DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Stephen King's Under the Dome - Season 2 Discussion - CBS (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620773-stephen-kings-under-dome-season-2-discussion-cbs.html)

mrhan 06-25-14 08:54 AM

Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - Season 2 Discussion - CBS

Originally Posted by Xiroteus (Post 12149686)
It really does not need more then this season.

I agree. The book's timeline is only a week. How much more of the story can they stretch out? I bailed before the finale last season but I will stick around this thread for the funny comments.

Meathead 06-25-14 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 12149724)
I agree. The book's timeline is only a week. How much more of the story can they stretch out? I bailed before the finale last season but I will stick around this thread for the funny comments.

This. lol

TomOpus 06-25-14 03:14 PM

With everyone bailing on the series, there won't be any comments, funny or otherwise, to read in this thread.

DJariya 06-25-14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12150126)
With everyone bailing on the series, there won't be any comments, funny or otherwise, to read in this thread.

Yeah since the majority of this forum refuses to watch season 2 and is just expecting stupid commentary, then what's the point of this thread? :shrug:

mortalplague 06-25-14 06:23 PM

Ugh I told myself i wasn't going to tune in this year since last year was horrible, however, considering i'm not watching much this summer i might give it a chance. I'm sure I'm going to hate myself for that decision.

Bill Needle 06-25-14 06:33 PM

Oh, I'll definitely be watching off the DVR at some point. The only thing that would actually bother me is if the show actually improved from comically awful to just another crappy network drama.

DJariya 06-28-14 02:41 PM

Okay, so I finally finished season 1 via Amazon Prime.

Yeah the acting on this series is pretty bad and sometimes way over the top (Dean Norris specifically). It wasn't unwatchable.

But, I don't get way most in this forum lost their shit with the cliffhanger? We all know that Barbie won't die. Was everyone here really that pissed that this got a 2nd season? The show is filmed months in advance before it airs on CBS. Even with the renewal announcement for a 2nd season midway through airing, it's not like they were making things up to stretch this show out. The finale was filmed at least 2 months before it aired. From what I understood this was a very loose adaptation of King's book. The Pink Stars in the Sky must have some major significance for the second season.

In the timeline of season 1 (13 episodes), they mentioned a few times that only 2 weeks had passed since the dome dropped. :shrug: The show isn't realtime, but it seems feasible to me that only a short period of time has passed and season 2 is still in that timeframe.

mrhan 06-28-14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12152824)
From what I understood this was a very loose adaptation of King's book.

Yes, very loose. They added or omitted things from the book which should have been left as is. They could of done a straight adaptation and it would have been just fine. If they did it like Shawshank where there were really minor changes from the novella I think it would have worked; especially in a mini series format.

stvn1974 06-28-14 04:44 PM

I finally watched season one so I am ready for season two. If the female cop was any dumber she would be promoted to the FBI and be on The Following.

Abob Teff 06-28-14 10:10 PM

I think most of us lost our shit because there was not supposed to be a cliffhanger. This was originally announced as a 13 episode miniseries. Once that changed there seemed to be lots of fluff.

DJariya 06-28-14 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12153039)
I think most of us lost our shit because there was not supposed to be a cliffhanger. This was originally announced as a 13 episode miniseries. Once that changed there seemed to be lots of fluff.

The whole "Miniseries" vs "Limited Series" title for this show has been up for debate since last summer. Some articles claim this was originally developed as a miniseries. However, I recall an interview with Brian K Vaughan, who was one of the head writers and producers, when the show premiered and he said it wasn't a miniseries, but was developed with another season in mind. Who knows? Obviously the show was really successful because it spawned a second summer series for CBS Extant and they got a huge A list actor Halle Berry as the lead.

Some articles called this show a "Limited Series", which people assume means 1 and done. However, a lot of TV networks say it just means limited episodes like a cable order of 10-13 and not 22-24 episodes.

mwbmis 06-28-14 11:27 PM

It would have worked so much better as a one shot 13 episode season. I was looking forward to that for months last year. Then they made all those changes from the book (and not in any real way for the better) that I couldn't really get past four or five episodes before I quit b/c the show was just so stupid. The last episode I watched was when the truck barreled into the water tower.

DJariya 06-30-14 03:18 PM

Premieres tonight at 10pm. I guess 95% of this forum doesn't give a crap and will be watching something else off the DVR or asleep. :lol:

For the record, I'll be watching 24 at 10pm after it records and will probably get to this at 11pm.

BARBIE'S FATE IS IN BIG JIM'S HANDS, ON THE SECOND SEASON PREMIERE OF "UNDER THE DOME," MONDAY, JUNE 30

Premiere Episode Written by Bestselling Author and Executive Producer Stephen King, Who Also Makes a Cameo Appearance

Eddie Cahill and Karla Crome Join the Cast as Series Regulars

Filmed on Location in Wilmington, N.C.

"Heads Will Roll" - Barbie's fate lies in Big Jim's hands, and the Dome presents a new threat when it becomes magnetized. Meanwhile, Julia seeks out the help of a stranger to save the life of a mysterious girl who may hold clues to origin of the Dome, on the second season premiere of UNDER THE DOME, Monday, June 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode was written by bestselling author and executive producer Stephen King, who also makes a cameo appearance, and was filmed on location in Wilmington, N.C. Eddie Cahill and Karla Crome join the cast as series regulars.

SERIES REGULARS:

Mike Vogel (Dale "Barbie" Barbara)
Rachelle Lefevre (Julia Shumway)
Dean Norris (James "Big Jim" Rennie)
Eddie Cahill (Sam Verdreaux)
Alexander Koch (Junior Rennie)
Nicholas Strong (Phil Bushey)
Colin Ford (Joe McAlister)
Mackenzie Lintz (Norrie Calvert-Hill)
Karla Crome (Rebecca Pine)
Natalie Martinez (Deputy Linda Esquivel)
Britt Robertson (Angie McAlister)

GUEST CAST:

Grace Victoria Cox (Melanie Cross)
Aisha Hinds (Carolyn Hill)
Sherry Stringfield (Pauline)
Jolene Purdy (Dodee)
Stephen King (Diner Patron)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producer Stephen King

DIRECTED BY: Executive Producer Jack Bender

Deftones 06-30-14 05:22 PM

so on the fence about this show. i hated how it ended. it wasn't even a very good summer distraction. but i might still watch it to see how terrible it remains.

Bill Needle 06-30-14 06:46 PM

No homes made of gasoline-soaked rags, no sale.

whotony 06-30-14 09:11 PM

5 minutes and already any hope for Intelligence is gone.

Abob Teff 07-01-14 12:38 AM

Will catch it in a few days on Amazon ... do not have high hopes.

DJariya 07-01-14 12:59 AM

Awesome opening sequence.

:rip: Linda. Crappy way to go. Getting crushed to death by an SUV.

DJariya 07-01-14 01:40 AM

-eek-

Holy Shit :rip: Angie as well. That was unexpected.

So they killed off 2 regulars from season 1, Big Jim grows a conscience and Stephen King makes a cameo ordering a cup of coffee.

Oh and Junior's Mom is apparently still alive.

The magnetic pulse sequence was pretty darn cool if you ask me. The special effects were pretty impressive, but they probably blew most of their Special FX budget on that sequence alone.

I thought it was pretty entertaining first episode. Like or hate the show, IMO it's never boring.

Jackskeleton 07-01-14 04:15 AM

Linda died as she lived... a moron.

Xiroteus 07-01-14 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12155091)
-eek-

Holy Shit :rip: Angie as well. That was unexpected.

I'm sure she's fine, it was just a little ax................ o.O

TomOpus 07-01-14 08:15 AM

We had tornado warnings so the local station interrupted the show saying it will re-air on Wednesday night.

Shannon Nutt 07-01-14 08:40 AM

I did enjoy the "Attack of the Kitchen Appliances" scene, but that's about it.

I love how this show introduces new characters that no one seems to have noticed before...then again, the prologue said the dome has only been up two weeks, so I guess that's acceptable.

Did everyone notice the monument outside of Junior's mom's apartment was the same as the one in the snow globe in Junior's dream? At least they've finally shown someone OUTSIDE the Dome...I was hoping they'd eventually do that.

So I guess Angie's really dead? I knew Linda's character was being killed off, but didn't know about Angie. I guess on this show, you can always come back and haunt Big Jim. :)

ATX 07-01-14 08:51 AM

wow. a year later and more garbage

do people like this show because steven kings name is on it?

a whole bunch of random scenes thrown together

bad dialogue and writing

same ugly lil kids who cant act

lady cop get smashed up

random science teacher

electromagnetism, ghosts, everyone passing out

random woman zombie from water

just dumb, no direction

DJariya 07-01-14 11:14 AM

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...y-rise/278502/

Under the Dome was down from last season, but still had the highest ratings of the entire night. Actually it's the first time CBS won the Monday at 10pm timeslot since last summer IIRC.