Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Californication -- Season Premiere -- "Levon" -- 4/13/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-13-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

After blowing every chance at love & happiness -- and burning every bridge in Hollywood -- Hank Moody is finally ready to put the past to bed. But as always, old indiscretions turn up to bite him squarely in the ass. Could it be too late to pull off a happy ending? Golden Globe® winner David Duchovny returns in a new season of CALIFORNICATION.

12 episode final season. I'm sure most of you are glad this is finally ending. It should have ended after season 4.

Preview:

Old 04-13-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Californication -- Season Premiere -- "Levon" -- 4/13/14

I'll stick with the final 12.
Old 04-13-14, 09:54 AM

So... we'll have no Hank progression, back and forth between Hank and Karen, embarrassing situations from Runkle, lots of vulgarity from the little Smurf, a strained relationship with Becca, some tits, some ass, and we'll shut it down!

Well... I'm still in.
Old 04-13-14, 11:39 AM

Haters be damned, I've always looked forward to this show every year - have some been weak? Absolutely. But it's my Runkle fix, who I loved on It's Like, You Know... way back when. And Hank Moody, love him or hate him, is unlike any other character on TV. He's Don Draper if Don Draper did a ton of drugs. I just can't believe this is season 7! Where have the years gone? It's scary to think that Duchovny's post-X-Files project isn't just ending, but ending at season 7.

You either enjoy this show for what it is, or hate it with a passion - it's remained remarkably consistent over the years (read: no major changes/back to square one; and vulgarly vulgar.) Me? I can't wait - I just got pissed they didn't do what they have in years past, which is screen next week's episodes a week early on demand. I'm to assume that even after the premiere, that practice is a dead as a dodo this season?
Old 04-13-14, 02:08 PM

Looking forward to it as always. Don't want it to end.
Old 04-13-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't be shocked if it gets good enough ratings for Showtime to change their mind a renew it for another year.
Old 04-13-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if it gets good enough ratings for Showtime to change their mind a renew it for another year.
Not possible. David Duchovny already signed on for a new show. They wrapped filming season 7 8 months ago.
Old 04-13-14, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Not possible. David Duchovny already signed on for a new show. They wrapped filming season 7 8 months ago.
Well that sure sucks. Partially for this show, as I agree, it could've been a candidate for resurrection. Showtime really doesn't have any *huge* hit on their hands of late, especially comedy-wise: House of Lies has the starpower, but hasn't ever been the wild success Monday morning water cooler show ala HBO. Nurse Jackie... I'm amazed it's still pumping out new shows.

But I'm even sadder to hear that vis-a-vis the X-Files... Anderson has Crisis now, and Duchovny is starting another new show? I've silently hoped that perhaps, just perhaps, the X-Files could've been a candidate itself for resurrection from TV death care of a Netflix/Amazon partnership with Fox; especially as of late with the surge in fantastical fiction with supernatural/paranormal bents. I'd like my 2012 payoff (alien conspiracy invasion mythos) via big-budget film just because they built it up so much, but a Monster of the Week grounded in 'reality' today with Anderson and Duchovny as leads, a decent budget and new talent, advances in CG and effects over the last decade combined with the creative independence offered by a Netflix/Amazon and/or uncensored/adult content unburdened by networks and FCC standards...?

I'd always felt like the short episode orders and long gaps between seasons for Californication made such a scenario more possible, whether in the form of a film or a short burst of new episodes taking off on the 24 model. So doubly sad - to lose Californication, and for Duchovny to move on to another show that'll certainly be more demanding of his time than a dozen half hour episodes once every 13-15 months.

Last edited by Coladar1; 04-13-14 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 07:22 PM

I'm still in... I thought last season was an improvement and of course Maggie Grace certainly helped.
Old 04-14-14, 06:46 AM

Well that didn't take long for a Creek alumn.
Old 04-14-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty boring premiere to be perfectly honest. Mostly just the same old crap between Hank and Karen.

I know the writers goal is inevitably get them back together, but the show sucks with them as a couple. Hank Moody is only interesting when he's boozing it up and sleeping with girls half his age.

I think Tom Kapinos and his writers must have been running on fumes for ideas to give Hank a bastard son.

So Hank is trying to be a TV writer now? can you say train wreck again?

Was Becca in the opening credits? I didn't notice her. I'm cool if she disappears until the finale.
Old 04-15-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In merely for closure.

Hank and Karen part 1,425. When people criticize will they/won't they Ross/Rachel or Ted/Robin thing (and I do), I just point them to Hank/Karen. It never ends.

Bastard son. Not sure why it took this long to come up with that idea. It was obvious right from the start with his line of questioning that it's where it was going.
Old 04-15-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The premiere was just OK, but I thought the second episode was pretty funny. Not much direction, but funny.
Old 12-20-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oof. I actually liked all 6 six seasons of the show. But then this 7th bullshit season with the son was a fucking chore to get through. Jumping the shark does not come close to it. Who thought it was a great idea to stick in the unfunny Jewish kid in there? Yeah, I believe that fine ass Heather Graham and DD spawned him. Sure. Even Duchovney looked bored as hell.

I think this was the first time in a long tome where I have seen just one single character tank an entire season. At least the female tits and ass was in full effect.
Old 12-20-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Who thought it was a great idea to stick in the unfunny Jewish kid in there?...

I think this was the first time in a long tome where I have seen just one single character tank an entire season.
In the spirit of the Star Wars mania right now - Levon is the "Jew Jew Binks" of the series.
Old 12-20-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I concur.