Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

This is clearly the best Dave has been in years. Had he been this good consistently I would have been watching him all this time.
Old 05-13-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Yeah during the Stern segment, Letterman seemed mostly unaware about trying to get Leno on. Stern brought it up and Letterman had to ask a producer who said they asked and Leno declined. Not sure if it was known before, but Letterman said that Leno had asked him to be on his last week but he also declined telling him his last week should be about him and thought that is probably Leno's thinking declining him.
I always thought Leno would make an appearance, but at this point, it would have to be a surprise or something.

Letterman and Leno together would have been great television. Disappointing it's not happening.
Old 05-13-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I wonder if there's any chance once Dave's run on The Late Show ends that we'll get some sort of best of DVD or Blu-ray. It'd be cool to see a compilation of the best moments from both the NBC and CBS years and maybe include his final few shows or something.
Old 05-13-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I doubt very much that will ever happen.

This will be the last we see any David Letterman tv shows except for clips here and there.
Old 05-13-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

If I were in charge of CBS, I might consider asking Dave if he would consider moving over to 60 Minutes. He'd get to set his own schedule, and he could do long form conversations that interested him.
Old 05-13-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I thought he said he might do an occasional television item.
Old 05-13-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I thought he said he might do an occasional television item.
Johnny Carson said the same thing. It never happened.
Old 05-13-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yes, but Carson was suffering from severe emphysema (reportedly one of the reasons he left late night)...aside from his heart scare, Letterman's in pretty good shape for his age.
Old 05-13-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I entered a submission for tickets for anytime next week. I figure there's no damn chance it'll happen, but if the form is still up, then why the hell not?
Old 05-13-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I doubt very much that will ever happen.

This will be the last we see any David Letterman tv shows except for clips here and there.
Yeah. It'd be nice if something was made available though. There are quite a few Carson sets and I would think with all the material throughout Letterman's career there'd be some good stuff that fans would purchase if available.
Old 05-13-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, Rob Burnett, who probably knows Dave as well as anyone, says that he believes Letterman has way too much energy to just "disappear" the way that Carson did.

Saw the clip from Julia's appearance and I'm expecting to feel really depressed when I go to sleep tonight.

I was also surprised to read in Rolling Stone that Murray has been to Letterman's place in Montana. It made me feel good somehow to think of those two just hanging out on Dave's gorgeous ranch. Especially since much of the article confirmed that Letterman still avoids being social with many of the people he considers genuine friends, like Brokaw and Regis.
Old 05-14-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
For what it's worth, Rob Burnett, who probably knows Dave as well as anyone, says that he believes Letterman has way too much energy to just "disappear" the way that Carson did.

Saw the clip from Julia's appearance and I'm expecting to feel really depressed when I go to sleep tonight.

I was also surprised to read in Rolling Stone that Murray has been to Letterman's place in Montana. It made me feel good somehow to think of those two just hanging out on Dave's gorgeous ranch. Especially since much of the article confirmed that Letterman still avoids being social with many of the people he considers genuine friends, like Brokaw and Regis.

I loved the Rolling Stone cover story on Dave. Got a kick out of him staying in a loft in NYC three days a week instead of going home. Then, him hating morning rush hour so bad, that he gets up at 6 am and drives to the office by 6:30 am and then goes back to sleep for 3 hours and gets up at 9:30.
Old 05-14-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Any chance Monty will show up on one of the remaining shows?
Old 05-14-15, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, not that I haven't thought this before, but I can't believe there's anyone on the planet who would think Julia Roberts isn't a remarkably beautiful woman.

Again, I just think since this is the end of his run, why Obama (I'm a democrat) got the entire damned show and Julia Roberts was done by 14 after the hour is mystifying to me.

She had a longer visit last time she was on. Julia, Tom and Bill are probably the 3 guests that deserve an entire show or at least most of it.

The things he said about Julia when he came back from commercial were so sweet.

I would sell my youngest child for one of the Late Show jackets she was wearing. I know he has those made for the entire staff each year, so some of the people there have like 33 of those. Each slightly different...so cool.
Old 05-14-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Any chance Monty will show up on one of the remaining shows?
Given the events of 2009, I'm going to go ahead and say no.
Old 05-14-15, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Again, I just think since this is the end of his run, why Obama (I'm a democrat) got the entire damned show and Julia Roberts was done by 14 after the hour is mystifying to me.
Because for some reason Letterman decided to get political the last few years and turned off people like me who like it when a late night talk show host rib on BOTH political parties.

Letterman never used to be that bias, but somewhere between his hatred for Bush 43 and love for Obama, he turned into an outspoken liberal and your bound to turn off a segment of your audience by doing that. Johnny Carson was the model for all late night talk shows hosts as he went after whoever was President and never showed his true political beliefs.
Old 05-14-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This seems silly. When the leader of the free world is on your show, democrat or republican, you give them more time than the star of Pretty Woman.
Old 05-14-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
This seems silly. When the leader of the free world is on your show, democrat or republican, you give them more time than the star of Pretty Woman.
Like any President or Politican whoever showed on a late night ended up actually being interesting? (Other then say Bill Clinton playing the Saxophone on Arsenio is the one time they actually did something spontaneously).

This isn't 'Meet The Press' as I honestly don't know what the hell he could talk about with him for an hour anyway, since he's not going to ask him any tough policy questions? In saying that, its an entertainment show so nobody would want to see a tough 'Tim Russert-like' interview anyway.
Old 05-14-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Because for some reason Letterman decided to get political the last few years and turned off people like me who like it when a late night talk show host rib on BOTH political parties.

Letterman never used to be that bias, but somewhere between his hatred for Bush 43 and love for Obama, he turned into an outspoken liberal and your bound to turn off a segment of your audience by doing that. Johnny Carson was the model for all late night talk shows hosts as he went after whoever was President and never showed his true political beliefs.
Old 05-14-15, 10:40 AM
Banned

Carson did do a few appearances on Dave's show after he retired.
Old 05-14-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

final guests:

Monday-Tom Hanks, Eddie Vedder
Tuesday-Bill Murray
Wednesday-no scheduled guest. lots of surprises...maybe a visit from Regis, maybe a Foo Fighters song? I still hope.
Old 05-14-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Also on Monday, musician and Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder will make a "special music performance backed by Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra," according to the network."

Awesome!
Old 05-14-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
"Also on Monday, musician and Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder will make a "special music performance backed by Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra," according to the network."

Awesome!
I love me some Eddie Vedder as much as anyone else, but it's still almost shocking to me that the Foos weren't the last musical guest.

Vedder and Letterman seemed to get kind of close over the years, but I'd read that Eddie actually has some kind of personal connection with Fallon and that he'd likely give Fallon first dibs at booking him and PJ over the last few years.

The Foos were always on team Letterman.

I'll also be disappointed if Regis isn't part of the last show.

I think I read somewhere that based on the bands/singers doing songs from their first ever appearance with Letterman that Eddie might sing "Black" with the CBS orchestra.
Old 05-14-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I read somewhere that based on the bands/singers doing songs from their first ever appearance with Letterman that Eddie might sing "Black" with the CBS orchestra.
That's kind of what I'm expecting.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OlZKFJueoIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I doubt Bill Murray will be the only guest on Tuesday so I'm sure there is still more to come.
Old 05-14-15, 06:38 PM
Banned

Paul's "On Broadway" performance last night was just awful. I'm glad they didn't let him front the band more often over the years. His sidemen are much better at it (Will and others). It's clear his talents lie elsewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.