TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons- Days of Future Future- 4/13/2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
The Simpsons- Days of Future Future- 4/13/2014

Synopsis:

In a future world, Homer receives a new clone every time he dies; Lisa is married to Milhouse, who's a zombie; and Bart has custody problems with ex-wife, Jenda.

Season 25, Episode 18
This could be an interesting episode, the show has had a couple episodes set in the future that I've enjoyed.
Old 04-13-14, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Simpsons- Days of Future Future- 4/13/2014

I have to admit that when I was going through my guide last night setting recordings, despite not having watched this in years it caught my eye - not in a good way, either. Wtf? I can only pray if I'd been watching it this would make more sense/not seem like a show that is rudderless and long past it's prime. I'm familiar with the future glimpses somewhat - this sounded like a Treehouse of Horror episode. Wtf?

Milhouse... is a zombie? Homer dies continually and gets cloned every time? ... ... ... Wow. Wow. So not only are we riffing on Walking Dead and South Park/Kenny, they're now so out of ideas they're using Treehouse of Horror scripts during the rest of the season? Wow.
Old 04-13-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Episodes like this aren't a common occurrence aside from the Treehouse of Horror episodes. This just sounds like a one off future "what if" type episode and I think it could be fun. The show is past it's prime but the last few seasons or so are better than people who constantly bitch about the show give them credit for.
Old 04-13-14, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Episodes like this aren't a common occurrence aside from the Treehouse of Horror episodes. This just sounds like a one off future "what if" type episode and I think it could be fun. The show is past it's prime but the last few seasons or so are better than people who constantly bitch about the show give them credit for.
Like I say, I openly admit it's been a while since I watched this (Aside from the Sideshow Bob ep earlier this season, which proved to me I'd made the right decision dropping this.)

I hate to be one of those bashing a show they don't even watch, and really wouldn't have had a problem with any part of the plot summary (Even Cloned Homer). But... Lisa. Married. To Milhouse. Who is a zombie...?

I cannot imagine what business that has in anything but a Treehouse, sure as hell nothing futurist about zombies. All the worse, the timing/Walking Dead popularity makes it seem blatant in ripping off popular themes. And it makes absolutely no - zero, nada, zilch - sense, even based on a couple of the 'future' eps I've either watched or read about.
Old 04-13-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I liked the nonsensical Mad Men preview.
Old 04-13-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me be the first to say: Simpsons Did It!
Old 04-14-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

not as bad as last week's episode - but I agree with others here - this seemed like a Treehouse episode.

I didn't get where they were going with Homer dying, then a being cloned over and over again.

It was kind of fun seeing Nelson pick up chicks in the bar, and the parody of theme park 'animal themed shows' (it was spot on - with the $1 bill and bird trick)
Old 04-14-14, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Like I say, I openly admit it's been a while since I watched this (Aside from the Sideshow Bob ep earlier this season, which proved to me I'd made the right decision dropping this.)

I hate to be one of those bashing a show they don't even watch, and really wouldn't have had a problem with any part of the plot summary (Even Cloned Homer). But... Lisa. Married. To Milhouse. Who is a zombie...?

I cannot imagine what business that has in anything but a Treehouse, sure as hell nothing futurist about zombies. All the worse, the timing/Walking Dead popularity makes it seem blatant in ripping off popular themes. And it makes absolutely no - zero, nada, zilch - sense, even based on a couple of the 'future' eps I've either watched or read about.
If you actually watch the episode, he becomes a zombie in the episode, well after they're married.
Old 04-14-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I enjoyed this episode. The Simpsons have been on so long any thread of realistic continuity has been lost, so I like it when they plug the characters into different settings/time (I wish they would do more Bible episodes, and the history ones I like too).

Not digging the animation this year. I've watched the last three episodes and while the characters are fine, something is off with the background objects. Like the proportions on the cars and houses look wrong. I know the show is no longer hand drawn, but I don't like the direction things are heading.
Old 04-14-14, 03:23 PM

Zombie Milhouse was much more interesting than regular Milhouse. Also enjoyed Officer Ralph Wiggum responding to the 'owie' in progress. "yay, I'm fighting crime!"
Old 04-14-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this episode for the most part. The only kind of meh bit to me was the endless clones of Homer. I like the episodes that aren't necessarily set in the normal Simpsons universe too and these future episodes they do now and again are kind of fun I think. I liked the Total Recall reference and zombie Milhouse was pretty good too.
Old 04-15-14, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

This episode spoofed so many Arnold movies. The 6th Day (Homer being cloned over and over again), Total Recall and Terminator.
Old 04-15-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Watch the episode, "Lisa's Wedding" and watch this episode, and you can see a chasm-sized, dramatic difference between the Classic Simpsons and Current Simpsons.
Old 04-15-14, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by PatD
Watch the episode, "Lisa's Wedding" and watch this episode, and you can see a chasm-sized, dramatic difference between the Classic Simpsons and Current Simpsons.
True, but I'd say this one was way better than the one with Lisa being president in the future.

Probably on par with "Future Drama", where Homer has moved into an underwater apartment I believe.
Old 04-15-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course the show is going to change over the course of nineteen years and various show runners and writers. I will agree the show isn't in it's prime anymore but I think a lot of people just can never get past what they view as the classic years and continue to bash the show as it currently is no matter what. For being on for twenty-five seasons I think the show is still fairly strong overall.
Old 04-15-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I felt this was a pretty bad episode, and I've actually liked most of the recent seasons. These type of future glimpses used to have some purpose. Here it felt like a random bunch of one-off gags thrown together. Anyone know if they aired this season in production order, or did Fox air the better episodes earlier in the broadcast season? It sure seems like a Fox executive saved the poor ones for a non-Sweeps period.
Old 04-15-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I felt this was a pretty bad episode, and I've actually liked most of the recent seasons. These type of future glimpses used to have some purpose. Here it felt like a random bunch of one-off gags thrown together. Anyone know if they aired this season in production order, or did Fox air the better episodes earlier in the broadcast season? It sure seems like a Fox executive saved the poor ones for a non-Sweeps period.
The show never airs in strict production order. But they usually air very close to it. They do hold back shows at times. For instance, they still have 2 episodes from the previous production cycle that haven't aired (one airs on May 4 as the 550th episode, the other doesn't have a date yet).
Old 04-16-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I wasn't too enamored with this one either. Just seemed rather mish mash. A lot of the episodes have been this way this season actually.
Old 04-16-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, the show's not as good as it was 15 years ago, but it's WAY better than it was 8 years ago.