TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

Originally Posted by slop101
No they didn't because they didn't show who was in the picture he hit. You can assume it was someone who had somehow gone, but not the actual person. They only showed the picture later, after the reveal, when the daughter was picking out the broken glass.
Agreed. They let on that his wife was gone; and it was natural to assume she was Taken...not that she willingly abandoned her family for the cult.
Old 07-01-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a blink and you'll miss it moment. Obviously after the fact, I can see it's Amy Brenneman, but when I watched it initially, I wasn't looking for it.
Old 07-01-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No they didn't because they didn't show who was in the picture he hit. You can assume it was someone who had somehow gone, but not the actual person. They only showed the picture later, after the reveal, when the daughter was picking out the broken glass.
They showed the picture.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Spoiler:
[IMG][/IMG]

It was a blink and you'll miss it moment. Obviously after the fact, I can see it's Amy Brenneman, but when I watched it initially, I wasn't looking for it.
Yeah, I might have missed it as well had it been a lesser known actress.
Old 07-01-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by creekdipper
John in Cincinnati?
Nope, I actually loved JFC.
Old 07-01-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
They showed the picture.
My point was you can't tell who it was supposed to be, and the actual reveal was when he's at that house asking to speak to his wife.
Old 07-01-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

I'll continue to watch. I thought the book was decent, so I knew who the characters were in relation to each other.

I can see some being turned off by this though - as it was kinda slow and depressing. I can understand them taking their time in the pilot to set things up, but I hope it's not just the book spread across a few seasons because that would be dragging it out way too long.

One thing that bothered me from the book and the show (so far) is that this central family lost no one on Oct. 14th, but they're acting much more affected than others it seems. When reading the book I wanted to scream at the characters "quit your fucking whining - you family is still together!".

I liked the ending. Primal, realistic and depressing.
Old 07-02-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

^ Well there goes the theory that maybe she lost an unborn baby.
Old 07-02-14, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked up the spoilers and it seems like its probably an okay book but I don't know how this last more than a season. I think it would've been better as a movie.
Old 07-02-14, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this series goes on for a decade and keeps Damon Lindelof so busy he doesn't have time to work on anything else.
Old 07-02-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Has there been any talk of a second season being ordered already? This could easily be one and done.
I'm going to guess it will get renewed because it looks like it's a pretty cheap show to make...compared to other HBO dramas, at least.

Back to the pilot, did it bother anyone else that only 2 percent of the population was lost, yet the area where the baby went missing it seemed like there were 3 or 4 disappearances within 50 yards of everyone. If it was only 2 percent, you'd think only the baby would have gone missing in that area.
Old 07-02-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this was okay. A little heavy handed on the emotional piano music. I'm curious to see where it's going. How much material can they mine from what appears to be a small town? I feel like this could be either a really good show or really bad. Bad would be going down the road of The Killing where it's just an hour of watching people cry. What is going to be the central narrative drive for this show?
Old 07-02-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still struggling with the concept of the show. 2% of all people gone at once is a lot, but overall, it kinda' isn't. Not enough to hit people like this show would have you believe anyways. Now I know that 2% isn't evenly spread out, but for perspective, it's only about 5 or 6 people out of all my facebook friends. And in my immediate group of friends/family, it would be just one or two. A bummer, certainly, but really not as Earth-shattering as this show would make you believe. The big hurdle would be the mystery of the disappearance, not the disappearance itself, as evidenced by the Malaysian airliner. But, conveniently for them, the show doesn't want to look at the mystery, rather on the people, the bland, boring people...
Old 07-02-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'm still struggling with the concept of the show. 2% of all people gone at once is a lot, but overall, it kinda' isn't. Not enough to hit people like this show would have you believe anyways. Now I know that 2% isn't evenly spread out, but for perspective, it's only about 5 or 6 people out of all my facebook friends. And in my immediate group of friends/family, it would be just one or two. A bummer, certainly, but really not as Earth-shattering as this show would make you believe. The big hurdle would be the mystery of the disappearance, not the disappearance itself, as evidenced by the Malaysian airliner. But, conveniently for them, the show doesn't want to look at the mystery, rather on the people, the bland, boring people...

I'm guessing lotsa folks were also killed when people vanished while driving, flying, controlling dangerous machinery....dead babies and children after being left unattended...but I doubt they account for that in those numbers.
Old 07-02-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

The big hurdle would be the mystery of the disappearance, not the disappearance itself, as evidenced by the Malaysian airliner. But, conveniently for them, the show doesn't want to look at the mystery, rather on the people, the bland, boring people...
Yeah, I was really disappointed when I saw "Three Years Later" show up on the screen after the opening scene. I knew that meant the show was going to skip a lot of the stuff I wanted to see.
Old 07-02-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It's always a cheat when a show won't answer the central mystery of the concept. It means the writers and showrunner are admitting they aren't clever enough to come up with a solid answer.
Old 07-02-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah, 2% seems low. I thought the show was going to make it 25% or more. I guess 2 out of 100 is enough to make it a "wtf?" occurrence rather than an end of times type deal though.
Old 07-02-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's always a cheat when a show won't answer the central mystery of the concept. It means the writers and showrunner are admitting they aren't clever enough to come up with a solid answer.
That's unfair to say about a show like this. Whether or not it is any good, it is not a story about something weird that happened, it is a story about people who had something weird happen to them. The "mystery" is a macguffin.
Old 07-02-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
That's unfair to say about a show like this. Whether or not it is any good, it is not a story about something weird that happened, it is a story about people who had something weird happen to them. The "mystery" is a macguffin.
You understand that and the producers understand that, but try telling that to the average viewer who watches the series. Let's face it, any show that sets up a premise like THE LEFTOVERS and doesn't answer questions is going to lose viewers and anger the ones who stick around - at least as far as American audiences are concerned.
Old 07-02-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In fiction, anyone presenting a mystery and not solving it, regardless of what it's "supposed" to be about, is just being an asshole.
Old 07-02-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JTH182
Yeah, 2% seems low. I thought the show was going to make it 25% or more. I guess 2 out of 100 is enough to make it a "wtf?" occurrence rather than an end of times type deal though.
I'd think it has to be a fairly small number to avoid social calamity. 25% go away and society collapses, we already have that with the walking dead. 3 or 4% might have made it a little better, but 2% is enough that virtually everybody who isn't a shut-in is effected or knows someone who disappeared. Certainly it's a big enough number to make almost anyone question science, religion, their existence or whatever..
Old 07-02-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

Right. 2% of the population disappearing isn't enough to cause a huge problem just because of their physical absence. But it's the effect of the disappearance on the psyche of the remaining 98% that is causing all the problems.
Old 07-02-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
you are 100% correct. However, it is too BIG of a MacGuffin to completely ignore from an explanation point. Ignoring it in my view did not work in the books either. It made the book just too existential and weirdly detached from the event and the Camus' like indifference so many apply to the situation resonates in a hollow manner to be honest. But it is perfect for someone LOST, because he doesn't want to explain anything anyhow...just throw more plot and cool stuff in and logic be fucked
Old 07-02-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys don't get it. Talking about the 2%.

The show, and the book, would never explain why that happened. They are not about that.

The show is in America. Most is based in a small town in America. Most American towns are kind of religious. America believes in God, in general. So, you were following a religion, and it seems one of the most important things that can happen for anyone that follows a religion just happened. And you were not chosen. Of course that would affect you greatly. The show and the book are about that.

There more things of course, and if the show tries to follow the book, there will be some events happening, but nothing really huge like the disappearance of the 2%.
Old 07-03-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
You guys don't get it. Talking about the 2%.

The show, and the book, would never explain why that happened. They are not about that.
We get it just fine, we're just saying it's a gyp. They can have it be about something all they want. When a it turns out that majority of people are interested in something else, something that they're not going to cover, then they fucked up. Then they needed to present what they wanted in a manner that won't make people harp on this other thing.

And I brought up the 2% meaning that it's not a high enough number for these people to be going through this. I understand they're not going to address the mystery of it. But then why present that mystery at all?
Old 07-03-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

We get it just fine, we're just saying it's a gyp. They can have it be about something all they want. When a it turns out that majority of people are interested in something else, something that they're not going to cover, then they fucked up. Then they needed to present what they wanted in a manner that won't make people harp on this other thing.
I'm sure the show will at some point call it the Rapture and then boom!...it's been answered and explained.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.