re: Heroes of Cosplay - Season 1.5

Originally Posted by DRG
Spoiler:
Ted Danson would be proud.
Old 05-31-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Can she go to a Clippers game or not? I'm so confused.
Old 06-01-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Why does my cable guide think this is still season 1, with this week being episode 7?
Well, I've looked into it and it appears that Syfy is officially calling this season 1.5. Huh.

I've edited my original post, and PM'd a mod to ask if they can change the thread title.
Old 06-01-14, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
That's the thing that always gets me as well. You really need to find costumes that fit your look.
Agreed.

Old 06-01-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Mega Man was ROUGH! I like that guy, but sheesh.
Old 06-01-14, 12:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That Mega Man was ROUGH! I like that guy, but sheesh.
Yeah.. that looked like a costume that a person making their costume for the first time could come up with. I even think one of the judges remarked that he bought the blue skin suit that went under the other pieces. Even the cannon wasn't really all that impressive.

Originally Posted by Paff
I can think of two reasons why Yaya gets the most screen time
That's my thought on her as well.. If she didn't have those two reasons, she probably would not get nearly the amount of attention that she gets. Every costume that she makes seems to push up and push out those two reasons which makes all the nerdy, virgin con goers wet their pants.
Old 06-01-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Heroes of Cosplay - Season 1.5

Thread title update per OP request
Old 06-02-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
That's my thought on her as well.. If she didn't have those two reasons, she probably would not get nearly the amount of attention that she gets. Every costume that she makes seems to push up and push out those two reasons which makes all the nerdy, virgin con goers wet their pants.
Um, excuse me, the "two reasons" I was referring to are her notoriety and her costume-making ability. To assume it was some physical asset I was commenting on is sexist and insulting, and frankly.........oh who am I kidding, yeah, I was talking about her boobs.
Old 06-05-14, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody watch this week?

Some good ideas, though it seemed like something was missing/off about each costume.

Riki is back in this ep. She did the cool Rocketeer and Hellboy costumes in S1.0. Too bad she couldn't get the bow done for her Ashe costume. I hope we eventually get to see that. Her backup costume was good, considering.
Spoiler:

Jesse's Mandarin was cool, though I think he should have done more detailing on the rings after going through the trouble to cast them himself.
Spoiler:

Indra's Ahri costume (League of Legends is apparently very popular) would have been more impressive if she'd figured out how to get the tails to stand out.
Spoiler:

I LOVED that Holly and Jessica made a Skeksis costume and that they got to visit the Jim Henson company, though I felt the execution was a little lacking in a couple of respects. The head and neck looked weirdly off-center when Jessica was wearing it onstage. Somewhat understandable, since Jessica's arm was the neck, but I think had Holly been there she could have coached her on how to hold the head so it looked more realistic. And Jessica's actual head should have been camouflaged better--it kind of ruined the illusion.
Spoiler:

In the audience, it looked like that young snobby cosplayer from S1.0 was shown a couple of times. I forget her name. Oh yeah, Monika Lee.

Also, I don't see Victoria's name in the credits, so I guess we won't be seeing her and Jinyo this season.

Oh, and Yaya looked boobalicious, as always.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 06-05-14 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spoilered images for size
Old 06-05-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I agree with what you said about the costumes. I missed part of the show so I'm not sure what happened with the Skeksis costume. It did look odd.
Old 06-05-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

the skeksis costume should have been better. all the pieces were there but she didnt have it put together correctly. you couldnt even see the stationary arm so it looked like it only had one arm and scoliosis. i was hoping Riki would have dressed up in the original, skimpier costume.
Old 06-05-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Enjoyed this episode a lot. Looks like everyone picked something that fit well rather than trying to do something out of their "look".
Any chance Riki will ever show those massive milkers
Old 06-06-14, 08:00 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-06-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I stalked her cosplay images before. I'm just hoping one day she Skypes her husband while out of town at a con and it gets "leaked" somehow.
Old 06-06-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Apparently she's done some professional costume design work, from what I understand.

Is there a video version of Skype now?

And what is she supposed to be in that photo? I'm a bad nerd .
Old 06-07-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
And what is she supposed to be in that photo? I'm a bad nerd .
Dr. Girlfriend from The Venture Bros.
Old 06-07-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw the past 2 episodes. Don't know why judges get bent out of shape if the cosplayer uses a body-suit. They noted it for Megaman (which was way off compared to the art they kept showing-art had no upper body armor) and for one of the girls last year. It would seem pointless to home make a body suit when a bought one does the exact same thing. Its not like the body suit is the costume.

Again, it annoys me (don't know why) the fact these people give themselves such a short amount of time to do their costumes. They know these conventions are happening MONTHS in advance but they wait until a week or so to get started. Then they don't even have it done by the time the show starts. Its not like the costumes are themed to the convention. They could start a year in advance.
Old 06-09-14, 08:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
Again, it annoys me (don't know why) the fact these people give themselves such a short amount of time to do their costumes. They know these conventions are happening MONTHS in advance but they wait until a week or so to get started. Then they don't even have it done by the time the show starts. Its not like the costumes are themed to the convention. They could start a year in advance.
That's the show's restraint. My understanding of how it works is the producers decide, "We want Holly, Chloe and Jesse to go to Topeka Nerdfest." So they tell those cast members, "You're going to Nerdfest in two weeks, make a costume." I'm assuming the show pays for flights and hotel even though they make it seem like they are just there on their own accord.

The cast members then decide on a costume, then have to get it cleared by legal. The producers need to film them making the costumes, but they can't just follow them around with filming crews for months while they build them.

On another forum, one of them revealed that they already had a costume completed of the character they were going to do and the show had them rebuild the existing costume just so the show could show them building it. I'm not sure if they used the 'new' version at the event or the older one. I suppose that's one way the show could cheat... have them throw together a quickie half-assed version of a costume so they can show the 'build', then show the really polished version at the event.
Old 06-09-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I know some folks that dabble in cosplay (and interestingly, Monika from the first season interned at Blizzard Entertainment so I have friends that know her), and most know what conventions they're going to far in advance and plan ahead.
Old 06-09-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Riki has the perfect look for any number of videogame, comic book and anime characters. I also find her costumes more polished than the others. I thought the Skeksis looked pretty cool and fairly elaborate, that was a design that could have been worked on for months to get right.

Yaya's Baroness wasn't complete without the thick German accent.
Old 06-09-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe she was doing the Sienna Miller version?
Old 06-11-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This week's episode was pretty good. They competed at Animate! Miami

The girls' costumes were all good, though I expected them to get knocked for using a seamstress. Nice to see them win, though.

Chloe is so damn cute.

A pretty good introduction for these two new guys. I liked Miguel's costume, but it did look a little unfinished. The Austin dude seems like kind of a douche--but I appreciate the ambition of his costume. Seems like he should have thought it through a little better and the final product was kind of rough, but at least he tried something unusual.

The Warhammer winner was pretty cool.

I was trying to figure out what costumes the ladies were wearing when they all got together for drinks before the show. Yaya was obviously Catwoman, and Chloe looked like she was in her Doctor Who outfit, but I wasn't sure about Holly and Jessica. Holly was in a dark wig and wearing a red jacket. Jessica had on a long brunette wig and some thick-framed glasses and a coat over an orange shirt.

ETA: Oh, ok, from the Crabcat website:

Daria and Jane, makes sense now.

Here are the costumes from this ep, spoilered for size:

Chloe
Spoiler:

Jessica
Spoiler:

Holly
Spoiler:

Miguel
Spoiler:

Carl
Spoiler:

and Yaya
Spoiler:

And I like this pic of Yaya because it looks like there are beams of energy emanating from her boobs:
Old 06-11-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Is she supposed to be Daria? That show from MTV?

Carl seemed kinda douchey and in over his head with the whole thing. Especially going down to the bar without a shirt on and drinking chocolate milk

I'm a fan of the Dragon Age games, so I thought that was cool to see and do especially for an unreleased character. It seems like Holly and Jessica are far ahead of just about everyone else on a professional level, so I love seeing what they come up with.
Old 06-11-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I think what caused Carl to not win is that it seemed like the costume was wearing HIM, and not the other way around. I've never seen or played Silent Hill, so I don't know how true it was to the character. It's not just the costume, but if the person becomes that character or not.

As for Chloe, every time I see her I start humming Seth MacFarlane's song from the Oscars. "We saw your boobs...."
Old 06-12-14, 10:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
I think what caused Carl to not win is that it seemed like the costume was wearing HIM, and not the other way around. I've never seen or played Silent Hill, so I don't know how true it was to the character. It's not just the costume, but if the person becomes that character or not.
The scope and concept of Carl's costume was impressive, but the execution was rough. Granted, with the time constraint he did a decent job but I hope he wasn't seriously thinking he would win best of show with that.

I think the face makeup was a horrible idea and wasn't done very well, either. If you look at the pictures of the original creature it's supposed to be smooth and porcelain looking. His face looked goopy and amateurish. He should have used one of those generic blank face masks and doctored it... it would have sold the mannequin idea better than facepaint.

This is what he was going for:
Spoiler:
This render seemed to be his direct inspiration:
and this is the final 'finished' look I'm seeing in most places:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.