Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

They should go the stand-up route of it does happen, Todd Barry, Mike Birbiglia, Chris Rock all NY based all funny. Rock already had his own Emmy winning show on HBO.

Time to update that resume for late night’s last foreseeable opening, funny people: It’s widely predicted that CBS’ David Letterman, the beloved crank and comic’s comic, may retire if CBS chooses not to renew his contract when it expires in 2015, and some comedy experts think it’s a perfect time to try a non-traditional successor.

“It would be nice if there was somebody who wasn’t a white dude for a change,” Adam Frucci, editor of the comedy site Splitsider told us. Frucci endorses unexpected, alternative choices for future late-night hosts, such as Reggie Watts the mega-popular musician, improv comedian and co-host of the weekly IFC chat show “Comedy Bang! Bang!” and Maria Bamford, known for her dark, confessional stand-up, appearances on “Arrested Development” and the faux-advice web series “Ask My Mom.”

“You just have to find a really unique voice,” Frucci added. Not a “bland standard-issue comedian that will just kind of carry the torch forward but somebody who will really just kind of blow it up, or put it back together.”

As for Letterman’s successor, Frucci points to "The Late Late Show" host Craig Ferguson as the logical not-so-alternative replacement — or possibly even Jon Stewart, should CBS attempt to poach “The Daily Show” icon from Comedy Central. “I don’t see them taking anybody too outside the box for it,” he predicted. (CC: Seth MacFarlane and Joel McHale, whose sarcastic sensibilities offer a counterbalance to Fallon’s endearing yet not-as-edgy exuberance.)

Nate Dern, artistic director at the New York branch of Upright Citizens Brigade, said that if he were in charge of the universe he’d handpick Amy Poehler — who co-founded the improv venue in 1999 — to top-line a “Tonight”-style program.

Ellen DeGeneres is another brand-name possibility, according to Andrew Alexander, CEO and executive producer of The Second City. Ditto Sarah Silverman, a charismatic and no-holds-barred heir apparent to Joan Rivers, and Chelsea Handler, who suffers no fools (especially Kardashians) as headliner of E! Network’s “Chelsea Lately.”

And in the wild-card category, Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford, who’ve transformed the fourth hour of TODAY into appointment viewing, thanks to natural chemistry and the audacity to consume wine on the air at 10 a.m.

Collins praised cable TV’s willingness to give a chance to a wider variety of faces and personalities, thanks to lowered stakes and less pressure to attract a broad viewership. She also singles out the BBC for carving a spot for Graham Norton, the sharp-witted, openly gay emcee of a top-rated eponymous chat show in the U.K.

Stateside, Comedy Central’s Keegan-Michael Key could make a successful transition from cable to a network, suggested Alexander.

He praised the Second City alum — co-host of the acclaimed sketch series “Key & Peele,” which rolls out season four later this year — as having loads of charisma plus two other host-worthy qualities: intellectual curiosity and genuine interest in other people. And he’s got the endorsement of maybe the only person with more clout than Lorne Michaels: President Obama.
Old 02-20-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: CBS may not renew Letterman's contract in 2015

I always assumed it was Stewart's job if he wanted it.
Old 02-20-14, 11:13 AM
Suspended

I think Jon Stewart is already the highest paid talk show host and being on a political show might scare away a lot of the type of political types he's currently makes fun of. But he would be a great host.
Old 02-20-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

they should replace letterman with leno
Old 02-20-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jon Stewart, maybe. He's stuck with The Daily Show for 15 years, though. And he's 51.
Old 02-20-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I heard Louis CK is leading the running...

Spoiler:
Old 02-20-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe five or six years ago, I could see Stewart jumping at this, now I'm not so sure.

I don't see him being interested in doing two "what-are-you-promoting" interviews and a band/comedian each night. There's a bit more flexibility on the type of guests and shape those single interview segments take on TDS.

Plus with the diminishing returns of late night network TV, the shift in $$$ wouldn't be that big of deal.
Old 02-20-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I heard Louis CK is leading the running...

Spoiler:
Only if David Lynch produces.
Old 02-20-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Maybe five or six years ago, I could see Stewart jumping at this, now I'm not so sure.

I don't see him being interested in doing two "what-are-you-promoting" interviews and a band/comedian each night. There's a bit more flexibility on the type of guests and shape those single interview segments take on TDS.

Plus with the diminishing returns of late night network TV, the shift in $$$ wouldn't be that big of deal.
Doesn't Stewart make more than Letterman right now?
Old 02-20-14, 12:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

colbert is the inspired choice
Old 02-20-14, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Doesn't Stewart make more than Letterman right now?
Yes (something like $25-30m v. $20m), but in a poaching scenario, you'd have to assume CBS will have to offer some more money his way. I can't see CBS offering something like $35m to $40m for late night, when Kimmel and, I assume, Fallon are in the $10m range.
Old 02-20-14, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Chris Rock, he's a New Yorker, his show on HBO was great and Louis CK was the head writer. And he's not competing with Jimmy and Jimmy he can gain the growing minority audience in America that want something different which will prob cause Arsenio to be canceled. He's also a great comedian and social commentator.
Old 02-20-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$30 million for basic cable? wow.

That put Jon Stewart in the top 1% of the top 1%.
Old 02-20-14, 01:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should get English comedian Jimmy Carr just to confuse people even more. They could promote it as the United Kingdom of Late Night.
Old 02-20-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Craig Ferguson should just drop down to that time-slot.
Old 02-20-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I just want to point out that the "news story" in the OP says that Letterman leaving CBS is predicted.

Predicted. Not reported from sources. Not even rumored.
Old 02-20-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

What, is Geechy Guy not available?
Old 02-20-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

If they got Elvis Costello for the gig, I would probably actually watch it quite often.
Old 02-20-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Craig Ferguson should just drop down to that time-slot.
Nah, I love Ferguson but he wouldn't get away with half the stuff he does on The Late Late Show if he took Dave's spot. I'd miss Letterman if the end of his run is coming but I guess he's getting older and needs to step down at some point.
Old 02-20-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It's Rashida Jones.
Old 02-20-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I was a huge, HUGE Letterman fan for many years, but when I tune in now I can't watch more than a few minutes. His time has long passed.

Time for Norm Macdonald to move back onto TV!
Old 02-20-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I hear there's a chance CBS may renew Letterman's contract
Old 02-20-14, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
I hear there's a chance CBS may renew Letterman's contract
Could happen but if Fallon and Kimmel's ratings continue to strengthen I doubt it, CBS is the #1 network and they'd need a talk show to reflect that so they can continue to self promote their own shows.
Old 02-20-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I expect that Letterman will retire. If add together the time he was on Late Night with the time on The Late Show, he's been doing this type of show longer than Johnny Carson did The Tonight Show - which is a long damn time!

And I think networks like to play it safe, so I think Craig Ferguson would be the odds on replacement.
Old 02-20-14, 06:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I always assumed it was Stewart's job if he wanted it.
I believe he's being groomed to replace Larry Sanders.

Spoiler:
OK, I never saw Gary Shandling when he did the Larry Sanders show on HBO so I've been watching all the episodes on Crackle. John Stewart replacing him seemed to be a running plot line. No spoilers, I'm just starting to watch the final season today

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.