Reload this Page >

How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

Old 04-01-14, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

The kids essentially said Robin had been hanging out a lot recently. Since she had the apartment and dogs, I'm supposing that is the cue that she was more permanently in NYC.

Tracy definitely got shafted ... She got to pop out his kids (without being married ... was that Ted still on Robin) and then die to clear the way for the woman who would have been perfect except she didn't want kids but instead wanted to travel.
Old 04-01-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so writing this before I read the thoughts of others.

I loved how it ended. I went through various phases of Ted/Robin should be together/shouldn't be together (esp because she didn't want kids) and after the whole necklace thing and Robin having doubts about Barney, I was left wanting Ted/Robin to end up together. I felt bad for Robin when she said that 'This was not her gang.'

I have to admit, I did not ever contemplate Robin and Barney getting divorced and having Ted be single (either through death or divorce) and having a second chance with Robin. Even before Barney and Robin got together, I thought that Ted always referring to her as "Aunt Robin" kind of sealed the deal that she was not the mother. Never thought that it would end that way, but glad it did.

It was cool to see the kids finally talk and it was great that the actors who played them knew the ending the whole time!

It was a very satisfying finale for me. Everyone pretty much got what they wanted, and Barney finally grew up and became an adult.

Loved the scene at the train station with the umbrella.

This show has always been about Ted/Robin - and the kids lines confirmed that.

Long live Supreme Fudge.
Old 04-01-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I really liked it.

I was glad to see that the writers had always planned to give me what I wanted since the beginning of the show:

A dead mother and Ted & Robin together happily ever after.

I take back the bad stuff I said a few weeks ago about dragging out the Robin/Ted stuff if they weren't going to end up together.
Old 04-01-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I don't think anyone on the show expected it to last 9 seasons. It was a bubble show for its first 2 seasons, when they filmed that finale.

Originally Posted by madcougar
Fuck Bays & Thomas. Fuck them in their stupid asses.

I guess I should have seen this load of shit coming a mile away what with how they continued the will they/won't they bullshit up until the next to the last episode. But I think it's ridiculous to set up an entire season of episodes to convince us that Barney and Robin are right for each other just to shit on it 10 minutes into the last episode. This episode, minus the crap ending, also felt super rushed, like all of a sudden they ran out of episodes and no one noticed. I think it's just shitty storytelling to set up the mother to be this angel-like creature just to kill her off to hook Ted up with women who is a boozy slut at best and a boozy slut at worst. Fuck you Bays & Thomas fuck you up your stupid asses.
The kids were right though, the story always was about Robin, not Tracy. And this was all told in the perspective of moving on past a traumatic loss, 6 years later. It was a decent way to lay it out, it just wasn't at all what I was expecting and I don't feel it came off quite the way they intended. It would have worked a lot better if this were a 4 season show instead of 9.
Old 04-01-14, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't think anyone on the show expected it to last 9 seasons. It was a bubble show for its first 2 seasons, when they filmed that finale.

The kids were right though, the story always was about Robin, not Tracy. And this was all told in the perspective of moving on past a traumatic loss, 6 years later. It was a decent way to lay it out, it just wasn't at all what I was expecting and I don't feel it came off quite the way they intended. It would have worked a lot better if this were a 4 season show instead of 9.
I agree with you. I was a HUGE fan those first few bubble seasons. On a weird aside, it's interesting to see how broadcast television has changed so much in the last 9 years. In 2005 the average episode of HIMYM had about 9 million viewers and that made it a bubble show. Today it's the third most watched sitcom and it has about... 9 million viewers. But I digress...

I actually think they could have pulled this off if they hadn't gotten the last minute 9th season. When Jason Segel agreed to return for season 9 in December 2012, they were about to start shooting what would have been the last 10 episodes or so of the show for season 8. Had they not dragged out Robin and Barney's wedding and had we not gotten to know the mother as well, this ending may have worked. But that's not what happened and Bays & Thomas didn't adapt the story to the show's new reality. Instead, they stuck to their guns and pissed off a whole lot of people.

This review in Vulture perfectly encapsulates my point of view on this.
Old 04-01-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I'm seeing, at least in this forum, is that most of the defenders of the shows, that before the finale didn't care too much about the ending, that it was all about the journey... hated the finale. madcougar is my best example, besides me.

I was never a fan of Robin, watching the finale she acted like a bitch most of the episode. When they hinted about her an Ted again, a few times during the episode, I loled, I thought "they are still trolling the fans". And then they killed the mother.

Actually, I was fine if they decided to kill the mother. I mean, I didn't want the last scene to be the funeral. But yeah, she died, she was the love of my life, I will love her forever, and stuff.

And this: Ted and Robin ARE NOT Ross and Rachel!!!!

I know that HIMYM was always considered the Friends successor, even sometimes by me, maybe the writers thought about that. But no, the show was never about Ted and Robin. I would even fine if he finally ends with.. what's her name? The one everyone likes that makes cakes.
Old 04-01-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So yeah, still mad. Someone post the links to all the polls.
Old 04-01-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nine years to learn how he met the mother, nine minutes to kill her off. And even though the very first episode implied it would NOT end up with Ted/Robin, it does. I really think the writers became as bored with the whole concept as I did.
Old 04-01-14, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I really liked the finale, although it did feel slightly rushed.

Perhaps instead of 20+ episodes for the weekend of the wedding (that didn't last), they could've spent the last 5 or 6 episodes fleshing out the future of the group.

Are we certain that the mother's death was natural? Robin has traveled the world, she could've picked up some foreign poison to get her out of the way.
That approach might what worked much better than what was done this season.
Old 04-01-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's fairly obvious right now that the series sequel, How I Met Your Father will end with Barney being the dad.
Old 04-01-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by vaporware
I think it's fairly obvious right now that the series sequel, How I Met Your Father will end with Barney being the dad.
Honestly that would be cool. They could go ahead and film the ending now and have it ready to go at the end. It would explain why they were so vague on woman 31.
Old 04-01-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't even think of that. It would be pretty cool.
Old 04-01-14, 09:36 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Well..you just ruined the big reveal. Now they'll just deny it for 9 years and then figure out a way to do it on a technicality.
Old 04-01-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Well it'll be like this show, yeah this is how he met their mother, but he wants Robin's cougar snatch.
Old 04-01-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

While I feel cheated, I feel luckier than most who followed the show as I didn't invest as much time.

I watched the first 8 seasons within a 8 month span or so, and going by the running time of the series - it's the same time invested... but I find I get more attached to a show if I watch it during the real-time span of the series. These characters were only with me about 1 year in total... as opposed to 9 years. Had I watched this series from the year it aired or a year or two after - I'd feel A LOT more cheated.
Old 04-01-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

That might traumatize the kids...

"I was slut #31... and THAT's how I met your father... and got a STD".
Old 04-01-14, 10:41 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

CBS comedy “How I Met Your Mother” surged more than 50% week-to-week in key demos Monday as it wrapped its nine-season run with its best-ever young-adult delivery.

According to preliminary national estimates from Nielsen, “How I Met Your Mother” averaged a 5.3 rating/16 share in adults 18-49 and nearly 13 million viewers overall, with the total viewership also a high for the show. It was easily the night’s top program in adults 18-49, 25-54 and other key categories.

Its 18-49 score— a 51% spike from last week’s 3.5 rating — is the second highest for any regularly scheduled comedy this season, just a bit behind the 5.5 that CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory” delivered for its season premiere last September.

The “HIMYM” numbers are in line with the series finale of “The King of Queens” on CBS in May 2007 (5.2 in 18-49 and 13.6 million total viewers) — an impressive feat given the changes in the TV landscape in those seven years.

By comparison, NBC’s “The Office,” wrapped last May with a 3.0 demo rating and about 6 million viewers.

“Mother” was the rare sitcom that went out while still a strong ratings performer. For the season, it ranked third among all comedies on television in adults 18-49 — behind only “The Big Bang Theory” and “Modern Family.”
Old 04-01-14, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I was never a fan of Robin, watching the finale she acted like a bitch most of the episode. When they hinted about her an Ted again, a few times during the episode, I loled, I thought "they are still trolling the fans". And then they killed the mother.

Actually, I was fine if they decided to kill the mother. I mean, I didn't want the last scene to be the funeral. But yeah, she died, she was the love of my life, I will love her forever, and stuff.
My thoughts as well. The mother was such a likable character, seemingly perfect for Ted, etc. And despite having 9 years invested in Robin, I still think she seemed like a bitch that would just end up walking all over Ted again.

I'd have much preferred an ending where Ted has nobody because he knows nobody could ever compare to Tracy.
Old 04-01-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of laugh at myself for getting outraged at a sitcom finale. Kind of.

But yeah, they had great chemistry. As I mentioned before I would watch a movie starring both of them.

And Robin. She basically used Barney. They got married and she decided that her work was the most important thing. Barney it seems was the only one in love. It felt like he even loved her after the split. She basically just used Barney for sex. I wouldn't be surprised if she is with Ted and she still wants to have sex with Barney on the side.

Yeah, I hate Robin. I would never be able to rewatch the series because I would hate every scene she's in.

Ted? No one cares about Ted.
Old 04-01-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

How I met your mother, who luckily kicked off soon enough that I was able to get with the girl I really wanted all along, Robin Scherbatsky
Old 04-01-14, 11:16 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This is the fail people should be talking about... he sounds like Saget all these years, then his voice suddenly changes? Why didn't they just have Radnor do the VOs all this time? Or dub in Saget for the final scene?
They should have started the episode with Saget saying, "Kids... hold on a sec..." and coughing a few times, then Radnor's voice taking over... "Sorry, I don't know what's up with my voice lately" and continuing on. That would have fit in perfectly with the silly winking style of the show.
Old 04-01-14, 11:30 AM

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1hqklWJxUTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the episode that really foreshadows everything
Old 04-01-14, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
While I feel cheated, I feel luckier than most who followed the show as I didn't invest as much time.

I watched the first 8 seasons within a 8 month span or so, and going by the running time of the series - it's the same time invested... but I find I get more attached to a show if I watch it during the real-time span of the series. These characters were only with me about 1 year in total... as opposed to 9 years. Had I watched this series from the year it aired or a year or two after - I'd feel A LOT more cheated.
I also kind of feel that way. I only started watching the show through syndication a couple of years ago and I would catch up on Netflix. I watched this season in real time. I can see why some fans do feel cheated.
Old 04-01-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

Ted? No one cares about Ted.
I've kind of felt this way for years. What redeeming qualities does he have? It's like the writers have felt that being a hopeless romantic was enough to root for him throughout the show's run.

People here say Ted & Robin aren't Ross & Rachel? I agree -- at least Ross earned his relationship with Rachel. It's not like he pined away for some other person, who eventually died in 10 years and still ended up with Rachel before the plumbing stopped working
Old 04-01-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind the conclusion (widower Ted ending up with divorcee Robin), but I'd rather have seen this season start with Ted/Tracy meeting and given the viewers more of them together.

I hate to say it, but I wish that the reveal that Ted was a widower should have been a punch in the gut, not a kick in the nuts. News of Tracy's death should have been a tearjerker, not a moment of "meh."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.