Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girl Meets World (Disney) - Series Thread - Boy Meets World sequel series

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disney Channel considering "Boy Meets World" sequel series

I think the submit all ethnicities bit is strongly suggestive of adoption (unless that Topanga Goes Black link I just located becomes show canon ).
Old 11-08-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'd be down for this as well. I really enjoyed this show.
Old 11-09-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
I just looked at the Disney Channel website to see their programming. If its anything like those shows then just forget it. I don't think the tone should be "tween fare". ABC Family is where a show like this belongs. The original show doesn't fit in with the garbage the Disney seems to be airing.
Don't slam them without having seen anything but a promo. As many posters/parents can attest, some of the shows are surprisingly good. They aren't just drivel but they are definitely aimed at their audience.
Old 11-26-12, 04:47 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Exclusive: Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel Officially Join Girl Meets World Pilot
Boy Meets World fans, meet the best news you’ll hear all day. TVLine has learned exclusively that Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel have officially signed on to reprise their roles as Cory Matthews and Topanga Lawrence in the red-hot Disney Channel pilot Girl Meets World.The potential sequel series (which TVLine first told you about earlier this month) picks up more than a decade after Boy Meets World ended its ABC run and finds Cory and Topanga happily married and raising their 13-year-old daughter, Riley (from whose point of view the story is told). The pilot is still in the very early stages of development with Boy Meets World creator and executive producer Michael Jacobs at the helm.
A nationwide casting search is underway for the role of Riley.
Old 11-26-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Please be good.

Originally Posted by shumway
Don't slam them without having seen anything but a promo. As many posters/parents can attest, some of the shows are surprisingly good. They aren't just drivel but they are definitely aimed at their audience.
Yeah, I like a lot of those Disney shows. They're not all gold (Phineas & Ferb set the bar very high) but there are plenty of good shows on the network.
Old 11-26-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having grown up watching Boy Meets World, I'd be interested in checking this one out, at the very least...
Old 11-27-12, 07:33 AM

From Danielle Fishel's tumblr

Girl Meets World
First of all, let me say that you, the fans of Boy Meets World, have been awesome. That word is often used incorrectly by people, including myself, on a daily basis but you have truly been awe inspiring. You, yes, even YOU, are the reason that Girl Meets World WILL BE MADE. J

I do not know how many BMW cast members will be returning for GMW, or how often they may appear if and/or when they do appear. I am going to do my best to not speak for others with this open post. But because I have known Michael Jacobs, Ben Savage, Rider Strong, Will Friedle, and Bill Daniels for 19 years, I know we share many of the same feelings regarding the 7 wonderful years we spent making BMW. Those years were among the most warm, hilarious, insightful, educational years of my life and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. Another thing I wouldn’t trade for anything is the integrity and the heart with which BMW was made. I promise with the entirety of my heart that we will make GMW with the same honesty, innocence, and intelligence that you learned to expect from BMW.

I say this because making the decision to do the show involved more conversations than you can possible imagine. These conversations were with the same people I mentioned above because they were all instrumental in creating and maintaining the heart of BMW. The first comment out of every person’s mouth was, “Let’s only do it if we think we can create something as special as we did with BMW.” When the news leaked that GMW was in the making, literally days after I first heard about the project myself, Michael Jacobs and I had a conversation and we talked about how we were both so blown away by the reactions from all of you. We felt honored. We felt nostalgic. We felt touched by the excitement in your comments, tweets, Tumblr, and Facebook posts. But most of all, we felt inspired. We felt inspired to bring these characters back to life and to tell you more of their stories. Michael said to me, “Danielle, when I read what people say BMW meant to them it makes me so very proud of all of us. I think it is important for us, for as long as we are fortunate enough to have this opportunity to do GMW, that we all look each other in the eyes every so often and make sure we know we have something of value to offer the audience.” I think we have that with GMW.

I say that so that I can say this: GMW is a new show. It isn’t BMW brought back to life but in current day. It will have familiar faces, familiar themes, and familiar messages. It will also have new faces, new themes, and new messages. BMW never spoke down to the audience and we are going to do our best to never do that with GMW. But please keep in mind that this there will be episode 1, of season 1, of a brand new show. We started at the same place with BMW but we evolved and we evolved quickly. For those of you who knew and loved BMW, please allow this show to evolve as well. Stick with us. Give us a chance.

In the meantime, a sincere thank you to every one of you for all of your tweets (I read them all, every day. It killed me not to be able to talk about it!), even those of you who asked us not to do it. There were only a few of you but I know why you don’t want GMW to happen and I appreciate that BMW meant enough to you that you don’t want to see its legacy tarnished. I can assure you, we don’t want that either. Your love, dedication, and appreciation means more to us than you could ever know and it will be the driving force behind our passion to make the best show we can possibly make. Thank you for giving us the chance to do it again.

Love,
Danielle
Old 11-27-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I know it was pretty popular during it's initial ABC run but I think it got even more popular when it was re-ran on Disney Channel. I know that's where I first discovered it at least since they used to run a hour block of it everyday after school. I agree though now days Disney doesn't really air programming like this and seems to air stuff aimed more toward younger kids. This seems like it would be good on ABC or ABC Family.

Doesn't Disney also own ABC/ABC Family though?

I agree, the reruns on the Disney Channel increased the popularity. There used to be tumblr site where people used to discuss favorite shows from the past. Someone once posted about how "Boy Meets World was the best Disney show ever. "That person didn't know that it wasn't original Disney show.
Old 11-27-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Please be good.

Yeah, I like a lot of those Disney shows. They're not all gold (Phineas & Ferb set the bar very high) but there are plenty of good shows on the network.

P&F is easily the best, but it's not in the same vein as the other disney shows.

Pretty much the only current Disney shows I can't stand AT ALL are "Jessie" and "Dog with a Blog" (Seriously? Dog with a Blog???)

Of the "tween" shows, "Good Luck Charlie" is probably my favorite. I can sit through a few episodes of "Shake it Up", and maybe 1 episode of "A.N.T. Farm" or "Austin and Ally".

i have a 6-year-old daughter.
Old 11-28-12, 07:33 PM

From Rider Strong's website. He is not currently involved. But, I really can't see him not coming back for atleast a few guest spots.

Years ago, I was on a train in Spain. It was four in the morning, and I was traveling by myself from Salamanca to Madrid.

A young man approached me and began talking rapidly. I don’t speak Spanish. He didn’t speak English.

I couldn’t figure out what he wanted. We went back and forth for awhile in a stumbling, half-sign-language conversation. Finally, right when he was about to give up, he got an idea. He pointed at me and said one word.

“Topanga?”

Call it the universal language of Boy Meets World.

For more than two-thirds of my life, I’ve had the good fortune to experience the incredible support of Boy Meets World fans. Complete strangers hug me on the street. I’ve been mobbed by school children on the subway. I’ve had tow-truck drivers recognize me and refuse to let me pay. I’ve had people buy me drinks in Louisville, in Hyderabad, in Accra…

And that’s just the people I’ve met in person. I can’t express enough gratitude to the BMW fans, who not only watched our show when it first aired, but who continue to watch it, spread the word, and even introduce it to their children. It’s an overwhelming feeling to have that kind of support for something we did over a decade ago. When I opened a Twitter account, I thought maybe I’d get a few hundred followers. It wasn’t long before thousands of people were checking in and sending me messages.

Boy Meets World was a defining aspect of my life, and I cherish those seven years. It was never just a job — on a personal level, many of my best memories and friendships were formed because of it.

So I am extremely happy for Ben and Danielle to be able to continue the story. At this point, I have no official involvement in Girl Meets World. There might be a chance to see some of the BMW cast in a guest spot, and I think it would be nice to find out where our characters have been all these years. But Girl Meets World will be, and I think it should be, it’s own show. It will be about Cory and Topanga, their daughter, and a new set of characters.

It’s the next generation.

And I, for one, can’t wait to see it evolve.

Last edited by dex14; 11-28-12 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And, from The Onion:

'Boy Meets World' Spin Off To Focus On Difficulties Of Raising Autistic Child
NOVEMBER 28, 2012 | ISSUE 48•48

LOS ANGELES—Delighting fans of the popular ’90s sitcom, producers at ABC announced Tuesday that Cory Matthews, Topanga Lawrence, and other beloved characters from Boy Meets World will soon return to the small screen in Girl Meets World, an hour-long drama that centers on the couple as they struggle to raise a severely autistic daughter. “Children of the ’90s rejoice: Cory and Topanga are back and better than ever as the parents of 13-year-old Riley, an autistic teenager whose debilitating disabilities prevent her from fitting in with peers, understanding basic instructions, or showing any affection for her parents whatsoever,” executive producer Michael Jacobs said of the new show, in which the family also copes with long periods of unemployment, their daughter’s medical expenses, and the loss of Pvt. Eric Matthews in the Afghanistan War. “We’re thrilled that Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel will reprise their roles from the original series, as both are skilled performers capable of portraying the deep personal anguish that will follow their characters as they navigate the harsh realities of 21st-century American life.” Jacobs also confirmed that noted character actor William Daniels would return to the series as retired educator George Feeny, who has been admitted to hospice care after developing Alzheimer’s disease.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/boy...culties,30538/
Old 11-28-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
P&F is easily the best, but it's not in the same vein as the other disney shows.

Pretty much the only current Disney shows I can't stand AT ALL are "Jessie" and "Dog with a Blog" (Seriously? Dog with a Blog???)

Of the "tween" shows, "Good Luck Charlie" is probably my favorite. I can sit through a few episodes of "Shake it Up", and maybe 1 episode of "A.N.T. Farm" or "Austin and Ally".

I love Good Luck Charlie. I first watched it because there was nothing else on and was instantly hooked. I love that the show feels more like a sitcom for adults than one that panders to kids. Shake it Up has gotten better so now I'm able to watch it regularly. A.N.T. Farm has a pretty good premise but a generic excecution so I didn't stick with it. For some reason, I can't bring myself to give Austin and Ally a chance. Though I like the lead actress, Jessie is a terrible show that is just wasting airspace that could be better spent on more Phineas and Ferb episodes. The ads for Dog with a Blog give me nausea.

I have no kids yet I'm actually hooked on Disney and Nickelodeon shows.
Old 11-28-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was older than the target audience during the initial run of BMW, but I still enjoyed the latter seasons. I'll almost certainly check out the new show.
Old 11-28-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Girl Meets World promo pic:

Spoiler:
Old 11-28-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

From Rider Strong's website. He is not currently involved. But, I really can't see him not coming back for atleast a few guest spots.
Hopefully Rider Strong is a part of it in some capacity. I was always a bit surprised that he didn't do more after the show ended as I thought he had the most potential from the actors on the show. He was in Cabin Fever and a couple other television things but that's really about it.
Old 11-29-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I love Good Luck Charlie. I first watched it because there was nothing else on and was instantly hooked. I love that the show feels more like a sitcom for adults than one that panders to kids. Shake it Up has gotten better so now I'm able to watch it regularly. A.N.T. Farm has a pretty good premise but a generic excecution so I didn't stick with it. For some reason, I can't bring myself to give Austin and Ally a chance. Though I like the lead actress, Jessie is a terrible show that is just wasting airspace that could be better spent on more Phineas and Ferb episodes. The ads for Dog with a Blog give me nausea.

I have no kids yet I'm actually hooked on Disney and Nickelodeon shows.
Seems our tastes are similar, although you seem to be going for the pedophile angle.

I normally just watch with my daughter when she's watching, but I made sure to record the "Good Luck Charlie" baby episode. If GMW is in the same vein as GLC, I'll be happy. The parents are heavily involved and often have their own plots. I often find myself having to watch the conclusion of episodes on my own even if my daughter has left the room.

The leads on "Shake it Up" actually have really good chemistry, and the secondary characters have their moments. On a side note, did something happen to Gunter? It looked like he was dropped from the credits.

I agree the lead on Jessie is decent, but the kids are abysmal and anything with the lizard is below dreck.

The lead on A.N.T Farm really annoys me, so I can't stand too much of that show.
Old 11-29-12, 02:47 AM

Eh... I havent watched the Disney Channel in years so I'm not really sure what their programming is like these days. I think it would be much better suited for ABC Family. Pair it with Melissa & Joey (never watched it) or something along those lines.
I admit I'm a huge Disney Channel geek and their programming has changed for the better. They have a very popular family oriented show called Good Luck Charlie, as well as Jessie about a nanny and her kids, as well as Dog with a Blog which is essentially about a talking dog and the family he lives with. As well as the more tween fame oriented shows like ANT Farm, Austin and Ally, and Shake It Up.

I think Disney Channel is the perfect fit.

And I can see Disney airing the repeats on ABC Family to garner more viewers.
Old 11-29-12, 02:48 AM

Jessie and Shake It Up are really my favorites right now. Good Luck Charlie got really old really quickly, and ANT Farm has kind of lost track of its original plot. Austin and Ally is cute sometimes and Dog with a Blog is goofy fun.
Old 11-29-12, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems our tastes are similar, although you seem to be going for the pedophile angle.
Haha. If anything, that would be the ephebophile angle and no.

To be honest, the only reason I got hooked on these shows was thanks to random channel surfing. It's the same way I got hooked on some Nick shows like Big Time Rush (which is really just a modern take on The Monkeys), iCarly, Victorious (love their thinly-veiled-stoner teacher), and Tough Puppy.

I normally just watch with my daughter when she's watching, but I made sure to record the "Good Luck Charlie" baby episode. If GMW is in the same vein as GLC, I'll be happy. The parents are heavily involved and often have their own plots. I often find myself having to watch the conclusion of episodes on my own even if my daughter has left the room.
Yeah, I love that show actually gives equal screentime to the mom and dad. Also, they usually get the best laughs. Speaking of the parents, it's impressive how ripped the dad got considering he was mostly chunky during the early seasons. He's actually in better shape than when he was Little John in Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

The leads on "Shake it Up" actually have really good chemistry, and the secondary characters have their moments. On a side note, did something happen to Gunter? It looked like he was dropped from the credits.
Yeah, the show has been getting better as it goes on and the chemistry is definitely spot on.

Now that you mention it, the last time I recall seeing Gunter was during the Japan special.

I agree the lead on Jessie is decent, but the kids are abysmal and anything with the lizard is below dreck.
Exactly right. The kids drag the show far bellow the ground. And, yeah, the lizard antics are the polar opposite of funny.

The lead on A.N.T Farm really annoys me, so I can't stand too much of that show.
I liked her in House of Payne and that's why I gave the show a shot. But the writing is dreadful and they made her (and pretty much everyone) as obnoxious as possible.

But my other issue is that for a show about supremely gifted kids, they made them as generic as possible. You could exchange the premise for a totally different one and it wouldn't affect the show in the slightest.
Old 11-29-12, 05:48 AM

Exactly right. The kids drag the show far bellow the ground. And, yeah, the lizard antics are the polar opposite of funny.
Disagree. I love the kids. Especially Ravi and Luke. And I love the dynamic between Jessie and the kids. The episodes "Gotcha Day" and "The Whining" are two of the best character oriented episodes of the series so far.

But my other issue is that for a show about supremely gifted kids, they made them as generic as possible. You could exchange the premise for a totally different one and it wouldn't affect the show in the slightest.
Disagree. In spite of it being McClain's show Sierra McCormick steals every scene she shares with her. The show makes me laugh constantly.
Old 11-29-12, 05:50 AM

The actor who played Gunther quit to--what else--pursue his music career like 99 percent of the current Disney stars. He'll be doing recurring spots, but nothing solid anymore. Gunther and Tinka were never fully realized as fun supporting characters in either case.
Old 11-29-12, 05:51 AM

Yeah, I love that show actually gives equal screentime to the mom and dad. Also, they usually get the best laughs. Speaking of the parents, it's impressive how ripped the dad got considering he was mostly chunky during the early seasons. He's actually in better shape than when he was Little John in Robin Hood: Men In Tights.
I find the parents generally grating. I think the kids really keep the show afloat, especially PJ and Gabe.
Old 11-29-12, 05:54 AM

GLC and Austin and Ally are difficult to sit through. But the other shows are generally a lot of fun for me. I admit to being very entertained by them. They can be dumb on occasion, but their humor can also make me laugh aloud. Especially ANT Farm.
Old 11-29-12, 07:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

isn't Topanga a lard ass now a days?
Old 11-29-12, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
isn't Topanga a lard ass now a days?
I hope not cos she looked good in this post.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.