Community - Season Finale - "Basic Sandwich" - 4/17/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community - Season Finale - "Basic Sandwich" - 4/17/14

Old 05-13-14, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Community - Season Finale - "Basic Sandwich" - 4/17/14

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post

I have a feeling it was Universal who pushed Fox hard (again) for Mindy to get a Third Season. No doubt it'll probably get a Fourth as well.
The Mindy Project much like The Good Wife and before that 30 Rock does extremely well with people who make over 200K a year in addition to having most of their viewers in the coveted 18-34 female demo. I don't think the studio had to push much at all and the show was likely nowhere near close to the bubble. In terms of how much they can charge for a 30 second spot TMP will make more then the other returning comedies Glee and Brooklyn 9-9 and probably only slightly less then New Girl.
Old 05-13-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
The Mindy Project much like The Good Wife and before that 30 Rock does extremely well with people who make over 200K a year in addition to having most of their viewers in the coveted 18-34 female demo. I don't think the studio had to push much at all and the show was likely nowhere near close to the bubble. In terms of how much they can charge for a 30 second spot TMP will make more then the other returning comedies Glee and Brooklyn 9-9 and probably only slightly less then New Girl.
I'm sure the show was on the Bubble and Universal gave them a nice deal. If it wasn't, Fox wouldn't have given it a 15 episode season vs 22 that New Girl (and I believe B99) did.

Those ad rates and such are just a good excuse for people to use when their favorite show is on the bubble. Much like how Community has so many devoted fans and Nashville makes millions on iTunes sales (LOL).

All of Fox comedies have bombed after Mindy was renewed. It's a weird site. New Girl might as well be on Friday's.

Thanks to Rich, here is what the ad rates were for this Season, Mindy's second. Keep in mind the ratings essentially halved by the seasons end:
[
Spoiler:
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PKMdzYD.jpg[/IMG]

Mindy was doing HALF of New Girl. Mindy was getting the LOWEST ad rates Sunday - Thursday (it beat Friday...yay?).
Old 05-13-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

It is odd, and Mindy has been outdrawing New Girl lately.
Old 05-13-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It is odd, and Mindy has been outdrawing New Girl lately.
Mindy only beat New Girl once (by a .1), the other time it adjusted down (or NG adjusted up) to match. It's Spring, and everything drops. NG was at Dad's level last week. Next Season both will be up, but New Girl will still be beating Mindy. NG is also a Fox owned show so they will see it through to syndication like Raising Hope.

You have to remember, New Girls lead for the past few weeks has been Glee. A show that is pulling Hannibal numbers. It's not going to help New Girl at ALL while Mindy at least has New Girl's audience to help.
Old 05-13-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 527 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I agree that hatred is not apt, but I do think there was a love-hate relationship there. They liked the positive attention the show got. They didn't get the show. If they had a show that engaged people in the same way, they'd have rather had that show. That's why they moved on Harmon like they did -- they tried to make the show what they wanted.
I don't agree with this at all. NBC may not have got the show, but they gave it every chance in the world. The reason Harmon was fired was because he consistently ran over schedule and over budget (and was probably an epic pain in the ass to deal with). It had nothing to do with the content of the show. Just look at season 4. We all assumed that when Port and Guaracio were brought on board it was because Sony/Universal demanded the show be "normalized." Instead, they did the best Harmon impression they could muster. Heck, they even brought Harmon back when they realized the show sucked without him. Sure I wish it had all played out differently, but in this case the "big, bad studio" narrative applies.
Old 05-13-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
It would be funny if Hulu greenlit an animated season six which would solve cost issues, cast availability, and even the realm of believability problems.
I thought about this possibility, not saying it couldn't be done (Clerks was animated), but I kind of agree that there isn't really much more to tell. I mean, the grand story driving all this was Jeff going to college. He went, he graduated, what else is there to say that isn't a repeat?

Redo Season 4 where its actually funny? Sure, but leave the serious character growth stuff as is, because that was the only thing that actually worked.
Old 05-14-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Dan Harmon's letter to fans can be read here.

Anyway, I will not be standing in the way. Iím sorry to anyone thatís really taking this cancellation hard. I know how I felt when these fuckers killed Max Headroom. But you sit back and treat yourself to some New Girl and Parks and Mindy and Brooklyn 99 and Eagleheart and Portlandia and have you seen Matt Berryís Toast of London? Itís awesome. Also not to be selfish but maybe check out Rick and Morty. And let TV be the needy clown that itís still very overpaid to be, and let the suits deal with the suits and see what possibilities exist. Thatís the best we can do for now. Ninety seven episodes. Over eighty pretty good ones. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-14-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Over eighty pretty good ones
Old 05-15-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad he mentioned Eagleheart
Old 05-15-14, 03:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will confess, however, that when Sony called me on Friday with the news, there was brief discussion at the end of the call about the concept of the show living elsewhere
Old 05-15-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched Toast of London recently.

Wish I hadn't.
Old 05-16-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I disagree. The show was given 3 seasons to do whatever they wanted and they were never able to capture an audience. It was put in a favorable time slot around shows with a similar audience.

Yes they fucked up with the 4th season but if Harmon had stayed at the helm I don't think they would have magically gained a big audience.

This is one of the few times where I don't think NBC did too much wrong. They had a show that couldn't gain steam and still gave the hardcore fans 5 seasons.
I don' think that narrative was quite right. I recall the show getting 2 unfettered seasons, the troubles with the network and studio starting early in season 3 and having a big impact on the series from then on. Thursdays at 8 was also not a particularly favorable time slot past when The Big Bang Theory moved into it (season 2 as I recall).

I know NBC was in shit shape when this show came on. What it really needed was a compatible lead in with a large enough audience to get them to really sample it. They didn't have that after the first few seasons of The Office. My argument isn't really focused on NBC depriving the show of an audience, though. It's more an argument about how NBC deprived the audience the show had of consistently great episodes for roughly half of the show's run by interfering.

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I don't agree with this at all. NBC may not have got the show, but they gave it every chance in the world. The reason Harmon was fired was because he consistently ran over schedule and over budget (and was probably an epic pain in the ass to deal with). It had nothing to do with the content of the show. Just look at season 4. We all assumed that when Port and Guaracio were brought on board it was because Sony/Universal demanded the show be "normalized." Instead, they did the best Harmon impression they could muster. Heck, they even brought Harmon back when they realized the show sucked without him. Sure I wish it had all played out differently, but in this case the "big, bad studio" narrative applies.
I'm not saying they failed to give the show a chance, although frankly there were ways (like Internet buzz) where Community was one of the very best things going for NBC during the time it was on. If they loved the show and got it, the delays and overruns wouldn't be nearly such a big deal. I think P&G came in and realized they had to try to channel Harmon because they were smarter than the people who put them in place. Once the suits saw that and saw the result, they decided to swallow and put Harmon back in.

So to address you both, I'm not saying evil NBC as much as I'm saying NBC made some bad calls here. I get that even if this aired after Seinfeld back in the day it probably wouldn't have caught on.
Old 05-16-14, 10:08 AM

Received 527 Likes on 370 Posts

The show went from 7.89 million viewers for it's series premiere to 3.32 million for the season 2 finale. If NBC wasn't such a trainwreck, the show would have never gotten picked up for a season 3. If NBC wanted to make some changes, I don't blame them.

That said, other than briefly being removed from the schedule during season 3, how exactly did NBC interfere with the show? The back half of season 3 featured some of the least accessible, batshit insane stuff they ever did, so there couldn't have been too much creative interference.

I suppose it might have helped to move the show away from Big Bang Theory, but is there really that much crossover in the two audiences? I'm sure there are people that love BBT (and must watch it live) and were only casual fans of Community, but would casual fans of the show really stick around through stuff like Virtual Systems Analysis or Curriculum Unavailable, regardless of timeslot? The fact that the show had the same timeslot throughout it's entire run is actually kind of amazing if you ask me.

If NBC was guilty of anything it was not understanding that Nielsen Ratings are an archaic measuring stick by which to judge a show's popularity. However, that's probably true of every network. Maybe if the show came out 10 years from now and the networks have figured out a way to measure and monetize a show's true audience, it would be a huge runaway hit. Who's to say. I think the bottom line is that a show like this that draws so much of its energy/identity from a singular personality is bound to have a limited creative shelf life. It's time.
Old 05-16-14, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just annoyed the series isn't on Blu-ray. I'm not paying for a physical copy that looks worse than the show did on my DVR.
Old 05-16-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
So to address you both, I'm not saying evil NBC as much as I'm saying NBC made some bad calls here. I get that even if this aired after Seinfeld back in the day it probably wouldn't have caught on.
That's fair. I think anytime you have a show that is widely considered 'good' but never gets an audience, there is usually some blame to put on the network. I just think we've seen networks fuck up shows way worse than anything NBC did to Community.
Old 05-16-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno View Post
I'm just annoyed the series isn't on Blu-ray. I'm not paying for a physical copy that looks worse than the show did on my DVR.
Yep, I'd buy a blu-ray series set in an instant.
Old 05-16-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show went from 7.89 million viewers for it's series premiere to 3.32 million for the season 2 finale. If NBC wasn't such a trainwreck, the show would have never gotten picked up for a season 3. If NBC wanted to make some changes, I don't blame them.
I think this actually answers your Big Bang Theory Question. The premiere obviously featured outsized ratings, but look at the S1 finale vs. the S2 finale. It lost a quarter of that audience even though season 2 is clearly the strongest season creatively.

That said, other than briefly being removed from the schedule during season 3, how exactly did NBC interfere with the show? The back half of season 3 featured some of the least accessible, batshit insane stuff they ever did, so there couldn't have been too much creative interference.
The reason as I recall that the show went down that road is the network/studio were trying to fuck with the show and Harmon was fucking with them right back. That is after all pretty much why they booted him at the end of that year.

I suppose it might have helped to move the show away from Big Bang Theory, but is there really that much crossover in the two audiences?
*Raises hand*

I am possibly on the very very very very very very fringe of the autism spectrum. If I'm not, I have known enough people who are social but Aspy that I'm kind of a kindred spirit of these folks. The best two examples on modern network TV of young adult persons who are Aspy are Abed Nadir and Sheldon Cooper. I would say I'm a guy who loves Community and that I'm a much more casual fan of BBT, but I can understand how it would go the other way.

If NBC was guilty of anything it was not understanding that Nielsen Ratings are an archaic measuring stick by which to judge a show's popularity. However, that's probably true of every network. Maybe if the show came out 10 years from now and the networks have figured out a way to measure and monetize a show's true audience, it would be a huge runaway hit. Who's to say. I think the bottom line is that a show like this that draws so much of its energy/identity from a singular personality is bound to have a limited creative shelf life. It's time.
I think actually the networks and in particular NBC are doing a better job of this than I ever expected them to. Then again, I think if they had Community starting out this fall instead of back then they'd indeed handle it better and find a way for it to be more successful. Community probably helped teach NBC some good lessons that other missed opportunities during better times did not.
Old 05-17-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The back half of season 3 featured some of the least accessible, batshit insane stuff they ever did, so there couldn't have been too much creative interference.
The phony clip show was genius. As soon as I saw that I knew it was a parody of all those lame clip episodes from 80's shows.

And I can understand the "Ken Burns" one being missed by a ton, I like to think people would have got the "Law & Order" ep, that one was really spot on.

"The First Chang Dynasty" Goth Britta Nuff said.
Old 05-17-14, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
The phony clip show was genius. As soon as I saw that I knew it was a parody of all those lame clip episodes from 80's shows.

And I can understand the "Ken Burns" one being missed by a ton, I like to think people would have got the "Law & Order" ep, that one was really spot on.

"The First Chang Dynasty" Goth Britta Nuff said.
Basic Lupine Urology (Law & Order episode) was the most spot-on and entertaining parody of anything I've ever seen.
Old 05-17-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My in-laws are huge "Law & Order" fans, so the introductory "Community" ep I show them is going to be that one. I was pretty amazed how spot on pretty much everything was. Lighting, character mannerisms, all of it was 100% spot on Law & Order.

After that episode, my wife wants them to see "Fistful of Paintballs".
Old 05-28-14, 09:01 PM

Received 2,758 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Dan Harmon's cult comedy Community could actually achieve its goal of #SixSeasonsAndAMovie.

Hulu and Community producers Sony Pictures Television are in talks for a sixth season of the comedy series, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The news comes weeks after NBC canceled the community college comedy after five seasons.

"You can't get to six seasons and a movie without six seasons," Sony Pictures Television co-president Jamie Erlicht told THR on May 14, a week after NBC canceled the series. "We, more than any other studios, fight for shows that we believe in. This show had a remarkable history. There are real conversations we need to have with everyone as soon as we get back. We've been on the receiving end of some phone calls, but we really need to get together with the Community team and have real conversations and figure out the future. If there's any show that should have a future or could have a future, it really feels like Community is the one."

Added SPT co-president Zack Van Amburg: "If Dan Harmon feels that this is the darkest timeline, then we'll figure out very quickly how to turn that around. So we need to get to our partner and we've had some really interesting conversations and a few incoming phone calls, which was really nice."

A Community revival would not be out of the question considering the show's constant near-cancellation status over its five-season run. SPT packaged Community with The Blacklist and helped get a fifth season pickup at NBC despite sagging ratings. For its part, Hulu airs current episodes of the series the day after their original broadcast, with Community ranking as one of the site's best performing TV series.

The recently concluded, Harmon-helmed fifth season averaged a 1.1 in the adults 18-49 demo and 3 million total viewers, both off slightly versus season four. But with DVR factored in, the series grew to a 1.5 rating and 3.7 million total viewers -- both modest upticks for a show that was used as a midseason replacement for the second time.

The series did not seem to immediately benefit from Comedy Central's launch of the show in syndication, which started in the fall before its midseason bow on NBC.

Harmon, meanwhile, addressed the show's future a week after its cancellation in a lengthy blog post.

The outspoken showrunner -- who was replaced for Community's fourth season -- admitted to feeling "eh" at first when studio SPT floated the idea about Community living elsewhere: "For a million reasons, some selfish, some creative, one logistic, five sexual, three racist (in a good way) and, oddly, nine isometric." But after several days, Harmon promised that he "won’t be lukewarm" about a revival should it become a serious conversation. "I said ‘eh’ on a Friday afternoon, I will change it to a ‘sure, let’s talk’ on Monday morning and Sony can do their thing,” he wrote. “I’m not going to be the guy that re-cancels canceled Community.”

Harmon was careful to temper fan expectations about a Community return. "I’m scared to tell you how little a difference I think my enthusiasm will make," he wrote. "I know fandom, when it gets this deep for this long, becomes almost religious, including the urge to stone the less than faithful. But there are lots of reasons a Community resurrection could be difficult. So be prepared for that."

Community has been a perennial bubble series during the course of its five-season run. The series was one of only two comedies to return to NBC's schedule for the 2014-15 season (Parks and Recreation was the other). NBC's decision to cancel Community left Parks as its longest-running comedy heading into the 2014-15 season. (That series, like Community, was held back for midseason, where the series will bow out with a 13-episode final run.)

For their part, Harmon and the cast have been vocal about the possibility of a sixth-season pickup. Speaking at PaleyFest in March, star Joel McHale joked: "We know there's going to be a sixth season or else you'll probably show up with pitchforks and torches," with Harmon saying the only thing weirder than getting a sixth season "would be not getting a sixth season."

Meanwhile, Harmon's animated Adult Swim comedy Rick and Morty already has been renewed for a second season.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...d-sixth-707794
Old 05-28-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Gillian Jacobs already signed on to Girls on HBO. Unless some BS contract loophole keeps her tied to Community, I don't think she will come back.
Old 05-28-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Gillian Jacobs already signed on to Girls on HBO. Unless some BS contract loophole keeps her tied to Community, I don't think she will come back.
I doubt she'll be a lead on Girls, and even if she is, after they're written they shoot each season of Girls super quick; like in just a month or two. There's absolutely no way she couldn't do both if she didn't want to.
Old 05-29-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
There's absolutely no way she couldn't do both if she didn't want to.
That's, like, a lot of negativity, bro...
Old 05-29-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Aweee. I was looking forward to the Dogme 95 version.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.