Game of Thrones -- "The Watchers on the Wall" -- 6/8/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Watchers on the Wall" -- 6/8/14

Old 06-09-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Watchers on the Wall" -- 6/8/14

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
They don't have the time to produce more. The producers have said this time and time again. They work on the CGI up until the week each episode airs. While season 4 is airing they are writing the scripts to season 5. They have finished the scripts and are now casting the new characters for season 5. Pre production will start shortly, they film in four different countries, etc. It's just not feasible, at least without seriously compromising the quality of each episode.
I understand why, but it doesn't mean I can't be frustrated about it.

I know it would be too little/too late, but I wish they would chop the giant's head off and send it to King's Landing.
Old 06-09-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 97 Posts

I watched on a big screen with surround sound and it was awesome. Easily the most cinematic episode of television I've ever seen.
Old 06-09-14, 11:16 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It would be interesting to see, of the people who liked this episode vs those who didn't, which of them watched it on a nice big screen with big sound vs on a smaller, or non-HD source with small sound.
I'm not sure what that would change.. If someone doesn't like the stuff at the wall, seeing it on a fancy big screen with surround sound isn't likely to change that opinion.

Again, I did not call the episode dull because of what the episode showed.. In fact, I'm impressed by it and they did do a good job getting the battle translated form the book to the screen. I called it dull because I feel that way about the storyline at the wall in its entirety. There isn't a single character at that location that I care about. They could be replaced with random people from throughout Westeros and it would be the same effect. I don't buy Jon as a leader and I just do not care for that character. That is the reason the episode was dull to me. No matter how much you fancy up a dull story, its still going to be dull. Pretty graphics and scenery don't make up for a storyline that I find boring..

FWIW, I watched on my big screen tv in HD with surround sound and the lights off since pretty much all of the episode was during the night and therefore dark on screen.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 06-09-14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Gilly could have taken a sec to tell Sam and Co. that she snuck by some Wildings on her way to Castle Black.
Old 06-09-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

The one thing this episode could have used is Mance Rayder (Ciaran Hinds) ordering his army on the other side of the wall - having him, even in just one scene, as an antagonist could've gone a long way in giving things more heft. As it was, that attack felt a little random.
Old 06-09-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The one thing this episode could have used is Mance Rayder (Ciaran Hinds) ordering his army on the other side of the wall - having him, even in just one scene, as an antagonist could've gone a long way in giving things more heft. As it was, that attack felt a little random.
I would have liked that. Like I mentioned earlier, correct me if i'm wrong but we've only really seen Mance in a few episodes.
Old 06-09-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One other quick point, my favorite small moment in the episode: the kid smiling at Jon after putting an arrow through Ygritte's heart. There are so many ways they could have shown this particular scene, this was probably the simplest and best.
Old 06-09-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In believe that they SAID that Ser Allister 'had fallen'. Jon tells Sam at the end that there is no one left to give orders so he's improvising.
Old 06-09-14, 12:08 PM

LOL @ Screen Size being a contributing factor whether you liked this episode or not.

I only have a 46" HDTV. It is smaller then what many of you have so that must be why I thought it was an "ok" episode.
Old 06-09-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
This is arguably one of the most important themes of the show: while the Seven Kingdoms squabble, huge threats are building around the borders. These threats have the scope to destroy the all of the Kingdoms and yet no one takes them seriously. The White Walkers are not to be fucked with. Dragons are not to be fucked with. The fact that the Seven Kingdoms have allowed the Night's Watch to degrade from the most elite fighting force in the land to a Gulag shows how the Seven Kingdoms have forgotten their past and forgotten about Winter. Perhaps the show hasn't made any of this clear enough.
Nobody believes that old history actually happened. Look at slynt when he was given command on top of the wall, he's up there looking down at a giant and a mammoth, saying 'there are no giants, they don't exist' or something like that. Even tyrion, way back in season 1, who we know is an avid reader of the kingdoms history, doesn't believe there is anything more dangerous beyond the wall besides the wildlings.
Old 06-09-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought this episode was great. Mammoths, giants, Sam crossbowing a dude in the face. What's not to like? Oh, and that giant scythe was BADASS.

Sad that Jon's friend fell defending the gate, but you can't get out of an ep like that with no casualties.

Only small bummer was that nothing in King's Landing was addressed. Hope we get some resolution next week!
Old 06-09-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thebunk View Post
LOL @ Screen Size being a contributing factor whether you liked this episode or not.

I only have a 46" HDTV. It is smaller then what many of you have so that must be why I thought it was an "ok" episode.
It seems that the posters with the biggest dicks enjoyed this episode more than the others.
Old 06-09-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems that the posters with the biggest dicks enjoyed this episode more than the others.
Poor Theon
Old 06-09-14, 12:49 PM
Banned

Blackwater was tedious to read imo but made for one of the show's very best episodes. By contrast this NW battle was exciting on the page but I'm left very underwhelmed with this episode overall. When the giants and mammoth were knocking at the gate trying to tear it off why didn't they unleash all their barrels and arrows then? There were numerous moments in the episode where everyone seemed to be waiting for some opportune moment to attack that never came. There was little sense of strategy in this battle.

With some retooling in the editing room this battle could've been episode 8 and the Mountain/Viper duel should've been saved for Episode 9 leading straight into the Finale.

--
Old 06-09-14, 12:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

And of course amount of episode enjoyment is directly proportional to the viewer's annual income.
Old 06-09-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the haters couldn't enjoy the episode because they were too busy stressing about bills.
Old 06-09-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
Blackwater was tedious to read imo but made for one of the show's very best episodes. By contrast this NW battle was exciting on the page but I'm left very underwhelmed with this episode overall. When the giants and mammoth were knocking at the gate trying to tear it off why didn't they unleash all their barrels and arrows then? There were numerous moments in the episode where everyone seemed to be waiting for some opportune moment to attack that never came. There was little sense of strategy in this battle.--
I think that was sorta the point. They kept changing commanders, they started to fall apart, they got hit in the place they didn't expect, half of them were not trained for shit... it was a clusterfuck.
Old 06-09-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't realize I was poor and had a small penis until I watched Game of Thrones
Old 06-09-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

As a book reader, i can't believe anyone would find this episode boring. Pages came alive and everyone did an amazing job. I think the show has done enough at this point to set up why the wall was established, why it was manned, and why it has become a joke throughout the ages. If you don't understand, a refreshing of the series is in order.

I still think this whole series is going to come down to the dragons and the white walkers.
Old 06-09-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cannot believe SOA gets 600 mins an episode to tell some bullshit story, and this only got about 50.

Watching The Red Minge dodge fire arrows by weaving out of the way and then shooting her own was amazing, especially with the over the shoulder shots.

i can understand some feeling the story part might be boring, but the actual action was amazing. the only cooler shot than bronn at blackwater shooting a flaming arrow to light things up, was a giant hitting his mark uphill, both ways, in a snowstorm, with his feet wrapped in newspaper (because his broke wild ass couldn't afford shoes).

i guess the additional stuff from the book will be coming in the finale and it will be a real

Spoiler:
Old 06-09-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Old 06-09-14, 02:04 PM

Love the show. But there is this thing how the 2nd to last episode of the season is the best of the season.

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0944947

This time around, it was not.
Old 06-09-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
Blackwater was tedious to read imo but made for one of the show's very best episodes. By contrast this NW battle was exciting on the page but I'm left very underwhelmed with this episode overall. When the giants and mammoth were knocking at the gate trying to tear it off why didn't they unleash all their barrels and arrows then? There were numerous moments in the episode where everyone seemed to be waiting for some opportune moment to attack that never came. There was little sense of strategy in this battle.

With some retooling in the editing room this battle could've been episode 8 and the Mountain/Viper duel should've been saved for Episode 9 leading straight into the Finale.

--
the Night's Watch has now been reduced to rapists, thieves and criminals along with greenhands/the old and sons that fell out of favor with their families. Only the very few had battle/military training and they tended to be older. They also lost a lot men and their commander during the previous raid beyond the wall. It was actually amazing they held on and repelled the attack.
Old 06-09-14, 02:59 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
This was probably the most important battle so far in the show. You see if the wall falls a hundred thousands wildlings that include wargs and giants are going to ravage the country and right behind them some unknown number of dead people and whites. There is nothing more important than this battle. Battle by combat, dragons, the search for stark girls, none of that matters if the land is filled with monsters.
This. I don't understand how people, book readers or not, can't understand the ramifications if 100,000 pissed off wildings, giants and cannibals breach the wall and start wrecking havoc on Westeros.

The entire 7 Kingdoms would be fucked because King's Landing is going to fall in one day when the city walls are being attacked by giants and mammoths.

This isn't even counting the WHITE WALKERS that would trickle in after the wildings - the same white walkers that are basically impossible to kill unless you have a weapon made of dragon glass. Every great house in Westeros would be sucking white walker cock if the wall fell so don't give me this shit about not understanding the importance of the battle.
Old 06-09-14, 03:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm sorry that I said anything and kicked everyones puppy.. Damn... all I did was voice an opinion that a few others had similar views as well. So I revise my position, as I apparently am not allowed to have one and must agree with everyone else to be a fan of the show.....

This was the best episode ever!!!!!!!!!!! The Wall rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Night's Watch for Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #TeamSnow

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.