Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
re: David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Twenty year anniversary of the legendary final Warren Zevon interview. I have watched it several times on You Tube over the ensuing years.

The Ringer put up a wonderful oral history of the episode on their site yesterday for the anniversary with interviews from many involved including Dave and Paul Shaffer.
https://www.theringer.com/music/2022...an-anniversary
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (10-29-22)
Old 10-29-22, 10:47 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
re: David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Mod Note: Similar to the Conan O'Brien thread, David Letterman has moved on to different things, seems like a more catch-all thread title is in order.
Old 10-29-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Re: David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Originally Posted by Decker
Twenty year anniversary of the legendary final Warren Zevon interview. I have watched it several times on You Tube over the ensuing years.
https://youtu.be/giTi8KWSZl4

The Ringer put up a wonderful oral history of the episode on their site yesterday for the anniversary with interviews from many involved including Dave and Paul Shaffer.
https://www.theringer.com/music/2022...an-anniversary
I have no problem saying that Jay Leno is a better comic than Letterman, and I bet Dave would say that as well. But a show like this demonstrates why Dave was superior to Jay, as a host and interviewer. Even though Dave did many, many silly and goofy things to get a laugh over the years, you always knew that there was a serious and thoughtful man behind the gap-toothed grin. I don't think Jay the joke-robot could do a show like this, exhibiting some honest, heartfelt emotion, if his life depended on it.
Old 10-29-22, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

In addition to his guest appearances, I remember how great Warren was filling in for Paul when he was off making Blues Brothers 2000. Then he even wore a badge that said "Comedy Deputy".
Old 11-01-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Dave's name was in the news because Maya Rudolph mentioned her 2009 appearance on Letterman in an interview.

“I did not have a good time,” she says of her conversation with Letterman. “He said my name wrong, and I just sat there, like, I grew up my whole life in love with you. And now my heart is broken. And I’m sitting here embarrassed and humiliated. I didn’t know how to handle it. I didn’t know how to come up with something funny to say. My public persona muscle wasn’t strong yet.”
Every story I see about this plays it up big that she was embarrassed, heartbroken, and humiliated.
Because he mistakenly called her Amaya when he introduced her.
And then apologized for the mistake.

Many stories I saw lumped Dave's mistreatment of Rudolph with his atrocious behavior to other female guests over the years, as an example of his general misogyny. ​​​​​​

He mispronounced her name and apologized for it!! What kind of delicate fucking flower is Maya Rudolph that this was humiliating for her?
At this point, she had already been on SNL for seven years, and she is this fragile? I guess growing up being known as Gwyneth Paltrow's ugly friend really did a number on her.
Old 11-03-22, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yeah I was confused by this one. I looked for a video of him being perverted or an asshole. But I read more and it was him fuckin' up her name. I fee like Maya is Trolling the media with this story

That said...as a person with a name that is always getting fucked up by others; and as a person who understands the power in a name, I do get why she may have been bummed. Fucking up a name can take away some momentum. Hell, not that believe Dave was doing this but...some even call people the wrong name intentionally to humble or insult.

Old 11-03-22, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That said...as a person with a name that is always getting fucked up by others; and as a person who understands the power in a name, I do get why she may have been bummed. Fucking up a name can take away some momentum. Hell, not that believe Dave was doing this but...some even call people the wrong name intentionally to humble or insult.
If she wants to say that she was heartbroken because it was big moment for her and he said her name wrong, then that is one thing. That's about her emotions.

But when she says she was embarrassed and humiliated, it becomes about Dave humiliating her. And the current climate, a woman claiming that a man humiliated her is starting to drift into "he abused me" territory. And then the internet media sites, jump on that general idea to excavate moments from Letterman's career and slam him.

In the interview, she was trying to explain about becoming tougher and how to roll with a punch. I'd say she has had a pretty fucking charmed career in show business if that's her getting knocked down.
Old 11-03-22, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
If she wants to say that she was heartbroken because it was big moment for her and he said her name wrong, then that is one thing. That's about her emotions.

But when she says she was embarrassed and humiliated, it becomes about Dave humiliating her. And the current climate, a woman claiming that a man humiliated her is starting to drift into "he abused me" territory. And then the internet media sites, jump on that general idea to excavate moments from Letterman's career and slam him.

In the interview, she was trying to explain about becoming tougher and how to roll with a punch. I'd say she has had a pretty fucking charmed career in show business if that's her getting knocked down.
Yeah.... And Mind you...she is in the new "Disenchanted" film coming out with Amy Adams so this "controversy's" timing is all suspect...
Old 02-05-23, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Paul Schaefer returned to late night and NBC on the Tonight Show last week.

Old 04-08-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rupert Jee has owned the Hello Deli for 31 years, and is now looking to sell the restaurant.

Old 04-08-23, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Are those Indian guys or brothers who appeared on his show still around?
Old 04-08-23, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Are those Indian guys or brothers who appeared on his show still around?
They were from Bangladesh and their store closed in 2003.