TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- Season 7A Premiere -- "Time Zones" -- 4/13/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mad Men -- Season 7A Premiere -- "Time Zones" -- 4/13/14

Originally Posted by dex14
I can't see how splitting it up is going to help at all.
This show has reached its peak. All splitting up has done is irritate the fans. Unless something spectacular happens this season (which I doubt), this will go out with a whimper (like Psych, though Psych was never that acclaimed).

OTOH, Breaking Bad had a core group of devoted fans. The seasons were progressively better and were heading to a conclusion. Splitting the season allowed the rest of the world to catch up and it went out with a bang. In this case splitting the season was a great strategy -- and placed BB on the list of the greatest shows ever -- and not on the greatest shows you've never seen.
Old 04-14-14, 03:16 PM

Yeah, this show doesn't have the emphasis on plotting like Breaking Bad. It's a slow burn character show. And a complex one at that, as most people here seem to have trouble remembering everything that happened last season. Dragging it out even longer just lessens the impact of everything that will happen as the background is less and less prominent in viewers' minds.
Old 04-14-14, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite parts: Ken's toss of the earring and every moment of screentime with Pete.
Old 04-14-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
Anyway, I thought the episode was terrible. Basically, Don gets off the plane, eats a delicious sandwich (the highlight of the show), way too much whining from Peggy, Megan, Joan. Don's replacement is awful and the pitches were dull. Then Don gets back on the plane and eats another sandwich.

Other than the sandwich, the Ken joke and Vanilla Fudge at the end, it was as bad an episode as they have done, imo.
Completely agree. What a boring episode. It doesn't help with the fact that they are splitting this into two 7 episode seasons. That should mean every episode is fucking gold, and IMHO we are already 0/1.
Old 04-14-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

It was alright. Felt more like a set up type of episode.

Liked Ken's lack of depth perception.

You figure with a break midway through the season and it being a whole year, they'd need to throw in some kind of major cliffhanger to get the viewer to salivate. But this isn't that type of show - so this may actually backfire on them. AMC better get their shit together... and quick.
Old 04-14-14, 04:39 PM

Oh, I also forgot, Peggy talks about a clogged toilet. TWICE.

Elisabeth Moss must have been sitting in her trailer after the script pages were delivered thinking WTF AM I READING.
Old 04-14-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
Oh, I also forgot, Peggy talks about a clogged toilet. TWICE.

Elisabeth Moss must have been sitting in her trailer after the script pages were delivered thinking WTF AM I READING.
It was obviously symbolism as to how shitty her life is.

I did like the end where buddy says he should get home because he doesn't like his wife alone in the house - and yet Peggy is reminded that she's alone in all respects (Ted, you bastard!).

Anyone else thinks that Lou could pass as Hershel's (Walking Dead) brother?
Old 04-14-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Those teeth.

When said, wait I have to brush my teeth, I'm sure Don thought "all of them?".

Just kidding.
They even had a line about her getting them fixed. Hilarious.
Old 04-14-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
It was obviously symbolism as to how shitty her life is.
That's Matt Weiner writing ladies and gentlemen.
Old 04-14-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

at Pete's California look.
Old 04-14-14, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
It was alright. Felt more like a set up type of episode.

Liked Ken's lack of depth perception.

You figure with a break midway through the season and it being a whole year, they'd need to throw in some kind of major cliffhanger to get the viewer to salivate. But this isn't that type of show - so this may actually backfire on them. AMC better get their shit together... and quick.
I was thinking up replies to AMC getting their act together (This being a network airing a show about grown men arm wrestling and the continually growing travesty that is Comic Book Men), and then this being the network that started the trend of shows about shows...

And it dawned on me - what're the odds we see a Talking Mad, or Madly Talking next year for the final batch? They did it with Breaking Bad... and while this *really* isn't the type of show to spend a half hour to hour discussing episodes at length (Just imagine last night - 'Man, that earring toss was way off the mark!' 'That sammich must've been mighty tasty!' But, well... Talking Dead and Talking Bad. I could so very easily see them doing likewise as a 'farewell tributary sendoff to the greatest drama ever!'

Is it possible for an entire network to 'Jump the Shark'? Methinks it'll happen if we get seven eps of Chris Hardwick talking mad.
Old 04-14-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They even had a line about her getting them fixed. Hilarious.
On the next episode, she gets a set of dentures and donates her current set to a young man in England named Freddie Mercury.
Old 04-14-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the episode was entertaining but I had a hard time catching on to everything because it feels like it's been two years since the last frigging season. I'm also irritated by the lame half-season (I call them micro-seasons). Cable is getting stingier and stingier with the programming. I mean, seriously, they're considering 6 or 7 episodes A YEAR to be adequate to keep a show's momentum going? Ugh.
Old 04-14-14, 06:44 PM

I really wanted to watch this last night, but, I'm waiting until 7B is on air next year. This show shouldn't be split-up.
Old 04-14-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Great review (as always) from Molly Lambert at Grantland

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...to-disneyland/
Old 04-14-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
at Pete's California look.
Absolutely! And hugging Don instead of taking his extended hand. If there was ever anyone that needed to have his gears oiled...
Old 04-14-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
(though it is weird seeing Travis from 'Cougar Town' show up in the Mad Men world).
Yeah, and how old is he, like 22? He's way too young to be in a position like that.
Old 04-15-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I didn't see The Sopranos as it originally aired, but did people have much of a problem with getting back into the show after the huge breaks? That show also had a ton of moments that you'd have to remember, and I remember bitching about the long hiatus, but not about actually jumping back into the show.

Splitting the season thing they're already in the can, that decision I agree is pretty terrible (but I'm also reading reports that the actors don't know how it'll end, so have they really finished filming?). But we've had way longer breaks than this for Mad Men, some were well over a year. Plus that's part of what this show's season premieres have been doing the whole time anyway. Time has passed since the previous finale, and we're wondering what's going on and what the characters are up to now.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-15-14 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I didn't see The Sopranos as it originally aired, but did people have much of a problem with getting back into the show after the huge breaks? That show also had a ton of moments that you'd have to remember, and I remember bitching about the long hiatus, but not about actually jumping back into the show.

Splitting the season thing they're already in the can, that decision I agree is pretty terrible (but I'm also reading reports that the actors don't know how it'll end, so have they really finished filming?). But we've had way longer breaks than this for Mad Men, some were well over a year. Plus that's part of what this show's season premieres have been doing the whole time anyway. Time has passed since the previous finale, and we're wondering what's going on and what the characters are up to now.

Some are forgetting when Matt Weiner's deal with Lionsgate expired after season 4, the negotiations took several months. Season 4 ended in October 2010. Season 5 premiered about 17 months later after the delay.
Old 04-15-14, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Exactly: That was the largest gap, but I don't recall as much complaining about forgetting events during that premiere.
Old 04-15-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

don and peggy gotta be getting the band back together one more time right?
Old 04-15-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Some are forgetting when Matt Weiner's deal with Lionsgate expired after season 4, the negotiations took several months. Season 4 ended in October 2010. Season 5 premiered about 17 months later after the delay.
I don't care about breaks between seasons, that's standard. AMC is just playing games with Mad Men and stretching it out because they can draw out the Mad Men revenue for two more years without paying for two 13-episode seasons. This isn't even a Breaking Bad situation because all of season seven has been filmed and they're just sticking the back half on a hard drive somewhere. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-15-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete was clearly the MVP this episode.
Old 04-15-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Pete was clearly the MVP this episode.
Definitely, his sandwich choice was impeccable! Can't wait to see what he orders next week.
Old 04-15-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I didn't see The Sopranos as it originally aired, but did people have much of a problem with getting back into the show after the huge breaks?
Oh yes. I remember fans, myself and friends being frustrated with the huge gaps between seasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.