DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Legend of Korra, Book 3: Change (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620613-legend-korra-book-3-change.html)

RocShemp 06-13-14 12:21 AM

The Legend of Korra, Book 3: Change

Here's hoping it's more consistent than season 2.

‘The Legend of Korra’ Season 3 Trailer: Change is Coming

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A0UBbzeFc74?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last week, The Legend of Korra co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino announced on his Tumblr that the final sound mix for the show’s third season, Book 3: Change, was finished. Only a few days later, several episodes of the new season were leaked by Nickelodeon’s Spanish-language affiliate in Mexico — both DiMartino and fellow co-creator Bryan Konietzko responded to the leak on Tumblr — which were circulated by fans around the web and used to create a trailer, albeit fan-made, for The Legend of Korra season 3.

Following on the heels of the convincingly-real fan trailer that has since been taken down from YouTube, Nickelodeon released an official trailer for Book 3 - teasing new characters and new locations as well as some surprisingly familiar faces. Although the official trailer for Book 3 clocks in at about two-minutes long, without any dialogue whatsoever, it provides more than enough footage to whet the appetite of fans and keep them guessing, theorizing, and anticipating a season that doesn’t even have a release date yet.

Among the returning characters are, of course, Team Avatar — consisting of Korra, Asami, Mako, and Bolin — as well as Tenzin, his family, and Lin Beifong. The most surprising returning character to make an appearance though, is the well-known scarred face of Zuko, the prince of the Fire Nation and main character in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content...eam-Avatar.jpg

In addition to these familiar faces, there are plenty of new characters in the trailer including two who are prominently featured: a young airbender boy and a woman with similar facial markings to the assassin from Avatar: The Last Airbender known as Combustion Man (or Sparky Sparky Boom Man to some) — though she uses her hands to firebend rather than her forehead.

But, it wouldn’t be a Legend of Korra trailer without new action sequences — although how they’ll live up to those in Book 2’s finale is hard to believe — as well as new locations. The show has wholly exited the spirit world and seems to be exploring lands outside of Republic City and the South Pole. At least three unrecognizable cities were teased in the trailer: one in a desert, one in a green valley, and one that could be Ba Sing Se or another Earth Kingdom city that may or may not have been introduced in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content...ok-3-Korra.jpg

Though very little about the plot of Book 3 can be gleaned from this trailer, we can at least assume Korra and the rest of Team Avatar will be given a task that takes them on an adventure all around the world given the these new locales.

In past seasons, The Legend of Korra has often dealt with political turmoil within the world: Book 1 focused on the struggle between benders and non-benders in Republic City while Book 2 concentrated on the long-standing tension between the Northern and Southern Water Tribes. Perhaps Book 3 will tackle more extensive and international political strife – one that requires the aid of Zuko.

Whether or not the story of Book 3 follows in the political conflict vein, the season is bound to be action packed and as exciting, if not more so, as Book 1 and Book 2. Creator DiMartino, when he announced the sound mix had been finished, even called it the best season of The Legend of Korra yet.

Jackskeleton 06-13-14 03:09 AM

Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 3: Change

With the better art studio, this should be a lot better and more consistent.

Goldberg74 06-13-14 07:09 AM

No start date yet. :(

Goldberg74 06-21-14 08:34 AM

Episodes begin Friday, June 27th!!!!

RocShemp 06-22-14 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 12145924)
Episodes begin Friday, June 27th!!!!

:banana:

Cellar Door 06-29-14 02:11 PM

The first three episodes aired Friday night--anyone watch?

I liked them. An interesting development with the new Air Benders as a result of Korra uniting the physical and spirit worlds. The street kid they picked up is a total cliche, but we'll see how it plays out. The four prisoners--each apparently a master of one of the types of bending--could be a good match for Korra.

Looks like we'll be spending some time in the Earth Kingdom. Is Toph still alive? I know the Republic City police chief is her daughter.

RocShemp 06-29-14 05:40 PM

I forgot to watch and have been checking Amazon prime and the Nickelodeon website to see if either of them has them up to watch.

Raul3 06-29-14 06:16 PM

It was a great start. I know that most posters in this forum like to criticize the show, but keep watching, so I don't know if most will agree. :)

There's a great io9 recap too. Google it.

How many episodes are in the season?

hanshotfirst1138 06-29-14 06:44 PM

I don't like watching the show just to criticize it. I WANT it to be good. I thought the first season as pretty damn good, and that the second season improved in its last arc.

RocShemp 06-29-14 08:17 PM

Loved season one. Season two had some great moments but the overall season was very uneven. They definitely made great strides to correct that towards the last few episodes. I'm hoping the third season matches or exceeds the quality of the first season.

Thrush 06-30-14 02:21 AM

Fantastic start to what is hopefully a return to form after S2 which was all over the place.

Jackskeleton 06-30-14 04:10 AM

Zuko and the mother fucking dragon was straight up boss.

Canis Firebrand 06-30-14 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 12153958)
Zuko and the mother fucking dragon was straight up boss.

I thought that was a great part. I was not expecing Zuko at all.. then to see him climb on the dragon was great.

I watched the three episodes and though it was a great start to the season. Interesting development with the prisoners that are a master of one element each.

Cellar Door 07-05-14 08:16 PM

Bummer, no new episode this week.

RocShemp 07-05-14 11:27 PM

Is any service streaming the first three episodes yet?

Thrush 07-06-14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 12159965)
Bummer, no new episode this week.

Why burn off three eps and then air nothing the second week?

Xiroteus 07-07-14 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush (Post 12160335)
Why burn off three eps and then air nothing the second week?

Horrible planning?

Jackskeleton 07-07-14 09:47 AM

Because it's Fourth of July and ratings would be dismal as your audience is blowing up a little piece of America?

You get two episodes each week after this one break, so chillax, homie.

hanshotfirst1138 07-09-14 10:15 AM

So they started using a new animation studio this season? You know Nick, just once, I'd like to actually be able to READ the credits and know who the animation studios and storyboard artists are. That's Azula, isn't it?

Jackskeleton 07-09-14 04:12 PM

They're using the original animation department from season 1.

hanshotfirst1138 07-09-14 04:30 PM

Why'd they switch for season two? Did they outsource some stuff to the overseas studio?

Jackskeleton 07-09-14 07:36 PM

They had to use both studios for season 2 because of the scheduling. So basically the first half of the season has the really shitty looking studio and then it gets back in good form come the Avatar Wan episodes on (minus one episode)

hanshotfirst1138 07-09-14 08:41 PM

Like I said, they run the goddamn credits so small I wouldn't have known which studio did what. I do remember the early animation being rougher in season two; I'm assuming that the second studio was more low-end (ie cheaper)?. I figured it must be a financial reason of some kind. I wonder if the audience for this is largely older or if they're still trying to aim it at kids? You'd think they wouldn't burn off so many episodes so quickly with two and three at a time to stretch things out.

hanshotfirst1138 07-11-14 10:35 PM

Hats off to the character designer here, I could tell almost immediately that Lin and the Metal woman were sisters thanks to their similar designs, and the daughter genuinely looks like she has a family resemblance. It's really impressive. The animation department deserves praise too, her delicate movements, naivety, and sense of pain were really well-conveyed. Nice that Genora actually gets to use her Spirit World powers for a usefully narrative purpose. So, Toph, Zuko, and Katara are all still alive? Wonder if Sokka is, there was a brief reference to him. The Waterbender who's arms seem to be made entirely out of liquid is kind of an odd effect. Lin is being a bitch, but I like the handling of the domestic drama here much better than last season. Nice to see Bolin when he's fighting, it's a reminder that when he doesn't act like a moron, he can be useful. Wonder what that evil Airbender wanted at the Temple? He and Tenzin will throw down too, methinks. Nice to see that even in his advanced age, Zuko can still throw down if need be. Still think that even though they're integrated fluidly, I can't help but think that the CG sticks out from time to time.

"I actually hired someone to kill the old Avatar who could do that. It, uh, didn't work." LOL

Why can Korra still enter the Avatar State if her connection to her past lives is severed? I thought that's what that was.

Cellar Door 07-12-14 02:43 AM

The first episode was okay but kinda by-the-numbers, with the Queen's earth benders not putting up much of a fight against Team Avatar. I was surprised that plot line was wrapped up so quickly, though there may yet be consequences of pissing off the queen.

I really liked the second episode. The metal benders' city is a nice addition to the Avatar universe. That's one of the things I love most about these series--the imaginative world-building.

So, this new girl Opal is being paired up with Bolin. I hope Eska really has let him go or there will be trouble.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12166250)
Why can Korra still enter the Avatar State if her connection to her past lives is severed?

Korra bonded directly with Raava after freeing her from Vaatu. She basically started the whole Avatar cycle over again from scratch.