Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Legend of Korra, Book 3: Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 3: Change

Am I wrong in thinking shows make more money on the air even with bad ratings than they can on iTunes and other pay services. I'm mean most shows already have an online option don't they? IMO, the only way it could survive online is if it gets sold to amazon prime or netflix where fans could actually follow the series. I love it but I'm not paying to watch each episode individually. The sad thing is the show was really opened up new avenues and seemed like it could actually go on beyond a fourth season.
Old 08-02-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So paying my cable provided is not enough? I now have to pay for individual episodes jammed with DRM? Um, not thinking so. Might pick up the Blu when it comes out, I really bend over backwards to pay for content, but not for individual episodes, and frankly, it's a little insulting. Don't think so. If it goes up on Netflix, I'm all over that. But I'm not signing up for a whole new streaming service just to watch six episodes of this.
Old 08-03-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cannot wait for the baby jamie lynn spears had with dan schneider to grow up and become president of Nik. THEN things will be handled professionally over there.
Old 08-03-14, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
When they said online they didn't mean in the website exclusively. Right?

I expect them to be available in iTunes and all those sites.
Not iTunes. They have a deal exclusively with Amazon.
Old 08-03-14, 09:54 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

We have the Nick app on our iPad so the kids watched it on the big TV using the AppleTV. There were two commercial breaks, but they didn't mind.

I still think it's a cheap move on Nickelodeon's part.
Old 08-03-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the new, online only, episode available now?
Old 08-03-14, 02:43 PM

when i tried to click on Stakeout episode directly from main page to watch, it kicked me to an uh uh not here page. i had to "open link in new window" it to be able to watch. combined with inability to rewind and frequent page crashes it was a pretty unpleasant way to watch a show i really enjoy.
Old 08-03-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So they're showing it on their website where very few people watch instead of on tv where they have a big following? They could've at least made a deal with Amazon to put it up on Prime like Under the Dome and Extant.
Old 08-06-14, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Janet Varney is the guest is the this week's episode of my "TV Guidance Counselor" podcast this week. There's some talk about Korra, if you are a fan and want to check it out
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...st/id821665905
Old 08-06-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got a minute into "The Stakeout" on my PC, and it has quite possibly bar none the worst video quality I've ever seen. How special.
Old 08-10-14, 02:26 PM

on av club they were bellyaching about Rollins' wooden delivery. on every spoken word cd i have of him he sounds like that. i think that is his reading voice, rather than an acting choice.

i think some of these action scenes rival anything i have seen in "movers".

Spoiler:
holy christ to killing the queen via asphyxiation. i was almost unsure they actually, as the kids say, went there. being unfamiliar with the avatar stuff, have they ever offed someone before?
Old 08-15-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

This most recent episode... The battle between air master vs sort of air master. Jesus. That episode is what I was waiting for a long time with Legend of Korra and it did not disappoint.

It does say a lot about the writing now that I care more about the air bending nation at risk than the entire world last season.
Old 08-17-14, 02:30 PM

with the original avatar clocking about 66 episodes, why couldn't they keep this going for awhile?
i heard a rumor next year is it for korra. that would suck.
Old 08-17-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

This season is great!

Four seasons is sure better then the talked about original one or even two.
Old 08-17-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I dunno if I should just wait for the BD or watch the remaining episodes online.
Old 08-18-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I believe it was just after season 1 ended that they gave this a 3 seasons (books) renewal and the writers were happy with that being the amount of books they wanted to use to tell their stories.

Be happy that this is even getting that 4th that has already wrapped in voice work and is just getting the animation done right now. Had it been the typical medium, this season would have been the series finale.
Old 08-22-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, not many people watching, I take it from the posting behind myself.

A real shame Nick took this off the air, as the season finale last two episodes were all sorts of amazing. It was some of the best episodes of not only The Legend of Korra, but I'd dare say it was probably up there with the best of the whole Avatar franchise/series.

This season has had real threats and so made up for season 2. The fights were amazingly storyboarded and yeah... there's not much else to say other that WOW.
Old 08-22-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will probably marathon the online only episodes.

Buy them or something. No commercials for me. And I want to be legal.
Old 08-22-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

amazon has them.

OH yeah, and there's this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=dv_dp_ep113
Old 08-23-14, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I believe it was just after season 1 ended that they gave this a 3 seasons (books) renewal and the writers were happy with that being the amount of books they wanted to use to tell their stories.

Be happy that this is even getting that 4th that has already wrapped in voice work and is just getting the animation done right now. Had it been the typical medium, this season would have been the series finale.

I guess no matter how many seasons or episodes, it never feels like it is enough. Maybe I'm just like Prince's mother, she's never satisfied.
Old 08-23-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We're amazingly lucky to be getting the final season at all. I'm sure if it wasn't partially done, we wouldn't be. Only have the two-part finale left. That was some brutal stuff! The Earth Queen got murdered, and that attack on the Air Temple was intense. And they're flirting with some fairly heady political themes too. It's clearer proof were any needed that though this is nominally a Y7-FV kids show, it's obviously skewed considerably older. Awesome to see Iroh again too! RIP Mako . Hopefully this'll do well for "new media distribution," but we'll see. If I know how to support it (apart from buying the discs, obviously) and give it higher ratings online, I certainly would.
Old 08-24-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, Zaheer got more than he bargained for. The storyboard guys really went crazy on turbocharged Korra. That's what happens when you mess with raw, pure, undiluted, untamed, unchecked power. The lightning is back! Checks and balances! Loved the hell out of the choreography here, I haven't seen an action sequence in a feature film this exciting in forever. Didn't realize that was the same VA for Azula, explains why I thought it was her . Didn't know that was Henry Rollings either! After the wobbly second season, this show is finally back on track. We're lucky to be getting that last season, it's probably the last we'll ever see of this universe .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-11-14 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-10-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Book 4: Balance comes out October 3rd on Nick.com with an episode each Friday.

Man, Nick just wants to plow through this as fast as possible and move on, don't they?
Old 09-10-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I don't get it. Were the ratings crap or was the show too expensive to produce?
Old 09-11-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My assumption would be that the ratings were the issue, though obviously, I don't really know how the cost of the production compares to other Nick shows. I think the show is slightly in flux audience-wise in the sense that most viewers are probably a little older, but Nick doesn't necessarily have a portion of the station which skews older except maybe the nighttime block, and since this is a "cartoon," they don't have an Adult Swim type thing, they probably aren't sure where to put it. How do they lot ratings online? Is there a way of measuring success by how many people stream it and see the ads. Or are they just trying to dump the whole thing as quickly as possible? I'm surprised they already season four ready to go, to be honest.

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Book 4: Balance comes out October 3rd on Nick.com with an episode each Friday. Man, Nick just wants to plow through this as fast as possible and move on, don't they?
Great. Nick.com. Super high-quality .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.