DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Unaired episodes of Cancelled shows, why not just put them in iTunes ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620553-unaired-episodes-cancelled-shows-why-not-just-put-them-itunes.html)

Original Desmond 06-10-14 08:19 AM

Unaired episodes of Cancelled shows, why not just put them in iTunes ?

Friends with Better lives and Bad teacher and two shows i would like to see the remaining unaired episodes

Why don't the networks just make them available online ?

It's better some money for them than none

bluetoast 06-10-14 08:33 AM

Re: Unaired episodes of Cancelled shows, why not just put them in iTunes ?

I agree, if it's not worth it to put on DVD, online would be a good bet, iTunes, Hulu, Amazon. Plus they could get information as to what is popular.

story 06-10-14 09:39 AM

Makes sense to me. The only two things I can think of that would hold them back is 1. some sort of rights issue to get it out there and get it out there cheap, or 2. some sort of weariness of putting out what they'd consider a "sub-par" product 'cause if it was cancelled surely it couldn't find a second or third life with a new audience in this "new" internet thingie...

movieking 06-10-14 09:43 AM

I doubt that I'd pay for each episode, but putting it on Netflix like Clone Wars makes sense.

dan30oly 06-10-14 10:26 AM

They better release the remaining eps of Bad Teacher!!!!1

Original Desmond 06-10-14 03:17 PM

yeah Bad Teacher was way better than i expected

Jackskeleton 06-10-14 03:27 PM

I'm still waiting for that third episode of Lone Star to show up somewhere.

writer106 06-10-14 04:23 PM

I was another person who liked Bad Teacher. ABC put unaired remaining of the episodes of the short lived show My Generation online for awhile.

VHS? 06-10-14 05:59 PM

If episodes are already finished, why not. You already paid, you're not getting anything from it not airing anymore, so just do it.

~~ PAL ~~ 06-11-14 12:06 AM

I suspect it's more of an ego thing. Eventually, someone is gonna shoulder the blame for picking up/going with said failed show, most likely some network exec. Rather than dragging out the further humiliation of greenliting that cancelled show, they just bury it to save face.

Michael Corvin 06-11-14 01:09 AM

Streaming still costs on their end. What advertiser wants to pony up for ads on an already canceled show to cover the cost of bandwidth?

Netflix or Amazon are probably the only avenues since a show would be part of the service and not individual views like the show's website.

Jackskeleton 06-11-14 01:25 AM

You don't think that people will be hankering to see the remains of a show? Advertisers are not the issue since you have people who actually liked the canceled shows and you can easily run off the fumes of "Hey, check out this canceled shows unaired episodes"

Hulu seems to make the most sense.

DJariya 06-11-14 01:39 AM

Even if the show is cancelled, there are other fees to take into consideration that would prevent it from airing even via streaming. Some shows get all their remaining episodes out, but a lot don't.

1) Music licensing costs
2) Actor residuals. SAG and the actors get a cut of anything that airs outside the window of broadcast. Streaming, DVD, Cable, ITunes all fall in that realm. Someone has to cough up that money.
3) Writer and Producer residuals. Do you think the network wants to pay the writers and producers residuals for shit that was cancelled? They would rather cut their losses with just the production costs.

Yes, the physical production costs are already paid for, but there are other fees that prevent a lot of unaired episodes from seeing the light of day.

ben12 06-11-14 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 12134998)
You don't think that people will be hankering to see the remains of a show? Advertisers are not the issue since you have people who actually liked the canceled shows and you can easily run off the fumes of "Hey, check out this canceled shows unaired episodes"

Hulu seems to make the most sense.

But that would be fewer people than watched the show on TV, which was already a low number. Advertisers want eyes, and there may not be enough of them for a cancelled show.

PhantomStranger 06-11-14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12135000)
Even if the show is cancelled, there are other fees to take into consideration that would prevent it from airing even via streaming. Some shows get all their remaining episodes out, but a lot don't.

1) Music licensing costs
2) Actor residuals. SAG and the actors get a cut of anything that airs outside the window of broadcast. Streaming, DVD, Cable, ITunes all fall in that realm. Someone has to cough up that money.
3) Writer and Producer residuals. Do you think the network wants to pay the writers and producers residuals for shit that was cancelled? They would rather cut their losses with just the production costs.

Yes, the physical production costs are already paid for, but there are other fees that prevent a lot of unaired episodes from seeing the light of day.

Those are the real reasons why shows disappear. No one wants to pay out residuals for a dead show.

RichC2 06-11-14 03:13 PM

I've already given up on TV so I do most of my watching on Hulu. You never know it might still catch on, it just needs to find the right viewers.

davidh777 06-11-14 03:51 PM

So why do some shows do a Saturday-night burnoff? That would sound like a contractual obligation since there are going to be no eyes on it other than someone's DVR set months earlier.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-11-14 04:26 PM

Or put them on Directv on Demand

Jay G. 06-18-14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12134993)
Streaming still costs on their end. What advertiser wants to pony up for ads on an already canceled show to cover the cost of bandwidth?

While that makes sense for not doing a burnoff run on Saturday night, where advertisers pay upfront in the hopes of reaching a certain number of viewers, it makes less sense for streaming, where advertisers are paying per view. If you're paying so many cents per view, it doesn't really matter what show the viewer is watching, as long as they're in the right demographic.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12135000)
Even if the show is cancelled, there are other fees to take into consideration that would prevent it from airing even via streaming...

1) Music licensing costs

This is an issue with older shows, where "new media" wasn't factored into the contract, but not really for most new shows.

As for residuals, those costs should be based on the revenue the show brings in. So putting it up for sale on iTunes doesn't cost anything upfront, and the percentage per sale that goes to actors/writers/producers/musicians/etc should be the same regardless of volume sold.

One thing that may keep unaired episodes from appearing, at least for a time, is the amount of network exclusivity. There may be rules in the contract stipulating that the network has to air the episode before it can be sold online, and the network may have a certain window in order to exercise those broadcast rights, even after a show has been cancelled.

In regards to Netflix, one thing that may keep it off is just perceived value. Netflix only has so much money to spend on content, and since viewing is unlimited for the customer, they want to optimize their budget to shows that they think a large number of customers will watch.

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12135850)
So why do some shows do a Saturday-night burnoff? That would sound like a contractual obligation since there are going to be no eyes on it other than someone's DVR set months earlier.

It could be contractual obligation; I remember the show 60 on the Sunset Strip had a contract that every episode would air, leading to a burnoff. The other factor though is that the network has to air something on a Saturday night, and they've already paid for the episodes, so if they feel the episodes will at least give as good a ratings as anything else they could run, they may air them.

Jay G. 06-18-14 02:47 PM

For reference, here's what happened to one show that was cancelled last year with several unaired episodes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_and_Kate#Cancellation

On January 25, [2013] Fox confirmed that the show had been cancelled... FOX stated that the completed three episodes would air in the future, though they did not give a date. As of October 2013, they have not aired but have been posted on online services such as iTunes and Amazon.com.
So I would expect the shows Friends with Better lives and Bad Teacher to have the unaired episodes pop up available for sale online sometime this fall, after the Network's broadcast rights have expired.