Game of Thrones -- "The Mountain and the Viper" -- 6/1/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Mountain and the Viper" -- 6/1/14

Old 06-05-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Mountain and the Viper" -- 6/1/14

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Thanks, since I'm sure no one could figure out who I was talking about.
The point was to learn the character's names.
Old 06-05-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 188 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
The point was to learn the character's names.
Eh, he's been dead for three seasons. It's not going to keep me up at night.
Old 06-05-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Eh, he's been dead for three seasons. It's not going to keep me up at night.
Dude, this is SERIOUS BUSINESS. Learn that shit right!
Old 06-05-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I'd say Tywin is as pretty close to a "big bad" that this show has. You can certainly make an argument for all of his actions, but there's been little insight into any humanity he may have lurking beneath the surface. He's not a raging psychopath like Joffrey or Ramsay, but it's clear that he will do whatever is necessary to accomplish his goals. I guess you have to respect that to a certain degree, even if it means hurting our heroes.

Cersei is at times the most hateable character on the show, but everything she does is basically in the interest of her children. She's also provided a pretty heartbreaking glimpse at the realities of being being a noblewoman in Westeros. She's become one of the most compelling characters on the show despite being almost completely unlikable.
Agreed. Tywin and Cersei are ruthless and driven to advance themselves and their house at any cost but they're not evil psychopaths who just kill for the hell of it. Tywin would have never have exterminated House Reyne if they hadn't rebelled.

Last edited by Defiant1; 06-05-14 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-05-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the series make it clear that Joffrey ordered the death of the bastards? I always thought it was Cersei who gave the order to insure that another comparison couldn't be made between her kids and Robert's natural born children. Why else do it since they were no threat to the succession? Joffrey didn't know he wasn't Robert's son so he wouldn't have cared.
Old 06-05-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Did the series make it clear that Joffrey ordered the death of the bastards? I always thought it was Cersei who gave the order to insure that another comparison couldn't be made between her kids and Robert's natural born children. Why else do it since they were no threat to the succession? Joffrey didn't know he wasn't Robert's son so he wouldn't have cared.
Having just seen the episodes a few days ago, there's a scene where Tyrion brings it up to Cersei and realizes that she wasn't the one that ordered it. I recall Tyrion mentioning it again later on and attributing it to Joffrey too. I guess it's never stated outright, but it definitely seems to allude that was the case.
Old 06-05-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

They never come out and say it. Tyrion accuses Cersei, then asks her if Joffrey did it. Cersei is just silent, she never confirms or denies either accusation.
Old 06-05-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

One thing Joffrey did do (since it seems unlikely the show will address it now).
Spoiler:
He sent the assassin after Bran when he was in the "coma" thus sending Catelyn south, taking Tyrion hostage, putting Tywin on the battlefiend and ultimately getting Ned killed. It's not like he put that much thought into it though. He was just a little bastard.
Old 06-06-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tywin had Elia and her children killed, yes. But thats because he needed to get in good with King Robert in a very quick fashion, sitting out 90% or the Rebellion. Robert would MOST DEFIANTLY have had them killed, as the children were heirs to the throne, making Robert illegitimate.

Only reason Dany and Vicereys were alive is that they fled Dragonstone before the fall of Kings Landing.
Old 06-06-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
One thing Joffrey did do (since it seems unlikely the show will address it now).
Spoiler:
He sent the assassin after Bran when he was in the "coma" thus sending Catelyn south, taking Tyrion hostage, putting Tywin on the battlefiend and ultimately getting Ned killed. It's not like he put that much thought into it though. He was just a little bastard.
You know, that doesn't make sense.
Spoiler:
What reason would Joffrey have (even if as a sheltered 14 or15 year old kid - younger in the books - he knew how to hire lowlife assassins) for killing Bran. Its not like he knew Bran couldn't wake up and talk. No one but the queen and Jamie should have known. Its not like his mom said, "Your uncle and I were fucking and Bran saw us so we chucked him out a window. Unfortunately he is still alive."
Old 06-06-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Didn't Bran insult him or something before his accident?
Old 06-06-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
What reason would Joffrey have (even if as a sheltered 14 or15 year old kid - younger in the books - he knew how to hire lowlife assassins) for killing Bran. Its not like he knew Bran couldn't wake up and talk. No one but the queen and Jamie should have known. Its not like his mom said, "Your uncle and I were fucking and Bran saw us so we chucked him out a window. Unfortunately he is still alive."
Spoiler:
It had nothing to do with the twincest. Joffrey overheard Robert saying Bran was better off dead than living as a cripple. Robert never gave Joffrey much love or attention, so Joffrey was eager to impress/please his father. All in all, it was a stupid plan, but Joffrey is an idiot, so there you have it.
Old 06-06-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
Tywin had Elia and her children killed, yes. But thats because he needed to get in good with King Robert in a very quick fashion, sitting out 90% or the Rebellion. Robert would MOST DEFIANTLY have had them killed, as the children were heirs to the throne, making Robert illegitimate.

Only reason Dany and Vicereys were alive is that they fled Dragonstone before the fall of Kings Landing.
As only a TV viewer that's what I thought as well. Anyone related to the House Targaryen had to be killed, it was war, and Robert was trying to take over the throne. That's why Robert wanted Daenerys killed when he heard she was alive with child.
Old 06-06-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Spoiler:
It had nothing to do with the twincest. Joffrey overheard Robert saying Bran was better off dead than living as a cripple. Robert never gave Joffrey much love or attention, so Joffrey was eager to impress/please his father. All in all, it was a stupid plan, but Joffrey is an idiot, so there you have it.
I thought it was
Spoiler:
Littlefinger that set that all in motion? I'm not a book reader so I'm obviously wrong. I just thought after the reveal a few eps back that he planned the poisoning of Jon Arryn, it sort of implied he was the one to send the assassin, frame Tyrion, get Ned killed, etc.
Old 06-06-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I thought it was
Spoiler:
Littlefinger that set that all in motion? I'm not a book reader so I'm obviously wrong. I just thought after the reveal a few eps back that he planned the poisoning of Jon Arryn, it sort of implied he was the one to send the assassin, frame Tyrion, get Ned killed, etc.
Spoiler:
Joffrey definitely sent the assassin in the books. The Starks and Lannisters all ready hated each other so Littlefinger just needed to get the ball rolling, knowing they would escalate the situation themselves. Littlefinger had Lysa poison Jon, then send the letter to Cat, implicating the Lannisters. After the assassination attempt Littlefinger seized the opportunity to lie and say that the dagger was Tyrion's, but Littlefinger didn't actually order the hit on Bran. The Joffrey assassin thing isn't revealed until late in the 3rd book. I'm not sure if they're going to touch on it again in the show, but if you haven't read the books you wouldn't really know any of this.
Old 06-06-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Spoiler:
Joffrey definitely sent the assassin in the books. The Starks and Lannisters all ready hated each other so Littlefinger just needed to get the ball rolling, knowing they would escalate the situation themselves. Littlefinger had Lysa poison Jon, then send the letter to Cat, implicating the Lannisters. After the assassination attempt Littlefinger seized the opportunity to lie and say that the dagger was Tyrion's, but Littlefinger didn't actually order the hit on Bran. The Joffrey assassin thing isn't revealed until late in the 3rd book. I'm not sure if they're going to touch on it again in the show, but if you haven't read the books you wouldn't really know any of this.
Got it, thanks. I forgot about
Spoiler:
the letter to Cat.
Old 06-06-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler:
The explanation in the books:

Spoiler:
He overheard Robert talking about how Bran wouldn't have any sort of good life and Ned might as well let him die. He thought he was doing Bran and Ned a favor/impressing his father (Robert).
Old 06-07-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy shit. Just saw this one. This show is incredible. I knew it was coming from the books but man...that was awesome.
Old 06-07-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Just saw the ep. in full. This was definitely a great one.
Old 06-09-14, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick question, were the Boltons marching towards Winterfell? It looked like it but I figured Winterfell would look more Harrenhall-ish (crispy) by now.
Old 06-09-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was the Dread Fort but that doesn't make sense, it must be Winterfell.
Old 06-09-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dalbowski View Post
Quick question, were the Boltons marching towards Winterfell? It looked like it but I figured Winterfell would look more Harrenhall-ish (crispy) by now.
Winterfell won't look nearly as bad as Harrenhal. Winterfell was burned with regular fire. Harrenhal was straight up melted by dragon fire.
Old 06-09-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

^Posted to the wrong episode thread?
Old 06-09-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoops, sorry.
Old 06-09-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dalbowski View Post
Yes, Winterfell. Poor Theo... Reek. Right back to the source of the nightmare he's been living.