Reload this Page >

Wilfred (FXX) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 6/25/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-25-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Returning comedy series Wilfred will move to FXX for its fourth and final season starting Wednesday, June 25 at 10 PM ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes. Wilfred is a half-hour, live-action comedy about "Ryan," a young man struggling to make his way in the world until he forms a unique friendship with "Wilfred," his neighbor's canine pet. Everyone else sees Wilfred as just a dog, but Ryan sees a crude and somewhat surly, yet irrepressibly brave and honest Australian bloke in a cheap dog suit. Executive Producers are David Zuckerman, Reed Agnew, Eli Jorné, Jason Gann, Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz of Prospect Park, Randall Einhorn, and Joe Connor and Ken Connor of Renegade. Elijah Wood stars as "Ryan" and Jason Gann plays the title character "Wilfred." Series regulars also include Fiona Gubelmann and Dorian Brown. Wilfred is produced by FX Productions. FXX will air 10 episodes of Wilfred for Season 4 on Wednesday nights at 10 PM ET/PT.

Episode 1 summary

Episode 1 / Production #401 - "Amends" (Airs June 25, 10:00 pm e/p) - When Ryan's reality is upended, he gets a second chance to make things right. Written by Reed Agnew & Eli Jorne; directed by Randall Einhorn.

10 episode 4th and Final season
Old 06-25-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wilfred (FXX) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 6/25/14

Hopefully it's better than last season
Old 06-25-14, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully there's some definitive mythology answers to finish the series out.
Old 06-25-14, 11:08 PM

These two episodes:

wut
Old 06-27-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man, I'm going to miss this show when it is gone. So dark and twisted. I love it.

I'm really anxious to see how they resolve this stuff. The only way any of it makes any type of sense is if Ryan is completely batshit crazy. Hopefully somewhere towards the end they show Ryan interacting with the real dog version of Wilfred just to illustrate how bonkers he really is.
Old 06-27-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they have pretty much painted themselves into a corner. Ryan has to be totally crazy for the show to make sense. Somewhere along the way they got more concerned playing with the meta nature of Ryan and Wilfred's relationship than remembering to write funny dialogue.

I would have handled the relationship between Jenna and Ryan much, much differently. That was the core of the show when it worked best.
Old 06-29-14, 08:28 AM

I'm loving this. Unlike, say, Lost, I don't really give a shit if they tie everything up and make sense of it all. I just enjoy it for the weirdness that it is.
Old 07-02-14, 10:31 PM

When they came out of the basement tonight it was clearly a closet.

*inception noise*
Old 07-09-14, 10:41 PM

What the hell

Also apparently they recasted Bruce & the Mom because they conpletely wrote every script for the season then found out the actor & actress weren't available.

Last edited by anomynous; 07-09-14 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what in the hell. this show is becoming quite the mindfuck. i'm leaning all towards this is all in ryan's head, him living a life inside of it, because he is crazy and already institutionalized.
Old 07-10-14, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
what in the hell. this show is becoming quite the mindfuck. i'm leaning all towards this is all in ryan's head, him living a life inside of it, because he is crazy and already institutionalized.
That's kinda where I am as well.

Although it would be kinda funny if he was "Truman Show"ed, and everybody is in on it.
Old 07-13-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must be in the minority here because I have an immense dislike for the direction the show has taken the past two seasons. It's not funny anymore. I don't think I've laughed once this season and if this wasn't the end I'd just delete the season pass.
Old 07-13-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I must be in the minority here because I have an immense dislike for the direction the show has taken the past two seasons. It's not funny anymore. I don't think I've laughed once this season and if this wasn't the end I'd just delete the season pass.
I thought the biggest misstep the show took was making Jenna little more than a occasional secondary character. Without Jenna the show loses the third side of the triangle that helped make the whole thing work. I've chugged along since then hoping it would regain it's magic. It doesn't appear that it ever will. Too bad.
Old 07-13-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

while i agree, it's not nearly as funny as it used to be, i think they needed to go in the direction they were. it wouldn't make much sense if they continued to have the ryan/wilfred relationship as it is, with not much of an explanation as to why it is.
Old 07-13-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They obsessively started focusing on Ryan's problems when the real star of the show was Wilfred. They should have brought someone else in on Ryan's possible delusion like Jenna.

I think what happened is that Drew was a funny supporting character and they couldn't conceive of keeping him around unless he was Jenna's boyfriend, which ended her relationship with Ryan.
Old 07-18-14, 09:49 AM

Has anybody noticed how part of the past episode is out of focus around the edges of the shot while everything in the middle is in focus? Is this supposed to reflect Ryan being high or something? Seems like I have noticed this before in other episodes, but I'm not sure if there is a pattern to it.
Old 07-18-14, 09:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm with you here. I was in the middle of an episode and I was just like why the fuck am I watching this? But I haven't watched the last 3 years to just stop before it ends.
Old 07-18-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Frankly, I am merely sticking around since I've seen the entire run. The first season was a truly innovative, funny comedy. It has gotten progressively worse each season. They went off the deep end with the meta-humor of Ryan's situation.
Old 07-19-14, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I'm with you here. I was in the middle of an episode and I was just like why the fuck am I watching this? But I haven't watched the last 3 years to just stop before it ends.
Me too. I really liked the first couple seasons, but the past two have been pretty bad. I agree that they had to do "something" with the situation and not just keep it going forever... but I miss when it was "funny" not "weird".
Old 07-20-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, this last episode actually went back to alot of things I liked about the first two seasons. "Skin of the human that kicked me" and the crinkling of the dog food bag were great.

I hope that continues.
Old 07-20-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Has anybody noticed how part of the past episode is out of focus around the edges of the shot while everything in the middle is in focus? Is this supposed to reflect Ryan being high or something? Seems like I have noticed this before in other episodes, but I'm not sure if there is a pattern to it.
Was that during the flashbacks?
Old 07-20-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grenier View Post
Was that during the flashbacks?
Yeah, it was when he was relating what he did. Just like Wilfred's were only in black and white.
Old 07-21-14, 10:12 AM

No. I noticed it the morning after they got high when his sister showed up at his house.
Old 07-23-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jenna in that dress...
Old 07-24-14, 11:59 PM

What the fuck with Bruce-Krungle

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.