DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Bates Motel -- "Meltdown" -- 4/21/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/619616-bates-motel-meltdown-4-21-14-a.html)

DJariya 04-21-14 07:13 PM

Bates Motel -- "Meltdown" -- 4/21/14

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...35977660_n.jpg

Episode Synopsis: Romero investigates Miss Watson's murder. Meanwhile, Dylan is presented with a difficult choice; and Norman pushes Norma away.

Episode 8 of 10

skatefan20 04-21-14 10:18 PM

Re: Bates Motel -- "Meltdown" -- 4/21/14

What a nutty mother/son 'breakup'. rotfl Norma bounced back quite nicely in no time - nothing like revenge sex to get back at your son.

:up: Norma trying to mend her relationship with Dylan

Traxan 04-22-14 12:00 AM

I think at this point Norma is more insane than Norman.

And Kathleen is still a one-note act. The only thing stiffer than her acting is me watching her. :D

Shannon Nutt 04-22-14 07:45 AM

You just want to tell poor George to "run!" don't you? No way he makes it out of this season alive. :)

Then again, as first dates go, his ended pretty well. ;)

Gizmo 04-22-14 09:27 AM

I hope they drop the whole drug business next season.

marty888 04-22-14 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 12084743)
I hope they drop the whole drug business next season.

Yes ... please!

Traxan 04-22-14 12:33 PM

No kidding. Massacres like what we just saw do not happen in small towns, and would be national news. Something like that is just another day in El Paso or LA. In rural Oregon? Hell no. And a Romero type would be overwhelmed and likely calling in the state police or FBI at this point just for help.

But it will be there. Kathleen said on Twitter last night she's in all of the remaining episodes, which is two at this point.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-22-14 03:47 PM

And Kathleen is still a one-note act. The only thing stiffer than her acting is me watching her.
It seems like almost everybody except Farmiga and Highmore graduated from the Channing Tatum School of acting in the show.

I hope they drop the drug business too or they focus less on it in season 3.

johnnysd 04-22-14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12085193)
It seems like almost everybody except Farmiga and Highmore graduated from the Channing Tatum School of acting in the show.

I could live without it, but it has been very well integrated into the storyline. I just want more Emma. Oh and Norman is way crazier than Norma (though she is still completely bat-shit nuts)

Mok 04-22-14 08:07 PM

Yes please drop the whole drug story.

PhantomStranger 04-22-14 09:23 PM

I like the Nick Ford character from the drug storyline, everything else from it is not working so well.

Traxan 04-22-14 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12085193)

Nah, Olivia/Emma does well. They just aren't giving her anything to do this season.

Mike86 04-22-14 10:07 PM

Yeah I agree with others that the drug angle of the show is probably overall the show's weakest aspect. I've thought it seemed hokey from the beginning and the only purpose it seems to serve is to give Dylan something to do. I do agree that the Nick Ford character is semi-interesting but I'd prefer if he was just some corrupt businessman or something that has a lot of power he can throw around.

I thought the episode was solid overall though. I liked Norman rebelling against Norma and acting like a dick to her because she won't tell him what she's hiding from him. The weirdness of the relationship they have could be bad in the hands of less capable actors but both Farmiga and Highmore are so great in their roles. I think Norma and Norman are about equally batshit, Norman takes it further maybe but Norma has a dark streak too.

I was skeptical at first when the season started whether or not Norman actually did kill Ms. Watson but it seems like he actually did. Curious to see where him being kidnapped leads. Also curious to find out what will become of the relationship between Dylan and Norma/Norman. I'm guessing that between Norma trying to mend fences with him and Norman being kidnapped they might be on the same page somewhat again soon.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-23-14 02:09 AM

I wonder if Norma molested Norman when he was younger and that is some of the secret stuff Norma withhold from Norman.

PhantomStranger 04-23-14 02:26 PM

I heard interesting speculation on another forum.
Spoiler:
There might be a huge misdirection going on about the sheriff's accusation of Norman having sex with the teacher.

Mike86 04-23-14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12086297)
I heard interesting speculation on another forum.
Spoiler:
There might be a huge misdirection going on about the sheriff's accusation of Norman having sex with the teacher.

Spoiler:
When I watched season one the first time I thought it seemed like the writers were trying to throw a swerve in with Ms. Watson being killed and the audience is supposed to believe that Norman did it. To me it just seemed too obvious but with him having the necklace and the picture and acting all crazy whenever he gets them out to look at I'm not sure. Curious to see if there's more to that storyline.

writer106 04-23-14 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12085536)
I like the Nick Ford character from the drug storyline, everything else from it is not working so well.

I feel the same way. I didn't mind the drug storyline last season either.