DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Following -- "Betrayal" -- 4/07/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/619335-following-betrayal-4-07-14-a.html)

DJariya 04-07-14 04:30 PM

The Following -- "Betrayal" -- 4/07/14

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...81382306_n.png

A BETRAYAL LEADS TO CHAOS ON AN ALL-NEW "THE FOLLOWING" MONDAY, APRIL 7, ON FOX

After a series of public condemnations of Joe and his followers, Joe targets the son of a man who stands against him. Meanwhile, Ryan is faced with the shocking news of Claire's reappearance and Mandy makes a decision that leads her to a familiar face which could undo all that Joe has been working for in the all-new "Betrayal" episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, April 7 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-212) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Kevin Bacon as Ryan Hardy; James Purefoy as Joe Carroll; Shawn Ashmore as Agent Mike Weston; Natalie Zea as Claire Matthews; Valorie Curry as Emma Hill; Connie Nielsen as Lily Gray; Sam Underwood as Luke; Jessica Stroup as Max Hardy; Tiffany Boone as Mandy Lang

Guest Cast: Shane McRae as Robert; Sprague Grayden as Carrie Cooke; Mackenzie Marsh as Tilda; Josh Salatin as Lucas; Liza De Weerd as Angela; Felix Solis as Agent Clarke; Carter Jenkins as Preston; Tom Cavanaugh as Kingston; John Lafayette as Captain Turner

Episode 12 of 15

45shooter 04-07-14 09:37 PM

Re: The Following -- "Betrayal" -- 4/07/14

Is it just me or is the show just getting boring? Certainly nothing major or even worse, especially crazy, happened tonite.

Josh-da-man 04-07-14 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 45shooter (Post 12071204)
Is it just me or is the show just getting boring? Certainly nothing major or even worse, especially crazy, happened tonite.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I don't really care for Joe leading the cult. It's really a big shift in his character, going from an Edgar Allan Poe-obsessed novelist and college professor, to religious zealot (whether he's faking it or not).

As silly as the first season could get, it was a really creepy concept where Joe had amassed this huge following, infiltrated law enforcement, and put sleeper agents all over the country. Now he's just waltzed into a preexisting cult, killed their leaders, and taken it over. I found Lily and her little group much more interesting at first, but now that they're working in opposition to Joe it feels too complicated.

PhantomStranger 04-08-14 02:05 AM

It was one boring episode but every episode can't have major developments. They really did absolutely nothing with Mandy's storyline. They should have killed her off weeks ago if that was going to be her ending.

Raul3 04-08-14 09:06 AM

It has lost steam, but the first episodes were so strong. I mean, everyone is waiting for the Joe vs Lilly vs Ryan (and Mike) final confrontation, but it looks like the writers had a hard time figuring out how to get there.

dave94 04-08-14 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12071392)
It was one boring episode but every episode can't have major developments. They really did absolutely nothing with Mandy's storyline. They should have killed her off weeks ago if that was going to be her ending.

It's funny that this episode is considered boring when it had a stabbing, a slit throat on video, the burning/beating/killing(?) of a teenage girl...

I'm entertained weekly by this show, and you know it's gonna amp up for these last three weeks!

ETA: And then it's Bauer time.

Frederic 04-09-14 01:15 AM

Season 2 overall has been a tremendous disappointment. Some say that season 2 is better than season 1 but I simply cannot agree. That being said, I am glad that it got renewed for season 3. It's my hope that TPTB will take the show back to the craziness that worked so well in season 1.

Coladar1 04-09-14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Frederic (Post 12072457)
Season 2 overall has been a tremendous disappointment. Some say that season 2 is better than season 1 but I simply cannot agree. That being said, I am glad that it got renewed for season 3. It's my hope that TPTB will take the show back to the craziness that worked so well in season 1.

I fervently disagree. A million, billion times over. The whole thing has been amazing so far. It might end up sucking, it probably will, but up til now it's been as good as anything ever, IMO. Mind you, I was ready to abandon this completely when the family was in center stage - I even stopped watching the episode immediately prior to Joe taking his leave, then played catch up two weeks ago.

The Family and Joe's return from death... meh. After that? Jesus, we have a totally new threat they don't even show for episodes? A threat that kills Mike's father, and then surprisingly reappears when we thought it was Korben attacking? Now they've set it up so there are two distinct threats out there. Meaning they can off Joe this season finale and already be on easy street with next year's major threat/villains.

Then they have Mindy take leave, run to Lily and Co.... And you think to yourself, hi convoluted plot. Of course she'll tell them where Joe is. Predictable, stupid. And she doesn't. And she dies. Dead, dead, dead. How many other shows would've done that? They set up an easy out for the Lily versus Joe confrontation, and skip it, then kill off a fairly decent secondary character extremely quickly.

I just love this show to death. Love it. Primarily because of the amazing character of Joe Carroll, but also because I see it as Joe has already won, and no one even considers that fact - all last year it was about turning Ryan, that Ryan was a similar soul. This season, they've had both Ryan and Mike basically become bloodthirsty, remorseless killers only on the 'opposite side' from Joe. I see this show as a testament to the darkness in us all, how easily we can all be turned. And then add to that the exceptionally delightfully over-the-top Joe as supervillain extraordinaire?

So I agree, the Family plotline *with* Joe initially sucked. Also, having Claire miraculously come out of hiding - alive - ...? Depends what they do with it.

My biggest fear is this show is going to be the new GTA/Marilyn Manson. I almost posted as much last week, then thought better of it. Then today, in PA? I hope to God that kid never watched this show. Because let's face it, two things - for nut nuts out there, deluded lunatics who shoot presidents over teenage actors, the whole Joe Carrol thing could 'speak' to them. Either wanting to be like Joe, or else totally nuts and wanting to 'do his work.' Problem two, it also shows rather brazenly just how defenseless public places are to a lunatic with a knife. No gunshots to draw attention, mass panic, inflicting mega damage.

I've just been hoping, and today really hope, such never happens related to a crazy psychopathic nut watching this, because then we'll go right back to having to editorialize and censor our fictional entertainment because of some pathetic, rare lunatics. Likewise, this show more than any other scares me about that, because it shows a homicidal maniac obtaining power and a following, and how easy going on a rampage can be - almost too easy, meaning perhaps the show would have been better served by not having the Korben folks escape without detection half the time.

PhantomStranger 04-09-14 02:40 PM

The first few episodes of season one were a wild ride but you can't run an entire season of 16 episodes at that pace. I've found season two to be a much more consistent and even pacing. So much of season one's twists relied on Deus Ex Machina and unlikely coincidences.