DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   True Detective (HBO) -- Season 2 News, Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620172-true-detective-hbo-season-2-news-rumors.html)

DJariya 05-20-14 10:17 PM

True Detective (HBO) -- Season 2 News, Rumors

Instead of bumping up the season finale thread over and over, I figured it's time to start a generic thread for season 2.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...ctive-season-2

Jessica Chastain has reportedly been offered the lead role for season 2. It's only a rumor at this point. No confirmation from HBO or her reps.

IMO, If HBO wants season 2 to be ready for 2015, they need to cast the leads soon.

superdeluxe 05-20-14 11:08 PM

Re: True Detective (HBO) -- Season 2 News, Rumors

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...ee-Of-Life.jpg

Brad Pitt being a strong rumor for the other lead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...-actor-3530863

Pitt/Chastain, I can support that.

dex14 05-21-14 08:53 AM

http://www.troll.me/images/x-all-the...-it-happen.jpg

dex14 05-21-14 09:44 AM

E! News is reporting the Chastain's reps are saying she will not be doing the series:
http://www.eonline.com/news/543882/j...st-your-bubble

I would love if she did... but her schedule looks much too full.

superdeluxe 05-21-14 10:44 AM

Hrmm, Maybe the Brad Pitt stuff might be true, you saw how quickly Chastain squashed the rumors. Sad we are losing Chastain though.

So who to pair with Pitt?

superdeluxe 05-21-14 10:48 AM

Pair up Brad Pitt with Ed Norton. The two have worked together in the past, and they are have also been connected with each other via the Lewis & Clark long rumored mini-series.

Dr. DVD 05-21-14 02:07 PM

I say bring back Pitt and Norton for a reunion. Just don't have a twist where it turns out they are the same person....again!!! ;)

Dammit! Why did the Chastain thing turn out to be a rumor? I am glad she is busy, but this is the second time she has had to turn down a role in something I would like (the other being Iron Man 3) .

superdeluxe 05-21-14 02:10 PM

Apparently Chastain is too busy with films.

What about a Brad Pitt & Gary Oldman pairing..

Or even a Brad Pitt & Daniel Day Lewis lol, you would just give him the emmy right now.

starseed1981 05-21-14 03:46 PM

Can't see Pitt doing a series at this point as awesome as it would be. Then again, I never thought I'd see Julia Roberts in a TV movie so fingers crossed I guess.

superdeluxe 05-21-14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12113456)
Can't see Pitt doing a series at this point as awesome as it would be. Then again, I never thought I'd see Julia Roberts in a TV movie so fingers crossed I guess.

I think we have broken the Movie/TV stereotypes with this very own show, I never thought Matthew would have done Season 1

Decker 05-21-14 04:09 PM

If we're looking for a female movie star who might be available for a limited tv series, how about Jodie Foster? Pairing her with Pitt would match the stars of the two best, most iconic crime thrillers of the nineties. I'd watch.

superdeluxe 05-21-14 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12113486)
If we're looking for a female movie star who might be available for a limited tv series, how about Jodie Foster? Pairing her with Pitt would match the stars of the two best, most iconic crime thrillers of the nineties. I'd watch.

Jodie Foster would work, I always thought this would be the perfect vehicle to get Hilary Swank back in the limelight.

Dr. DVD 05-21-14 05:24 PM

HBO really has broken the barrier with TV movies in terms of both directors and stars. No one would have ever thought they would see A movie scripted and directed by David Mamet starring Al Pacino and Helen Mirren on HBO, but it happened. Even moreso a movie about Liberace directed by Steven Soderbergh starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

Seems that HBO is the only place rated R type dramas with big stars can get made anymore.

Mike86 05-21-14 05:51 PM

I don't care for Chastain that much so I won't mind if that rumor turns out to be false. Pitt could be an interesting choice but seems like a pretty big name for something like this. Then again Harrelson and McConaughey are both fairly big names too.

csant 05-21-14 05:57 PM

How about Morgan Freeman....!

Im curious to see who HBO finally gets for the rolls.

Groucho 05-21-14 06:34 PM

Mmm...rolls.

dex14 05-23-14 05:48 PM

Jessica Chastain addressed “True Detective” casting rumors at the amfAR event at the Hotel du Cap in Cannes on Thursday night.

Earlier this week, several websites reported the actress was offered a lead role in season two of the HBO series.

“That news broke yesterday, and everybody went crazy on the Internet,” Chastain said on the red carpet, confirming she won’t star in season two of the drama.

“It’s an awkward thing because when all that attention happens — it takes away from whoever plays the role.”

“I’m a big fan of the series,” Chastain said, adding she was drawn to Matthew McConaughey’s and Woody Harrelson’s performances. “I’m going to watch the second season just like I watched every episode of the first.”

Chastain stars in the Cannes film “The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby.”

JumpCutz 05-23-14 07:34 PM

Please no Brad Pitt. :sad:

I would like to see Michael Shannon tackle this material.

starseed1981 05-23-14 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 12113474)
I think we have broken the Movie/TV stereotypes with this very own show, I never thought Matthew would have done Season 1

I dunno. Pitt still is the starring lead in $200 million dollar blockbusters. Matthew has had half a dozen straight to video releases in the last couple of years. Big difference on this level of casting.

JohnSlider 05-23-14 10:29 PM

I have no interest in Pitt. I was really hoping for Hopkins/Chastain in a teacher/student type deal.

Jackskeleton 05-24-14 04:11 AM

What's in the box?!? WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!!?!?

majorjoe23 05-24-14 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12113614)
Mmm...rolls.

There's no way MM could have been as skinny as he was in the first season if he was eating carbs.

zekeburger1979 05-24-14 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12115854)
I dunno. Pitt still is the starring lead in $200 million dollar blockbusters. Matthew has had half a dozen straight to video releases in the last couple of years. Big difference on this level of casting.

Huh? Here's what's he's done the last couple of years:

The Wolf of Wall Street
Dallas Buyers Club
Mud
The Paperboy

Two Best Picture nominees, one of which he won an Oscar for, a critically acclaimed indie, and a poorly reviewed box office bomb. No straight to video releases in that time frame.

JTH182 05-24-14 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 12116000)
What's in the box?!? WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!!?!?

dex14 05-27-14 11:37 AM

More details have emerged about the cast and setting of “True Detective” season two, which will focus on three new leads, according to creator Nic Pizzolatto.

In a recent interview with public radio program “To the Best of Our Knowledge,” Pizzolatto revealed that in the new season’s current form, “we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one.”

He added, “The characters are all new, but I’m deeply in love with each of them. We’ve got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months.”

The show’s anthology format means that season two will be entirely self-contained and distinct from its freshman year, with no plans for season one stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson to return — something that differentiates the series from FX’s “American Horror Story,” which recycles actors from past seasons in new roles.

Pizzolatto previously told HitFix that “True Detective” season two would be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”

Last week, rumors circulated that “Zero Dark Thirty” star Jessica Chastain was offered a role in season two, but the actress denied the buzz on the red carpet at Cannes. “It’s an awkward thing because when all that attention happens — it takes away from whoever plays the role,” she said. “I’m a big fan of the series. I’m going to watch the second season just like I watched every episode of the first.”
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true...ng-1201193624/