Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

I'm 50 this year and got a good chunk of time to watch Carson, and he was the absolute best.

Jay to me was always a great guest on letterman, but I neve watched his show ever.

Letterman has been more than a solid 2nd though, and an original who stands on his own with his place in talk show and late night history. His top 10, stupid human and stupid pet tricks, Larry bud melman, chris Elliot shtick and tons of other mindless fun stuff brought the form to a new level. His overall show will be missed, but he lost his fastball many years ago, probably the heart attack and the affair, he never quite had the same show vibe.

But I still watched for the good guest because as Julia Roberts said, he does not tolerate stupid people that made him one of the best tv interviewers.

Now it's a love fest everywhere. I can only hope Colbert can bring his sharp wit and irreverence front and center and carry the torch.

Dave will be missed but we are honoring the overall Dave who was an original thru and thru, not the watered down 2015 Dave .

End of an era indeed.
Old 05-16-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

The Norm thing.

<iframe width="561" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X9I9zafXQkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-16-15, 03:37 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Norm still batshit crazy on Twitter?
Old 05-16-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Is Norm still batshit crazy on Twitter?
A lot of the time, yes, he is.
Old 05-16-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Now it's a love fest everywhere.
So true. Fallon & Corben are especially nauseating in their fawning & giggling like schoolgirls. The endless singing & dancing is more suited to daytime than late night.

I really enjoyed the Tom Waits segment with Clooney handcuffed to Dave. Great stuff. The montage of all the outdoor stunts over the years was also a thing of beauty. Norm's standup was great & like Sandler the emotion was heartfelt & shows how much Dave has meant to comedians who grew up & admired him for many years.
Old 05-17-15, 12:04 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
So true. Fallon & Corben are especially nauseating in their fawning & giggling like schoolgirls. The endless singing & dancing is more suited to daytime than late night.
This is so true. I just can't tolerate Jimmy Fallon much anymore. Corden is a bit annoying, but I do love the format of his show where all the guests are out there together.

As for Letterman, I've really enjoyed these last few weeks of shows. Can't believe it's almost over. Really intrigued by what will happen Wednesday with no guests.
Old 05-17-15, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Conan is still good in bits and pieces, especially his "location" shoots. His Cuba show was great.
Old 05-17-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Dave was an interview subject on CBS Sunday Morning, and he told Jane Pauley that after Wednesday we'll probably never see him again.
Old 05-17-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Dave was an interview subject on CBS Sunday Morning, and he told Jane Pauley that after Wednesday we'll probably never see him again.
Pissed cbs doesn't have the entire interview posted. Jane Pauley and Dave on helium, though.
Old 05-17-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Conan is still good in bits and pieces, especially his "location" shoots. His Cuba show was great.
I still like Conan a lot but I wish he'd move his show back to New York. I feel like it was better there and he felt more in his element. I enjoyed him going out on location more there too.
Old 05-17-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Jane Pauley interviewed Dave on CBS Sunday Morning today. Here's a link to the script and some videos, including one from Jim Gaffigan.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-le...-night-career/
Old 05-18-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Sounds like he plans to retire the same way Johnny did.
Old 05-18-15, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Jimmy Fallon may have killed Late Night TV for me, and Letterman leaving this week is sort of symbolic that its sort of a metaphor for the death of late night TV.

I think the difference between Carson, Letterman and even Leno in many ways is they had a presence about them, where Fallon, Kimmel, Meyers, etc all come off like fanboys.

I went back and watched alot of Dave's old NBC clips this weekend on YouTube and god damn he was great back in the day.
Old 05-18-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worth noting that on this week's Last Week Tonight, John Oliver and staff added a photo of David Letterman to their opening credits.
Old 05-19-15, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Jimmy Fallon may have killed Late Night TV for me, and Letterman leaving this week is sort of symbolic that its sort of a metaphor for the death of late night TV.

I think the difference between Carson, Letterman and even Leno in many ways is they had a presence about them, where Fallon, Kimmel, Meyers, etc all come off like fanboys.

I went back and watched alot of Dave's old NBC clips this weekend on YouTube and god damn he was great back in the day.
THIS (part in bold).
Old 05-19-15, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb

Agreed. The only host who I would say had a real presence as a great host who was a relatively newcomer to the late night scene was Ferguson while he was still around. His show always felt special and not like another late night show but something more unique. I would say Conan and Kimmel are both pretty good too but in some ways they do come off as imitations of better hosts (particularly Kimmel).

Guys like Fallon, Corden, and Meyers all play things so safe and don't seem like they'll be memorable in the long run but are just kind of the in guys at the moment.
Old 05-19-15, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hanks wasn't particularly memorable, but the performance of "Better Man" by Eddie sure was.

Still think the Foos should have been on this week and can't for the life of me figure out why they weren't.

Regis has to play some part in Wednesday's show.
Old 05-19-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Eddie's solo performance but wondered why Pearl Jam as a whole group wasn't on. I sort of agree with Hanks not really being memorable for being one of the final guests. I get that it was because he and Dave have a long history but I dunno. It just didn't do much for me.
Old 05-19-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Still think the Foos should have been on this week and can't for the life of me figure out why they weren't.
They still could turn up as a surprise on Wed, but if they do not, it is because they are in Europe starting a world tour this weekend.
Old 05-19-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I liked Eddie's solo performance but wondered why Pearl Jam as a whole group wasn't on. I sort of agree with Hanks not really being memorable for being one of the final guests. I get that it was because he and Dave have a long history but I dunno. It just didn't do much for me.
He was absolutely fantastic on the final NBC show. In addition to always being a good guest, I'm sure that carries some cache.
Old 05-19-15, 02:13 PM

Tom Hanks didn't do much for me at all in this appearance, but I'm not a big fan of his anyway.

Loved seeing Eddie Vedder perform "Better Man" -- which I thought was going to be a solo performance.

Does it get any better than Bill Murray and Bob Dylan tonight? I think not. I really wish Dave would bring Dylan over for a short interview. That would be awesome, but I doubt it happens.
Old 05-19-15, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Fuck Fallon and Conan for running new shows on Dave's last night. At least Kimmel and Comedy Central has enough respect for Dave to run repeats on his finale.
Old 05-19-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck Fallon and Conan for running new shows on Dave's last night. At least Kimmel and Comedy Central has enough respect for Dave to run repeats on his finale.
Conan airs a half hour earlier. He has said that he is going to say something about Dave in the first half hour and then tell people to switch over at 35 minutes after the hour. He is well aware of who David Letterman is and what he has meant to comedy. He wrote a glowing tribute of him in EW that I posted earlier in the thread.

Fallon...who knows. Probably an NBC decision.
Old 05-19-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

you really don't follow Conan, do you.
Old 05-19-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rY-SJaL_eM8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.