Reload this Page >

How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

Old 01-20-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

I'm sure they did see it, they just didn't care.
Old 01-20-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
By the way, aren't we something like 2 1/2 years removed from the finale now? (I binged the show on Netflix; I may have watched the final season on broadcast, but I don't recall.)
Air date is in the thread title.
Old 01-20-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Air date is in the thread title.
I'm sure I did see it, I just didn't care. (D'oh!)
Old 01-21-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Man almost 2 years later...

Old 01-21-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure about posting "Let it goo" as white stuff flies out of a Disney character's hand ... Better ask Miggs.
Old 01-21-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm sure I did see it, I just didn't care. (D'oh!)
Old 01-22-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I wrote this show off after the finale. I remember the fan made ending that was really good. This "official" alternate ending was great. How the fuck didn't they go with that. Wow. I'm even more pissed.
I also never bothered to seek out the "official" alternate ending... but that was great. It reminded me what I loved about the show... and how the creators basically anally raped my affection for the show with that awful ending.

Fuck them.
Old 01-22-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

That 40% approval rating is dropping by the minute.
Old 01-22-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madcougar
I also never bothered to seek out the "official" alternate ending... but that was great. It reminded me what I loved about the show... and how the creators basically anally raped my affection for the show with that awful ending.
Would it have been better if they vaginally raped your affection?
Asking for a friend.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Old 01-22-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sarah Palin endorsement?
Old 03-19-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... after swearing off the show after watching this episode, the series finale, I just started watching the show again, from the beginning.

I haven't watched any episode of the show since this episode aired. But we were looking for a show to marathon, my wife and 11 years old daughter, and our first option was Fringe, but it wasn't available in Netflix anymore, so we decided to go with HIMYM.

My wife only watched until season 4 or something like that, when it originally aired. We have really liked the first season, we are at episode 15 or something like that. I didn't remember that the show started that strong in the first season.

I do remember that it got repetitive, like most shows, after season 4. But when my wife asked which was my favorite episode of the show, I told her that it was the episodes with the mom, in the last season. So yeah, the last season, and probably the second to last were really strong.
Old 03-20-17, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Urgh, this just reminded me how they painstakingly spent an entire season detailing a wedding and just destroyed it in half an episode.
Old 03-20-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Well... after swearing off the show after watching this episode, the series finale, I just started watching the show again, from the beginning.

I haven't watched any episode of the show since this episode aired. But we were looking for a show to marathon, my wife and 11 years old daughter, and our first option was Fringe, but it wasn't available in Netflix anymore, so we decided to go with HIMYM.

My wife only watched until season 4 or something like that, when it originally aired. We have really liked the first season, we are at episode 15 or something like that. I didn't remember that the show started that strong in the first season.

I do remember that it got repetitive, like most shows, after season 4. But when my wife asked which was my favorite episode of the show, I told her that it was the episodes with the mom, in the last season. So yeah, the last season, and probably the second to last were really strong.
I didn't expect to revisit this show, but I was bored and watched season one on Netflix recently. I'd forgotten how many good episodes were in that season. I didn't start watching the show until around season 3 and then backtracked in syndication. A whole lot actually happened in that first season.
Old 03-20-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

See, this is one of the problems with today's TV. Social networks can affect shows.

The writers/creators had this ending from the beginning, they always thought this would be the perfect ending. And you always read complaints about other shows, that they have no idea, that they are making stuff without a big plan or something.

But they should've known. The chemistry between Ted and the mom was just magical. It was right there, in front of them. They just couldn't see it.
The whole idea that shows can't make it up as they go along isn't very fair to the creators. Ultimately, having the entire arc figured out is impossible if you don't know how many episodes/seasons you're doing. If HIMYM went for 3 or 4 seasons, maybe the ending would have been perfect. Alas, they went much longer and dicked around with the Robin/Ted relationship far too much for the ending to have a positive impact.

The truth may very well be that the creators were far too stubborn to pay attention to what the fans were saying all along. Or maybe they got caught up in the stink of LOST and felt that they'd flub everything if they "made it up as they went along". I don't know.

But Vince Gilligan admitted to making up Breaking Bad as the show went along and they nailed it right until the end. The difference is that HIMYM ran out of story to tell and got, no pun intended, lost. At that point, it makes more sense to change it up than stick to your plan.

But good for you for getting back into the show. I watch episodes here and there when I catch it on syndication but I have trouble sitting through episodes from later seasons. They're just not fun. That's why I don't think I'd give this show another run.
Old 03-20-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah the show was really fun and well done for a while, but that wedding season IMO was awful. Just drag drag drag things out. The subplot required to deal with Segel's availability issues only made it worse.
Old 03-20-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The whole idea that shows can't make it up as they go along isn't very fair to the creators. Ultimately, having the entire arc figured out is impossible if you don't know how many episodes/seasons you're doing. If HIMYM went for 3 or 4 seasons, maybe the ending would have been perfect. Alas, they went much longer and dicked around with the Robin/Ted relationship far too much for the ending to have a positive impact.

The truth may very well be that the creators were far too stubborn to pay attention to what the fans were saying all along. Or maybe they got caught up in the stink of LOST and felt that they'd flub everything if they "made it up as they went along". I don't know.

But Vince Gilligan admitted to making up Breaking Bad as the show went along and they nailed it right until the end. The difference is that HIMYM ran out of story to tell and got, no pun intended, lost. At that point, it makes more sense to change it up than stick to your plan.

But good for you for getting back into the show. I watch episodes here and there when I catch it on syndication but I have trouble sitting through episodes from later seasons. They're just not fun. That's why I don't think I'd give this show another run.
Very good post. I agree some shows need to be allowed to evolve organically. I think the consternation about shows being done on the fly comes from there being a much higher likelihood of not ending well due to a number of factors: network interference, fan shit and more.

Breaking Bad proves it can happen, but I think it's an exception and not the rule.
Old 03-20-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The last season had some terrible episodes, but the stuff with the mother was gold. I've rewatched those episodes a number of times. Cristin Milioti needs another series after A to Z (which I liked) failed.
Old 03-20-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I mostly liked the final season, the ending was completely tacked on and unnecessary but overall it was fine with me.
Old 03-20-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Very good post. I agree some shows need to be allowed to evolve organically. I think the consternation about shows being done on the fly comes from there being a much higher likelihood of not ending well due to a number of factors: network interference, fan shit and more.

Breaking Bad proves it can happen, but I think it's an exception and not the rule.
You have to be faithful to your show. Yes, Vince, and his team, were writing the show along the way, but they were always respectful of their show.

For a sitcom is harder to do that though. Friends had really bad seasons at the end, but they delivered in the series finale, because they respected the show.
Old 03-21-17, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I haven't really revisited HIMYM other than the Holiday episodes since the show ended. I hope to watch it through again soon along with One Tree Hill.
Old 03-21-17, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every once in a while channel surfing we'll come across it and watch a bit. I found I really don't find it all that appealing since it finished. Even though she has the whole series on DVD, my wife still marathons the cable versions and I find them just as good as they were years ago.
Old 03-21-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to be faithful to your show. Yes, Vince, and his team, were writing the show along the way, but they were always respectful of their show.

For a sitcom is harder to do that though. Friends had really bad seasons at the end, but they delivered in the series finale, because they respected the show.
Agreed. And to that point, Lost treated their finale like a $5 whore.
Old 03-21-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Still one of my favorite shows of all time. I think it helps that my wife and I watched the whole thing together from when we started dating, to marriage and then the series ended shortly after having our second child. So in that sense it was part of how we started our lives together.

Having said that, I still hate the finale and it's been the only episode of the series that I've only seen once because I don't want to see it again. It was a huge slap in the face of fans, Slapsgiving style.
Old 03-21-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Maybe instead of the failed How I Met Your Father spinoff, they could do a short spinoff featuring Ted and Tracy during their years together (until her death).

They had some really good scenes together, so I'd like to see that expanded.
Old 03-22-17, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I bailed after season 7 of the original run just because it had become a shell of its former self and I didn't want to tarnish my memory of the show because vintage HIMYM is one of the best shows ever.

So I had already emotionally detached the final seasons from the first 4 or so when it was so great. Looks like that was the best decision I ever made because I just finished watching the entire run and I wasn't nearly as upset as you all were or as I probably would have been had I stuck it out originally.

I never really cared who the mother was as that was just a unique device to make the show stand out and possibly get it green-lit in the first place. It was still just a sitcom so the ending didn't ruin the show for me like Lost was ruined. I didn't even mind that the final season took place over one weekend. Like I said, I had already separated the bad seasons from the vintage ones so nothing really changed for me. I'll always love the show for what it was at its peak and there are plenty of those episodes to enjoy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.