DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Last Show You Binged?

NCIS s10ep5-9
Old 04-13-21, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Chernobyl - third time I've watched it and it's just as chilling as it was the first 2 times.
Old 04-13-21, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 619 Likes on 381 Posts

12 Monkeys season one again.
Old 04-13-21, 06:40 PM

NCIS s11ep10-14
Old 04-13-21, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 754 Posts

Family - Season 4 - 22 episodes.
Fargo - S3 rewatch

Halt and Catch Fire - S2
Old 04-14-21, 09:33 AM

NCIS s11ep15-19
Old 04-16-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Titans - Season 2
Old 04-16-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 619 Likes on 381 Posts

Chuck seasons three and four again.
Old 04-17-21, 11:39 AM

NCIS s11ep20-24
Old 04-19-21, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Breeders Season 1 on Hulu. Now watching S2 each week.
Old 04-19-21, 01:24 PM

NCIS s12ep1-4
Old 04-19-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Battlestar Galactica - Recently managed to binge the entire "remake" series. It was overall pretty good, especially seasons two and three. Season four was kind of a let down, and it didn't have the greatest ending, but overall I enjoyed it. Some of the acting (*cough*Sackhoff*cough*) took some time getting used to, but stalwarts like Olmos, McDonnell, and Stockwell were solid throughout. I appreciated the adult tone and the political aspects, and how they commented on society at the time. That said, I also watched the two DTV movies, Razor and The Plan and they were completely redundant and pointless. Like, there's literally no reason for them to have been made, aside from monetary reasons. They're awful. But, yeah, good series overall and the complete series is probably worth purchasing on Blu-Ray as long as it can be had for under around $100 (or preferably $75) Canadian.

Weeds - Caught the odd episode when it was still airing and I enjoyed it (I've always loved Kevin Nealon, and Mary-Louise Parker is not only funny but is also a smokeshow...and I can't think of the actor's name, but whoever plays her brother-in-law is also a funny actor I tend to like). It's pretty great, especially the first four seasons or so, but, like most shows, kind of tails off towards the end. The plots get a lot more far-fetched and convoluted and simply become unbelievable (the premise itself requires a certain amount of "suspension of disbelief", but the later seasons take this to the extreme). Really poor series finale aside, it's still a solid watch, and I'd recommend the Blu-Ray set so long as it's under like $75 Cnd. Or if you can stream it, do that...I should also note that because of the shitty cardboard packaging, several of the discs had issues in which the first episode on certain discs would skip and skip and skip...The problem was usually resolved by the second episode, but it was still annoying and I'm sure I missed a couple things because of that...

Deadwood: Season Three - Initially put off watching this because I was so irritated when it wasn't renewed for another season or two. I was like, "fuck this." Did buy the boxset on Blu-Ray and I've been kind of wanting to check out that movie that came out so I was like, okay, you should probably watch this. And? It was all right. Nothing too special. I felt that it felt that it wasn't going to be the final season. Just the way it ended...I was like, uh, okay? What's next? Like, there really wasn't any sort of sense of closure (whatsoever) or resolution or anything. It still had some solid episodes (although I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate the Calamity Jane character and I can't stand the actress portraying her; I think it's way too much of a caricature and is just over-the-top...I thought it would grow on me and I'd eventually accept it but that just hasn't been the case; I think it's a combination of bad writing there and bad acting...and I don't say that without hesitation cause I generally like everything David Milch has done).

Miami Vice - Watched Season One and was super impressed. I thought for sure I'd find it super cheesy and corny and just very '80s but it holds up surprisingly well. Great music that actually isn't that dated, pretty solid acting all-around, amazing guest stars who oftentimes went on to great things, and just solid writing and storytelling. I was really blown away. I actually watched all four discs of season one over the course of like three evenings, and am already on disc two of season two. Just a really great show. I really wish they had managed to at least secure some commentaries from Michael Mann or one of the various directors/co-stars for several of the episodes; I'd love to hear additional thoughts on the show.

Last edited by Goonies85; 04-24-21 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-20-21)
Old 04-20-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 315 Posts

Demon Slayer

Preparing for the full-length feature releasing (in theaters) on Thursday, so I watched 26-Episodes in about a day or so.
Old 04-20-21, 01:47 PM

NCIS s12ep5-9
Old 04-21-21, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 218 Posts

The Baker and the Beauty - S01Ep1-9. - Netflix - looks like there will be no S2.

Old 04-21-21, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Line of Duty - Season 3
Old 04-21-21, 08:55 AM

NCIS s12ep10-14
Old 04-24-21, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Newsroom: Seasons One and Two - Really enjoyed these. I remember starting to watch the first season when it initially came out but just had too much going on with work and school to follow it, so I kind of drifted away. I regret that, because I think it is an excellent show. I especially love how Aaron Sorkin can make his point without appearing to be "partisan" (although, I'm sure a lot of Repubs would disagree). He just uses their own words to make his point. And I gotta say, I've always thought Olivia Munn was a great-looking actress, but I really only knew her from X-Men: Apocalypse, which isn't exactly a great movie to have on your resume. But holy shit is she ever FUNNY. Like, I had no idea but some of the time the parts I'm laughing at the most are her line readings. I'm going to try and follow her career more and hopefully that involves a ton of comedies because she had me in stitches. The only real drawback I have from these first two seasons is that, even though I really, really like Alison Pill (she was adorable in Goon), I thought the whole African thing was kind of dumb. It just didn't really fit in with the rest of the show and I just didn't care for it at all. Pill still did a somewhat-decent job but to be honest she acted a bit too hysterically and it just wasn't believable. Oh well...On to Season Three...

House of Cards: Season Four - Another fantastic season. I'm kind of intrigued about what is going to happen in the fifth season, given the situation with Kevin Spacey. I understand that they basically reshot the first episode or two and basically axed him from the series (rightfully so) but I want to see how they handle that in terms of storyline. Robin Wright is damn good and I know she could carry the series but it'll be interesting...I'm hoping to pick up the season five Blu-Ray next week...
Old 04-24-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 957 Posts

For all Mankind S2
Old 04-25-21, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts

Shadow and Bone (Netflix)
Old 04-26-21, 09:12 AM

NCIS s12ep15-19
Old 04-27-21, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wentworth - Season 3
Old 04-27-21, 08:22 AM

NCIS s12ep20-24
Old 04-29-21, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Newsroom: Season Three - Pretty decent end to the series, all things considered. I know the ending was kind of forced on Sorkin or something but for what it is, it's pretty solid. I especially liked how they didn't drag it out and just kept it to 6 episodes. That was a good decision and I like when HBO or Netflix or whatever services do that sort of thing, and don't just try and constantly milk 12 or 13 episodes a season even when there's not enough material to justify that.

Show Me A Hero (HBO TV Miniseries) - Probably should've watched this years ago when I first bought it. Just another great HBO show from David Simon, featuring a great performance by Oscar Isaac (as well as multiple other great character actors giving wonderful performances). Pretty lean at 6 episodes, it's easy to binge in one or two sittings, and it's well worth your time. Just a great little show. I continue to look forward to whatever David Simon has on deck in the future (I still need to watch The Deuce: Season Three)...He re-upped his deal with HBO so at least we know there's more coming soon from the prolific writer/creator...

Mad Men: Season One - Was so skeptical of this for years that even though I purchased the first season a long time ago, I just couldn't make the time to watch it. I mean, I tried the first episode a few times but just couldn't get into it. Finally glued myself to the sofa and you know what? It's very good. Very good. It's not like Breaking Bad good or The Wire good, but it's good. The only drawback I found is that it just wasn't as addictive as those other shows (and others) that I've watched. I did binge the episodes, but it wasn't like I was going crazy waiting to check out the next episode. I am intrigued enough that I'll eventually purchase the remaining Blu-Ray sets and will watch them. It's off to a solid start so I do look forward to see exactly where it goes from here...

Now watching more Miami Vice: Season Two and probably finally watching Roots: The TV Miniseries...Been meaning to watch that for years and it's constantly referenced in pop culture so I want to know more about it...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.