Reload this Page >

Helix -- Season Finale -- "Dans L'ombre" -- 3/28/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-28-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Episode Synopsis: In the Season 1 finale, Alan and Walker battle the Scythe to save the world from disaster. Original Air Date: Mar 28, 2014

Episode 13 of 13

Looking forward to seeing how they wrap season 1 up (or day 13)

In case you missed it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-676160

Renewed for a 13 episode 2nd season. Will premiere Winter 2015, which probably means around January-February next year.

For those who recorded this & haven't watched yet, not trusting SyFy, you can finally watch

Here's the main reason why SyFy is giving Helix another season:

The series, from Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore and Lost's Steven Maeda, the latter of whom serves as showrunner, opened to 1.8 million viewers in January, growing 65 percent in live-plus-3 DVR returns to 2.8 million and shattering network ratings in total viewers, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54. When factoring in seven-day delayed viewing, Helix set network records and grew 82 percent among adults 18-49, 74 percent among adults 25-54 and 64 percent in total viewers -- the largest increases ever for a Syfy scripted series in live-plus-7 returns.

Helix has averaged 2.1 million total viewers, 1.1 million adults 25-54 and 1 million adults 18-49.
Old 03-28-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Helix -- Season Finale -- "Dans L'ombre" -- 3/28/14

As I mentioned before, they keep you entertained. There's a lot of variety, some stuff works, and some other don't. But you can't never say that nothing happened in an episode. The acting from the main characters is generally good too. But the secondary characters are generally lame.

It will be hard to keep the pace for the second season though. And now I have to watch tonight, to see if they left the finale open ended, or we have some kind of closure.
Old 03-29-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm watching this now ... who the hell is the guy Billy Campbell is beating/interrogating?!
Old 03-29-14, 05:31 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I'm watching this now ... who the hell is the guy Billy Campbell is beating/interrogating?!
I'm assuming he's one of the 500, given the silver eye. It looks like Farragut will be looking for Julie for almost a year.
Old 03-29-14, 06:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the ending felt rushed and unsatisfying.
Old 03-29-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll probably give it a look next season. The first five episodes didn't do much for me but Syfy will hammer them to refine the rough edges. First move: get rid of all the poor actors.
Old 03-29-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
the ending felt rushed and unsatisfying.
I liked it, changing the scope from that facility to the real world.
Old 03-30-14, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I stuck with it, but ultimately didn't care about any of the characters. I won't be tuning in to season 2.
Old 03-30-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

never got around to watching this, but it seems like typical Syfy fare. Decent premise, OK story, but nothing to keep you coming back. With the exception of BSG, almost every series has been like this (unless it is imported).
Old 03-30-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
never got around to watching this, but it seems like typical Syfy fare. Decent premise, OK story, but nothing to keep you coming back. With the exception of BSG, almost every series has been like this (unless it is imported).
I disagree with that. While Lost Girl, Continuum, and Bitten are pretty good, SyFy has plenty of great home grown programming. Haven is awesome, Being Human is pretty damn good, while Warehouse 13 and Eureka were both quirky and fun.

Helix is an odd ball because the show started off in one direction, and then took a turn as the season progressed. Where they ended was nothing like where they started. and now I'm really intrigued by where the show is headed next season.
Old 03-31-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked the finale. I really like the writers, they are amazing. The first and last scene were a big WTF moment.

I'll be there for S2.
Old 04-12-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finished the finale.

Show took a huge 360 degree turn. The concept is nothing at all now like how it originated. Plus now they've jumped forward in time over 200 days.

Let's see:

Sarah is pregnant with Alan's kid.

Jules disappears and re-appears in France with a bunch of fellow silver eyed immortals.

The base which was a big part of the first season is no longer in play. I guess this answers the question now of how this shows story arc is sustainable for another season.

Such an oddball science fiction show, yet I'm intrigued to see where it goes from here.

Phantom Stranger said in his comment that they need to dump the weak actors. Who would that be?

Alan, Jules, Sarah, Hatake and Alan's brother Peter are all pretty important. And I don't know if you could jump back into this show 10 months from now having only seen 5 episodes and not having seen the change in direction and set up for season 2.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-12-14 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-12-14, 05:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the weak actors were the fat blonde (dead thankfully), the annoying eskimo lady with the brothers, and... the fat brothers. They couldn't act their ways out of a wet paper bag.
Old 04-12-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed season one and looking forward to more.
Old 04-13-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
the weak actors were the fat blonde (dead thankfully), the annoying eskimo lady with the brothers, and... the fat brothers. They couldn't act their ways out of a wet paper bag.
Maybe you'll get your wish in S2. One fat brother is gone, the other one and his sister are all about their home....in the arctic. Maybe they won't leave it for sunny France.

The show did take a big turn but I am fine with that....I'm not sure I am fine with the brother being in with the bad guys just because Alan was always better at stuff.