Reload this Page >

Hannibal -- "Futamono" -- 4/04/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-04-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

SUSPICIONS RISE ABOUT HANNIBAL LECTER (MADS MIKKELSEN) WHEN HE THROWS A DINNER PARTY WHILE THE CHESAPEAKE RIPPER IS ON A KILLING SPREE AS EDDIE IZZARD GUEST STARS

When a city councilman's body is found in a parking lot, intertwined with a tree, the artistry and missing organs suggest the work of the Chesapeake Ripper. Jack (Laurence Fishburne) and the team race against time to catch the Ripper while he's still on his killing spree. When Will (Hugh Dancy) suggests the possibility that the Ripper is filling his pantry with the victims' organs, Jack crashes Hannibal Lecter's (Mads Mikkelsen) dinner party to collect evidence and test the meat for human DNA. Jack's growing suspicions drive Alana (Caroline Dhavernas) even closer to Hannibal, believing he is the victim of a witch hunt. Meanwhile, clues from the tree man help the BAU zero in on a location they believe the Ripper used. There they discover the most shocking revelation of Jack Crawford's career: Miriam Lass alive. Also starring Aaron Abrams, Scott Thompson, Raul Esparza and Anna Chlumsky. TV-14 V

Episode 6 of 13
Old 04-04-14, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hannibal -- "Futamono" -- 4/04/14

The dinner party reminded me of the first scene of American Psycho.

Who writes these synopses and why would you include the Miriam tidbit? Lame.
Old 04-05-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad I didn't check this thread before seeing the episode.

Given it's obvious Hannibal wanted her found, I'm guessing Miriam Lass is now his ally and will throw suspicion off him.

Also, anyone else immediately think of Buffalo Bill when Miriam was found by Jack?
Old 04-05-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show is really firing on all cylinders this season. It's amazing that something so artful and dark is on network TV. The dinner scene with Hannibal and Gideon was both horrifying and darkly hilarious.
Old 04-05-14, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow that synposis.. I would've been mad as hell had I read that first.

Really great episode. Loved the dinner party, the beautiful yet disturbing crime scenes, and all the manipulation going on. Can't wait until next week.
Old 04-05-14, 09:23 AM

Hannibal mentioning the census taker was pretty cool
Old 04-05-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Given it's obvious Hannibal wanted her found, I'm guessing Miriam Lass is now his ally and will throw suspicion off him.
It seems very unlikely that she would be Hannibal's ally seeing as how he kept her locked in a water tank with a missing arm for months. But he did obviously want her to be found. Perhaps she's gone insane? Or been lobotomized? I'm very curious how Hannibal doesn't get pinned for this.

There are still 7 episodes left so I'm wondering if we're gonna get the showdown between Jack and Hannibal before too long, since Jack seems to be getting closer and closer to the truth each episode.
Old 04-05-14, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
This show is really firing on all cylinders this season. It's amazing that something so artful and dark is on network TV. The dinner scene with Hannibal and Gideon was both horrifying and darkly hilarious.
this show seems like a merger of David Lynch, Tarsem and Fincher at times.

the use of imagery (I love the cooking sequences),music, silence, shocking violence/gore (how this gets a TV-14 rating at times is amazing) and the superb cast make this one of the most unique TV shows in recent history.
Old 04-05-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
this show seems like a merger of David Lynch, Tarsem and Fincher at times.

the use of imagery (I love the cooking sequences),music, silence, shocking violence/gore (how this gets a TV-14 rating at times is amazing) and the superb cast make this one of the most unique TV shows in recent history.
It strikes me as distinctly Fuller, who I guess does meet all those marks. I love that he went so dark with this. I hate that the ratings are so low, it's a remarkable show. Its only saving grace is that it is apparently a very cheap show to produce.
Old 04-05-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy hell was that an amazing ending. It ended on a perfect note....literally.
Old 04-05-14, 01:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ratings down yet again.
Old 04-05-14, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
ratings down yet again.
well it IS on Friday's night... not the best night - this would be so ideal on Thursday night.
Old 04-05-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Which night was it on previously. I don't seem to remember it was always on Fridays.
Old 04-05-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Which night was it on previously. I don't seem to remember it was always on Fridays.
Thursdays at 10pm. It did horrible during that timeslot.
Old 04-05-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
It seems very unlikely that she would be Hannibal's ally seeing as how he kept her locked in a water tank with a missing arm for months. But he did obviously want her to be found. Perhaps she's gone insane? Or been lobotomized? I'm very curious how Hannibal doesn't get pinned for this.

There are still 7 episodes left so I'm wondering if we're gonna get the showdown between Jack and Hannibal before too long, since Jack seems to be getting closer and closer to the truth each episode.
Unless over time she developed Stockholme Syndrome. That and you assume she's been locked in that tank for months. Remember the calls Jack received in season one. If Hannibal captured her in the violent manner seen in his flashback, it's unlikely that in the time it took her to recover that Hannibal would not have searched Miriam and not found her phone.
Old 04-05-14, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Thursdays at 10pm. It did horrible during that timeslot.
I'm not sure why this isn't really finding a broader audience - is it too nihilistic or something?
Old 04-05-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure why this isn't really finding a broader audience - is it too nihilistic or something?
That's possible. The show has a very dark look to it. Even interiors are dark. Outdoors, it's usually cloudy. There's no real humor. Either you get it or you don't.

But, as was mentioned, Friday is a bad night for shows like this.
Old 04-05-14, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
That's possible. The show has a very dark look to it. Even interiors are dark. Outdoors, it's usually cloudy. There's no real humor. Either you get it or you don't.

But, as was mentioned, Friday is a bad night for shows like this.
The same could be said about 'The Killing' - alright - enough with the rain, we get it, it's a touch of atmosphere ... and that show's last season was a complete snoozer - this though is pretty riveting. The murder body reveals and the transformations of Will into a literal demonic beast though elevate the surreality factor and uniqueness of the show to mesmerizing effect.
Old 04-05-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like that they're ramping up the psychology on this show. Hannibal sleeping with Dr. Bloom to both set up an alibi and to take away one of Will's last allies and defenders was brilliant. Loved the scene where they showed the entire party being set up.

I disagree about the humor part as I found Dr. Chilton pretty funny last night. I had forgotten who Miriam Lass was and had to go google her name to remind me. I actually thought he was going to find the body of Dr. Gideon.

I loved the scene in the beginning where they showed close ups of the flowers before zooming out to the image of the corpse on the true. This show does stuff like that so well.
Old 04-05-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's Friday at 10 pm. That just reeks of deadzone.
Old 04-05-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess it's safe to say that whatever Beverly saw in Hannibal's basement, it wasn't the body of Miriam Lass.
Old 04-05-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"My compliments to the chef." Wow, eating your your own leg. This show is something else. And that line in that scene from Hannibal, something like ""The tragedy is not to die. The tragedy is to be wasted." I love it.

So many great cannibal-oriented lines in this ep from the one above to Will talking about all the times they ate there and Chilton commenting on how he's only eaten salads there lately. Also the look on Hannibal's face when Jack loaded up a to-go box. I couldn't tell if he was scared or sad that he was losing yet another 'friend' in Jack. Good job by Mads.
Old 04-05-14, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's Friday at 10 pm. That just reeks of deadzone.
Genre type shows like this usually do okay on Fridays. The just doesn't have enough broad appeal for network tv. I think it'd probably do well on HBO.
Old 04-05-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it seems silly that it would matter, but I do wonder if this show would be doing better if it was on AMC or HBO.

I wonder why the food checked out ok. Are we thinking Hannibal only mixes in a few select human pieces amongst the regular food? I loved how Mads played the realization that Jack is starting to look his way.
Old 04-05-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ I was thinking that since Beverly took a kidney from the fridge before getting killed, that tipped Hannibal off that they might be onto him. He has the dinner party, filled with delicious non-human animals, to throw Jack off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.