Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S4E10) -- Season Finale -- "The Children" -- 6/15/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S4E10) -- Season Finale -- "The Children" -- 6/15/14

Old 06-16-14, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S4E10) -- Season Finale -- "The Children" -- 6/15/14

Favorite season yet (haven't and won't read the books). Some wonderful TV viewing!
Old 06-16-14, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Hope you guys savored this season, next one's gonna be boring by comparison.
I have a feeling that next season Bran becomes the flashback machine. We already know they are casting for at least one flashback.

We also know that there's another flashback that the show has ignored for 4 seasons that's pivotal to the entire series

And we can introduce the 'uncles'. Some bad ass characters there

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 06-16-14 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Great finale, and just a great season overall. It is amazing how they are able to kill off so many characters season after season, yet they give them enough screen time that you care when die, and it just doesn't come off as some random death. And Cersei is one evil person for telling her dad about her love for her brother!

As for people being disappointed in the show after reading the books, doesn't that pretty much happen with any movie anyway? The books are always going to be more detailed, so you are setting yourself up for some type of disappointment. I thinking seeing a TV show or Movie, and THEN reading the books is the best way to go. IMO.
Old 06-16-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Tyrion had every right to feel angry at Tywin. This was his father. The man who was supposed to love and protect him. Instead, he treated him like a cancerous tumor in the family. Not giving him the chance to prove his innocence when all the evidence , if there was any, was purely circumstantial. And then manipulating the woman he loved to betray him.
Tyrion didn't know Tywin manipulated Shae. In fact no one knows. It is more likely Cersei manipulated Shae. Tywin didn't even know about Jamie and Cersei it is possible he thought he gave Tyrion a chance to prove himself.

Tywin clearly hated Tyrion but Tywin also started a war for Tyrion. Tywin also made him hand of the king. To me the show didn't give enough of a reason for Tyrion to risk his life to go kill him. It was a stupid thing to do from a character that is usually played smarter than this.
Old 06-16-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought it was a really good finale. Probably the best of the four seasons.

Non-book reader, but I'm not so sure we've seen the last of the Hound.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-16-14 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The CGI looked fine on our screen. You must have shitty bandwidth.
Nope, sorry. I watched the real time broadcast on TV, not through a computer. Still think it looked bad.

I'm genuinely intrigued what D&D do with Bran next season since they have no more book material for him.

I also agree that I wish Jaime had told Tyrion the truth about his wife, that certainly would have given Tyrion more incentive to go up and do what he did. Would have made the scene more effective.
Old 06-16-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post

People who think "penultimate" somehow means "super duper awesome ultimate" are one of my biggest pet peeves
Sorry, I will never do that again

Awesome episode, the only thing I felt iffy on is Brienne running into Arya. It felt too random since they don't appear to be on a road (especially with Hound popping), but on the side of a rocky hill.

I have been waiting for so long to see Tyrion strangling Shae and shooting Tywin. Loved how Tywin tried to talk his way out of it too "You are my son!".

Bran getting to the Gandalf was pretty great too with those skeletons.

One question, did Stannis hired all those cavalry from the money he borrowed from the Iron Bank?
Old 06-16-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts

Random thoughts on a great finale:

Brienne and Pod are going to the Eyrie. Arya and the Hound are coming from the Eyrie. It's not so odd they'd run into each other. Their fight was fantastic. I love that she played just as dirty as he did.

The Tywin/Tyrion is my favorite moment from the books and played out perfectly here.

I thought the CG skeletons looked fantastic. Better than the plodding zombies we've seen up to this point. Amazing what they can do on a TV budget. I've seen the CGI praised on other recaps for this episode too.

Also thought they did a great job with the dragons too. It's tough to get an emotional reaction out of thin air but it really looked like Dany was locking up her pets and their reaction was downright heartbreaking.

In the books the symbol for the Hand of the King is a chain, not a brooch. Shae is wearing it and nothing else when Tyrion finds her. Ever since they made that change I've wondered how they'd handle her death. I thought they might have Tyrion stab her with the pin . Glad they kept the strangling, as it makes it sadder than a violent stabbing or something.

All in all I couldn't be happier with how they wrapped things up.
Old 06-16-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Sorry, I will never do that again

Awesome episode, the only thing I felt iffy on is Brienne running into Arya. It felt too random since they don't appear to be on a road (especially with Hound popping), but on the side of a rocky hill.

I have been waiting for so long to see Tyrion strangling Shae and shooting Tywin. Loved how Tywin tried to talk his way out of it too "You are my son!".

Bran getting to the Gandalf was pretty great too with those skeletons.

One question, did Stannis hired all those cavalry from the money he borrowed from the Iron Bank?
shouldn't you know the answer to your question if you knew this? You're a book reader, are you not?

Yes, he hired sellswords with the Iron Bank loan.
Old 06-16-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how large was Stannis' forces to completely rout the 100k wildlings, assuming they provided that info somewhere?
Old 06-16-14, 08:47 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
But are you sure that he's dead? We never saw him expire. I actually thought they might have left the parting scene between him & Arya more vague to keep the audience guessing whether she killed him or left him to suffer. However, it is important to see her leave him alive even though her motivation is unclear (is she being merciful or the opposite?). I believe the book was clearer on that point.

A friend that watches the show, but hasn't read the book, asked me about that scene as well and said "why didn't she just kill him as he's on her list." To me, at least what I took away from the show and my memory of the books, I think she wanted him to suffer and felt that leaving him to die would be more a more painful way to die for the pain he inflicted on others. If she simply stabbed him through the heart, he'd have a quick death and, to me, Arya doesn't believe he deserves a quick death.
Old 06-16-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Just out of curiosity, how large was Stannis' forces to completely rout the 100k wildlings, assuming they provided that info somewhere?
1,000 cavalry. The lightly armored, caught by surprise wildlings didn't stand a chance. But most fled once Mance was surrounded.
Old 06-16-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The Hound/Brienne had some beautiful shots that were completed ruined by horrible editing.
Old 06-16-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 506 Posts

Tyrion didn't know Tywin manipulated Shae. In fact no one knows. It is more likely Cersei manipulated Shae. Tywin didn't even know about Jamie and Cersei it is possible he thought he gave Tyrion a chance to prove himself.
Uh, he did know. That's why Tyrion killed Shae and Tywin. Don't you remember when Tyrion walked into the chamber and Shae called out to the person she thought was Tywin? At that moment Tyrion knew that he had been fucked over from the very beginning. Tywin obviously got his claws into Shae way before the trial. That's why she sold him out during the trial.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-16-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 455 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Agreed. Penultimate post by you, sir.
Old 06-16-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Remember Mance said he ordered most of his forces to the east to begin climbing the wall. He said many will die, but they will be over within a day. I think it was a small force that stayed back with Mance.
Old 06-16-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Remember Mance said he ordered most of his forces to the east to begin climbing the wall. He said many will die, but they will be over within a day. I think it was a small force that stayed back with Mance.
I'm pretty sure Mance said he sent 1200 men to climb the wall. I'm sure Stannis' men took care of them quickly. Probably before they even made it to the wall.

As to the size of the army, I don't think it would take more than 20,000 or so to defeat the Wildling army, given they had many strategic advantages (horseback, surprise, formation, etc).
Old 06-16-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 455 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I was really bummed out by
Spoiler:
the lack of LSH

Spoiler:

Old 06-16-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
I'm pretty sure Mance said he sent 1200 men to climb the wall. I'm sure Stannis' men took care of them quickly. Probably before they even made it to the wall.

As to the size of the army, I don't think it would take more than 20,000 or so to defeat the Wildling army, given they had many strategic advantages (horseback, surprise, formation, etc).
I thought he said 400
Old 06-16-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I posted it up above guys, read the entire thread. 1,000 cavalry.
Old 06-16-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
He didn't know Shae slept with Tywin before he went to the room though. And why Tywin over Cersei. Cersei is the reason he was it this situation not Tywin.
Far longer history of Tywin treating him like shit. Shae was the icing on the cake. I think they made any motivation perfectly reasonable on the show.
Old 06-16-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I thought he said 400
I recall it being 400 as well.
Old 06-16-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Yeah, 400.

A couple of quick non-book spoiler questions if someone could answer : I do get that GRRM will do whatever to keep the Stark kids from reuniting, but why didn't The Hound and Arya continue on to the Eyrie after hearing about her aunt's death? I mean they'd come all that way, why not ask if she had remarried or if there were a cousin at the site (and it's a "yes" to both those questions)? Surely someone there might have taken charge of her. Besides, what was their plan B? If nothing else, resting and bathing at the Eyrie would have made sense after the trip.

Speaking of the Stark kids, where have Rincon and Osha been all season? Hiding out in the windmill still?
Old 06-16-14, 09:45 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Decker,

Minor book spoiler...

Spoiler:
In the books the Hound and Arya never go to the Eyrie, so you know as much as we do.
Old 06-16-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Fair enough. Thanks Groucho. Guess I took an unfair shot at GRRM there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.