Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Community - "G.I. Jeff" - 4/3/14

Agreed, it has been a pretty great season
Old 04-06-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Except the show notched a SERIES LOW. So no, not everyone who watched it loved it.
You need to get a grip man. It's like you're refusing to understand basic logic. If it got low ratings, that means many people just didn't see it. You have to make some serious leaps of logic to extrapolate that into people automatically not liking it. You may have a case of people not tuning in due to the last few episodes, but not this one. Still, you're equating ratings with quality, which is a fool's errand. But then that's what trolls do. Whatever though, unlike you, I'm not so insecure that I really care what you think, I just like to point out how silly you're being. Troll on dude!
Old 04-06-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I loved it Thought it was imaginative and funny as hell.
Old 04-06-14, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
You need to get a grip man. It's like you're refusing to understand basic logic. If it got low ratings, that means many people just didn't see it. You have to make some serious leaps of logic to extrapolate that into people automatically not liking it. You may have a case of people not tuning in due to the last few episodes, but not this one. Still, you're equating ratings with quality, which is a fool's errand. But then that's what trolls do. Whatever though, unlike you, I'm not so insecure that I really care what you think, I just like to point out how silly you're being. Troll on dude!
Troll on? I've been watching the show since Day 1 and have contributed in many threads of this show. I'm hardly a "troll" when I've been discussing the show for five years, 90% of the time being positive about the episode.

I find it incredibly sad they you can't see that this episode was probably the most out there of any Community episode ever (let's ignore paintball fights, pillow fights, puppets, claymation) and it just so happens to get a series low. You don't see the correlation between the two or are you just to big of a Community fan that Dan Harmon can do no wrong even after he was fired from his own show and only brought back because hey, at this point it's only the people that watch the show tuning in and it's not like it's going to attract any new eyeballs. Pretty fucking sad that they had to do that when the show should have just ended in Season Three, never continued into a Season Four without the show runner (only for enough episodes for syndication), and brought back for a Fifth in a deal so NBC could get the Blacklist from Sony. Two main cast members have already left the show, both of them asking to be written off!

I find it hysterical how people can rip on the final Season of Lost, Dexter or HIMYM, but not Community, NO way. They did a GI JOE episode! It's so amazing OMG!!!

Sorry, continue watching. Maybe next week it can go even lower and tie Sean Saves the World? Maybe next episode will actually be good? Or are we getting Paintball Fight Part Three?

Two more episodes left - let's hope Harmon crafts a decent final episode (IIRC, the last episode deals with Subway buying the School. No, this is the real plot.)
Old 04-06-14, 04:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've found this season funnier overall than the past two seasons. Getting rid of Chevy Chase greatly improved things.
as much as my friend is a Chevy Chase fan, and I hate to admit it to him, but yes, I agree.
Old 04-06-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it incredibly sad they you can't see that this episode was probably the most out there of any Community episode ever...
Where did I say it wasn't? It was totally out there (and not at all accessible, especially for network TV), but it worked, and if it worked, who fucking cares how much out there it is? I just want good television, and this was that. I'm sorry if the show isn't what YOU want it to be and that you can't appreciate it on it's own terms.
Old 04-06-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Anybody else catch Spud: The Disposable Assassin's cameo? It was in the background of the courtroom scene. For those that don't know, Spud is a comic created by Rob Schrab, friend of Dan Harmon and also the director of the episode, that Harmon also worked on
OMFG... I've been racking my brains trying to remember his name!!! I read a few of the comics in the early 90s and had the computer game, too. But his name would not come to me.
Old 04-06-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Troll on? I've been watching the show since Day 1 and have contributed in many threads of this show. I'm hardly a "troll" when I've been discussing the show for five years, 90% of the time being positive about the episode.

I find it incredibly sad they you can't see that this episode was probably the most out there of any Community episode ever (let's ignore paintball fights, pillow fights, puppets, claymation) and it just so happens to get a series low. You don't see the correlation between the two or are you just to big of a Community fan that Dan Harmon can do no wrong even after he was fired from his own show and only brought back because hey, at this point it's only the people that watch the show tuning in and it's not like it's going to attract any new eyeballs. Pretty fucking sad that they had to do that when the show should have just ended in Season Three, never continued into a Season Four without the show runner (only for enough episodes for syndication), and brought back for a Fifth in a deal so NBC could get the Blacklist from Sony. Two main cast members have already left the show, both of them asking to be written off!

I find it hysterical how people can rip on the final Season of Lost, Dexter or HIMYM, but not Community, NO way. They did a GI JOE episode! It's so amazing OMG!!!

Sorry, continue watching. Maybe next week it can go even lower and tie Sean Saves the World? Maybe next episode will actually be good? Or are we getting Paintball Fight Part Three?

Two more episodes left - let's hope Harmon crafts a decent final episode (IIRC, the last episode deals with Subway buying the School. No, this is the real plot.)
Yes, yes... you know everything about television there is to know. We know... we know. There were absolutely no other factors involved in Community getting a series low than the fact it was an animated homage to GI Joe. We get it. We get it. Hell, you're probably good friends with the Cancellation Bear, too.
Old 04-07-14, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Yes, yes... you know everything about television there is to know. We know... we know. There were absolutely no other factors involved in Community getting a series low than the fact it was an animated homage to GI Joe. We get it. We get it. Hell, you're probably good friends with the Cancellation Bear, too.
It's pretty sad when fans turn a blind eye just because it's a show that was amazing for a time and is now pretty bad. I see it with Glee and Dexter. Shame.

Sorry, continue on with how amazing this episode and how it reached so many new eyeballs...
Old 04-07-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I was disappointed in last season, and I have thought this season has been hit and miss, but I really did enjoy this episode. We're not all blind sycophants. Believe it or not, some people have different taste. I'm not "lying to myself" that I liked the episode. I was entertained and chuckled a few times. Good enough for me.
Old 04-07-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
OMFG... I've been racking my brains trying to remember his name!!! I read a few of the comics in the early 90s and had the computer game, too. But his name would not come to me.
It didn't quite come to Joltman, either. He's Scud the disposable assassin.
Old 04-07-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've watched this episode a few times, it gets better with every viewing

At this point I think Harmon and company are just focused on the fans. The show has always had its ups and downs, this season is no different though I've found it more consistently entertaining than the last two seasons so it's definitely not "pretty bad" at this point.

But Glee? Really? Glee was never good.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-07-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's pretty sad when fans turn a blind eye just because it's a show that was amazing for a time and is now pretty bad. I see it with Glee and Dexter. Shame.

Sorry, continue on with how amazing this episode and how it reached so many new eyeballs...
False equivalency; nice troll tactic.

Never seen Glee, but unlike Community, when Dexter went to shit (which honestly, was never all that great), everyone that was still watching pretty much agreed. You seem to be the only one blowing that horn here, and trying to make a silly point that people who didn't even see it agree with you. Keep trolling, this is fun!
Old 04-07-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Watched it this week - and it was a fun episode

I did a lot of rewinding, pausing etc.

I was a huge GI Joe fan - collected toys, comic books, watched the show every day on Ch 11 (NY)

They even showed cobra commander as a snake man (when his armor melts off at the end) nod to joe the movie cartoon when he becomes a snake
Old 04-07-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You keep bringing this up, and I seriously and honestly don't understand why this is an issue for you. Unless you're involved somehow in the production of the show, or have some financial stake in NBC, who cares?

Community has been living on borrowed time pretty much since the beginning, and it's allowed them to take more chances and do offbeat, weird, interesting TV than almost any other show on network TV. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I'll gladly take something that tries something different and maybe comes up short than something concerning itself solely with "reaching new eyeballs".
Old 04-07-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's his thing. Not so much ratings, but condemning things before it actually happens. Primarily TV shows and game consoles.

It's less straight up trolling, since trolls usually don't believe what they're saying, and more of a "I'm right, you're wrong" thing.
Old 04-07-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 981 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
But Glee? Really? Glee was never good.
The first half of season 1 of Glee is awesome--subversive and darkly hilarious. I think it's because it was made "in a vacuum." Those 13 episodes were filmed before the season began airing. It got hugely popular right away, and it was obvious the writers then started playing to the crowd, and the show went quickly downhill.

Anyway, I understand how this episode of Community may not click with a lot of people, but to me it was great.
Old 04-07-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's even sadder how you completely miss the points I'm making. Point 1, Dan Harmon could give two shits about attracting an audience at this point. Point 2, to say that Community's ratings were what they were based SOLELY on the concept of the episode is nearsighted at best, completely stupid at worst. Using this logic, you can program a show at any hour of the day on any day because there are absolutely no factors that will affect who watches it. Heck, that's probably why Revolution's ratings are as good today as they were after it aired behind The Voice, right?

The show does not exist in a vacuum. Things like the fact that BBT was new and a host of other factors certainly did affect its ratings. Now I'm not so blind to say that the fact the show started as a cartoon didn't keep some people from tuning out, but to say that is the one and only reason just doesn't make sense.

As to what you think as opposed to what I think about the episode, it's all subjective. One man's trash is other man's treasure and vice versa. I don't care that you didn't like it because I loved it. And in the end, if the show gets cancelled, I'll be happy this episode exists and that Harmon didn't water down the show to "attract an audience."
Old 04-08-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Allison Brie looked really hot this episode.
Old 04-08-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

For me this was an outstanding concept for an episode with a remarkable attention to detail to a cartoon I loved as a kid. And I didn't laugh once, and I'm sure I caught 99% of the G.I. Joe references.

This seems to be the new normal for me on Community - a creative show that just isn't very funny anymore. And I had such high hopes for this season.
Old 04-08-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

This season has been a huge improvement over last year. They haven't all been home runs but at least the characters are back to 'normal,' which helps carry the show when it's not at it's peak. Season 4 can die in a fire. Killing Chase was a good move, but Abed is missing Troy. If by some miracle we get a sixth season, hopefully Glover reprises his role.

I was never a Joe fan but it was a fun episode with some decent laughs.
Old 04-09-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
For me this was an outstanding concept for an episode with a remarkable attention to detail to a cartoon I loved as a kid. And I didn't laugh once, and I'm sure I caught 99% of the G.I. Joe references.
With great parody/satire, I don't ever find myself laughing as it happens. I laugh at it later when reflecting on it.

This seems to be the new normal for me on Community - a creative show that just isn't very funny anymore. And I had such high hopes for this season.
I think this was a wonderful concept for an episode, but the "real world" setup wasn't all there. I don't have an issue with the *why* behind the cartoon, I just felt horribly underwhelmed by the quick "everyone around Jeff" ending. I'm not mad it brought the cartoon to an end, I'm just mad it seemed so rushed.

I half expected a reveal like the Futurama episode "The Sting", except it never got anywhere near as awesome as that episode.
Old 04-10-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wish Troy was in this episode. I wonder what his name would have been?
Old 04-11-14, 08:34 AM
FM

It seems that Allison Bree/Annie is dressing much more conservatively (read: little to no cleavage) this season. Has anyone read or heard why this might be? Or maybe I'm just imagining it.
Old 04-11-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FM
It seems that Allison Bree/Annie is dressing much more conservatively (read: little to no cleavage) this season. Has anyone read or heard why this might be? Or maybe I'm just imagining it.
I haven't heard anything directly, but I get the impression they were trying to make her more grown up this season. Outside of the first part of the finale, I don't remember her wearing a dress or skirt, just pants.