Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Oathkeeper" -- 4/27/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Oathkeeper" -- 4/27/14

I don't think they're so much "passing" the books, as the show's writers (along with GRRM) are making a more polished final draft of the books that's tighter and more coherent.
Old 04-28-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I really liked the explanations of Joffrey's death, I too don't think it was obvious to anyone who hadn't read the books short of those screen caps online.

I still don't really feel much for those white walker things, or know the difference between what they showed versus a wight that you guys mentioned, so whatever they do to babies didn't come off as that amazing or awesome for me. To me, those creatures feel a bit detached from the rest of the universe so it feels a little awkward and still not some huge threat.
Old 04-28-14, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of wights (undead that are controlled) as SOLDIERS, the white walkers on horses as CAPOS and the more intelligent white walkers at the end of the scene as BOSSES.
Old 04-28-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who is the big boss?

I love this show, much more so than the book because the last 2 books were so awful. I like most of the changes as well, making this a much tighter, more gripping tale.
Old 04-28-14, 10:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Who is the big boss?
If you've read the all the books, check the spoiler thread.
Old 04-28-14, 11:08 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
If you've read the all the books, check the spoiler thread.
I haven't read the books and not looking to be spoiled, but does there end up being more to the White Walkers than them simply being evil baby stealing killers? A simple yes or no, please.
Old 04-28-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only read the first book...but I feel like the Whitewalkers are honestly the real threat when we're talking about Westeros, perhaps the true antagonists. That's just a guess.

A more educated guess (not really any book spoilers, as this is all just conjecture...):

Spoiler:
Since the book series is actually called A Song of Ice and Fire...I'm assuming there is a great battle brewing between Whitewalkers and Dragons. Assuming also because we've seen dragon bone annihilate a Whitewalker. This is all just based off guesses though.
Old 04-29-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
I have only read the first book...but I feel like the Whitewalkers are honestly the real threat when we're talking about Westeros, perhaps the true antagonists. That's just a guess.

A more educated guess (not really any book spoilers, as this is all just conjecture...):

Spoiler:
Since the book series is actually called A Song of Ice and Fire...I'm assuming there is a great battle brewing between Whitewalkers and Dragons. Assuming also because we've seen dragon bone annihilate a Whitewalker. This is all just based off guesses though.
Actually it's...

Spoiler:
Dragon GLASS, not bone. It's also known as obsidian (which Sam also mentions when they first find it), but is essentially volcanic glass in reality. It can also be found on the island of Dragonstone, which Stannis Baratheon is currently calling home, and which used to be occupied by the Targaryens as their staging ground when they first conquered Westeros . I'm sure that will be something that also comes into play down the road.

Other than that, your guess is a sound one. Consider also, as many book conjectures do, that the "Ice" and "Fire" may also have a double meaning as people. Which two, I'll leave for you to make guess about. Still, the term has multiple possible meanings, including one character"s supposed possible parentage, and that's all I'm saying, as that's just speculation, too.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 04-29-14 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't read any of the books, but the characters in the know on the show have told us this. From very early on, we see this 700 foot high (that's more than 2 football fields high) manmade wall that goes from sea to shining sea because what's North of it is that bad. And not just the wildlings. Periodically, characters have made various comments about what's up there, including some thoughts (hopes?) that it's basically fairytale. But it isn't.

The whole concept of the Night's Watch is we'll forget allegiances, crimes, social standing, or whatever. Just join the Night's Watch. Because we're not screwing around here. It won't matter who is sitting on the Iron Throne if the wall is breached. That's not me talking. That's what we've been told.

All the threats are "real", but some are more significant to mankind than others.
Old 04-29-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Actually it's...

Spoiler:
Dragon GLASS, not bone. It's also known as obsidian (which Sam also mentions when they first find it), but is essentially volcanic glass in reality. It can also be found on the island of Dragonstone, which Stannis Baratheon is currently calling home, and which used to be occupied by the Targaryens as their staging ground when they first conquered Westeros . I'm sure that will be something that also comes into play down the road.

Other than that, your guess is a sound one. Consider also, as many book conjectures do, that the "Ice" and "Fire" may also have a double meaning as people. Which two, I'll leave for you to make guess about. Still, the term has multiple possible meanings, including one character"s supposed possible parentage, and that's all I'm saying, as that's just speculation, too.
Spoiler:
My mistake, I thought, like so many people and things in this series, Dragon Glass was just another term for bone for some reason. Makes far more sense though considering how glass-like the dagger that Sam had seemed. I've watched this show obsessively, as well as the featurettes and other bonuses on the Blu-ray sets, so that's where a lot of my guesses tend to stem from. I feel like there's a lot of context in the old stories the characters tell, especially anything about the Targaryens and Old Valyria before the Doom.

Unfortunately, I do know the two whom you reference just from a lot of open conjecture from book readers in these threads, but then again, from what I hear, it's all just educated guessing. I do love how this show has taken a turn from the books from what they say, so hopefully there are a lot of surprised in store for us, so far they've been able to deliver coherently shocking moments again and again.
Old 04-29-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is Mother of Dragons keeping her army afloat? This can't possible last with so many slaves.
Old 04-29-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
My mistake, I thought, like so many people and things in this series, Dragon Glass was just another term for bone for some reason. Makes far more sense though considering how glass-like the dagger that Sam had seemed. I've watched this show obsessively, as well as the featurettes and other bonuses on the Blu-ray sets, so that's where a lot of my guesses tend to stem from. I feel like there's a lot of context in the old stories the characters tell, especially anything about the Targaryens and Old Valyria before the Doom.

Unfortunately, I do know the two whom you reference just from a lot of open conjecture from book readers in these threads, but then again, from what I hear, it's all just educated guessing. I do love how this show has taken a turn from the books from what they say, so hopefully there are a lot of surprised in store for us, so far they've been able to deliver coherently shocking moments again and again.
Agreed.
Old 04-29-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by zuffy
How is Mother of Dragons keeping her army afloat? This can't possible last with so many slaves.
Does Dany even have the desire to sit on the Iron Throne? I know she's talked about it in the past, but it seems she's far more interested in freeing slaves in Essos than in anything that's happening in Westeros. Two seasons ago she was looking for boats to cross the Narrow Sea, but it's been a long time since she's even mentioned that, I think. I don't know what her end-game is any more. Unlike Tywin, for example (or even her late brother), she doesn't seem that driven by family pride and honor to rule. Bram's vision of a dragon shadow over King's Landing certainly implies an invasion by her people, but I never get the feeling that's what she's after anymore.
Old 04-29-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I keep hearing George Steinbrenner singing this episode's title.
Old 04-29-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I haven't read any of the books, but the characters in the know on the show have told us this. From very early on, we see this 700 foot high (that's more than 2 football fields high) manmade wall that goes from sea to shining sea because what's North of it is that bad. And not just the wildlings. Periodically, characters have made various comments about what's up there, including some thoughts (hopes?) that it's basically fairytale. But it isn't.

The whole concept of the Night's Watch is we'll forget allegiances, crimes, social standing, or whatever. Just join the Night's Watch. Because we're not screwing around here. It won't matter who is sitting on the Iron Throne if the wall is breached. That's not me talking. That's what we've been told.

All the threats are "real", but some are more significant to mankind than others.
I always thought the last couple novels would deal with Winter coming, and then the Ice Zombies would come down and invade everybody, and then the Fire Dragons would fight them, and then whoever GRRM wanted to win would win.
Old 04-29-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

"’Winter is Coming’ – and Glacial Art intend to be part of the big freeze."
Spoiler:
Matt and Mat look on as Michelle MacLaren directs the King of White Walkers
Old 04-29-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

White walkers look like emaciated Frost Giants from Asgard.

I too think that the outcome of the series can be guessed by the overall "Song of Ice and Fire". It makes sense with the more one learns and thinks.

In terms of Dany
Spoiler:
I think she will do like the books and choose to just rule the lands she has conquered for the time being. Until the time comes that its's obvious Westeros needs her help. She will then unite with Jon Snow to save the world, hence the title of the saga.

Spoilerized even though it's all speculation. You never know.
Old 04-29-14, 06:58 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
White walkers look like emaciated Frost Giants from Asgard.

I too think that the outcome of the series can be guessed by the overall "Song of Ice and Fire". It makes sense with the more one learns and thinks.

In terms of Dany
Spoiler:
I think she will do like the books and choose to just rule the lands she has conquered for the time being. Until the time comes that its's obvious Westeros needs her help. She will then unite with Jon Snow to save the world, hence the title of the saga.

Spoilerized even though it's all speculation. You never know.
I've seen that theory posted in a few places.

Spoiler:

I'm not sure how I feel about that ending..... It makes sense.. but I just don't like the Jon character... As I read the books, I kept finding myself tempted to skim through the chapters at the wall and Jon's POV chapters. The chapters upon chapters spent with him when he "left" the Nights Watch were tedious....

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 04-29-14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Does Dany even have the desire to sit on the Iron Throne? I know she's talked about it in the past, but it seems she's far more interested in freeing slaves in Essos than in anything that's happening in Westeros. Two seasons ago she was looking for boats to cross the Narrow Sea, but it's been a long time since she's even mentioned that, I think. I don't know what her end-game is any more. Unlike Tywin, for example (or even her late brother), she doesn't seem that driven by family pride and honor to rule. Bram's vision of a dragon shadow over King's Landing certainly implies an invasion by her people, but I never get the feeling that's what she's after anymore.
She just asked Mormort or Selmy (I can't remember which) did she have a big enough army (8,000 unsullied, 2,000 second sons) to invade Westeros.
Old 04-29-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't think they're so much "passing" the books, as the show's writers (along with GRRM) are making a more polished final draft of the books that's tighter and more coherent.
I think that's what's happening, too.

This season, number four, will adapt the rest of the third book,"A Storm of Swords," and then seasons five, six, and seven will condense the over-arcing storyline of the final four novels down into a more compact and coherent narrative by dropping all of the new characters and side-stories and resolving the major conflicts (ie, the White Walkers, the war for the Iron Throne, etc.).

You can sort of see them doing this by giving the Edric Storm storyline to Gendry last season. I expect more of the same in the final seasons.
Old 04-30-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
She just asked Mormort or Selmy (I can't remember which) did she have a big enough army (8,000 unsullied, 2,000 second sons) to invade Westeros.
that was a 'next week on'
Old 04-30-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by slop101
Well, we've never been that far north of the wall in the books as we were in the final scene (im assuming we were in THE LAND OF ALWAYS WINTER) so we did pass the books