The Vampire Diaries -- Season Finale -- "Home" -- 5/15/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-15-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES

"Home" - (8:00-9:00:57 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

AN EXPLOSIVE SEASON FINALE - Heartbroken by an unexpected tragedy, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is focused on holding himself together, while pushing Bonnie (Kat Graham) harder than ever to find a way to stop the disintegration of the Other Side. Elena (Nina Dobrev) takes matters into her own hands and demands that Liv (guest star Penelope Mithcell) and Luke (guest star Chris Broshu) help her, but Liv refuses to cooperate until Caroline (Candice Accola) provides her with some personal motivation. Sheriff Forbes (guest star Marguerite MacIntyre) is horrified when Markos (guest star Raffi Barsoumian) uses violence against Tyler/Julian (Michael Trevino) to prove that Mystic Falls is now under the control of the Travelers. With new information from Sheriff Forbes, Damon comes up with a dangerous plan that relies on split-second timing from Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) and Matt (Zach Roerig). Liv's off-hand remark regarding Stefan (Paul Wesley) gets a surprisingly emotional response from Caroline. As conditions on the Other Side worsen, Bonnie takes the opportunity to settle an old score. Finally, Damon's plan causes a massive explosion in Mystic Falls, and everyone is caught up in the confusion, leaving a trail of heroism, sacrifice, relief and despair. Chris Grismer directed the episode written by Caroline Dries & Brian Young (#522).

Episode 22 of 22

renewed through the 2014-15 season (the show's sixth) on 2/13/14

I've watched this show since the Pilot, but this is an instance where I'm glad the season is over. This was probably the most convoluted mess of a season in it's entire run. I know that probably contributed to it's declining ratings and lack of popularity here as well.

The creative decline started after Elena turned IMO. The writers really need to tone down all these new mystical elements that they introduced.
Old 05-15-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Vampire Diaries -- Season Finale -- "Home" -- 5/15/14

http://tvline.com/2014/05/15/the-vam...eries-regular/

A certain former teacher who died over and over and over again, then left for a shitty CW show that got cancelled is coming back. He will be a series regular next season.
Old 05-15-14, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Twitter spoiled that surprise but it's a welcome one. The show was sorely lacking him.
Old 05-15-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How did the sheriff survive when she was directly on top of the gas leak?

Was surprised by all the oldies showing up. I think they needed some random people coming through also.

Vampire hunter boy performance was lacking but I liked the part where he was talking about finding the boarder of the spell. Bonnie was on point for her last time on the show.

Thought it was a good season final. I hope they come up with a original plot line for next season.
Old 05-17-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I though the other side was only for supernatural people. Doesn't that mean Liz is dead? I don't think I saw her come back through?

I'm sorry, but Elena barely batted an eye when Stephan was dead, yet fell apart due to Dameon dying? I don't see how she's that upset over him dying. The situation felt contrived and false.

Sucks that Lexi is gone for good.

So if I understood correctly, and it seemed like the show glossed over - everybody is back to human?

Seems like this would have been great as the penultimate episode of the series. Then just have an episode to breath and wrap things up.
Old 05-17-14, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Liz didn't die...she was unconscious.
Old 05-17-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

I'm sorry, but Elena barely batted an eye when Stephan was dead, yet fell apart due to Dameon dying? I don't see how she's that upset over him dying. The situation felt contrived and false.
It feels odd and out of place. Far too forced.

So if I understood correctly, and it seemed like the show glossed over - everybody is back to human?
It appears they come back whatever they were when they died. Tyler was turned back into a human when he died.
Old 05-17-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

They've moved on, Damon is now the true love of Elena's life. It looks like they will have Caroline and Stephan get closer. I was so hoping that Tyler would get killed off in this finale.
Old 05-17-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They've moved on, Damon is now the true love of Elena's life.
It still feels forced and fake, even for fake television characters.
Old 05-18-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
It still feels forced and fake, even for fake television characters.
It was a dumb storyline all season, badly mishandled. They never gave any indication that they were really breaking up, so everyone knew it was only a matter of time before they declared their undying love for each other.

Ian Somerhalder carried this show for a number of years with his acting and charisma, but his scenes with Elena in this finale were terrible. I have no idea what emotion he was trying to convey with some of his facial expressions in this one.
Old 05-18-14, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I actually fast forwarded through that scene because I didn't care.

I couldn't even tell you what reason Elena and Stephane broke up.

I still really hope they don't hook up Bonnie and Stephan, only to put him with Elena. They definitely have a great relationship, so I'd rather it stay at the Lexi level.
Old 05-18-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
No, just Tyler. They explain it here.
Old 05-18-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ian Somerhalder carried this show for a number of years with his acting and charisma, but his scenes with Elena in this finale were terrible. I have no idea what emotion he was trying to convey with some of his facial expressions in this one.
How about you dumped me in real life and I'm tired of pretending I love you.
Old 05-18-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kdogg
How about you dumped me in real life and I'm tired of pretending I love you.
Old 05-18-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going from a hybrid back to standard human would kind of suck since hybrids don't have to deal with as many weaknesses and other issues. A lot of power to lose.
Old 05-19-14, 05:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

After watching what the actress can do with her each of her roles on Orphan Black, it's amazing how bad the acting is on Vampire Diaries is with regards to their doppelgängers; they've pretty much given up on distinguishing them apart. Silas shows up in this episode, and everyone is like "hi Stefan!" and he has to correct them. When bonnie allowed him to get sucked into oblivion, I had to remember that he wasn't Stephan.
Old 05-19-14, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PerryD
After watching what the actress can do with her each of her roles on Orphan Black, it's amazing how bad the acting is on Vampire Diaries is with regards to their doppelgängers; they've pretty much given up on distinguishing them apart. Silas shows up in this episode, and everyone is like "hi Stefan!" and he has to correct them. When bonnie allowed him to get sucked into oblivion, I had to remember that he wasn't Stephan.
Are we comparing a CW show to Orphan Black?

I thought Nina handled Elena and Katherine really well in previous seasons.

The Orphan Black characters all look different. Here Elena/Katherine and Stephen/Silas still visually look the same.