DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Heroes of Cosplay - Season 1.5 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620286-heroes-cosplay-season-1-5-a.html)

Cellar Door 05-26-14 08:28 PM

Heroes of Cosplay - Season 1.5

http://tve_static-syfy.nbcuni.com/pr...0722499805.jpg

Season 1.5 of Heroes of Cosplay starts tomorrow night (5/27/14) on Syfy.

I think most of the S1 cosplayers are back, with some new blood added this season. I predict that the producers will cook up faux drama between the players even more than before! But that's okay--this is a guilty pleasure show for me and I just want to see hot chicks in crazy costumes!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uLI0j1Elet...ykstra-002.jpg

VHS? 05-26-14 08:34 PM

re: Heroes of Cosplay - Season 1.5

Seems they doubled-up on the cast. Probably a good idea so viewers dont get season 1 again.

whotony 05-26-14 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by VHS? (Post 12117982)
Seems they doubled-up on the cast. Probably a good idea so viewers dont get season 1 again.

What?

VHS? 05-26-14 11:51 PM

http://i62.tinypic.com/15gr2ht.gif

The 6 from last season are joined by 5 new cast members.
If they had just gone with the original cast members it would be like season 1 all over again since it would be the same old shit.

PhantomStranger 05-27-14 12:43 AM

We'll see if they got clearance from both Marvel and DC this time. I'm not holding my breath.

Maxflier 05-27-14 09:29 AM

Enjoyed what I saw of the first season, glad to see it's back.

fumanstan 05-27-14 09:43 AM

I randomly caught two episodes of season 1 the other week and enjoyed it as someone that's seen all this stuff first hand at BlizzCon and ComicCon, and have a few friends that have dressed up. I know Yaya is famous for it, but I just remember being annoyed how she kept talking about her brand and everything.

RocShemp 05-27-14 09:36 PM

I thought season 1 was a huge letdown. Unless they shift the focus on costume creation instead of fake drama, I won't even bother with this season.

TomOpus 05-27-14 10:11 PM

I thought Jesse's MegaMan was kinda lame for someone at his level. And I thought showing his real face with the beard sorta threw the whole thing off.

VHS? 05-27-14 10:40 PM

MegaMan was junk. It was no better than any regular Con-goer would do.
What the hell was Frank doing judging. Dude couldn't cut it (twice) on Face-Off.
No Victoria fail !!! Wonder if she thought she couldn't cut it on the show seeing as deadlines are not her thing.

Not a bad first episode. I'm sure the drama will come in soon enough but I just hope there is very little of it and more costume design attention.

Cellar Door 05-28-14 01:11 AM

Pretty good start--almost no drama and there was a focus on the costumes. And we got better looks at some of the costumes from other people in the competition (who aren't part of the show's cast) than we generally got last season. The new girl (She-Ra) is cute and seems pretty level-headed and competent.

I agree that the MegaMan costume was nothing special, though I liked the hand cannon. I don't really understand the show's timelines. Do these folks really only have a week to make their costumes? I know many of them are "professionals" and should be able to do quality work, but it can take time. It always seems like they are throwing shit together at the last minute.

The winners had some cool costumes. That one with the gold wings was kickass!

If Victoria is back and as flaky as last time, we'll have to start up the "Free Jinyo" cries again.

BGPu 05-28-14 09:19 AM

I'm guessing that Yaya Han is the person who pitched the show to SyFy, and therefore she has to be the featured cast member while other "heroes" are in and out of the episodes. But the constant focus on Yaya and her travels around the world "building her brand" when she's not having the novice cosplayers come to her home and grovel for her approval really drags the show down.

DaveNinja 05-28-14 11:42 AM

I dont mind seeing Yaya's costumes but there is too much of her talking about how great she is.
Mega Man was a little too dumpy looking. I do enjoy that the 'heroes' usually dont win

DRG 05-28-14 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 12119330)
I don't really understand the show's timelines. Do these folks really only have a week to make their costumes? I know many of them are "professionals" and should be able to do quality work, but it can take time. It always seems like they are throwing shit together at the last minute.

I talked to one of the cast members at a convention recently and was told they are informed two weeks prior to a event they have to put something together, but then also have to wait for the character to be cleared by legal which can take days. I'm guessing some ideas have to be scrapped at the last minute and they have to scramble to think of something else, but we are never shown this.

I imagine they have this window because it would be too costly to have camera crews following all these people around endlessly over a 3 month span or whatever time it would normally take to build a costume.

VHS? 05-28-14 01:16 PM

That right there ruins the legitimacy of the quality of work these guys can actually do, if true.
Anyone can go online and see exactly what these guys can do and having them do mediocre crap on TV is just plain silly.

madcougar 05-28-14 02:04 PM

I'm always amused when an obviously heavy set person wears a costume for a character that is definitely not big or mustachioed. Yeah, I'm talking about the Mega Man guy. Go ahead and shave off that soup strainer my friend. No one's going to miss it.

VHS? 05-28-14 02:44 PM

That's the thing that always gets me as well. You really need to find costumes that fit your look.
Last season he did Assassin's Creed and it fit him well. Why he ever though doing MegaMan would fit his stature is beyond me. That is for someone about 5'-6" / 5'-8" and not pushing 200lbs.

PhantomStranger 05-28-14 09:51 PM

After his elaborate costumes from last year, the MegaMan costume was a bit disappointing. I did like the arm-cannon, however.

That Steampunk Tigger costume was pure genius, it was robbed of a prize. It was so easy to tell the Pokemon crew weren't going to win group prize, the winning costumes looked Hollywood quality in their detail.

This episode did not feel like a season opener to me, I think they aired this one out of intended broadcast order. They just dived right in without explaining anything.

VHS? 05-28-14 10:33 PM

Probably feel most viewers are last seasons viewers.
I cant wait to see the new cast members skills.

The Questyen 05-28-14 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by VHS? (Post 12119753)
That right there ruins the legitimacy of the quality of work these guys can actually do, if true.
Anyone can go online and see exactly what these guys can do and having them do mediocre crap on TV is just plain silly.

Welcome to every fashion show on television. They put ridiculous restraints on time and money to make for better drama.

VHS? 05-28-14 10:52 PM

Problem is, cosplayers like them can get a bad rep showing up in a costume like that (MegaMan)
I guess in the end though if the other contestants can make something good then you really have no excuse showing up in a piss-poor MegaMan costume.

DRG 05-29-14 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by VHS? (Post 12119858)
That's the thing that always gets me as well. You really need to find costumes that fit your look.

Paff 05-29-14 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by BGPu (Post 12119474)
I'm guessing that Yaya Han is the person who pitched the show to SyFy, and therefore she has to be the featured cast member while other "heroes" are in and out of the episodes. But the constant focus on Yaya and her travels around the world "building her brand" when she's not having the novice cosplayers come to her home and grovel for her approval really drags the show down.

I can think of two reasons why Yaya gets the most screen time

PhantomStranger 05-29-14 03:02 PM

I have no problems with Yaya as the focus. She's clearly the most professional Cosplayer and is a big name in the field.

Patman 05-30-14 05:34 AM

Why does my cable guide think this is still season 1, with this week being episode 7?