watch

Was sick of the old dynamic with karen

and supporting cast like Christopher Montasanti and Terry are great too
Old 07-05-14, 07:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i was indifferent. it was more of the same in the finale. nothing new or spectacular. rest in peace. it was a decent show...
Old 07-05-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post
I haven't finished watching this season yet, upto episode 9 but am loving it!

The different dynamic with the son and Heather Graham who looks amazing is really fun to watch

Was sick of the old dynamic with karen

and supporting cast like Christopher Montasanti and Terry are great too
Sadly it'll be going back into the familiar, old territory again...
Old 07-07-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished the finale. i would have at least liked to see a scene of Hank and Karen at Becca's wedding

The Julia and Rath setup seemed forced just to give Julia some kind of ending

I liked Marcy and Runkle ending

the show was the most fun when Hank was macking on random sluts.

I feel sorry for the actress who played Becca, i don't think she has much of a career post Californication

The actor who played Levon does
Old 04-09-15, 01:37 AM
Banned

Californication

I tried to search for an existing thread but nothing came up. I had never heard of this show until I got Netflix. I just cruised through all 7 seasons and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jumped shark a little in season 7 but still good. Ended just as I imagined
Spoiler:
with no real closure with him and Karen
Old 04-09-15, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Californication

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-29-14-a.html

We had episode threads for every season. This was the series finale thread from last year.
Old 04-09-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
I tried to search for an existing thread but nothing came up. I had never heard of this show until I got Netflix. I just cruised through all 7 seasons and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jumped shark a little in season 7 but still good. Ended just as I imagined
Spoiler:
with no real closure with him and Karen
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-29-14-a.html

For some reason the forum's search engine chokes on californication. Search on David Duchovny's name to get the threads about this show.

I get the feeling it could eventually come back as a cable movie.
Old 04-09-15, 01:59 AM
Banned

I just finished this show and really liked it. Yea theast season of 2 jumped the shark a little it didn't deter my overall feelings. As stated above I loved the scene with the Porsche and the door open. And I'm like most I knew it wouldn't end with any closure. We didn't get it for 6 seasons why get it now? I did enjoy the family and a little part of me hopes they remain together but after watching the show I can't see how it would happen
Old 04-09-15, 01:59 AM
Banned

Wow ok thanks guys
Old 04-09-15, 03:01 AM

I just binge watched this on Netflix a couple weeks ago, and felt the "professor season" was the beginning of the end. This is the first show I ever binged watched, ie: the whole series in like a week, so seeing such a span of shows in such a short period of time, I definitely felt the show became a parody of itself over the last couple seasons.
Old 03-24-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just binge watched the series. I imagine this final season would've been insanely frustrating to watch if you were a weekly viewer. The whole Karen and Hank dynamic wore out its welcome by season 3 so seeing that ending was pretty disappointing. Still, I really enjoyed the series.....but season 7 was really unnecessary and the series finale was pretty mediocre. I really would've preferred that Hank end up with the Heather Graham character.
Old 03-25-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it really did start running in circles with Hank and Karen, but it never went off the rails like Weeds did.

And it just sort of ended without any real closure. The finale felt more like just another episode, and not a series finale (with the exception of Hank giving up his Porsche) or even a season finale. You know that Hank is probably going to do something stupid at Becca's wedding, or something beyond his control is going to screw up his reconnection with Karen.
Old 03-25-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. Aside from Stew there really wasn't any closure at all. Have they given any indication if there will be a follow up movie or anything along those lines?