Reload this Page >

Resurrection -- "Insomnia" -- 4/06/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-06-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

BELLAMY'S PAST COMES BACK TO HAUNT HIM, ON "RESURRECTION" SUNDAY, APRIL 6 ON ABC

"Insomnia" - Bellamy struggles to keep Jacob safe from outside forces. But a tragic incident from his past as a cop continues to haunt him. Elaine is pressured to find out where dad Caleb hid the stolen bank money before the FBI comes to town and learns the truth about Arcadia. Maggie delivers shocking news to Rachael, and Caleb gives Bellamy a chilling warning, on "Resurrection," SUNDAY, APRIL 6 (9:00-10:01 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Resurrection" stars Omar Epps as J. Martin Bellamy, Frances Fisher as Lucille Langston, Matt Craven as Fred Langston, Devin Kelley as Maggie Langston, Mark Hildreth as Pastor Tom Hale, Samaire Armstrong as Elaine Richards, Sam Hazeldine as Caleb Richards, Landon Gimenez as Jacob and Kurtwood Smith as Henry Langston.

Guest starring are Kathleen Munroe as Rachael Braidwood, Lori Beth Sikes as Janine Hale, Jason Alexander Davis as the deputy, and Kyle Beasley as the boy from Bellamy's dream.

"Insomnia" was written by Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters and directed by Christopher Misiano.

Episode 5 of 8
Old 04-07-14, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Resurrection -- "Insomnia" -- 4/06/14

My patience is starting to wear thin with this series, even with the surprising events at the end. The writers are consciously avoiding the mystery behind their reappearance, for the sake of cheap melodrama. At this point I don't think we'll get serious answers, in the hopes they can save material for another season.

They also need to lay off the crying scenes, they happen about every fifteen minutes.
Old 04-07-14, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
My patience is starting to wear thin with this series, even with the surprising events at the end. The writers are consciously avoiding the mystery behind their reappearance, for the sake of cheap melodrama. At this point I don't think we'll get serious answers, in the hopes they can save material for another season.

They also need to lay off the crying scenes, they happen about every fifteen minutes.
I was having some of the same thoughts through must of the episode. I can be entertained without much trouble, however I still think they need to get the main plot of the story moving with only three episodes left of this run. If they did it right this could tell a complete story in an eight episode package which would be great. Don't have to drag everything out.

Feels like they are wasting too much time and need to step it up over the next three episodes. So far it's not quite what I thought it would be.
Old 04-07-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now you see them - now you don't!

Apparently the dead wife of the cop (who is being holed up with her lover) is being kept hidden away for some odd reason. I wonder if she's going to figure out prominently as a cliff-hanger at the end of the season?
Old 04-07-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At this point I don't think we'll get serious answers
There is no "serious" answer, and I doubt creating midichlorians will make the story any more enjoyable.

This is not a show about how people are returning any more than The Walking Dead is a show about how a zombie outbreak occurred. Both are about, "Something happened, and this is how various people deal with it."

If airplane debris suddenly slammed through your neighborhood taking out people and property, and the government and news came back and said there were no identifying marks on the wreckage and there is no record of a missing plane, there's certainly a story that could follow, "Where did it come from?" But there's also the possible story of, "How does the neighborhood deal with it?" That's the primary focus of this show.

The problems with this show aren't because we're not getting answers about the core premise. I watched the French "version" and while it also didn't provide answers, I found it more interesting than this version. It has more to do with finding the characters, situations, acting, etc. only marginally interesting.
Old 04-07-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I watched the French "version" and while it also didn't provide answers, I found it more interesting than this version. It has more to do with finding the characters, situations, acting, etc. only marginally interesting.
There is no French version. This show is based on a book that has no ties to 'The Returned'.
Old 04-07-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with MikahC, but yeah this show is not based in the French series.

The book is the same, they never said how it happened. In the book they never open the tombs. That's what I was telling my wife last night, the name of the show is Resurrection but we already saw that the bodies are still there, so that's not a resurrection, at least not the way we expect.
Old 04-07-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, I can see how most of the audience would want answers as to why they are back instead of just they are back let's deal with it.

This seems like a pretty good case for a renewal so maybe next season we will get more answers (IIRC, they left it pretty open at the end of episode 8).

Why has the cops dead wife not come back? Must be an episode 8 thing.
Old 04-07-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also I think they already are going somewhere. It seems the doctor found something in the three returned, don't think its something genetic since it was just a basic test, but we may find out in the next episode.

And no, they are not going for a full explanation yet.
Old 04-07-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
There is no French version. This show is based on a book that has no ties to 'The Returned'.
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
but yeah this show is not based in the French series.
I get it. I attempted to get ahead of these comments by putting "version" in quotes. The Returned and Resurrection are different versions of the same premise. So far, I've enjoyed the French version more, but I haven't given up on the ABC version yet (though it is dropping in my viewing priority). I haven't seen the most recent episode (the subject of this thread) yet.
Old 04-07-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not the lack of answers, but the complete avoidance of even discussing the implications of dead people suddenly returning. This is classic, emotional counter-programming hoping to ensnare women turned off by The Walking Dead. It's not how I would handle this idea and we are getting little more than soap material at this point.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 04-07-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-07-14, 03:00 PM
ATX

that blonde actress who plays elaine (i only know her from her stint on the oc) sucks. she isnt a good actress and has wierd speech pattern and these annoying maneurisms

this show has a very bad habit of bringing stuff up, then moving on to something else, the moving to something else again with out ever addressing the previous something elses

the writing staff must all have ADD

throwing in disappearing people at the end of an episode or some other nonsense doesnt make a good show
Old 04-08-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not the lack of answers, but the complete avoidance of even discussing the implications of dead people suddenly returning. This is classic, emotional counter-programming hoping to ensnare women turned off by The Walking Dead. It's not how I would handle this idea and we are getting little more than soap material at this point.
It's too big a stretch to believe that people seem so unconcerned about the returned events and more or less go on with their daily lives. It's not like there is a big conspiracy and cover-up. Most of the town seems to know about it and just decide to keep quiet and avoid the issue? Every episode I am looking for them to get serious about trying to figure out what is going on, but they end up trying to solve a bank robbery instead.
Old 04-08-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
It's too big a stretch to believe that people seem so unconcerned about the returned events and more or less go on with their daily lives. It's not like there is a big conspiracy and cover-up. Most of the town seems to know about it and just decide to keep quiet and avoid the issue? Every episode I am looking for them to get serious about trying to figure out what is going on, but they end up trying to solve a bank robbery instead.
God did it
Old 04-08-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there any answer to how or why the people are being brought back that will not annoy everyone? We could find how why without knowing how if they go that way.

Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
This sums it up. Something feels off or missing and maybe it's just everything feeling so normal and having episodes about a bank robbery feels out of place with only eight episodes to tell some type of story. It's like they are padding just to have more episodes next season. Reminds me of Under The Dome,that really should have been told within the allowed episodes.
Old 04-08-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We are only watching some people. This is a small town in the South. They had that scene with all the other people, where they didn't want the returned to be accepted in church. And it's not like it has been confirmed that they are the people that were dead, for the other people I think, that's why Bellamy asked the parents to call the boy another name.

But yeah, the main thing is that the show is about how people react. If you are looking for answers stop watching, you will be disappointed. They haven't followed the book 100%, but some scenes they are showing may pave the way for stuff that happens later according to the book.
Old 04-08-14, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that cloning somehow figured into why the bodies of the returned are still in their graves, but even if we do not get an answer, I am in until this show is cancelled (fingers crossed that it gets picked up for a second season). I also happen to think that any scene when the doctor and FBI guy are interacting with each other works (and I also like that you can see that there is chemistry between them, but they are not simply jumping into the sack).
Old 04-08-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's from ICE, not the FBI. Still not sure why they decided to go that route.
Old 04-09-14, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Now you see them - now you don't!

Apparently the dead wife of the cop (who is being holed up with her lover) is being kept hidden away for some odd reason. I wonder if she's going to figure out prominently as a cliff-hanger at the end of the season?
That will probably happen.
Old 04-09-14, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
He's from ICE, not the FBI. Still not sure why they decided to go that route.
I read the book several months back and I can't remember what federal agency he worked for.
Old 04-10-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the book he was from an special agency that was created to take care of the returned.
Old 04-10-14, 02:07 PM
ATX

a big problem with this show is that it is supposed to be 8 episodes

you would think with only 8 eps it would be simple enough to storyboard out the series with a start middle end and pace it properly

instead w/ more that 70% of the show complete they have followed a formula of throwing in 3-4 things in each episode and not finishing what they started

another thing is that in addition to the 3-4 things they still had time to throw in random scenes that served no real purpose

it's bad storytelling, bad writing, bad planning

the fact that the show isnt even an original idea makes it worse that they havent executed better

abc should be thankful that there is a show on nbc called Crisis that makes Resurrection look like the greatest show of all time.
Old 04-10-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to oversell it, but Caleb disappearing in Resurrection is the first moment I felt something notably different happened. That didn't happen in The Returned (the French version). Also, pair that with Caleb knowing about Bellamy's (Omar Epps) incident with the kid. On the plus side, it becomes a show not just about how people deal with the returned people. On the minus side, it's opening up even more things it probably won't address. We'll see. I've made it this far so I'll try to finish out the run.
Old 04-10-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ATX View Post
it's bad storytelling, bad writing, bad planning

the fact that the show isnt even an original idea makes it worse that they havent executed better

abc should be thankful that there is a show on nbc called Crisis that makes Resurrection look like the greatest show of all time.

Yeah, this series has been a disappointment. I really like the cast and setting, but the plotting has been mediocre for a limited, 8-episode run. I know ABC wants this as a continuing series, but that is no excuse to not intricately plot out 8 episodes. It feels like a lot is being held back to save for another season.