TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory - Season Finale - "The Status Quo Combustion" - 5/15/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory - Season Finale - "The Status Quo Combustion" - 5/15/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Maybe Sheldon will come back and have undergone actual character development! Unlikely though.
Yea, that's probably not going to happen for a while. The show has, what, 2 more seasons? They're not going to make too many changes, and nothing too drastic. Sheldon will probably undergo a huge change in the final season.

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'm still not sure why Raj was gloating about getting some. He's got action before, and he's never gone on about it *that* much in the past.
Probably has more to do with how long it's been for him. I can't remember when the last time was - when he banged that fat chick... or Judy Greer? I think we're looking at around 4 seasons ago.
Old 05-17-14, 06:22 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Christine Baranski is always hilarious .
I love her... She always plays a great character and does a great job with it. Even though this is a bit part for her, its fun having her play Leonard's mother.
Old 05-18-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was good. TBBT is not a high concept comedy, it's not innovative or any of that stuff. It just works with a classic formula.

Also there isn't a lot of continuity besides the 3 main characters, so you can see Raj being inconsistent. I'm fine with that.

About the girls being too hot for the geeks. They live in Southern California. Penny is a California 8. Bernadette is a California 6 at best. The red head may be a 7. Amy... A Wyoming 6? I love Amy.
Old 05-18-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

A Wyoming 6? I love it.

The episode was pretty good. I'm done with Howard's mom though. We get it, she's fat and overbearing. They've exhausted that well for 7 years, it's time to move on. I did like Stuart enjoying his new job and having a spring in his step. Suicidal/Depressed Stuart was a horrible turn for the character the past couple seasons.

Also loved Bernadette's "but I wanted to go to Hawaii... not HELL!" delivery.
Old 05-18-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
About the girls being too hot for the geeks. They live in Southern California. Penny is a California 8. Bernadette is a California 6 at best. The red head may be a 7. Amy... A Wyoming 6? I love Amy.
Right, there may be a lot of hotter girls in California - but there are also a lot of above-average guys as well. This isn't the apocalypse, where chicks like Penny, Bernadette and Emily have limited options and either have to bang geeks or become lesbians. They still have a lot of decent looking guys to choose from.

Basically, in the real world Leonard, Raj and Howard have no shot at these chicks. It's pretty tiring to see shows where the chick is usually out of the guys league (ie. King of Queens) - especially when it's rarely ever done the other way. The closest examples I can find where a chick was the "reacher" and not a "settler" is Nurse Jackie (with her husband) and anything with Sarah Jessica Parker.
Old 05-18-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it would be to dark for the show but why not have Howard's mother die? For all the complaining he does over her, it could show that he really does care for her and wishes she was still alive. Maybe have a storyline where he starts insisting the rest of the group eat healthy since he doesn't want them to get fat and die.
Old 05-18-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

Basically, in the real world Leonard, Raj and Howard have no shot at these chicks. It's pretty tiring to see shows where the chick is usually out of the guys league (ie. King of Queens) - especially when it's rarely ever done the other way. The closest examples I can find where a chick was the "reacher" and not a "settler" is Nurse Jackie (with her husband) and anything with Sarah Jessica Parker.
My best friend from HS is below average in the looks department. His wife is a 7. He's not even a rich dude. So it does happen in the real world.
Old 08-03-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

If you haven't already heard, there's a delay in production while the cast tries to renegotiate their contracts.
http://tvline.com/2014/07/30/the-big...ed-production/

As reasonably anticipated yet still worth reporting, production on Season 8 of The Big Bang Theory has been officially postponed, as the five leads wait to hammer out new contracts.

“Due to ongoing contract negotiations, production on The Big Bang Theory — which was originally scheduled to begin today — has been postponed,” reads a statement from Warner Bros. TV, which produces TV’s most watched, highest rated comedy.
Production has been pushed back one day for now, with the situation to be reassessed on a day-to-day basis.

Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting reportedly are aiming to increase their per-episode salary from north of $300,000 (plus a quarter-of-a-point on the back end) to possibly a cool million, while Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar (currently fetching $125 and $75K per episode, respectively) also are seeking sizable raises.

Later-season additions Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik are on different contract cycles, and thus do have deals for the coming season.

CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler said this month the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour that she is “very confident” new deals will be struck in time to deliver the hour-long Sept. 22 premiere on time, which means negotiations theoretically could extend as late as Labor Day weekend.
Old 08-03-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like Seinfeld and Friends before, good for them. The show is a goldmine, they deserve every Penny.
Old 08-03-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well done Sir!
Old 08-03-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They'll get their raises, the show is one of the most successful sitcoms on TV. I'm a little surprised that Nayyar only makes 75K an episode.

And let's face reality, after the show ends, this high level is nearly impossible to achieve again.
Old 08-03-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Milk it dry while you can and retire on more money than I and everyone in my social strata will make in three lifetimes. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.
Old 08-04-14, 10:30 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

CBS’ The Big Bang Theory is a big step closer to making the new August 6 production start date for Season 8 — I’ve learned that stars Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco have agreed to new three-year contracts. The deals for Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco came after marathon negotiations between Big Bang producer Warner Bros. TV and reps for the actors over the weekend, with Parsons’ pact closing first on Sunday, followed by the Galecki and Cuoco deals under “favorite nations” terms, giving the trio financial parity. WBTV declined comment and reps for Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco could not be reached for comment, but I hear the trio are in the long-rumored Friends salary territory, scoring paychecks of $1 million per episode for the 72 episodes the show is slated to produce in Seasons 8-10. What’s more, I hear the door has been left open to a potential 11th season.

I also hear that the complex deals go well beyond per-episode fees and also include larger pieces of the show, signing bonuses, production deals and advances towards the back-end — perks associated with talent deals on shows as big as Big Bang. In addition to tripling their most recent salaries of $350,000 an episode, I hear Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco also quadrupled their previous ownership on the show, which has gone up from .25 point to more than a point. I hear Parsons’ pact includes a production deal that spans TV and features and possibly theater, with Galecki and Cuoco also getting producing arrangements. Galecki produced a comedy project for WBTV last season, No Place Like Home, which went to pilot at Fox. All in, I hear Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco are poised to make at least $90 million dollars each over the lives of the deals, with some observers noting that the total could conceivably rise towards $100 million if Big Bang continues to be as strong in syndication and auxiliary markets. With the big payday for Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco and the windfall for top profit participants, WBTV still is expected to clear $1 billion in profits, with some projecting that Big Bang could contribute to Time Warner’s bottom line twice that over its lifespan.

With Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco signed on and co-stars Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik already on board for Season 8 after renegotiating their contracts last fall, the focus is on wrapping negotiations with the last remaining original cast members, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar, before the table read planned for Wednesday. I hear the two are close and there is a possibility for them to reach new deals today though there have been some bumps in the back-and-forth. The close friends, who raised their per-episode fee to more than $100,000 an episode in the 2010 renegotitions, are once again negotiating together and had been looking to close the salary gap with fellow original cast members Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco. If Helberg and Nayyar close on time for the Wednesday table read, production on Season 8 will be only one week behind schedule, a delay that the actors and WBTV are hopeful they can make up later in the season so the order remains 24 episodes and is not trimmed down to 23.

Big Bang, whose eighth season is slated to kick off with an hourlong premiere on Sept. 22, is a major piece of CBS’ fall plans. It is first being used on Monday as an 8 PM anchor and a launch pad for new drama Scorpion before the comedy returns to Thursday post-football to once again lead the network’s comedy block.

The blockbuster deals for Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco were brokered by attorneys from Gang, Tyre Ramer & Brown (Parsons) and Hansen, Jacobson, Teller (Galecki, Cuoco) as well as the trio’s other reps, CAA and Principal Entertainment (Parsons), WME and Management 360 (Galecki) and SDB Partners and Brillstein Entertainment Partners (Cuoco).
Old 08-04-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Truthfully this is the role of a lifetime for all of them. Aside from Jim Parsons I doubt we'll ever see any of them again once the show ends its run. Good for them for getting paid.
Old 08-04-14, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Truthfully this is the role of a lifetime for all of them. Aside from Jim Parsons I doubt we'll ever see any of them again once the show ends its run. Good for them for getting paid.
I think Galecki will still get around. Obviously nothing this level... but he's pretty funny when he's playing a douche, the opposite of Leonard.

Cuoco could try for movies, but I don't think she could successfully make that jump. She'll probably try to attach herself to some cable drama to break the mold, but it probably wouldn't work.

Last edited by dex14; 08-04-14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know how much work Parsons will get. I know people love him but I'll wait to see him try to star in something other than BBT before saying he'll continue to be big after the show. I can't remember what they were saying about Michael Richards towards the end of Seinfeld but I imagine everyone thought he'd be the big star after that show. Never panned out and I feel that's where Parsons is headed too. You know, except for the whole N bomb thing.

Cuoco will be fine. She's hot. Hot chicks get work.

Of the three I think Galecki is the best actor. But he was around for a long time before BBT and didn't do much of note after Roseanne so who knows if he'll do anything after.

Hopefully the rest of the cast cashes in big time too. Because they'll disappear quickly.
Old 08-04-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Galecki is the only one that will make it post BBT.
Old 08-04-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree that Galecki seems the most likely to continue to get TV and small movie roles, just like he had before BBT. Cuoco would probably get plenty of opportunities for other TV shows as well. I'm not sure about Parsons, since he would need to do something outside of that Sheldon personality.
Old 08-04-14, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Agree that Galecki seems the most likely to continue to get TV and small movie roles, just like he had before BBT. Cuoco would probably get plenty of opportunities for other TV shows as well. I'm not sure about Parsons, since he would need to do something outside of that Sheldon personality.
He'll make a living doing theatre and the occasional movie.
Old 08-04-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Cuoco will have a successful career as the "best friend" in chick flicks for the two decades following the end of BBT.

Parsons is up for two Emmys this year, one for a HBO movie (The Normal Heart) and one for BBT. He'll do alright.

I'm sure none of them will have Seinfeld money (Jerry is worth $800m, Larry David is $400m, Julia Louise is $200m w/ $1 - $3b waiting), but they'll all be fine.
Old 08-04-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

I think Jim Parsons' career will depend on if he can shake being type cast after this series ends. He's a good actor but parts like this will stay with him forever. He might have a decent stage career though. Kaley Cuoco might have a small career in chick flicks but probably won't do much beyond that. Actresses like her are a dime a dozen and she's good but nothing too special. Johnny Galecki I don't see as a big star but he might get some co-starring roles if he's lucky. I don't see him as a leading man though. Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar will probably disappear into obscurity after the show ends if I had to guess.
Old 08-04-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting reportedly are aiming to increase their per-episode salary from north of $300,000 (plus a quarter-of-a-point on the back end) to possibly a cool million, while Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar (currently fetching $125 and $75K per episode, respectively) also are seeking sizable raises.
Galecki and Parsons sure bring a lot to the table, they deserve their raises.
Kaley: no. IMHO Helberg and Nayyar bring more than Kaley. At this point they could write off Kaley, bring in a new girl and I would not care.
Old 08-04-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I can see why Helberg and Nayyar make less than their three co-stars. They could leave the show and it could carry on without as much damage as if any of the other three leads left. But I am curious under what circumstances it was decided that Helberg was worth more than Nayyar. They've both been there as supporting players since episode 1, yet Helberg makes almost double what Nayyar does. Awwwwkward...
Old 08-04-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Because up until this season half of Nayyar's scenes didn't require any dialog.
Old 08-04-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
But I am curious under what circumstances it was decided that Helberg was worth more than Nayyar.
Helberg was on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. 'Nuff said.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.