Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as host

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as host

Old 02-01-22, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as host

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
Dave will be stopping by Late Night with Seth Meyers tonight to celebrate the 40th anniversary of "Late Night".
Thank you. I had forgotten this was tonight. Was recording it anyway.
Old 02-02-22, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as host

https://www.youtube.com/c/Letterman/playlists

New youtube channel with archive of Letterman clips including 80s clips
Old 02-02-22, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 576 Posts

Man, I saw a photo of Dave on a news website yesterday (because of the Late Night anniversary) and my first thought was "Fuck, please don't be dead, please don't be dead!" and was so relieved when I read the story. This made me realize that when it finally does happen, it will hit me very hard, Dave has been a hero of mine since I started watching Late Night while in high school.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post

Very cool! I've been watching old clips on Don Giller's Youtube channel for years now (tons of Letterman stuff on there), so it's nice to have an additional source of Dave's old stuff.
Old 02-02-22, 11:56 AM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

What I'd give to see a 24 hour channel dedicated to nothing but full uncut episodes of NBC's Late Night with David Letterman. That show was truly something special.

It's hard to remember my first viewing of Letterman as a kid (I was fan from a young age) but it was probably my brother who told me about it. I do remember seeing his name in my TV listings and for whatever reason being intrigued by it.

When my parents got our first VCR in the mid 80's I soon figured out how to program it to record Late Night. Of course it was a little noisy turning on and shutting off and made more complicated with signal sourced from a rooftop antenna. I just wish I'd kept some of those tapes but as a kid I was lucky to have a few to use. I remember loving all the gimmicks like the 360 degree rotating show or the one from the back of a flatbed, the sped up show, the time he was at home commenting on a repeat with Bob Hope, the Regulator Guy with Chris Elliot, so many inventive hilarious shows that sadly haven't been equaled in late night since.
Old 02-02-22, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by philo View Post
What I'd give to see a 24 hour channel dedicated to nothing but full uncut episodes of NBC's Late Night with David Letterman. That show was truly something special.
These days there are Twitch channels that run older content. Instead of showing game streams, there are people that run nonstop Iron Chef episodes, 90s MTV with commercials, etc. No Letterman that I know of though.
Old 02-02-22, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 186 Posts

Awhile ago I found the episode that I attended in March 2001... Cokie Roberts with musical guest, Uncle Kracker. It was a blast. Can't find it now.
Old 02-02-22, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 217 Posts

I’d love to see some of those daytime episodes he did for 6 weeks.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 773 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
daytime was when I first discovered him. Changed my life
Old 02-02-22, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never saw it.
Depending on when it was on I was either still in high school that time of day or was down the shore for the summer.
Old 02-02-22, 06:31 PM

I never saw it.
Depending on when it was on I was either still in high school that time of day or was down the shore for the summer.
It was def on in the summer, I just stumbled across it one morning while wasting my youth.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 293 Posts

Is it possible Peacock could carry all of the original Late Night with Letterman shows?
Old 02-02-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC probably owns it but I wonder if they would put it up without Letterman’s approval even if they don’t need it.
Old 02-02-22, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
It was def on in the summer, I just stumbled across it one morning while wasting my youth.
Funny that last night Dave said the morning show lasted 6 weeks or maybe two months, but it was on for four months. Despite the show's failure in the ratings, I would think he would have vivid and fond memories of his first show.
Old 02-02-22, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Is it possible Peacock could carry all of the original Late Night with Letterman shows?
In November 1993, E! Entertainment Television purchased syndication rights to Late Night with David Letterman.[15] The network aired complete shows from various years five days per week from 1993 until 1996. Then, Trio: Popular Arts Television (owned by NBC/Vivendi Universal Entertainment) picked up reruns and showed them from 2002 until the channel went off the air in 2005.
Old 02-02-22, 11:44 PM

Funny that last night Dave said the morning show lasted 6 weeks or maybe two months, but it was on for four months. Despite the show's failure in the ratings, I would think he would have vivid and fond memories of his first show.
If I may ramble like an old man for a bit, IIRC Letterman's morning show was on during the same era Bert Convey was hosting Super Password. They both had a 'fuck it' seat of the pants attitude. I remember they had a person physically changing letters behind the Password backdrop, and sometimes he would screw up, and pop up from behind the backdrop, and Convey would make fun of him and the low-rent failings of the show. Good times. That was before irony was institutionalized. Now I'm going to find a cloud to yell at.
Old 02-03-22, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen one or two small clips on Don Giller's Letterman channel on YouTube but that's it. Some more of those must exist out there, I'd love to see more myself.
Old 05-01-22, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Thought this was a fun video from last week. Jimmi Simpson remembers his recurring bit as Lyle the Intern.

Old 05-02-22, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it is sad Colbert is the ratings king.

I thought you had to be funny to host a late night talk show?
Old 05-02-22, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it is sad Colbert is the ratings king.

I thought you had to be funny to host a late night talk show?
You just sound sad, dude.
Old 05-02-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the time Lyle started showing up on Letterman, I was many years past being a regular watcher, but this comedy bit just shows what was wrong with Dave's show. They would latch on to something that weird thing that amused Dave, and then beat it to death.

Off-putting can equal funny, but off-putting does not automatically equal funny.

I am old enough to have loved Dave in the 80s when his show was regular must-see TV, and he was always better than Leno, but Dave and his show got old and tired in his last decade on TV. He was always so proud of having looong time staff and writers around, but at some point that just means everybody has old ideas and wants to do the same things over and over.
Old 05-03-22, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everybody blasts Fallon but I would rather watch his show over Colbert any day.
Old 05-03-22, 07:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 776 Likes on 581 Posts

No way in hell.
Old 05-03-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the time Lyle started showing up on Letterman, I was many years past being a regular watcher, but this comedy bit just shows what was wrong with Dave's show. They would latch on to something that weird thing that amused Dave, and then beat it to death.

Off-putting can equal funny, but off-putting does not automatically equal funny.

I am old enough to have loved Dave in the 80s when his show was regular must-see TV, and he was always better than Leno, but Dave and his show got old and tired in his last decade on TV. He was always so proud of having looong time staff and writers around, but at some point that just means everybody has old ideas and wants to do the same things over and over.
I watched Dave since around 1984 and his show was magical back then (those late nights were rough for me on school nights, but worth the lack of sleep!). But yeah, as the Late Show progressed, he lost a lot of the magic he had in the earlier days, and I stopped being a regular watcher near the end.
I just finished this book and it's a fascinating look at the ups and downs of his shows, from the morning show all the way to the last days of the Late Show. Highly recommended to Letterman fans (although it did tarnish my image of my hero a little bit):

Old 05-03-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everybody blasts Fallon but I would rather watch his show over Colbert any day.
I've never thought that Fallon was very funny, since back to his days on SNL. I find him very bland. I'll watch Colbert once in awhile, but for me it's usually Kimmel and then Seth after that.
Old 05-03-22, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 592 Likes on 370 Posts

Never cared much for Fallon--his interviews are horrible--and especially not Corden--never found him funny. Kimmel and Myers are okay, but I rarely take the time to watch them. I still DVR Colbert's show every night and will sometimes watch the next day, sometimes just delete.