Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

Originally Posted by madcougar
I considered this a nice little FU to people who only tuned in to the finale and/or who only watch the show on DVR. I decided to stay up to watch since it was the last one. I had also DVRed the show for later. I got worried the box would cut off at 11:35 and I would miss the end, but I got to see all of it.
That's the attitude we want to see in TV for its audience.
Old 05-21-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
For whatever reason, after two decades of remaining pretty much politically neutral, Dave suddenly decided he wanted to get ultra political, and really mean-spirited toward certain political parties and ideologies. I've never been much of a fan of one-sided political commentary, be it from the left or right. It was a real turn-off for me, and I eventually just stopped watching.
This is what turned me off to Dave over the past decade or so. His tone became increasingly shrill and condescending once he took a very pronounced turn to the left. As a committed Conservative, I couldn't stand his fawning obsequiousness toward obama along with the rest of the media/entertainment apparatchiks.

Also, the revelation of his affair with junior staffer Stephanie Birkitt was a big turn off for me. What had evolved as a friendly, playful, avuncular relationship on air was exposed as something very seedy. To viewers at this time, there was an almost palpable sense of betrayal as we had come to know Stephanie so well through her regular appearances on the show, not to mention Dave's almost daily updates on his young son. Kudos to his wife for sticking it out.

Anyway, I will always have fond memories of those zany late nights on NBC.
Old 05-21-15, 10:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

how long was the show, cause my DVR only recorded 1hr 02 minutes of it?
Old 05-21-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
how long was the show, cause my DVR only recorded 1hr 02 minutes of it?
I think it ran 77 min. It wasn't planned in advance, so most cable DVR systems cut off at the scheduled time. In retrospect, they should have just scheduled/cut a 90 min finale.
Old 05-21-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's Dave's goodbye and the Foo Fighters for anyone whose DVRs cut off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aq2AZY-qaPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yrVjOUIoo6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-22-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I wish there was a version of the Foo Fighters song without the montage shown over it. I wonder if they just turned off the cameras at that point, but I think they must have shot them performing the whole song. They probably wouldn't want to release it though.
Old 05-22-15, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Not surprising really, but I notice no shots of Bill Cosby's many appearances.

Happy to see Harvey Peakar!
Old 05-22-15, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now this is sad...
Why didn't they auction the set off for charity?
Old 05-22-15, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched the first 20 minutes for the first time ever... I guess it was nice, but it seemed... disingenuous as the guy is from England and had no real relationship with Letterman. It also reminded me what I hate about the Jimmys... they're too kiss-assy. I don't want to watch that.
I hate Corden. He is a talentless fat unfunny piece of shit. I find it really peculiar that he would be giving a tribute to Dave. I know the show simply asks him to do it, but as you day, the guy is English and even now in England most people on the street have no idea who the hell David Lettrman is. American late night TV might get shown on cable in the UK, but it might have only been since the 90, and i dont think the viewing audiences will be big.
Old 05-22-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
Why didn't they auction the set off for charity?
CBS could expend the time and energy to carefully dismantle the contents of the theater, and then expend the time and energy to conduct a sale or auction.

Or they could tear it apart and throw it in the trash in just two days.

What about the money they could have raised for charity?

CBS could guess at what that amount would have been, triple it, and write a check without blinking.
Old 05-22-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The point isn't really the charity but that somebody could own a piece of history instead of it just getting thrown away. If a deprecated stadium can sell its chairs and even things like urinals and dirt, you would think that some pieces of this set would have interested buyers. Maybe the big stuff like the bridge would be hard to deal with, but at least the chairs could have been spared.

Arrested Development had some of its props turn up on eBay, and that show was a failure relative to this one.
Old 05-22-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think anyone knows what they're doing with the set, that's just one picture. I'm sure Dave's desk and iconic microphone aren't going in the garbage. Anyway, maybe Kramer will rescue the set and recreate the show in his apartment.
Old 05-22-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I don't think anyone knows what they're doing with the set, that's just one picture. I'm sure Dave's desk and iconic microphone aren't going in the garbage. Anyway, maybe Kramer will rescue the set and recreate the show in his apartment.
http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/cbs-thr...into-dumpster/

The desk was sent the to Smithsonian, the George Washington Bridge was sent somewhere, and some of Paul Shafer's stuff was sent to him. The rest was dismantled and thrown in a dumpster, where fans began to pick thru it.
Old 05-22-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Finally home so catching up on what I missed this week.

I thought Tom Hanks was good on Monday. Was it his most memorable appearance? No, but good Tom Hanks is still a top ten talk show guest, and it's clear that Dave is always entertained by him which is also important. And clearly the appearance meant enough for Tom to fly halfway across the world just to do the show. Hope that he and Dave do keep in touch like Tom asked as they were going off the air.

The Eddie Vedder was very good, and Sid and Anton were fantastic.
Old 05-22-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wonderful finale for Dave, classy exit goofy silly funny and thoughtful, just like he was the last 2 months of the season. It's incredible how much of this show I watched in the 80s and 90s I remember a lot of that montage.

Sniff, sad to see him go, but glad he went out on his terms.

Looking forward to Colbert as I only watch a little of Conan.. Mostly for music.

Bye Dave..
Old 05-22-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/cbs-thr...into-dumpster/

The desk was sent the to Smithsonian, the George Washington Bridge was sent somewhere, and some of Paul Shafer's stuff was sent to him. The rest was dismantled and thrown in a dumpster, where fans began to pick thru it.
I would think that the Smithsonian would want the whole set -- desk, bridge and background, chairs, and all.
Old 05-22-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Here's some of it....
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Co...&_ipg=50&rt=nc
Old 05-22-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
The point isn't really the charity but that somebody could own a piece of history instead of it just getting thrown away. If a deprecated stadium can sell its chairs and even things like urinals and dirt, you would think that some pieces of this set would have interested buyers. Maybe the big stuff like the bridge would be hard to deal with, but at least the chairs could have been spared.

Arrested Development had some of its props turn up on eBay, and that show was a failure relative to this one.
Of course people would line up to buy the stuff. The point is that it is not in CBS's interest to go to the trouble to sell it to them.

I have desk chair from IKEA that I don't want anymore. Is it worth 25 bucks to me to try and sell it on craigslist? Do I even want to bother to drag it to Goodwill? Or do I leave it by a dumpster and let someone who wants it take it?
Old 05-22-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jumping out of the cake notwithstanding, I thought the Murray show felt a little melancholy. The Dylan song certainly contributed to that feeling. Also, I felt like Regis was owed more than that given his long standing with the show.

The final show was terrific. Thought it was fun that the person Dave was most excited to see was Peyton Manning. Can't believe it's over. I hope he does come back in some capacity.
Old 05-23-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Jumping out of the cake notwithstanding, I thought the Murray show felt a little melancholy. The Dylan song certainly contributed to that feeling. Also, I felt like Regis was owed more than that given his long standing with the show.

The final show was terrific. Thought it was fun that the person Dave was most excited to see was Peyton Manning. Can't believe it's over. I hope he does come back in some capacity.
Manning wrote a nice piece about being on the show.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/21/nfl-pe...ow-finale-cbs/
Old 05-23-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Manning wrote a nice piece about being on the show.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/21/nfl-pe...ow-finale-cbs/
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.
Old 05-23-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Nice piece.
Old 05-24-15, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Of course people would line up to buy the stuff. The point is that it is not in CBS's interest to go to the trouble to sell it to them.

I have desk chair from IKEA that I don't want anymore. Is it worth 25 bucks to me to try and sell it on craigslist? Do I even want to bother to drag it to Goodwill? Or do I leave it by a dumpster and let someone who wants it take it?
They could have sent notices to various places that might want parts of the set. Then after the show, those places would take pieces whole. Looking at those auctions, it looks like they shattered the set into hundreds of pieces.

I wonder how many auctions of 'Dave's Set' are scams. A few of those items could be from anywhere. Fragment of wood. At least a few of them look like part of the buildings from the set.
Old 05-24-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
They could have sent notices to various places that might want parts of the set. Then after the show, those places would take pieces whole. Looking at those auctions, it looks like they shattered the set into hundreds of pieces.

Again, requiring CBS to do something.
Old 05-24-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
The show was never quite the same after it moved to CBS, but I continued watching regularly until the early 2000's.

For whatever reason, after two decades of remaining pretty much politically neutral, Dave suddenly decided he wanted to get ultra political, and really mean-spirited toward certain political parties and ideologies. I've never been much of a fan of one-sided political commentary, be it from the left or right. It was a real turn-off for me, and I eventually just stopped watching.

For me, Late Night with David Letterman (NBC) will always be Dave's greatest legacy.
That pretty much sums it up for me as well. He became a caustic ideologue when it came to politics, and he wasn't nearly as smart as he suddenly thought he was.

Also the stories about what a complete ass he was to work for if you weren't in the inner circle became too numerous to ignore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.