David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Old 12-10-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: David Letterman last show May 20 2015

Originally Posted by resinrats
Who was Dave's first guest on CBS? I could see that person being the final guest.
Bill Murray, who i'm willing to bet will be the final "official" guest.

As for the Letterman/Leno feud, from what i've read it's over. You have to remember that these guys were friends back in their stand up days. I wouldn't be shocked to see Leno come on as a guest before it's over.
Old 12-10-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
As for the Letterman/Leno feud, from what i've read it's over. You have to remember that these guys were friends back in their stand up days. I wouldn't be shocked to see Leno come on as a guest before it's over.
I'm guessing some kind of post-retirement skit (pre-filmed) with them both in it. They'll probably throw Arsenio into the mix as well...like a retirement community home or something.
Old 12-10-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

After Letterman steps down I'm pretty much only going to watch Conan at this point. I don't really care for Colbert much, he's just never really been appealed to me with his style. He might grow on me once he's not doing his schtick from The Colbert Report but even without that I just don't really know how much I care for him. Fallon is okay but I can't watch him on a regular basis without getting tired of him. I also don't really care for Seth Meyers. Craig Ferguson is actually probably my favorite host in late night at the moment but he'll be done next week.
Old 12-10-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

See, I'm a huge fan of Colbert, and I never ever found Letterman funny, or amusing. I actually kind of hate him, since he comes of as a bit of an asshole. I always thought he was smug, unfunny and kind of a douche. So I'm actually really stoked to be getting rid of him, and replaced by someone I actually like.
Old 12-10-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I dunno there's just something about Dave I've always liked. He does come off as a crabby old man a lot of the times and maybe somewhat of an asshole but just something about him appeals to me. I like his somewhat dry style of humor and I think that he's one of the best interviewers in late night along with Craig Ferguson when he's interested in the guest. You can tell when Dave doesn't really care for the guest too much, but when someone he's genuinely interested in is on I think he comes off as one of the most sincere people on tv. I think especially as he's gotten older he doesn't care about the Hollywood types so much unless its someone he's friends with or interests him and he doesn't really feign interest very well. I can see where that might be off putting to some but I like that he's not phony.
Old 12-10-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
He does come off as a crabby old man a lot of the times and maybe somewhat of an asshole but just something about him appeals to me.
That's exactly why I love this forum!
Old 12-10-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm guessing some kind of post-retirement skit (pre-filmed) with them both in it. They'll probably throw Arsenio into the mix as well...like a retirement community home or something.
Letterman did that Super Bowl ad with Leno and Oprah, so at least it seems like they be in the same room without drawing blood.
Old 12-11-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sad to see dave go, but it's time.

been recording Colbert the past 6 mos to see what the hype is as I haven't really watched him much before and I gotta say the dude is really great.

Super sharp and funny with great music on his show.

This was a great hire and I expect him to be terrific.

Murray is a shoe in for final guest, wonder who will be final musical act?

Zevon is dead, so maybe Elvis Costello?
Old 12-11-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I dunno there's just something about Dave I've always liked. He does come off as a crabby old man a lot of the times and maybe somewhat of an asshole but just something about him appeals to me. .
I used to LOVE Letterman during his NBC late show days, but something changed in him when he got to CBS. I was watching an interview he did on Carson in 1992 (during Carson's last week) and Dave totally took over the show. He was quick, witty, yet still had that 'asshole' factor, but still likeable. It really made me miss him when he was in his prime and how great he was.

He lost some of that edge when he went to CBS (maybe the $$$ went to his head and he didn't feel the need to try to be as funny?). But lately, he is pretty much unwatchable as he comes off as crabby old man who kind of checked out. And of course he got political in the past 10 years (as he never did during his NBC days), as he showed his partisan side and that was a turnoff too. I like when comedians go after each party equally, but he was easy on Obama.
Old 12-11-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
See, I'm a huge fan of Colbert, and I never ever found Letterman funny, or amusing. I actually kind of hate him, since he comes of as a bit of an asshole. I always thought he was smug, unfunny and kind of a douche. So I'm actually really stoked to be getting rid of him, and replaced by someone I actually like.
Can I ask how old you are? Letterman was AWESOME in the 80s...especially his first few years on the air, when he could go out on the street and people still didn't know who he was...he was pretty much the anti-Late Night host back then.
Old 12-11-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Can I ask how old you are? Letterman was AWESOME in the 80s...especially his first few years on the air, when he could go out on the street and people still didn't know who he was...he was pretty much the anti-Late Night host back then.
I'm 42. Watched some Letterman in the '80s, but mostly in the '90s - never thought he was funny then, but even less funny these days. I don't deny he was a breath of fresh air when he debuted, but that was more than 30 years ago...
Old 12-11-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Describes my feelings for him perfectly. I never "got him". Just never seemed funny to me and the older he's gotten I think he's become the opposite of funny if that's possible. Don't have the same dislike for him I had for Jay but his show was unwatchable for me.
Old 12-11-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I used to LOVE Letterman during his NBC late show days, but something changed in him when he got to CBS. I was watching an interview he did on Carson in 1992 (during Carson's last week) and Dave totally took over the show. He was quick, witty, yet still had that 'asshole' factor, but still likeable. It really made me miss him when he was in his prime and how great he was.

He lost some of that edge when he went to CBS (maybe the $$$ went to his head and he didn't feel the need to try to be as funny?). But lately, he is pretty much unwatchable as he comes off as crabby old man who kind of checked out. And of course he got political in the past 10 years (as he never did during his NBC days), as he showed his partisan side and that was a turnoff too. I like when comedians go after each party equally, but he was easy on Obama.
I like Colbert, but 'back in the day' I really liked Letterman, or more specifically the show. I think a great part of the show's success was predicated on the backstage talent and Letterman was the perfect guy to front it. The things that made it great have not translated well into what I think Dave himself perceives as a more statesmanlike position in entertainment. I think that has led to some of the very valid criticisms you raise about his demeanor and performance. I stopped watching regularly not long after he came to CBS, and over the last ten years or so he has become insufferable and nearly unwatchable.
Old 12-11-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I think a great part of the show's success was predicated on the backstage talent and Letterman was the perfect guy to front it. The things that made it great have not translated well into what I think Dave himself perceives as a more statesmanlike position in entertainment. .
It is always interesting to analyze how a great comedian becomes unfunny? I look at Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, and even a guy like Chevy Chase, who were all funny in their prime, and then became SO unfunny years later.

My personal opinion is they feel they can get a laugh without doing anything because of who they are, and they essentially lose their edge. It's almost like they buy into their own hype and forget what made them funny to begin with, because they made it to the promiseland.

I just remember watching Letterman's first week on CBS in 1993, and I noticed the change right then. He thought he was the king because of the money CBS threw at him, and he was just never the same. I can only think of a handful of comics who truly stayed funny their whole career: Carson, Richard Pryor, George Carlin are the one's that first come to mind.
Old 12-11-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
It is always interesting to analyze how a great comedian becomes unfunny? I look at Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, and even a guy like Chevy Chase, who were all funny in their prime, and then became SO unfunny years later.

My personal opinion is they feel they can get a laugh without doing anything because of who they are, and they essentially lose their edge. It's almost like they buy into their own hype and forget what made them funny to begin with, because they made it to the promiseland.

I just remember watching Letterman's first week on CBS in 1993, and I noticed the change right then. He thought he was the king because of the money CBS threw at him, and he was just never the same. I can only think of a handful of comics who truly stayed funny their whole career: Carson, Richard Pryor, George Carlin are the one's that first come to mind.
Then there are the handful that did not fade if for no other reason than they died before they had a chance to fade, such as Belushi, Kinison, Hedberg, Kaufman, a few others.
Old 12-11-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Colbert, but 'back in the day' I really liked Letterman, or more specifically the show. I think a great part of the show's success was predicated on the backstage talent and Letterman was the perfect guy to front it. The things that made it great have not translated well into what I think Dave himself perceives as a more statesmanlike position in entertainment. I think that has led to some of the very valid criticisms you raise about his demeanor and performance. I stopped watching regularly not long after he came to CBS, and over the last ten years or so he has become insufferable and nearly unwatchable.
No.
Old 03-05-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Letterman Tickets

Just put in for tickets for Letterman for early in May. If by some chance they do call me, I have to answer a trivia question, anybody know some of the questions they might ask? My Googlefoo is failing me.
Old 03-05-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I'm pretty sure it will be "You wanna buy a monkey?"
Old 03-05-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

My question was what is the name of the stage manager
Old 03-05-15, 09:40 PM

Questions I've had before:
Name the stage manager (Biff Henderson)
What does Paul Schaffer play? (Keys/Piano)
What does Dave sometimes throw behind him at the desk? (Pens/Pencils)
Who runs the Hello Deli? (Rupert, who also is the exclusive seller now for Late Show merch - he should be setup in the lobby as you're filing out after the show)

If you're even just an occasional viewer, you'll probably have no problem. Also, I've gotten tickets every single time I have submitted a request thru their site. Usually got a call just a few days before the requested date. Also be prepared for serious audience coaching, more than any other show I've been to.

I saw him last back in September. Was happy to see Jack Hanna on with his animals. Jack goes way back with Dave to the early NBC years (when I was a devoted viewer and the show was at its best IMO), and it was great to see them together. Also I seriously thought a cheetah was going to pounce on a cameraman, that cat look pissed!
Old 03-06-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Geminix
Also be prepared for serious audience coaching, more than any other show I've been to.
I've never been to one of these shows. Curious to hear the inner workings. What sort of audience coaching is there?
Old 03-08-15, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by philo
I've never been to one of these shows. Curious to hear the inner workings. What sort of audience coaching is there?
Interns basically just break you off into groups and have you cheer, clap, etc and tell you what's too much or not enough (this is done before you ever go into the theater). Not a big deal, but the other late night shows I've seen (Conan, Fallon, Meyers) are all much more relaxed and don't work so hard to hype you up.
Old 03-08-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then there are the handful that did not fade if for no other reason than they died before they had a chance to fade, such as Belushi, Kinison, Hedberg, Kaufman, a few others.
Though Carlin is my all-time favorite comedian, nobody makes me laugh as much as Mitch. I often wonder if he would have evolved and maintained his edge as well. Mitch was kind of a throwback to earlier comedians who just delivered a bunch of jokes with no real cohesive subject matter.

Carlin evolved much over his career and his highlight was "Jammin' in New York" in the early 90's. I do think his last few concerts showed his bitterness after the death of Brenda, and became more about attacks, than clever observations.
Old 04-13-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

27 eps left after tonight.

Crap.
:^(
Old 04-13-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Yeah, tonight was Sarah Jessica Parker's last appearance. Her first was in 1991 to promote LA Story, and she's been a favorite of his since. I used to love her appearances on the show back in the early 90s, as she was a lot of fun and pretty much game for anything. She once hit golfballs into the audience. She once went and got her face photocopied. She once say Tomorrow and they released a bunch of "Sandy" dogs to surround her.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.