Reload this Page >

Gang Related (FOX) - S: O'Quinn, Kang, Rodriguez, RZA -- Thursdays

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gang Related (FOX) - S: O'Quinn, Kang, Rodriguez, RZA -- Thursdays

Old 07-09-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Gang Related (FOX) - S: O'Quinn, Kang, Rodriguez, RZA -- Thursdays

I don't see it playing out that he goes to jail. Dead, thought to be dead, or on the run (after being let escape). But no jail. I can see Locke being really, really, pissed... but letting him escape given how he helped him bring down so many if his own family and the other gang. And if he is on the run, Locke can cop some form of plausible deniability.
Old 07-09-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm backlogged right now and still have all of the episodes to watch. Has there been any word if this is going to be renewed or not?
Old 07-09-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

I've been trying to keep up but Gang Related is not at the top of my priority list. From the first few episodes, it seems like a decent actioner but it has also been very predictably plotted. They need to introduce a few wrinkles outside of the generic deepcover storyline.
Old 07-18-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They went all American History X in this last episode. Los Angelicos are screwed though.
Old 07-18-14, 10:07 AM

Good episode. Liked Javier going all Jack Bauer on the Meta guys.
Old 07-19-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Wow, what an ending for the latest episode.

Most surprising new series of the year for me. Didn't expect this show to be that good.
Old 07-19-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah, this show has been solid since day 1. I hope it gets picked up for a season 2.
Old 07-30-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Just saw the last 2 episodes.

Really solid and underrated summer show.

Last episode that aired last Thursday was really good. Did not expect Ryan to turn on Javier to protect his cover since he found out Dutch was on him.

Ryan is really running on fumes right now.

I honestly felt bad for Vee when she was attacked by the Russian and almost raped and then had to admit that she may be HIV positive. She sounded like she was already HIV positive, but from what I recall that was never confirmed.

Javier's kill in the previous episode on the rival dealer was fucking crazy. Shot him up, beat the shit out of him and then smashed his face and jaw.

Carlos having to kill that young girl who witnessed Javier committing those murders was also tough.
Old 08-01-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed, another great episode tonight. They know how to do cliffhangers. Hope this show is picked up, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 08-01-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jessica is practically the only female character on the series, I have no idea where they are taking her storyline with the latest episode's ending.

Anyone else under the impression that her father might be on the take from Acosta? Terry O'Quinn has been playing him a little differently I think than if he was a straight good guy.
Old 08-01-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the father (Sam Chapel) is on the take, but in no way has the show suggested he's a pristine "good" guy. He's on the side of good, which is a different thing. He's not out robbing Armenian money trains (Vic Mackey in The Shield), but he's not above pushing a bad guy out a 2nd story window to his death.

As a fan of the shield, it's at least somewhat enjoyable to see Dutch (Jay Karnes) and Danni (Catherine Dent) interact, though in this show, she's the superior.
Old 08-01-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still loving this show. Didn't expect Javier Acosta to be in jail. Nice turn of events.
Old 08-06-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few more episodes in and the only change to how I think this has all been playing out is that Javier will be in prison and be the one that actually kills the rival don. And frankly, I should have thought of that given the mole angle can only go so far and Lopez would have to bust Javier at some point. Well that, and pretty much every mob related story has the leaders running things while in prison at some point.

Still think this ends with Lopez being revealed to Chapel, Chapel says I've known all along, and tells Lopez to run and don't look back. And that is either the end of the series, or a jumping off point for a second season. A season partially set in Mexico showing that side of things?
Old 08-07-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Still think this ends with Lopez being revealed to Chapel, Chapel says I've known all along, and tells Lopez to run and don't look back. And that is either the end of the series, or a jumping off point for a second season. A season partially set in Mexico showing that side of things?
While reading this, all I could think was Prison Break broke once they broke from Prison.

I don't think this story needs multiple seasons, but we'll see.
Old 08-07-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
While reading this, all I could think was Prison Break broke once they broke from Prison.

I don't think this story needs multiple seasons, but we'll see.
PB was at it's worst when it went back to prison (Sona). I actually just pretent that part doesn't exist and focus on the beginning and the end.

I too would prefer Gang Related fully wrap up the story this season. But should get a S2, I think following the effects of the Lopez cover getting blown could make for an equally good season.
Old 08-07-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So....this just occurred to me that Ramon Rodriguez was the annoying kid in Transformers Revenge of the Fallen - Leo Spitz

Nice 180 degree turn with the acting. Way better on this show
Old 08-08-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, they just retooled the show on the fly with that death and reveal. I wonder if that had been planned from the beginning or they switched things up, midstream?
Old 08-12-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Well, they just retooled the show on the fly with that death and reveal. I wonder if that had been planned from the beginning or they switched things up, midstream?
DJariya has it under a spoiler tag from May, so I'm guessing it was planned and
Spoiler:
the actress was cleared to look for other work.
Old 08-14-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Tonight is the season and possibly series finale. Let's see if it ends with closure or with things lingering for another season.

**SEASON FINALE**--"GANG RELATED" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

CHAPEL GOES ROGUE TO LOCATE A KILLER ON THE SEASON FINALE OF "GANG RELATED" THURSDAY, AUGUST 14, ON FOX

Daniel uses his wedding to finalize a deal between Javier and Lavar Quintel. Chapel leads his team into Mexico to find Matias, who he believes is responsible for a heinous murder in the all-new "Malandros" Season Finale episode of GANG RELATED airing Thursday, Aug. 14 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GAN-113) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Ramon Rodriguez as Ryan Lopez; RZA as Cassius Green; Terry O'Quinn as Sam Chapel; Cliff Curtis as Javier Acosta; Jay Hernandez as Daniel Acosta; Sung Kang as Tae Kim; Inbar Lavi as Veronica "Vee" Dotsen; Shantel VanSanten as Jessica Chapel; and Rey Gallegos as Carlos Acosta

Guest Cast: Amaury Nolasco as Matias

Old 08-14-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great finale. Hopefully not a series finale. I really like this.
Old 08-15-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent summer series. During last week's episode, I was wondering how Javier knew the Metas were going after Jessica. It weird that he knew that info so quickly. I just brushed it off and forgot about it.

But after the finale, all was revealed.
Old 08-15-14, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah that was a solid finale. That was a solid 13 week run overall. Very entertaining show. They definitely left things open for a second season. Not too much was wrapped up.

I figured there was more to Jessica's murder and it wasn't as cut and dry.

1) The Ryan and Javier storyline was for the most part resolved. Ryan presumably cut ties with him and the Acosta family.

2) Daniel is now in charge of Los Angelicos and depending on what happens/happened to Javier, that's still an open storyline. Carlos looks jealous that his little brother is taking charge.

3) The Metas are still out and about and an open threat to Los Angelicos

4) Ryan's identity is still in jeopardy because the DA knows who he is and Carter is still suspicious because of the voice mail. Plus, the DA is on Javier's payroll, which Chapel and Ryan are unaware of.

I'm not optimistic this will return next year because it aired during the summer where viewership is low. But, I can't say the last 13 weeks wasn't entertaining, because it was. It was a fun summer series whether or not it comes back.

Kudos to Scott Rosenbaum for getting some The Shield alumnus to work on this show. Catherine Dent as well as Jay Karnes.

If this is still sitting on your DVRs unwatched, I say still watch it even though the Fall is fast approaching. For a network cop serial drama, it's quite good and compelling. It makes a good binge watch show IMO.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-15-14 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it.

It has to be renewed! I mean Fox didn't air any of the episodes out of order.
Old 08-15-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

The Hollywood Reporter talked to showrunner Scott Rosenbaum about the season finale. Here's the most important part:

Have you heard whether the show will be renewed for a second season?

We're in discussions right now. We don't have confirmation if it's going to happen or not, but we're actively talking to them about it, and I'm hoping sometime in the next couple weeks we'll get an answer, either good or bad. It definitely has a shot, which is nice.

I'm guessing if they do a 2nd season, which is unlikely since the ratings weren't great, they would have to cut the budget. I'd like to see this come back for 10-13 episodes. However, the ratings this show got would be good on FX, not FOX.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-flat/293536/

The Finale got 2.4M viewers and 0.7.
Old 08-15-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I would guess budget issues are the real barrier to renewal. This had a pretty big cast and action shows cost more with sets and locations.

I wasn't totally enthusiastic about Gang Related in the beginning, though it did move at a fast clip during the season. For the DVR watchers, it's probably worth running through a few episodes and checking it out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.