DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chasing Life: Series Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620592-chasing-life-series-thread.html)

PhantomStranger 06-11-14 08:38 PM

Chasing Life: Series Thread

http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/chasing-life

The new ABC Family Show that runs after Pretty Little Liars.

Chasing Life follows twenty-something April (Italia Ricci), a smart and quick-witted aspiring journalist, who is trying to work her way up the ladder at a Boston newspaper by trying to impress her hard-nosed editor. When not pursuing the latest scoop, April tries to balance her ambitious career with her family – her widowed mom Sara, rebellious little sister Brenna and her grandmother. Just as things start to look up at work, home and on the romance front with co-worker Dominic, April gets the devastating news from an estranged uncle that she has cancer.

DJariya 06-12-14 12:10 AM

Re: Chasing Life: Season One thread

I didn't do a thread for this show because IMO the subject matter probably doesn't interest the majority of this forum. But hell, I'll chime in since Phantomstranger started this thread.

I did watch the Pilot and I thought it was very watchable. Very odd pairing with PLL. Also noticed that this got a 20 episode order right off the bat. For the most part, young adult dramas like this & Switched at Birth appeal to me so that's why I checked it out. Well written and directed and a good performance by Italia Ricci. She reminds me of a young Paget Brewster. The subject matter is really a downer. Young, vibrant 20-something girl with her whole life ahead of her and then she gets diagnosed with cancer. Looks like Steven Weber is doing double duty. He's playing April's Uncle and he's also a regular on Murder in the First on TNT.

:lol: at the ending with April coincidentally meeting an unknown half sister at her Dad's gravesite. That was a little bit contrived. Hmmm, maybe she'll be the one to donate the bone marrow? :D

PhantomStranger 06-12-14 01:18 AM

Considering the subject matter and intended demographic focus, I thought it was a very strong pilot with a great lead performance by Ricci. I got a strong Alyssa Milano vibe from Italia, before Alyssa became a bad girl. She appears to be the right choice in the lead role. The male cast members did not leave much of an impression but on a show of this nature, they are little more than props.

The contrived ending was likely a last-minute addition to spice up the pilot.

writer106 06-15-14 11:21 PM

I DVR'd this show and watched it earlier tonight. I thought it was decent and I also hated the contrived ending with the half sister showing up at the grave. I'm almost predicting that it will be revealed that the mom knew about the half-sister and kept it a secret. The premise of the show reminds me a bit of the movie 50/50. I'll keep tuning in to see if it improves.

PhantomStranger 06-19-14 03:22 PM

The second episode has aired, if anyone is paying attention. The second episode was less impressive, closer to the standard ABC Family formula. The storyline with the teen sister could quickly prove annoying.

The only likable male character is April's Indian co-worker, though he looks to be there for comedic relief.

DJariya 06-19-14 04:02 PM

April's sister is already annoying. Especially with the whole cell phone thing in this episode.

I was actually annoyed by April in this episode. Brushing off a bone marrow biopsy when being diagnosed with Leukemia is stupid. I actually sided more with her uncle. I don't think they wrote the follow up to the half sister plot really well. It was a poorly written scene.

I know this is a 20 episode drama and not a 2 hour Lifetime movie of the week, so they can't really rush April getting the treatment and telling her family yet.

PhantomStranger 06-26-14 08:43 PM

This third episode was the best one by far, featuring much sharper writing and better acting. They dropped another surprise at the end, it's fairly transparent which guy April will eventually date in the future.

writer106 06-26-14 09:21 PM

I got up earlier today on episodes 2 and 3. Episode 3 was much better than episode 2. Out of the supporting characters, I think the friend is the most likable one. The grandma seems ok. The mom and sister are a bit annoying and I hope the whole thing with the family being pissed at the uncle gets resolved soon.

DJariya 06-27-14 12:09 AM

Much better than last week. Italia Ricci is definitely the highlight of this series. I'm wondering how long April will keep the cancer secret from her mother. The symptoms are going to keep showing up like bleeding and eventually fatigue. I hope they don't drag it out too long.

I too was surprised by the ending. The cancer will definitely connect them.

DJariya 07-08-14 11:15 PM

:thumbsup: Really solid episode with some good acting by everyone.

Glad that George finally pushed for April to disclose her illness. The intervention scene was pretty emotional. I have to credit Italia Ricci, she really sold that scene.

Seems to me they are hinting at a possible same sex relationship between April's sister and the blonde tennis player.

writer106 07-12-14 04:33 PM

I just got watched the latest episode, I agree good acting by everyone. The only minor character I can't stand is the politician's son with the brain tumor. He is annoying. It looks like the half sister storyline will be dragged out a little longer until the need comes up.

PhantomStranger 07-12-14 09:55 PM

So April's boyfriend has a mother in prison. That has to be a future plot wrinkle when she makes an appearance.

writer106 07-20-14 11:02 PM

I watched the last episode earlier tonight, the mom Sara is back to be the annoying overbearing mother. I get that she is concerned for her daughter, she needs to tone it down. I still don't care for Leo, but I felt bad for them. The actor playing him doesn't come off as likable. The sister is starting to become more likable.

PhantomStranger 07-21-14 12:02 AM

I understand ABC Family has a target demo to pander to in their shows, but the teen sister and storylines revolving around her need to get cut or de-emphasized. I like April and her Australian friend, they need to dial down the mother going crazy about April's cancer a bit.

I hadn't much liked Leo before the latest episode but I thought it was probably the best episode of the series to date.

writer106 08-03-14 07:23 PM

Just watched the last episode and I liked it. I like that the sisters meetings was tense. Leo has grown on me and I liked opening scene with April and the grandma's friends. I still find the mother and uncle annoying.

writer106 08-08-14 07:36 AM

I enjoyed the last episode. I like how Beth unintentionally revealed April's secret to Raquel. I was kind of surprised that they showed Dominic reading the article at the end.

DJariya 08-14-14 05:18 PM

Just watched the midseason finale. Really good stuff. April coming to terms with her own mortality and the visits from her Dad were really moving. I think this is one of ABC Family's strongest new dramas. Hopefully the second half of the season keeps it up. Italia Ricci I think is one of the best new young actresses. Great find by them. Leo is growing on me over Dom. Wonder what the big cliffhanger is with Leo.

For those unaware, her significant other is actually Robbie Amell.

Looks like the second half of the season airs during the Holidays.

PhantomStranger 08-15-14 01:46 PM

I'm hanging around because of April, the show works so much better when the storylines revolve around her. The stuff with the teen sister is embarrassing considering they've handled the serious cancer arc about as well as it can be done.

My guess about Leo...

Spoiler:
He's taken the option of that radical surgical procedure to cure himself and will miraculously survive his brain cancer. April and him eventually start dating.

DJariya 11-06-14 01:46 PM

http://tvline.com/2014/11/06/chasing...-2-abc-family/

Renewed for a 13 episode 2nd season

:thumbsup:

Big surprise from the summer. The show really resonated with me, especially on a personal level (a family member is going through a similar issue as April) I'm looking forward to the 2nd half of the season.

PhantomStranger 11-06-14 01:49 PM

Leo is on Once Upon A Time now. I wonder how his role there will affect his status.

Gizmo 11-09-14 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12293645)
Leo is on Once Upon A Time now. I wonder how his role there will affect his status.

He's only a gust star on Once.

writer106 01-21-15 07:33 PM

I watched winter premiere episode earlier today. Good start to the season and some things are a bit predictable.

PhantomStranger 01-21-15 10:01 PM

So I guess it's inevitable that April needs the bone marrow from her half-sister. They've also taken an interesting tact with her ex-boyfriend at work.

Jadzia 01-22-15 07:53 AM

Glad this show is back - I like it.

I keep thinking the lead actress is Shiri Appleby and that the co-worker boyfriend guy is Jesse Bradford.

DJariya 01-25-15 12:42 AM

:thumbsup: Good start to the 2nd half of the season.

It was inevitable that April's half sister would come back into the story for a potential bone marrow donation.

I don't know if Italia Ricci really buzzed her hair, but if she did, she's a real pro for doing it. I liked April's speech about George and crediting him for saving her life. That was nicely done.

I'm really surprised that Steven Weber is still part of this show with all the work he's getting. He's on this show, Helix and was on Murder in the First last summer.