Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Watchers on the Wall" -- 6/8/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Watchers on the Wall" -- 6/8/14

I love the generalizations anytime someone doesn't care for an episode You only want blood and gore! You only want nudity! You only want to see Tyrion!

At least it's come around to only wanting tits and deaths to wanting political intrigue.
Old 06-09-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you the one thing that actually DOES bother me about the scenes at the Wall... why doesn't anyone wear a fucking hat?! There was a shot with Jon and Sam standing on the Wall and the wind is whipping their faces and they were all shivery and all I could think about was how cold their ears must be and how ludicrous it was that they weren't wearing head protection.
Old 06-09-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

True, but it's probably for the purposes of recognizing characters. Tom Hanks was talking about Band of Brothers and was saying that everything was realistic except for the soldiers not wearing helmets, so that the audience could recognize who they are. Not that Jon and Sam are hard to tell apart, but that'd be my guess.
Old 06-09-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoyed the episode. On a technical level, it was brilliant. Neil Marshall did an amazing job at keeping the battle coherent while also making it very thrilling to watch.

However, like some others have said, the Wall storyline has never particularly interested me. I blame a lot of this on Kit Harington, who is an average actor at best, although I admit he is improved this season. You can have all the amazing action you want, but it ultimately comes down to the acting.

Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, NCW, Charles Dance et al >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kit Harington

And I get it. What happens up in the frigid north will have great bearing on the southern lands. I fully expect the end of the series to have some sort of titanic clash between the White Walkers, the Wildlings, the Human armies, and Dany's dragons. But for now, the political intrigue in King's Landing is superior to everything else.
Old 06-10-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Book reader here and loved the episode. One of the most epic episodes of television ever. Better than most Hollywood movies that depict battles.

My wife just started watching the series so I've been half watching from the beginning again and some of those early episodes are so boring and dull by comparison. They have come so far that it's tough to watch where they started.
Old 06-10-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
True, but it's probably for the purposes of recognizing characters. Tom Hanks was talking about Band of Brothers and was saying that everything was realistic except for the soldiers not wearing helmets, so that the audience could recognize who they are. Not that Jon and Sam are hard to tell apart, but that'd be my guess.
They could solve it the way Black Hawk Down did, and write the characters' names on their helmet...
Old 06-10-14, 02:05 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
They could solve it the way Black Hawk Down did, and write the characters' names on their helmet...
With sharpies that I am sure everyone had in Westeros?
Old 06-10-14, 09:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My favorite episode of the series so far. One that I'll put on just to re-watch for fun.

I liked it better than Blackwater because no Cersei, Shae, or Joffrey. Sam wasn't as annoying as he usually is and the actor playing Jon is much better at playing leader Jon than clueless Jon.
Old 06-10-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Listening to A Cast of Kings Podcast:

http://www.slashfilm.com/cast-kings-...l/#more-237684

2 reviewers: one is a book reader, Vanity Fair's Joanna Robinson, and the other is a non-book reader Dave Chen of Slashfilm.

Joanna says that she might have not liked the episode as a book reader because she knew the 'outcome' of the battle, so the stakes were different for her.
Old 06-10-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Listening to A Cast of Kings Podcast:

http://www.slashfilm.com/cast-kings-...l/#more-237684

2 reviewers: one is a book reader, Vanity Fair's Joanna Robinson, and the other is a non-book reader Dave Chen of Slashfilm.

Joanna says that she might have not liked the episode as a book reader because she knew the 'outcome' of the battle, so the stakes were different for her.
Couldn't that be said about most of the storylines, for those that have read the books?
Old 06-10-14, 10:33 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by andicus
Couldn't that be said about most of the storylines, for those that have read the books?
Seriously.. In other news, Water is wet, fire is hot, and the sky is blue.
Old 06-10-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I enjoyed this episode, but I have to agree with those saying that it fell a little flat due to lack of investment in the characters/plot involved. Anyone saying that the level of investment shouldn't affect the enjoyment of this episode is crazy. To me, that's the ONLY thing that matters. That said, it was obviously an important moment for Jon (who I like) and it was nice to see some character progress for Sam, Alliser (I assume he's dead?) and Slynt. I think the fact that the entire episode was focused on this story helped in that regard and it's a strategy I hope they revisit from time to time. I always liked Ygritte, but I thought the impact of her death was muted a bit since we've barely seen her this year. Oh, and the long tracking shot, while nice, unfortunately came right on the heels of the one on True Detective, which I thought blew this one away. Can't blame the show for that though.

Regarding the importance of defending the wall, the way I see it is that it's inevitable that the forces beyond the wall (whether it be Wildling or Whitewalker) make it through. I assume that's the ultimate conflict that will decide the fate of Westeros. In that sense, I almost want the Night's Watch to lose so that the story can progress. I don't know if others feel the same way, but that definitely had an affect on any rooting interest I might have had in the characters.
Old 06-10-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'll tell you the one thing that actually DOES bother me about the scenes at the Wall... why doesn't anyone wear a fucking hat?! There was a shot with Jon and Sam standing on the Wall and the wind is whipping their faces and they were all shivery and all I could think about was how cold their ears must be and how ludicrous it was that they weren't wearing head protection.
I can't tell you the number of times I've had exactly the same thought.
Old 06-10-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And full frontal dudity!
Mmm, Mannis. I mean, Melisandre!
Old 06-10-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
True, she said what she loves are the 'character' moments (Discussions), and the fact that she is not as invested with the characters at the Wall, she felt the episode did not work for her, where it worked for Chen (Since he had no clue what was going to happen).
Old 06-10-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I always liked Ygritte, but I thought the impact of her death was muted a bit since we've barely seen her this year.
RIP Ygritte anyway.

kissed by fire, fucked by Snow.
Old 06-11-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I always liked Ygritte, but I thought the impact of her death was muted a bit since we've barely seen her this year.
Yew know nuttin' rocket1312.
Old 06-11-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

holy shit, that was an epic episode. probably one of my most favorite of the series so far.
Old 06-11-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
It's not to tell characters apart, but I always hate this in superhero movies:

Old 06-11-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah we can't see Scarlett's butt in that poster.
Old 06-11-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

What The Flick recap:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qp1_Hqlgr8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(nice WTF spoiler etiquette clip too)

Last edited by dhmac; 06-11-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think Ygritte's final words should've been something like "You know nothin..." and then her words trail off and she dies without finishing it.
Old 06-12-14, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by musick
http://eil.com/images/main/Pat+Benat...ORD-461720.jpg
Old 06-12-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think this one is closer to GoT in look:

Old 06-12-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Intense episode. Awesome battle scenes. Anyone who thought this was boring was fucking smoking crack.

The giant swinging anchor that hacked up those climbers was

Wasn't too surprised with YGritte dying. I think that was inevitable, especially considering she was out for blood with Jon Snow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.