Community - Season Finale - "Basic Sandwich" - 4/17/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community - Season Finale - "Basic Sandwich" - 4/17/14

Old 05-09-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Community - Season Finale - "Basic Sandwich" - 4/17/14

Originally Posted by DJariya
The show has definitely run it's course. I mean it's about a Community college (a 2 year institution)
If "good sense" was a reason to cancel a show, M.A.S.H. would have been cancelled after 3 years because that's how long the Korean War lasted.

I don't understand people who come into threads and post shit like this. If you don't like it DON'T WATCH IT. I don't go into the Simpsons thread and continually post "Why don't they cancel this already!? It's awful." I stopped watching it and LET IT GO. There are many fans who still love it and want more.
Old 05-09-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
If "good sense" was a reason to cancel a show, M.A.S.H. would have been cancelled after 3 years because that's how long the Korean War lasted.

I don't understand people who come into threads and post shit like this. If you don't like it DON'T WATCH IT. I don't go into the Simpsons thread and continually post "Why don't they cancel this already!? It's awful." I stopped watching it and LET IT GO. There are many fans who still love it and want more.
Oh Geez, I've watched Community since Day 1 and own all the DVDs. I'm a fan of the show and watched even the unspectacular season 4 and all the Dan Harmon shit.

I wasn't directly criticizing the premise. I just think creatively it''s run it's course with what they had to work with. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

I'm sure they won't say it publicly, but I think McHale, Brie, Jacobs are all looking forward to moving on to bigger and better projects. I think Brie will do really well doing comedy features and maybe on another series in the future. She really emerged as a star from this series.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-09-14 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Would've been cool if this season had just 3 more episodes, so the final total number of episodes for the show would've been 100 instead of 97.
Old 05-09-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't understand why you feel people who have watched and supported the show can't voice any displeasure about the last couple seasons. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone being content about the show ending just because you and others want more.

I felt the same negativity from you earlier in this thread too just because I didn't love this season. Doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan of the show earlier on or supported it less..
Old 05-09-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I too have seen every episode since the pilot first aired. It wasn't time to drop it, but this last season wasn't much of an improvement over the one before. I think I'm allowed to say that I'm okay with it being over. I've definitely put in the time.
Old 05-09-14, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Isn't 5 Seasons enough? The show has nearly 100 episodes. How badly do you want to keep these people locked to this show? How many cast members have left?

If I was a cast member I would be annoyed if I had to be locked into a contract on a cable or VOD network. I'm sure McHale would be pissed if CBS was considering him for the late slot as well...
Old 05-09-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think as long as the people who can make or break this (McHale, Harmon, maybe a few others) want to do more Community the odds are there will be a few more episodes and possible even a "movie", both to fulfill 6 and a movie and to wrap up story as fan service. If people are motivated enough to do it cheaply enough, the world is full of people who will pay these days. Fuck, if Bezos or Hastings are big fans they could almost throw it up on Amazon Instant or Netflix as a pure vanity addition.

If this were a year later and Aereo had already won the Supreme Court case we sure as hell better hope they win, I could see them move to massively expand their service nearly nationwide and to launch some VOD type original content like a Community season as a sweetener to get people to subscribe.
Old 05-09-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh I'll miss seeing Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie every week but I think the show ran it's course. I think they were starting to go a little creatively bankrupt since it's hard to maintain that wackiness and not either run out of ideas or get too wacky.
Old 05-09-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robin2099
Eh I'll miss seeing Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie every week but I think the show ran it's course.
Is it too early for a In Memoriam Annie Edison thread that contains nothing but gif awesomeness?
Old 05-10-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I really enjoyed this season and even though it was nowhere near as good as 1-3, it was a huge improvement over season 4. At least the show didn't end after that godawful dreck and we got a true final season.

I'll agree with the last few posters. Season 4 aside, it was a good run. I'm fine with NBC putting it out to pasture.
Old 05-10-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The great thing is, if it does get renewed, no one is forcing you to watch it. Just do what I did with X-Files and pretend that the season finale of the last season you enjoyed is the series finale. Problem solved!

You're welcome.
I'm sorry, I forgot everyone had to have the same feeling about the show as you.

And you're saying that people who say less than perfect things about shows are terrible people. You know who are the terrible ones? The ones who *never* say a bad thing about a show or an episode. The ones that never say an episode is uneven, or that this character was underused/overused, plot was recycled, etc. Those people say "yeah its the best show ever!" every week, and they seem like they truly don't give a shit about the show. They don't want the show to be the best, they just want the show to be on their TV every week, and nothing more.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't buy that for a second. Yes, season 5 didn't live up to the earlier seasons, but it was still an improvement over season 4. I think there are a few main reasons for the decline:

1. The show was renewed and Harmon brought back so late in the game last year that they had to put together a writing staff after most tv writers had already found jobs for the upcoming season. And there was almost no carryover from previous seasons.

2. I know some people were glad to see Pierce go, but the fact still remains that two of the main cast were gone this season and that can be hard to overcome. The loss of Troy really hurt if for no other reason than it made Abed almost completely insufferable.

3. The show's entire run was building towards the fourth season. That should have been the final season. Story wise there was nowhere else for it to go and season 3 proved that show was starting to run out of steam. That was painfully obvious in season 5. Harmon was back, but there was basically nothing left to say about these characters.

Reason #3 is why I'll always resent season 4. Harmon should have had the chance to tell those stories. Maybe he didn't deserve that chance and maybe it wouldn't have been any good, but at least we'd know for sure. Instead it's just a great big what if.
I think your points are all pretty spot on. Harmon should have had season 4 to tell what he wanted, but NBC did what they did. I had plenty of people tell me that S4 was terrible trash, but I decided to watch it for myself and decide on my own how I feel about it. I don't think season 4 was a funny season, which is terrible for a comedy series. This is probably the reason why I find some of the more serious episodes/moments (Jeff meeting his dad, Troy & Britta breaking up, Abed's prequel story) to be some of the better episodes.

The problem with the season 4 finale was that it was fan wank nonsense. What are the two most popular episodes? Modern Ware and Chaos Theory? How about we do a mash-up of those two despite the fact that we've already beaten both concepts into the ground? Great idea! Or maybe not. The fact that Megan Ganz is credited with that episode makes me really sad.
I kind of struggled with how I felt about the episode because that evil versions stuff is pure Abed. It really wasn't very Jeff-like, but then we got the GI Joe episode, which also seemed not particularlyJeff-like either. But the GI Jeff episode was actually funny, and full of satire. The season 4 finale had Gillian and Alison looking hot (fine by me), but doesn't actually make up for the rest of the episode.
Old 05-10-14, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
And you're saying that people who say less than perfect things about shows are terrible people. You know who are the terrible ones? The ones who *never* say a bad thing about a show or an episode. The ones that never say an episode is uneven, or that this character was underused/overused, plot was recycled, etc. Those people say "yeah its the best show ever!" every week, and they seem like they truly don't give a shit about the show. They don't want the show to be the best, they just want the show to be on their TV every week, and nothing more.
That's the mentality that begets... bad Community is still better than 99% of other shows on tv.

Worst hyperbolic phrase ever invented and used far too often on this forum.
Old 05-10-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Damn. I think that Parks and Rec slipped a little. I've been watching it here-and-there.

For awhile, Thursday night NBC was the best.

30 Rock
Community
Parks and Rec
The Office

I wonder how long they'll take to figure out some new really good shows for us dorks who require something better than throw-away sitcom junk.
Old 05-10-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Also: I look forward to Dan Harmon's ultra low-budget Season 6 and a movie. I think he'll figure something out and really do it.
Old 05-11-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NBC hated this show like it was a Jewish village and they were Tsarist Russia. sad to see their pogrom was successful and they were able to enact their Final Solution to the Community question.
Old 05-11-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is Newsradio for this era. It's a show that is amazing compared to what is around it that got mistreated by the network at least to a certain degree. They meddled in creative a lot more with Community, but they meddled with Newsradio more when it came to time slot. If the powers that be had given Newsradio the type of consistent airing and scheduling Community got, it could have been enormous.

That's the other difference between the shows. Newsradio was very accessible. It could have been a hit. Community is much less accessible and I must admit the superior show (when it had Harmon and was really working).

What is apparently common to the two is that NBC didn't know what the fuck they had and look foolish in hindsight.
Old 05-11-14, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
NBC hated this show like it was a Jewish village and they were Tsarist Russia. sad to see their pogrom was successful and they were able to enact their Final Solution to the Community question.
Umm, ok.

They hated the show so much they let it live 5 Seasons.

Yet they cancelled several other shows they owned which would have made them money in syndication like Whitney. Right. If you say so.
Old 05-11-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Umm, ok.

They hated the show so much they let it live 5 Seasons.

Yet they cancelled several other shows they owned which would have made them money in syndication like Whitney. Right. If you say so.
Whitney wouldn't have ever made money in syndication. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I agree that hatred is not apt, but I do think there was a love-hate relationship there. They liked the positive attention the show got. They didn't get the show. If they had a show that engaged people in the same way, they'd have rather had that show. That's why they moved on Harmon like they did -- they tried to make the show what they wanted.
Old 05-11-14, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Whitney wouldn't have ever made money in syndication. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
And yet 'Til Death is syndicated and is making money for Sony. A show that Fox pulled in Season Two, renewed for Season Three, aired some Season two episodes in Season Three, pulled again, renewed for a Fourth Season and when finally canceled still had about 15 unaired episodes spanning three Seasons. Oh, and the daughter was recast twice! That is at the perfect example of a studio trying to get a show enough episodes for Syndication and being successful. Disclaimer: I liked 'Til Death. I'd rather watch that over Everybody Loves Raymond (which is what Sony was hoping to pair this show with in Syndication).

Yes, Whitney would have made NBC some money. Just because it dons't air in America doesn't mean it won't overseas. I have a feeling it was Universal who pushed Fox hard (again) for Mindy to get a Third Season. No doubt it'll probably get a Fourth as well.
Old 05-12-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Sad that it's going, but it's not been NEARLY the show it was since season three. I liked season five more than some, I think, but without Troy it is definitely not what it used to be. If NBC was making me choose, I'm glad they're keeping Parks and Rec around for one more season instead.
Old 05-12-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Also: I look forward to Dan Harmon's ultra low-budget Season 6 and a movie. I think he'll figure something out and really do it.
Just because Harmon wants to do an ultra low budget Community doesn't mean the cast does. Let's see how much of the cast is willing to take a huge pay cut, ignore other offers just to do one last season of the show.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
What is apparently common to the two is that NBC didn't know what the fuck they had and look foolish in hindsight.
I disagree. The show was given 3 seasons to do whatever they wanted and they were never able to capture an audience. It was put in a favorable time slot around shows with a similar audience.

Yes they fucked up with the 4th season but if Harmon had stayed at the helm I don't think they would have magically gained a big audience.

This is one of the few times where I don't think NBC did too much wrong. They had a show that couldn't gain steam and still gave the hardcore fans 5 seasons.
Old 05-12-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the mentality that begets... bad Community is still better than 99% of other shows on tv.

Worst hyperbolic phrase ever invented and used far too often on this forum.
I read those comments and think that person can't be bothered to look for other shows to watch.
Old 05-12-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I want a 6 episode season 6 where the crew all go on Rick and Morty-esque adventures. Then a movie where the show more or less implodes on itself.
Old 05-12-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

It would be funny if Hulu greenlit an animated season six which would solve cost issues, cast availability, and even the realm of believability problems.

There are also more unorthodoxed methods like the continuation of Buffy The Vampire Slayer in comic book form.
Old 05-13-14, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As someone who's been watching since day one, I am perfectly okay with the decision to cancel. The show has really gone downhill in quality in the last two seasons (not to mention cast members leaving), and I doubt it would have recovered. The whole "save Greendale" plotline will make a decent finale, IMO, since the story wasn't left hanging.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.